Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Re: Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...) 

Post#101 » by Justwar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Fischella wrote:lack of fluidity/moving like a cranky old man are part of his limitations, he is quick and sort of athletic but needs to correct stuff about his posture, improve flexibility etc, he also has terrible handles, not saying that he needs those because I'd want him as a low usage shooter ideally but he fancies himself as a scorer, so that's kinda dangerous, also for a guy that in theory is a gym-rat/worker, having a +12BF% ain't a great sign

I am buying in the shot, athleticism/motor, and some work-ethic components, but he needs self-awareness

He shoots it extremely well off the dribble and finishing. Just very aggressive and teams don't expect him to continue to the basketball. I'd love to see his turnovers though because I don't see hardly at all from dribbling, mostly from most of the bigs not having good hands and missing catches. He's by far the best entry passer in the team. Haven't looked at last year's combine but I imagine he's getting that body fat down as we speak. His weakness to me is he plays passing lanes too much for the nba level, needs a floater, and whether he can contest bigger players or switch well enough temporarily in p n r in situations.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#102 » by mattg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:58 am

Justwar wrote:
Fischella wrote:lack of fluidity/moving like a cranky old man are part of his limitations, he is quick and sort of athletic but needs to correct stuff about his posture, improve flexibility etc, he also has terrible handles, not saying that he needs those because I'd want him as a low usage shooter ideally but he fancies himself as a scorer, so that's kinda dangerous, also for a guy that in theory is a gym-rat/worker, having a +12BF% ain't a great sign

I am buying in the shot, athleticism/motor, and some work-ethic components, but he needs self-awareness

He shoots it extremely well off the dribble and finishing. Just very aggressive and teams don't expect him to continue to the basketball. I'd love to see his turnovers though because I don't see hardly at all from dribbling, mostly from most of the bigs not having good hands and missing catches. He's by far the best entry passer in the team. Haven't looked at last year's combine but I imagine he's getting that body fat down as we speak. His weakness to me is he plays passing lanes too much for the nba level, needs a floater, and whether he can contest bigger players or switch well enough temporarily in p n r in situations.

The thing with Herro is that he's a great decision maker on offense overall, like you can run sets for him and he knows whether to shoot off the screen, attack the close out, enter it to the post, or to reverse the floor. And he has the skill level to execute those things. That combined with his shooting prowess bodes extremely well for his NBA prospects, as he is so much more than a simple floor spacer or feet set shooter.

Definitely agree that he needs to be more conservative defensively, he gets burned overplaying too much. At the same time you have to sort of live with the growing pains of a young player figuring out what they can and can't get away with on defense. He's got really good instincts, plays hard, and makes a bunch of plays with his anticipation and you don't want to coach that out of a kid.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#103 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:07 am

EvanZ wrote:Herro measured 12+% BF and 6'4.5" wingspan at the Kentucky Pro Day. There's only so far that body is going to take him.

Thanks for that nugget of information. How many other SGs in the league have such T Rex arms? Reddick is the only one?

How is this guy going to get his shot off in the NBA?
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#104 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 am

PLO wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Herro measured 12+% BF and 6'4.5" wingspan at the Kentucky Pro Day. There's only so far that body is going to take him.

Thanks for that nugget of information. How many other SGs in the league have such T Rex arms? Reddick is the only one?

Quick and high release with elevation. Combines it with great footwork shooting off the dribble and movement.
PLO
Analyst

Post#105 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 am

RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:

Quick and high release with elevation. Combines it with great footwork shooting off the dribble and movement.

So basically you’re assessing him as Steph Curry mk 2.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#106 » by Justwar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:55 am

I haven't seen many people get good contests on him, figures out how to get space.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#107 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 am

PLO wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:

:noway:

Instead of the hyperbole (and odd comparison), how about you try and refute my argument.

I'll wait.

https://streamable.com/ove2f

Romeo has an 8'8" reach and made it look easy.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#108 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:19 am

PLO wrote:

with good, quick fundementals, a high release point, good footwork and a decent dribble? how does a guy like Joe Harris get his shot off?

this insane obsession with wingspan is getting ridiculous. it's good to have but it's not a fatal flaw.
PLO
Analyst

Post#109 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:31 am

RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:Quick and high release with elevation. Combines it with great footwork shooting off the dribble and movement.

Instead of the hyperbole (and odd comparison), how about you try and refute my argument.

I'll wait.

It's an odd comparison because you pro-Herro people seem to think its going to be this easy for him to get his shot off in the NBA as it is in college.

The only players in the NBA who are plus shooters who have his midget arms are JJ Reddick.....and guys like Steph Curry and Kyrie. So basically you think he could become one of the greatest shooters of all time a la Reddick, or offensive juggernauts a la Curry or Irving, the latter two who you described in your post above, hence why I quoted it.

Basically for me there's no need to refute your "argument" because you have none. There's a much greater chance Herro will be swallowed up entire in the NBA than his not-up-to-NBA-standard "high release and elevation...great footwork shooting off the dribble and movement" will ever translate to the next level.

Like I've said on here before, there's a chance he'll become Reddick, slender as it is, and that's what he should be aiming for.

PLO
Analyst

Post#110 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 am

clyde21 wrote:
PLO wrote:

with good, quick fundementals, a high release point, good footwork and a decent dribble? how does a guy like Joe Harris get his shot off?

this insane obsession with wingspan is getting ridiculous. it's good to have but it's not a fatal flaw.

Oh, for a SG its pretty freaking important, especially when we're talking about a genuine T-Rex like Herro, who will be a non-creator in the NBA, and we're talking about success or failure being a matter of inches in terms of getting a shot off.

RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#111 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:11 am

PLO wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:

I'll wait.

It's an odd comparison because you pro-Herro people seem to think its going to be this easy for him to get his shot off in the NBA as it is in college.

The only players in the NBA who are plus shooters who have his midget arms are JJ Reddick.....and guys like Steph Curry and Kyrie. So basically you think he could become one of the greatest shooters of all time a la Reddick, or offensive juggernauts a la Curry or Irving, the latter two who you described in your post above, hence why I quoted it.

Basically for me there's no need to refute your "argument" because you have none. There's a much greater chance Herro will be swallowed up entire in the NBA than his not-up-to-NBA-standard "high release and elevation...great footwork shooting off the dribble and movement" will ever translate to the next level.

Like I've said on here before, there's a chance he'll become Reddick, slender as it is, and that's what he should be aiming for.

You're changing the argument.

Nobody is saying getting his shot off isn't going to be harder for him in the NBA. That's the case for all college players and yes, will be even harder for Herro because of the length issue.

But you asked how is he going to get his shot off in the nba with his length and I gave my reasons why he has a good opportunity to translate that part of his game in spite of it.

Still waiting for you to give me something relevant to the argument that'll make me think otherwise.

And his reach is not bad (8' 4.5") which is comparable to most other pure 2 / off ball shooter types (JJ's is 8' 1.5") and is a bigger factor in whether he'll get his shot off vs nba size/athleticism than his wingspan measurement.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#112 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:13 am

PLO wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:

I'll wait.

it might be actually easier considering he's going to have more space to operate, but ok.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#113 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 am

It's just hilarious to me that of all the holes you could poke at Herro's nba chances, whether he can get his shot off is the one someone would choose.

You can argue effectiveness and yes, he'll need to be a great shooter to be a player which is why you can't take him high, but there's nothing objectively here to support the idea that he won't be able to get his shot off.
PLO
Analyst

Post#114 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:54 pm

"nothing objectively" apart from his wingspan.

PLO
Analyst

Post#115 » by PLO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:15 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:
PLO wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote: :noway:

I'll wait.

You're changing the argument.

Nobody is saying getting his shot off isn't going to be harder for him in the NBA. That's the case for all college players and yes, will be even harder for Herro because of the length issue.

But you asked how is he going to get his shot off in the nba with his length and I gave my reasons why he has a good opportunity to translate that part of his game in spite of it.

Still waiting for you to give me something relevant to the argument that'll make me think otherwise.

And his reach is not bad (8' 4.5") which is comparable to most other pure 2 / off ball shooter types (JJ's is 8' 1.5") and is a bigger factor in whether he'll get his shot off vs nba size/athleticism than his wingspan measurement.

You mean like the fact he moves like someone with a double hip replacement and is apparently as supple as I am? (and I'm like a block of cement)

clyde21
RealGM

Post#116 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 pm

we get it, Herro is undraftable.

let's move on
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#117 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:15 am

I like Keldon Johnson. I think he has the potential to become a more athletic version of Devin Booker with better defense. I think he's pretty well suited for the pros.

I'm mixed on PJ Washington. A lot depends on whether he can play on the ball out of the high post or top of the circle like he did in HS. His game will need to become more perimeter oriented. He needs to tighten his handle, play with a bit of wiggle and score off the bounce. If he can do that, he become a valuable player--a strong wing who can play on the ball. Til then he's like a better version of Trey Lyles, imo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#118 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:40 am

Catchall wrote:I like Keldon Johnson. I think he has the potential to become a more athletic version of Devin Booker with better defense. I think he's pretty well suited for the pros.

I'm mixed on PJ Washington. A lot depends on whether he can play on the ball out of the high post or top of the circle like he did in HS. His game will need to become more perimeter oriented. He needs to tighten his handle, play with a bit of wiggle and score off the bounce. If he can do that, he become a valuable player--a strong wing who can play on the ball. Til then he's like a better version of Trey Lyles, imo.

i wouldn't treat PJ as a wing. He's modern day 4 who has a perimeter game as a bonus.
PLO
Analyst

Post#119 » by PLO » Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:41 am

clyde21 wrote:we get it, Herro is undraftable.

let's move on

If you're going to attribute something as extreme as the word "undraftable" you should at least be accurate. The only guy I've described as undraftable this season is Jordan Nwora and it wasn't even on this sub-forum.

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#120 » by NotACat » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:40 pm

PLO wrote:
clyde21 wrote:we get it, Herro is undraftable.

let's move on

If you're going to attribute something as extreme as the word "undraftable" you should at least be accurate. The only guy I've described as undraftable this season is Jordan Nwora and it wasn't even on this sub-forum.

OP was being sarcastic
Black Lives Matter

Return to NBA Draft