King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: Darius Garland 

Post#101 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
okay? so far they were. as if people here haven't been wrong before? what does that have to do with my opinion on Garland?

For me, nothing. For him, he is trying to say you have zero credibility and shut up. I like your opinions regardless if I agree to disagree.

and that conversation was over until you just brought it back up.

and i dont really give a **** whether you or him think I have credibility or not. :lol:

I was taking up for you dude
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#102 » by CoreyVillains » Sun May 5, 2019 1:51 pm

I know there’s isnt a ton of Garland tape, so I spent most of yesterday breaking down his game vs Winthrop. I went through and cut up basically every possession where he was involved in a meaningful way, both offensively and defensively. It’s only one game, but hopefully this helps clear things up for some as it’s not just a highlight reel.

The impression I came away with from this game is that he is excellent at creating his own shot one on one or out of P&R, he’ll be an elite catch and shoot shooter with a ridiculously quick release, he isn’t a next level passer but he makes the right reads and will find you if you’re moving, his low assist numbers don’t tell the whole story, he can run an NBA offense.

Defensively he was really good in this game. He wasn’t guarding Steph or Klay but he did his job against the guys in front of him. He communicates a lot, always pointing stuff out and talking. He has really quick feet and can switch his stance very well on change of direction. Outside of one possession he closes out in his stance with with a hand up. He is good at fighting through screens and chasing guys around. He’s stronger and longer than he’s made out to be and he competes defensively. There are a few occasions he’s out of position, sometimes he helps a bit much on a shooter. He isn’t primed to be Patrick Beverly, but he’s also not the lost cause a lot of people make him out to be.

I’ll be doing more of these with some other prospects that’ll be available on my site (http://www.hardwoodherald.com). Enjoy guys!

Offense:

Defense:

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#103 » by Coeur » Sun May 5, 2019 3:55 pm

Garland scares me to project. Seems so small. And then you realize that if we all saw him do his thing 30+ times this year he would have done so much amazing stuff that he’s have a huge base here as a 2-5 pick.

If you are Chicago or whoever how do you look at garland vs Coby White ?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#104 » by Stillwater » Sun May 5, 2019 4:19 pm

Coeur wrote:Garland scares me to project. Seems so small. And then you realize that if we all saw him do his thing 30+ times this year he would have done so much amazing stuff that he’s have a huge base here as a 2-5 pick.

He is small compared to White and will struggle some defensively...but Garlands handle is arguably the best in the draft and his ability to create for himself is elite...along with a high level arsenal of scoring ability. creating for others though is still a work in progress so to me it's only a question of fit for Chicago and I would guess White's versatility as a 2 way player and speed makes more sense next to the scorer Lavine
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#105 » by Axolotl » Sun May 5, 2019 6:27 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Spoiler:
I know there’s isnt a ton of Garland tape, so I spent most of yesterday breaking down his game vs Winthrop. I went through and cut up basically every possession where he was involved in a meaningful way, both offensively and defensively. It’s only one game, but hopefully this helps clear things up for some as it’s not just a highlight reel.

The impression I came away with from this game is that he is excellent at creating his own shot one on one or out of P&R, he’ll be an elite catch and shoot shooter with a ridiculously quick release, he isn’t a next level passer but he makes the right reads and will find you if you’re moving, his low assist numbers don’t tell the whole story, he can run an NBA offense.

Defensively he was really good in this game. He wasn’t guarding Steph or Klay but he did his job against the guys in front of him. He communicates a lot, always pointing stuff out and talking. He has really quick feet and can switch his stance very well on change of direction. Outside of one possession he closes out in his stance with with a hand up. He is good at fighting through screens and chasing guys around. He’s stronger and longer than he’s made out to be and he competes defensively. There are a few occasions he’s out of position, sometimes he helps a bit much on a shooter. He isn’t primed to be Patrick Beverly, but he’s also not the lost cause a lot of people make him out to be.

I’ll be doing more of these with some other prospects that’ll be available on my site (http://www.hardwoodherald.com). Enjoy guys!

Offense:

Defense:

Appreciated! I'm posting the defensive vid on the Bulls board, there's an ongoing debate on Garland and White. Personally, I'm in the Garland-boat. A good shooter with nice handles that can play offball too. White is more rounded, but he is behind in the "it" -factor (read: I like watching Garland more...).
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#106 » by King Ken » Sun May 5, 2019 7:24 pm

Garland has the 2nd highest ceiling of all PG's in this class and one of the highest of all prospects in this class. He might not be as ready as Trae Young, but when you draft these guys, you do look long term as well.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#107 » by CoreyVillains » Sun May 5, 2019 8:18 pm

Axolotl wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
Spoiler:

Offense:

Defense:

Appreciated! I'm posting the defensive vid on the Bulls board, there's an ongoing debate on Garland and White. Personally, I'm in the Garland-boat. A good shooter with nice handles that can play offball too. White is more rounded, but he is behind in the "it" -factor (read: I like watching Garland more...).

Feel free to share wherever! Im also on the Garland bandwagon. I do like White though if Garland was gone and the Bulls ended up at 8.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#108 » by Stillwater » Sun May 5, 2019 9:53 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Axolotl wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
Spoiler:

Offense:

Defense:

Feel free to share wherever! Im also on the Garland bandwagon. I do like White though if Garland was gone and the Bulls ended up at 8.

Obviously depending on where the Bulls pick,he should be there at 4 but if pushed back there is a good chance he is gone before 5 if PHO misses out on Ja in the top 3, Memphis or New Orleans jumps up to 3 or 4 etc esp if Garland shows good medicals and participates in combine athletic testing and does well. White should be there at 6-8 unless Garland slides due to medicals
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#109 » by clyde21 » Sun May 5, 2019 10:58 pm

im such a big fan of Garland, wish we saw more of him. incredibly tight dribble, he'll be able to get anywhere on the court because his dribble + quick-twitch athleticism. can get his shots off any time, off-dribble or off-catch. once he develops a floater game and a decent mid-range repertoire he's a star offensively. he's got it all on that side.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#110 » by Coeur » Mon May 6, 2019 6:44 pm

Stillwater wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
Axolotl wrote:

Obviously depending on where the Bulls pick,he should be there at 4 but if pushed back there is a good chance he is gone before 5 if PHO misses out on Ja in the top 3, Memphis or New Orleans jumps up to 3 or 4 etc esp if Garland shows good medicals and participates in combine athletic testing and does well. White should be there at 6-8 unless Garland slides due to medicals

Minnesota at 2-4 would make things interesting. Garland might fit perfect there

Lottery needs to shake out but right now garland seems to be getting a ton of thought out of this 4-24 group
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#111 » by Stillwater » Mon May 6, 2019 7:07 pm

Coeur wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:

Minnesota at 2-4 would make things interesting. Garland might fit perfect there

Lottery needs to shake out but right now garland seems to be getting a ton of thought out of this 4-24 group
skill wise he is capable of going as high as 2 to a couple teams tbh if not for Ja.
At the same time he isn't a good defender and that will potentially make him slide without full recovered status when doing workouts which seems unlikely.
For need and due to lack of options I think he stays in the top 10 with several lottery teams in need of a better pg... depends on how lottery drawing pans out, but there is also a chance he slides quite a bit if he can't do workouts at full speed yet. Should be interesting to see who takes a flyer if the medical report is not good.
I think his floor at this point is Detroit.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#112 » by EvanZ » Mon May 6, 2019 8:43 pm

Coeur wrote:Garland scares me to project. Seems so small. And then you realize that if we all saw him do his thing 30+ times this year he would have done so much amazing stuff that he’s have a huge base here as a 2-5 pick.

He's basically Steph-sized with longer wingspan. It's not thaaaat small.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#113 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 6, 2019 9:22 pm

I love Garland, but I think everyone has to be prepared for him not to be ready right away. He still has a lot of learn and he still needs to grow into his body. I love his potential, but there’s a good chance he doesn’t get much opportunity his first year in the NBA.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#114 » by Coeur » Mon May 6, 2019 10:10 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I love Garland, but I think everyone has to be prepared for him not to be ready right away. He still has a lot of learn and he still needs to grow into his body. I love his potential, but there’s a good chance he doesn’t get much opportunity his first year in the NBA.

That may be what’s best for him but what really happens depends where he lands. It might be perfect for him if he goes to Memphis and plays behind Conley for a year. Boston could be like that for him.

There’s also a chance he goes to a Phoenix or New Orleans situation where they throw him to the wolves.

Worst situation possible would be wizards. Let him play his way on to the court throughout the year and by the time he’s getting more ready John wall comes back.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#115 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 7, 2019 12:27 am

Coeur wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I love Garland, but I think everyone has to be prepared for him not to be ready right away. He still has a lot of learn and he still needs to grow into his body. I love his potential, but there’s a good chance he doesn’t get much opportunity his first year in the NBA.

That may be what’s best for him but what really happens depends where he lands. It might be perfect for him if he goes to Memphis and plays behind Conley for a year. Boston could be like that for him.

There’s also a chance he goes to a Phoenix or New Orleans situation where they throw him to the wolves.

Worst situation possible would be wizards. Let him play his way on to the court throughout the year and by the time he’s getting more ready John wall comes back.

Conley likely will be gone this summer but Delon Wright can hold down starting minutes while Garland gets up to speed with the bench unit. I think most Memphis fans would be happy if they can get Garland at #8. Personally I have 7 guys I like and the chances of one falling to 8 is pretty good (Reddish worries me). Garland is one of those 7.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#116 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 7, 2019 12:44 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Coeur wrote:

Conley likely will be gone this summer but Delon Wright can hold down starting minutes while Garland gets up to speed with the bench unit. I think most Memphis fans would be happy if they can get Garland at #8. Personally I have 7 guys I like and the chances of one falling to 8 is pretty good (Reddish worries me). Garland is one of those 7.

The thing about the Grizzlies is that they’re a team that doesn’t want to be tanking because they’re a small market and want to keep team interest up. They also have a bad history of drafting questionable freshmen. Jackson was an elite prospect and was really the safest one you could have gotten last year. Garland doesn’t make sense for the Grizzlies, who continue to look for grit and grind players. I’m also not sure it’s a foregone conclusion that they get rid of Conley. And if they do, they’d probably rather look for a point guard in return that way than drafting one because that is an important position that could either mean potential playoff team or not. With the Grizzlies pick I think they’re going to take a look at proven wings. Probably someone like Jarrett Culver or they might look for grit and grind depth at the forward position in Brandon Clarke. A 3-man group of Valanciunas/Jackson/Clarke would be strong. Clarke can play with either and so can Jackson. Clarke can come off the bench or Valanciunas depending on the match up. That’s my favorite pick for them.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by Coeur » Tue May 7, 2019 12:51 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Coeur wrote:

reddish scares you like you don’t want your team picking him? Or scares you as one of your top 7 that you feel the least confident in?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#118 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 7, 2019 3:39 am

Coeur wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Coeur wrote:That may be what’s best for him but what really happens depends where he lands. It might be perfect for him if he goes to Memphis and plays behind Conley for a year. Boston could be like that for him.

reddish scares you like you don’t want your team picking him? Or scares you as one of your top 7 that you feel the least confident in?

As in I would prefer my team to not pick him up. At #8 it isn't a terrible risk to take but my gut feeling is that he won't be anything special. I just would prefer taking a stab at someone else. My opinion is highly uneducated though seeing as the last basketball I actually played was in middle school....

doordoor123 wrote:.

I agree that Clarke would be a solid pickup for Memphis.

I think Memphis is going to have to rebuild whether they want to or not. The FO restructuring was hopefully a step towards embracing that. Part of why I think Memphis will move Conley is to expedite the rebuild. The extra assets are very needed plus with Parsons, CJ Miles, and potentially an opted in JV coming off the books next summer Memphis could attempt to go after some of the RFAs if they are willing to overpay a bit (Jaylen Brown if Boston is fighting tax issues, Sabonis if Indy doesn't want a large chunk of cap tied up in centers, etc). It will be rough going for a couple years, but I honestly don't know if they could make the playoffs next year even if they kept Conley. The best plan would be to try and get a few intriguing young guys and if the tank next season nets you James Wiseman then attendance likely won't be much of an issue the next year or two after that haha.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#119 » by SmokeyPaw » Tue May 7, 2019 4:14 am

Clarke and JJJ would be a fun combination. Not necessarily the best pick, but fun to watch.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#120 » by clyde21 » Tue May 7, 2019 6:48 am

i like Coby for Memphis...can play off-ball considerably well and is a good fit w/ JJJ. Romeo makes sense for them too.

Return to NBA Draft