Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Darius Garland 

Post#21 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Fischella wrote:
Fischella wrote:What would happen if Jeff Teague was an elite shooter? that's kinda Garland

To be sure Teague was more sudden/quick at Wake, and Garland has issues sometimes getting all the way in and turning the corner in PnR, not sure if he has enough handles (?) or if it's quickness, but it's a close one due to both been similar size, frame and athleticism+Teague been also a tad avg-below avg as a playmaker for his position (i think Darius is/could be better there actually than Jeff)

I don't watch too much Wolves games, but all I remember from Teague in Atlanta is he was quick and had a crazy quick step. I was always amazed how quick was he operating through spaces.

I don't see that in Garland, but this game he used a half-spin fake to open a gap and finish with a layup that reminded me how Kyrie is able to get to the bucket without being explosive or quick.

Garland most impressive skill for me when he runs the pick&roll is the way he uses ins-and-outs and hesitations to change speeds and directions, he looks so natural doing it and leads to effective pick&roll situations.

Garland is so hit or miss on the PnR, though. I definitely hear you, and agree with what you're saying when he's running it well, but other times he's giving up his dribble 30 feet from the basket at the first onset of pressure. It's annoying because he's had some really nice PnR plays this year - his change of pace in the PnR, when he wants to use it, is damn good.

Read on Twitter
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#22 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:31 pm

just started paying attention to this kid. I'm intrigued by what he may be able to do at the next level with the spacing provided. Gonna keep a close eye on him.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#23 » by nolang1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm

He's out for the season with a torn meniscus. Should be good to go for pre-draft workouts.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#24 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 pm

nolang1 wrote:He's out for the season with a torn meniscus. Should be good to go for pre-draft workouts.

well damn
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#25 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#26 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:45 pm

nolang1 wrote:He's out for the season with a torn meniscus. Should be good to go for pre-draft workouts.

Bummer. If he drops because of the injury a team is getting an absolute steal. Top 6 or 7 prospect for me.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#27 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Bummer. If he drops because of the injury a team is getting an absolute steal. Top 6 or 7 prospect for me.

Agreed 100%

Meniscus tears usually aren't the most worrisome injuries in the world but if this scares some teams off then someone is going to get insanely lucky depending on if/how far he slides.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#28 » by Axolotl » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:33 am

Any nuggets of intel on how Garland has recovered and what he has been up to? I can't seem to find anything relevant.

He is mocked as high as #4 by some, while others have him somewhere in the double digits - so a wild card.

The Bulls need a point guard, and if Morant is off the table, they must be taking a good hard look at Garland. Workouts and medicals will be crucial, but if anyone has any recent info, I'd appreciate it.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:46 am

Axolotl wrote:Any nuggets of intel on how Garland has recovered and what he has been up to? I can't seem to find anything relevant.

He is mocked as high as #4 by some, while others have him somewhere in the double digits - so a wild card.

The Bulls need a point guard, and if Morant is off the table, they must be taking a good hard look at Garland. Workouts and medicals will be crucial, but if anyone has any recent info, I'd appreciate it.

he should be healthy at this point...his injury was an MCL not ACL so it's a much easier and quicker recovery.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:40 pm

I think this guy almost has to be the Lakers top target and is praying he falls to them. ( Unless they think they can get Irving)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:45 pm

Stillwater wrote:I think this guy almost has to be the Lakers top target and is praying he falls to them. ( Unless they think they can get Irving)

i don't get that...why? they already have Bron and Lonzo running point. They don't need Garland. They need 1) someone that contribute immediately at a high level in the next 2-3 years and 2) a primarily off-ball player that can defend.

based on the above two parameters, Brandon Clarke and De'Andre Hunter would be my top 2 choices if I were the Lakers.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#32 » by 916fan » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think this guy almost has to be the Lakers top target and is praying he falls to them. ( Unless they think they can get Irving)

i don't get that...why? they already have Bron and Lonzo running point. They don't need Garland. They need 1) someone that contribute immediately at a high level in the next 2-3 years and 2) a primarily off-ball player that can defend.

based on the above two parameters, Brandon Clarke and De'Andre Hunter would be my top 2 choices if I were the Lakers.

Lonzo and Lebron is such a horrible fit. If I'm the Lakers, I would consider moving Lonzo if the return was good enough. Hype aside, he hasn't been all that impressive in the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:27 pm

916fan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Lonzo and Lebron is such a horrible fit. If I'm the Lakers, I would consider moving Lonzo if the return was good enough. Hype aside, he hasn't been all that impressive in the NBA.

either way, trading Lonzo to get Garland still wouldn't make sense either...they need off-ball players and players that can contribute as quickly as possible. you keep Lonzo because he's a good defender and you get shooting/more defense. Garland doesn't make much sense at this point.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Because he is an elite shooter and they need that more than anything. I think Lonzo gets traded as well and maybe they can accomplish solving those other pressing needs moving him.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#35 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:53 pm

916fan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Disagree completely. First of all, how many games have LeBron and Lonzo played together? It seems like if one was playing the other wasn’t. I watch every Lakers game, Lonzo actually has the biggest impact defensively on the team because he pushes the ball on offense after a rebound or because his defensive IQ is super high (although he has lapses at times). If Lonzo just develops his jumper he’s a great fit next to LeBron. The issue is Ingram and LeBron because they both need the ball, but Ingram also has super high upside. If I’m the Lakers the one I trade is Kuzma, just because he demands so many touches and just throws the ball up every time he touches it. He doesn’t play within the flow of the offense anymore and is a huge liability on defense. I think with Kuzma he’s either surrounded by defenders or he’s a back up on a winning team. I just don’t see defensive potential at all though. But the media and Laker fans are obsessed with him because he can score in bunches occasionally. And I don’t doubt he could end up being an All-Star type scorer, but to me Lonzo and Ingram provide more team elements a team with LeBron needs, like defense, length, IQ and ability to pass.

With that said, they should keep all three. Let them develop, maybe even keep all three on the bench and bolster the starters next to LeBron who can defend and shoot. It makes no sense to evaluate trading young players with high potential till after their 3rd year (if they aren’t injured for a whole year) or the year their contract is ending.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#36 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:53 pm

Memphis could be a landing spot for Garland, we all know they got close to trading Conley at deadline and he could be on the move this summer
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#37 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:57 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Memphis could be a landing spot for Garland, we all know they got close to trading Conley at deadline and he could be on the move this summer

I think they’re more likely to start Delon Wright than draft another point guard. If they get one, they want a high-end starter, it makes no sense for them to draft one in this draft unless they somehow get in the position to draft Morant. My guess is that they either keep Conley, look at the free agent market or make a trade. I also can’t see them drafting someone that doesn’t fit the grit and grind mentality. That means someone with size/defensive potential or someone who is good at defending.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,130

Post#38 » by Funcrusher » Thu Apr 4, 2019 7:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:

personally after trading Zubac i think they need a center and i'm thinking they should take Bitadze who also fits your criteria.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 7:07 pm

Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Because he is an elite shooter and they need that more than anything. I think Lonzo gets traded as well and maybe they can accomplish solving those other pressing needs moving him.

if they want a shooter that can play immediately for long stretches they should go Hunter...or even Herro who can play off-ball in ways Garland can't at this point. it just doesn't make sense.

i'm a HUGE fan of Garland, but it's gonna take him a couple of years to make an impact. that's not the window the Lakers are looking for. they need someone that can go in and play real and meaningful minutes right away.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 7:13 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Memphis could be a landing spot for Garland, we all know they got close to trading Conley at deadline and he could be on the move this summer

Garland or Coby would be strong coups for Memphis to put with JJJ.

Return to NBA Draft