Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...) 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
you said "if you squint you might see Joe Harris"...what else am I supposed to take from that?

That Joe Harris is a good NBA player and a possible ceiling comp?

so Joe Harris is his CEILING "if you squint"? sounds like a non-prospect to me.

anyways, this is all semantics. we'll see what happens the rest of the year with Herro. don't think he declares anyways.

As you noted this is a terrible draft so almost anyone is in play. MIL took DDV ahead of Huerter for some reason. I'm sure some team would convince themselves Herro is the next Redick.

But to me how do you tell Herro is that different from, say, Grayson? Grayson also a lights out athletic shooter. And he has some playmaking.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#42 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:39 pm

That archetype is just really hard to get onto an NBA floor.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:45 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
That Joe Harris is a good NBA player and a possible ceiling comp?

so Joe Harris is his CEILING "if you squint"? sounds like a non-prospect to me.

anyways, this is all semantics. we'll see what happens the rest of the year with Herro. don't think he declares anyways.

As you noted this is a terrible draft so almost anyone is in play. MIL took DDV ahead of Huerter for some reason. I'm sure some team would convince themselves Herro is the next Redick.

But to me how do you tell Herro is that different from, say, Grayson? Grayson also a lights out athletic shooter. And he has some playmaking.

i don't think it's a bad class at all actually. I was just not seeing THAT big of a difference between Huerter and Herro, where one is top 8 in an all-time level draft class and the other is barely a prospect in what is called a bad one.

and Grayson was actually a pretty good prospect outside the fact that he was a lot older.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#44 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:48 pm

Huerter is just better, bigger, taller, longer, little less athletic maybe in terms of quickness, but does t matter, Herro also fancies himself as a scorer and that **** ain't gonna fly at the next level with his athletic package and lack of feel, Huerter was a plus passer for his role since day I as a super young freshman

I had Huerter like end of the lotto and the highest I would have Herro is probably late 1st
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#45 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 9, 2019 11:31 pm

EvanZ wrote:I'm sure some team would convince themselves Herro is the next Redick.

As a side note: Joe Harris and J.J. Redick had eerily similar seasons at age 27.

Per100, Harris currently sits at 22/6/4/1 (66% TS) while Redick posted 23/5/5/1 (59% TS), both >40% on 3's and around 0.500 3PAr. If someone can realistically be Harris then he could potentially also be Redick. Not super likely necessarily because Redick kept improving and was just incredibly consistent as well as one of the best off ball players in the league. He was also capable of creating a bit more for himself than Harris. But all in all, this kind of player – Redick or Harris – is just a very valuable player in your starting line-up.

Of course Harris has developed into such a great shooter that is not something we can expect from many guys coming out of college. And if you don't develop into such a top-class shooter, then you better be able to create and defend a bit to make up for it or else it's tough to get major minutes in the NBA. So this is not to say Herro is a sure thing to have a good role in the NBA – but if you can see Joe Harris, that's potentially a really valuable player and perhaps worth a mid-first (if you're confident that the player in question will reach this level).
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 11:49 pm

The-Power wrote:
Of course Harris has developed into such a great shooter that is not something we can expect from many guys coming out of college. And if you don't develop into such a top-class shooter, then you better be able to create and defend a bit to make up for it or else it's tough to get major minutes in the NBA. So this is not to say Herro is a sure thing to have a good role in the NBA – but if you can see Joe Harris, that's potentially a really valuable player and perhaps worth a mid-first (if you're confident that the player in question will reach this level).

Ok, for the sake of argument say you think his ceiling is Joe Harris or Redick. But like with Huerter I honestly thought his ceiling is playmaking Klay. That's a huge difference. Of course this is all subjective and I could very well be wrong with my assessment, but to me saying a ceiling is Joe Harris or Redick (when ceiling is like the 5%-ile outcome) isn't extremely hype-worthy, especially when we come up with ceiling comps like this for virtually every player that comes out.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 9, 2019 11:54 pm

Also because we keep comparing white guys to white guys, let me be the first to say "if you squint, maybe Herro's ceiling is Buddy Hield". :P
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#48 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 am

EvanZ wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Ok, for the sake of argument say you think his ceiling is Joe Harris or Redick. But like with Huerter I honestly thought his ceiling is playmaking Klay. That's a huge difference. Of course this is all subjective and I could very well be wrong with my assessment, but to me saying a ceiling is Joe Harris or Redick (when ceiling is like the 5%-ile outcome) isn't extremely hype-worthy, especially when we come up with ceiling comps like this for virtually every player that comes out.

I really like Kevin. Had him late lotto...but he doesn't have the mentality, aggressiveness, footwork or the versatility to his release to be the level of scorer Klay is imo. Klay is also bigger and a better lateral athlete which gave him higher defensive potential.

Huerter's only real advantages as Klay as a prospect were passing vision and vertical athleticism. And there's still question marks surrounding if he'll become enough of a reliable ballhandler+decision maker vs pressure or if he'll be able to draw enough attention as a scoring threat to make his passing super valuable.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#49 » by The-Power » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:42 am

EvanZ wrote:
The-Power wrote:

I was higher on Huerter than I am on Herro, so you won't find disagreement from me on that front. :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:00 am

Keldon, Herro and Washington all 3 are legitimate top 30 guys.

Hagans is trending up but still very lukewarm on him offensively.

Montgomery and Quickley non-prospects at this point.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#51 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 am

clyde21 wrote:Keldon, Herro and Washington all 3 are legitimate top 30 guys.

Hagans is trending up but still very lukewarm on him offensively.

Montgomery and Quickley non-prospects at this point.

Agree with Keldon and Washington.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#52 » by mattg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm

The thing with Herro is that he works so much harder than 99% of other top tier guys. It’s what allows him to continue to improve rapidly (if you saw the drastic change in his handle from 2 years ago you’d be floored). His work ethic alone will cause some team to fall in love during the evaluation process.

I also think this year of experience where he is being asked to do a bit too much will help him improve going forward. He’s a trial by fire kid.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#53 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 pm

mattg wrote:The thing with Herro is that he works so much harder than 99% of other top tier guys. It’s what allows him to continue to improve rapidly (if you saw the drastic change in his handle from 2 years ago you’d be floored). His work ethic alone will cause some team to fall in love during the evaluation process.

I also think this year of experience where he is being asked to do a bit too much will help him improve going forward. He’s a trial by fire kid.

his first 9 games he was shooting 41% from the field and 27% from 3.

since then (last 5 games), he's shooting 50% from the floor and 43% from 3, averaging 18/4/2.
mattg
General Manager

Post#54 » by mattg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:
mattg wrote:The thing with Herro is that he works so much harder than 99% of other top tier guys. It’s what allows him to continue to improve rapidly (if you saw the drastic change in his handle from 2 years ago you’d be floored). His work ethic alone will cause some team to fall in love during the evaluation process.

since then (last 5 games), he's shooting 50% from the floor and 43% from 3, averaging 18/4/2.

I’m well aware. I’m obviously biased, given that I’ve seen more of Herro’s games and practices than literally every single person on this board combined. But for the people who doubt him, I think they’ll be quite surprised to see what he looks like in another year.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#55 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 pm

mattg wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I’m well aware. I’m obviously biased, given that I’ve seen more of Herro’s games and practices than literally every single person on this board combined. But for the people who doubt him, I think they’ll be quite surprised to see what he looks like in another year.

Totally open to guys improving and changing my evaluation. But he would have to convince me he's an elite shooter and more of a playmaker to really buy in.
mattg
General Manager

Post#56 » by mattg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 am

You’ll come around on his shot. The way he squares his shoulders and get his feet prepped before the catch is GOAT level. Obviously there’s much more to shooting than just that, but even among elite shooters that really stands out for Tyler.

His efficiency this season started horrendously as he was rushing his shot and for some reason had a slight fade that cropped up (my guess is he was feeling the increased size/athleticism of defenders) but he seems to have finally adjusted to the level of competition.

Playmaking I think he needs more time and on ball reps for to keep improving. He’s always had good passing instincts, but until his senior year he wasn’t used much on ball at all. His post entry passing has been excellent though this season.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#57 » by PLO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 am

I have to watch more of Washington but from what I've seen, I'm not that impressed with him even when he's lit it up in terms of stats. I don't think he's that athletic, especially vertically and I'm not sure some of his skills will translate that well to the NBA, even if he's a solid all-round college player. He doesn't really have a go-to skill to fall back on, having said that I can understand why he's rated a first rounder in this particular draft given its a poor one.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#58 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 am

RipCity71252 wrote:I really like Kevin. Had him late lotto...but he doesn't have the mentality, aggressiveness, footwork or the versatility to his release to be the level of scorer Klay is imo.

You might want to see this.

RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by RipCity71252 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:49 am

EvanZ wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:I really like Kevin. Had him late lotto...but he doesn't have the mentality, aggressiveness, footwork or the versatility to his release to be the level of scorer Klay is imo.

You might want to see this.

I watched the game and I'd be happy to be wrong about this.

But let's not get carried away. Before this game, he was sporting a 51.5 TS% on a sub 15% usage.

We'll see if this is a sign of things to come, but it's far too early to tell.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by RipCity71252 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 am

EvanZ wrote:That archetype is just really hard to get onto an NBA floor.

Not really. I think the problem is more about value, especially on a contending team.

But not every team drafts with that in mind. There are teams out there that just need talent/production and are not concerned about whether or not this kid we just drafted is simply just a floor raising type 2nd or 3rd option scorer at their high end outcomes.

Herro is one of the few guys in this draft that I could see becoming a pretty efficient scorer on 21-24% type usage w/ playmaking and salvageable D.

He has the mentality, footwork, high/quick/versatile release, and enough ball skills + athleticism to be that type of player imo.

Return to NBA Draft