Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: De'Andre Hunter 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:What is the major difference between him and Kawhi leaving San Diego? Very similar size, length and athleticism. Both elite defenders (Kawhi better at getting steals) with moldable offensive games because both are such high IQ players. Kawhi had the edge with steals and rebounds, Hunter with the big edge in jumper.

Not saying he's Kawhi 2.0 because it's impossible to predict a progression curve equal to Kawhi's. Just saying leaving college, they look like pretty similar players.

Kawhi is an obvious analogue, but even then, Hunter is more advanced as a scorer today than what Kawhi was early in his career.

but yeah, that sort of development we saw from Kawhi is impossible to predict.

Ya, Kawhi the more aggressive defender while Hunter the more efficient scorer. And ya the development from Kawhi is just crazy and you would be crazy to try and predict that from anyone.

But I really do think Hunter as a prospect has been sleeping on a lot, and I think a big reason for that is playing at UVA and the snails pace they play at. His per 100 offensive stats paints the picture as a pretty elite offensive player, to go along with being an elite defender. Hunter won ACC DPOY this year over a stacked field which included guys like Tre Jones and Zion.

completely agree.

i've said in this thread earlier that he's only going to look better in the NBA with more transition ops. that's when his skill set is gonna start to shine.

he also lowkey has a really good J and not just as a spot-up guy by off the dribble too.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:06 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Kawhi is an obvious analogue, but even then, Hunter is more advanced as a scorer today than what Kawhi was early in his career.

Ya, Kawhi the more aggressive defender while Hunter the more efficient scorer. And ya the development from Kawhi is just crazy and you would be crazy to try and predict that from anyone.

But I really do think Hunter as a prospect has been sleeping on a lot, and I think a big reason for that is playing at UVA and the snails pace they play at. His per 100 offensive stats paints the picture as a pretty elite offensive player, to go along with being an elite defender. Hunter won ACC DPOY this year over a stacked field which included guys like Tre Jones and Zion.

completely agree.

i've said in this thread earlier that he's only going to look better in the NBA with more transition ops. that's when his skill set is gonna start to shine.

he also lowkey has a really good J and not just as a spot-up guy by off the dribble too.

I actually like his form off the dribble better than his spot up. He has that nice high release point on it. I like his spot up shot, just needs to speed it up a little (which isn't uncommon for a guy going to the NBA).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:And just a little comparison for his stats compared to RJ.

RJ: per 100 conference:
35/11/6 with 5 turnovers on 45/32/68 shooting splits (54 TS%)

Hunter's per 100 conference:
31/11/4 with 3 turnovers on 53/50/76 shooting splits (63 TS%)

A little deeper dive in the numbers

RJ:
39% of his shots come at the rim
63% finisher at the rim
36% of his shots at the rim are assisted on

27% of his shots are 2pt jumpers
38% shooter on those shots
24% of these shots are assisted on

Hunter:
38% of his shots come at the rim
68% finisher at the rim
29% of his shots at the rim are assisted on

37% of his shots are 2pr jumpers
42% shooter on those shots
34% of these shots are assisted on

For a guy that gets put into the box of a guy that can't create his own shot. He actually attacks the basket at the same rate as RJ, while being assisted on even less and finishing better at the rim.

good analysis

one caveat tho, I feel like playing with Guy/Jerome really opens up the court for Hunter to drive, meanwhile at Duke it's kind of congested for RJ (and Cam/Zion).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:

RJ:
63% finisher at the rim

Hunter:
68% finisher at the rim

For a guy that gets put into the box of a guy that can't create his own shot. He actually attacks the basket at the same rate as RJ, while being assisted on even less and finishing better at the rim.

good analysis

one caveat tho, I feel like playing with Guy/Jerome really opens up the court for Hunter to drive, meanwhile at Duke it's kind of congested for RJ (and Cam/Zion).

Ya that is definitely true. Hunter is playing alongside one of the best floor spacers in the country, while Duke is one of the worst shooting teams in the nation.

My slight counter to that (I agree with it 100%, just another thing to add on), RJ has played the majority of the season with the guy with the biggest gravitational pull we have seen in awhile with Zion. His gravity isn't from his shooting ability, but from coaches and defenses so fixated on where he is at 24/7.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

RJ:
63% finisher at the rim

Hunter:
68% finisher at the rim

good analysis

Ya that is definitely true. Hunter is playing alongside one of the best floor spacers in the country, while Duke is one of the worst shooting teams in the nation.

My slight counter to that (I agree with it 100%, just another thing to add on), RJ has played the majority of the season with the guy with the biggest gravitational pull we have seen in awhile with Zion. His gravity isn't from his shooting ability, but from coaches and defenses so fixated on where he is at 24/7.

agreed, tho Zion's gravity is more inwards than outwards, so RJ's 3pt shooting, not driving/finishing, is what should be better.

either way, both Hunter and RJ are gonna look even better attacking with more spacing at the next level.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#66 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

completely agree.

That’s not his game, he isn’t a transition shooter. He needs his feet set and as other have said, his jumper isn’t quick. I’ve seen him get blocked from the three point line a couple times this year just because his jumper isn’t super quick. Eventually he might be able to do that, but not right now. He’s not really a shooter, he’s a scorer.

You want to talk good transition shooters, Ayo Dosunmu has a lightning quick release from the perimeter.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#67 » by pelifan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:What is the major difference between him and Kawhi leaving San Diego? Very similar size, length and athleticism. Both elite defenders (Kawhi better at getting steals) with moldable offensive games because both are such high IQ players. Kawhi had the edge with steals and rebounds, Hunter with the big edge in jumper.

Not saying he's Kawhi 2.0 because it's impossible to predict a progression curve equal to Kawhi's. Just saying leaving college, they look like pretty similar players.

You mean besides shorts length?

Kawhi is kind of more quick twitch guard like IMO. He had a lot of just weird moves at SDDU that came out of nowhere like a Hakeem double fake. Iverson crosses and in and out dribbles that went nowhere but still looked cool. Aesthetically Kawhi was a more varied scorer and played more upright. But still I actually like Hunter’s offensive game more stylistically. He’s got such a wide base and a long first step where he attacks his opponents weightbearing leg and he can stop on a dime if the defender is caught conceding too much while recovering. But if Hunter’s first step gets stymied he doesn’t have a ton else in the toolbag at this point to create space. So I’m not sure he has the same offensive ceiling as Kawhi as an iso scorer. But I like his potential playmaking ability much more than SDSU’s Leonard’s regardless of what the numbers may say.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#68 » by MemphisX » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:41 am

This guy never really pops for me when I watch them live.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#69 » by Saberestar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 pm

He has been invisible during the last month, no info about workouts (or secret workouts) or interviews for any team.

Any rumour or anything about Hunter? It's pretty strange that everything is so quiet about him with the draft so close.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Saberestar wrote:He has been invisible during the last month, no info about workouts (or secret workouts) or interviews for any team.

Any rumour or anything about Hunter? It's pretty strange that everything is so quiet about him with the draft so close.

most likely he has already been promised and a pretty high pick
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#71 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He has been invisible during the last month, no info about workouts (or secret workouts) or interviews for any team.

8th probably
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#72 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

I like him a hell of a lot more than guys like Culliver and Little.

I think there is a good argument that he is the 5th best prospect in this draft after Zion, Barrett, Bol and Seku.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#73 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

8th probably

But in that case it would not make sense to stay away from workouts or interviews, 8th is not a high pick for him.

He can be in play for the Lakers, Cavs, Suns or even Bulls...but no workout for any of them.

We will see, no clue what is going on.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#74 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

8th probably

But in that case it would not make sense to stay away from workouts or interviews, 8th is not a high pick for him.

He can be in play for the Lakers, Cavs, Suns or even Bulls...but no workout for any of them.

We will see, no clue what is going on.

Workouts would only hurt the stock of someone as limited as he is offensively against better ball handlers shooters etc.
I personally think he has become way too overrated due to solid defense but really is a role player at best.
I don't see him in play at 4 if LAL are trading for AD and I doubt Cavs would take him despite possibly being the current bpa since he is far from the highest ceiling prospect at that point and they are in the beginning of their long rebuild. I doubt anyone made a promise to him before ATL at 8 and even that is questionable. He either goes 4 if LAL in win now mode keep the pick and don't love Garland or he falls to 8 maybe 9th.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#75 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 pm

He is going to workout for CLE next week
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#76 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:33 pm

If a team had him at #2 on their board, I wouldnt blame them. I don't think Ja is on a tier all by himself, I think the tier after Zion has a good chunk of guys on it. Hunter is a super strong wing with elite size who was the NDPOY and shot 44% from 3, while having good form. To me at the minimum he is an elite 3&D player that you can plug into any starting lineup in the NBA. I also think his ability to create is a little slept on and I would be willing to take the chance that he has a good progression rate in the NBA.

With that said I wouldnt take him #2. Even if I have him #2 on the board, I would trade down to like 5th and draft him then.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,742

Post#77 » by eminence » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:07 am

Duke4life831 wrote:If a team had him at #2 on their board, I wouldnt blame them. I don't think Ja is on a tier all by himself, I think the tier after Zion has a good chunk of guys on it. Hunter is a super strong wing with elite size who was the NDPOY and shot 44% from 3, while having good form. To me at the minimum he is an elite 3&D player that you can plug into any starting lineup in the NBA. I also think his ability to create is a little slept on and I would be willing to take the chance that he has a good progression rate in the NBA.

With that said I wouldnt take him #2. Even if I have him #2 on the board, I would trade down to like 5th and draft him then.

Just finalized him at #2 on mine. Looks like an absolute lock to be a good starter who can fit on any team at the very least.
I bought a boat.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#78 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:16 am

eminence wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:If a team had him at #2 on their board, I wouldnt blame them. I don't think Ja is on a tier all by himself, I think the tier after Zion has a good chunk of guys on it. Hunter is a super strong wing with elite size who was the NDPOY and shot 44% from 3, while having good form. To me at the minimum he is an elite 3&D player that you can plug into any starting lineup in the NBA. I also think his ability to create is a little slept on and I would be willing to take the chance that he has a good progression rate in the NBA.

Just finalized him at #2 on mine. Looks like an absolute lock to be a good starter who can fit on any team at the very least.

How would you guys rate him vis-à-vis Mikal Bridges as a prospect out of college?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,742

Post#79 » by eminence » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 am

The-Power wrote:
eminence wrote:

How would you guys rate him vis-à-vis Mikal Bridges as a prospect out of college?

Not the shooter Bridges is, but I like him in most other areas. Having small ball 4 potential is a big selling point to me.
I bought a boat.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:05 am

The-Power wrote:
eminence wrote:

Hunter is the better defender in my opinion. Plus his body and strength is going to allow him to guard stronger and bigger players. I also think his strength allows him to be a more versatile scorer. Bridges is the better shooter, but I don't think that gap will be all that big in their primes. If side with Hunter pretty easily.

Return to NBA Draft