Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...) 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 9:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Fischella wrote:The issue with Herro is how much he likes to dribble, if sticks to off-movement shooting he can be a gamer, we shall see, he is athletic but he isn't fluid, that's bad for driving, he needs to keep a live dribble to have a chance, from standstill he is terrible

I think all of the guys are top45 prospects but pretty low on them overall

I don't really get whatever hype there is for Herro. Maybe if you squint he's Joe Harris one day?

could've said the same thing about Huerter last season.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#22 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 9:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Fischella wrote:The issue with Herro is how much he likes to dribble, if sticks to off-movement shooting he can be a gamer, we shall see, he is athletic but he isn't fluid, that's bad for driving, he needs to keep a live dribble to have a chance, from standstill he is terrible

I don't really get whatever hype there is for Herro. Maybe if you squint he's Joe Harris one day?

Eh, I think Huerter being better than Herro is pretty clear cut...but I was also very high on Huerter.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 9:57 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Eh, I think Huerter being better than Herro is pretty clear cut...but I was also very high on Huerter.

based on what? Herro as a freshman has been much better than what Huerter was as a FS. Herro is also much better off the bounce than Huerter.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#24 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

based on what? Herro as a freshman has been much better than what Huerter was as a FS. Herro is also much better off the bounce than Huerter.

Honestly don't remember what Huerter was as a freshman, but last year, I really liked what I saw. He was a legitimately good defender, was a great shooter, could create as a secondary playmaker, great finisher, could create for himself in iso, and wasn't erratic. Stronger, too.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#25 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:03 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Honestly don't remember what Huerter was as a freshman, but last year, I really liked what I saw. He was a legitimately good defender, was a great shooter, could create as a secondary playmaker, great finisher, could create for himself in iso, and wasn't erratic. Stronger, too.

sounds like you had him as a top 5 pick
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#26 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

LMAO. You don't know me then. I had Huerter 8 on my final pre-draft board.

Huerter >>>>> Herro

Huerter was a) born to shoot and b) has great vision and team skills. Now if you had said DDV, I might agree.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#27 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

sounds like you had him as a top 5 pick

Nope, had some athletic concerns. I think I had him 11th / in the 9-11 range.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:14 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Huerter >>>>> Herro

Huerter was a) born to shoot and b) has great vision and team skills. Now if you had said DDV, I might agree.

i know how high u had Huerter, that's why I brought him up. :lol:

comparing them both as freshmen, Herro is better and it's not even close.

Huerter is probably a better defender just by virtue of being bigger and stronger but Herro IMO has more potential offensively, specifically off the bounce as well as a secondary playmaker.

either way, I don't see how u can have Huerter top 8 in a STRONG class and barely think of Herro as a prospect. Line of reasoning isn't adding up for me.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#29 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Huerter >>>>> Herro

Huerter is longer so immediately that's an advantage. Huerter's BBIQ is off the charts. He's also an elite shooter. It's not close. I don't see Herro in that realm.

You're going to make a lot of mistakes if you think every guy like Herro is the same as Huerter.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:19 pm

Also btw, Herro will be 19 in a couple weeks. Huerter was 19 his sophomore year. He's only a month older than Trae.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#31 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:23 pm

Now might be a good time to point out that Huerter was 14/20 in iso situations last year (100th percentile) and was in the 99th percentile (11/17) on iso drives (including pull up Js)...and 89th percentile around basket, 89th on runners, 86th on jumpers, 73rd C&S, 82nd on off the dribble jumpers.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#32 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:25 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Now might be a good time to point out that Huerter was 14/20 in iso situations last year (100th percentile) and was in the 99th percentile (11/17) on iso drives (including pull up Js)...and 89th percentile around basket, 89th on runners, 86th on jumpers, 73rd C&S, 82nd on off the dribble jumpers.

He also has arguably the best shooting stroke to come out of college since Klay. I can pull up my tweets on this. :lol:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:27 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Huerter >>>>> Herro

Huerter is longer so immediately that's an advantage. Huerter's BBIQ is off the charts. He's also an elite shooter. It's not close. I don't see Herro in that realm.

You're going to make a lot of mistakes if you think every guy like Herro is the same as Huerter.

still doesn't reconcile back to the idea that Huerter is a top 8 player in a strong class but Herro isn't a prospect.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:27 pm

By the way this was one of my easier calls on Draft night.

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#35 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:28 pm

clyde21 wrote:
still doesn't reconcile back to the idea that Huerter is a top 8 player in a strong class but Herro isn't a prospect.

Show me where I said he isn't a prospect.

What I said was I don't get the hype. He's a prospect. I'm just not super high on him. Similar to Dort in terms of unwarranted hype.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#36 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:28 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Now might be a good time to point out that Huerter was 14/20 in iso situations last year (100th percentile) and was in the 99th percentile (11/17) on iso drives (including pull up Js)...and 89th percentile around basket, 89th on runners, 86th on jumpers, 73rd C&S, 82nd on off the dribble jumpers.

He also has arguably the best shooting stroke to come out of college since Klay. I can pull up my tweets on this. :lol:

Herro's is smooth af

Read on Twitter
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#37 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:29 pm

EvanZ wrote:By the way this was one of my easier calls on Draft night.

Read on Twitter

I thought he wouldn't fall past MKE (after thinking he wouldn't fall past 76ers, after thinking he wouldn't fall past Washington, after thinking he wouldn't fall past Denver). It was a long draft night for my predictions on Huerter, lol.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:31 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

What I said was I don't get the hype. He's a prospect. I'm just not super high on him. Similar to Dort in terms of unwarranted hype.

you said "if you squint you might see Joe Harris"...what else am I supposed to take from that?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#39 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

you said "if you squint you might see Joe Harris"...what else am I supposed to take from that?

That Joe Harris is a good NBA player and a possible ceiling comp?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

That Joe Harris is a good NBA player and a possible ceiling comp?

so Joe Harris is his CEILING "if you squint"? sounds like a non-prospect to me.

anyways, this is all semantics. we'll see what happens the rest of the year with Herro. don't think he declares anyways.

Return to NBA Draft