Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Darius Garland 

Post#201 » by Stillwater » Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:am I the only one who is high on Garland? there is something about his game that tells me he is going to be a star in the league.

You cant be the only one, he is projected to go 4th in the draft. I think everyone sees the same thing with him, size/athleticism the question but everything else looks right.

how is athleticism even a question w. Garland? not everything is about jumping high. Garland is one of the twitchiest athletes to come out in the last few drafts.

Yep big difference between body control and explosiveness. he has one not both.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#202 » by clyde21 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
You cant be the only one, he is projected to go 4th in the draft. I think everyone sees the same thing with him, size/athleticism the question but everything else looks right.

how is athleticism even a question w. Garland? not everything is about jumping high. Garland is one of the twitchiest athletes to come out in the last few drafts.

he's explosive in his movements, he just can't jump high. again, not everything is about dunking. his quickness and change of direction/speeds is elite.

this is like saying athleticism is a question mark for Kyrie.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#203 » by Stillwater » Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

he's explosive in his movements, he just can't jump high. again, not everything is about dunking. his quickness and change of direction/speeds is elite.

yep. I'm not entirely sold he can't jump better than expected either... just does not project to be explosive like a Ja or Westbrook at all.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#204 » by nolang1 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

When you're talking about being at the very top of the league for Kyrie or the top of the draft for Garland it kind of is though. In the playoffs we tend to see smaller guards get slowed down when they run into teams that can put a lengthier, more athletic defender on them.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#205 » by clyde21 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yep big difference between body control and explosiveness. he has one not both.

When you're talking about being at the very top of the league for Kyrie or the top of the draft for Garland it kind of is though. In the playoffs we tend to see smaller guards get slowed down when they run into teams that can put a lengthier, more athletic defender on them.

in what ways is his athleticism a question mark tho? he's not gonna have any problems getting to his spots on offense, and on defense it's more of a strength/length issue than an athleticism one.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#206 » by SmokeyPaw » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Article on the pull up jump shooters in the draft by Cole Zwicker:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/23/2019-guard-class-pull-shot-versatility-functionality-gravity/
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#207 » by nolang1 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

in what ways is his athleticism a question mark tho? he's not gonna have any problems getting to his spots on offense, and on defense it's more of a strength/length issue than an athleticism one.

You're kind of getting into semantics here, his physical attributes are a question mark. Players like Kyrie and Dame don't have any problems getting to their spots the vast majority of the time, but in the playoffs they've struggled to create separation when all-defense type of players like Bledsoe, Jrue Holiday, and Klay are locked in on them. That keeps them from being considered the very best of the best offensive players, and then of course if they were vertically explosive enough to get 7-8 rebounds per game rather than 4-5 that would make them better defenders and overall players. If Garland (or any prospect) didn't have any question marks, he'd be the #1 pick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#208 » by clyde21 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:53 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

You're kind of getting into semantics here, his physical attributes are a question mark. Players like Kyrie and Dame don't have any problems getting to their spots the vast majority of the time, but in the playoffs they've struggled to create separation when all-defense type of players like Bledsoe, Jrue Holiday, and Klay are locked in on them. That keeps them from being considered the very best of the best offensive players, and then of course if they were vertically explosive enough to get 7-8 rebounds per game rather than 4-5 that would make them better defenders and overall players. If Garland (or any prospect) didn't have any question marks, he'd be the #1 pick.

well, saying you have question marks about his overall athletic profile, which includes things like strength and length, then I can understand that argument, but talking strictly about his athleticism is where we disagree. and yea, it is a bit semantical...but it's an important distinction.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#209 » by nolang1 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

well, saying you have question marks about his overall athletic profile, which includes things like strength and length, then I can understand that argument, but talking strictly about his athleticism is where we disagree. and yea, it is a bit semantical...but it's an important distinction.

I think it's fair to say that if Garland were as athletic as the similarly-sized Morant, he'd be the consensus #2 player in this class. In terms of getting to his spots on offense, I'd say that's more a function of his ballhandling and the threat of him pulling up; in other words, if you only watched him play defense you probably wouldn't think he's exceptionally quick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#210 » by clyde21 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

I think it's fair to say that if Garland were as athletic as the similarly-sized Morant, he'd be the consensus #2 player in this class. In terms of getting to his spots on offense, I'd say that's more a function of his ballhandling and the threat of him pulling up; in other words, if you only watched him play defense you probably wouldn't think he's exceptionally quick.

I don't think Morant is more athletic than athletic than Garland. he's a more explosive leaper but Garland is quicker in short quarters and has better CoD ability.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#211 » by Chi town » Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 pm

I see Garland and Curry in the same athletic category. Functional athletes that get to their spots and use their athleticism due to exceptional skills specifically their handle.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#212 » by jonjames » Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 pm

I like Garlands game but noway would he be considered "athletic" for nba standards. Ppl were ripping trae young for his lack of athleticism despite possessing lighting quickness off the dribble fluid change of direction and body control. garland is in the same tier athletically as him.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#213 » by CoreyVillains » Sat May 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I have a reserved stance on his length or lack thereof, and not sold on his athleticism with his likely struggles defending on switches as a result of both and some concerns with finishing at the next level due to strength issues, but his ability to knock down tough shot after tough shot along with his ability to create for himself and likely progression at finding teammates due to an elite bbiq make him very likely to be worthy of a top 7 pick and eventually being an allstar level pg esp keeping the ball on a string like he does

Is Dame a good comp?

He isn’t as explosive or strong as Lillard.
I think people often ignore physical attributes when making draft comps.

Realistically, if Garland’s skill set translated to the NBA as a Lou Williams type-player that would be a great outcome.

He’s surely not as explosive, but Dame played 4 years of college, how strong was he as a freshmen? Garland is already visibly stronger than he was in HS. I’d imagine in 3 years nobody is going to mention a lack of strength with him.
LoveTheNBA23
Senior
And1: 678

Post#214 » by LoveTheNBA23 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:34 pm

jonjames wrote:I like Garlands game but noway would he be considered "athletic" for nba standards. Ppl were ripping trae young for his lack of athleticism despite possessing lighting quickness off the dribble fluid change of direction and body control. garland is in the same tier athletically as him.

Garland is clearly quicker/twitchier than Young. He also has better handles but that’s a skill based trait.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#215 » by Illmatic12 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Is Dame a good comp?

He isn’t as explosive or strong as Lillard.
I think people often ignore physical attributes when making draft comps.

Realistically, if Garland’s skill set translated to the NBA as a Lou Williams type-player that would be a great outcome.

He’s surely not as explosive, but Dame played 4 years of college, how strong was he as a freshmen? Garland is already visibly stronger than he was in HS. I’d imagine in 3 years nobody is going to mention a lack of strength with him.

Nah they’re just built differently , Garland is naturally more slight of frame with skinny legs.. he can lift weights but that won’t widen his body or make his bones thicker.

Lillard at the same age clearly has a stockier build than Garland with more strength and explosion going downhill. You can only improve physical attributes so much, especially basketball players who can’t overdo weight training.

HS:

College freshman:

Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#216 » by Axolotl » Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Pharmcat wrote:am I the only one who is high on Garland? there is something about his game that tells me he is going to be a star in the league.

No, you are not. Garland has "it". I'm not 100% sure what "it" is, but Garland has it. Yes, he has a sweet handle and a pure one motion shot, but it's not just those things. I watch him play, and it's just like "that guy, he good".
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#217 » by jonjames » Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 am

Axolotl wrote:

No, you are not. Garland has "it". I'm not 100% sure what "it" is, but Garland has it. Yes, he has a sweet handle and a pure one motion shot, but it's not just those things. I watch him play, and it's just like "that guy, he good".

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes better than morant
jonjames
Veteran

Post#218 » by jonjames » Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 am

LoveTheNBA23 wrote:
jonjames wrote:I like Garlands game but noway would he be considered "athletic" for nba standards. Ppl were ripping trae young for his lack of athleticism despite possessing lighting quickness off the dribble fluid change of direction and body control. garland is in the same tier athletically as him.

Garland is clearly quicker/twitchier than Young. He also has better handles but that’s a skill based trait.

Both of those are arguable. Young has an elite handle.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#219 » by kobyz » Sun May 26, 2019 4:23 pm

i see smaller version of deron williams in him
clyde21
RealGM

Post#220 » by clyde21 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:56 pm

jonjames wrote:
LoveTheNBA23 wrote:

Both of those are arguable. Young has an elite handle.

no Garland is a much twitchier athlete. it's not arguable at all

Return to NBA Draft