clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: Mfiondu Kabengele 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 am

GimmeDat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Yeah, everything I've seen so far suggests he's a 1st rounder, heck, probably a mid-1st level talent. As a team with an early 2nd (Bulls have MEM pick at #36 right now), I can only hope Kab's limited college role and lack of draft hype push him in to a range where we could possibly take him.

We obviously have Lauri/WCJ with Otto playing some 4 minutes, but in terms of actual big men backups, we're limited (no backup PF at all, RoLo is a UFA and Felicio is a bum who is not an NBA rotation player). Could be a decent opportunity to round out our front-court.

he's a first rounder for sure

the only thing that MIGHT make him drop is that 2nd half of the first round there's a lot of PF/C talent, so that might push someone down

That's true. If you're drafting on draft night.. do you take him over say PJ Washington/Grant Williams/Rui Hachimura/Brandon Clarke/Daniel Gafford/Goga Bidagze/Bruno Fernando/Jontay Porter?

Personally, from what I've seen, I'd take him over PJ/Grant/Rui and maybe Gafford. It might be the case that teams prefer the more proven commodities over Kab, though. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

you also have McDaniels, Bassey, Reid and Konate. that region of the draft is pretty stacked w/ bigs.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#42 » by GimmeDat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:41 am

clyde21 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
he's a first rounder for sure

the only thing that MIGHT make him drop is that 2nd half of the first round there's a lot of PF/C talent, so that might push someone down

That's true. If you're drafting on draft night.. do you take him over say PJ Washington/Grant Williams/Rui Hachimura/Brandon Clarke/Daniel Gafford/Goga Bidagze/Bruno Fernando/Jontay Porter?

Personally, from what I've seen, I'd take him over PJ/Grant/Rui and maybe Gafford. It might be the case that teams prefer the more proven commodities over Kab, though. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

you also have McDaniels, Bassey, Reid and Konate. that region of the draft is pretty stacked.

For sure. I think I'd take Kab pretty comfortably over those guys, though. But yeah, loads of front-court NBA level talent going around in the range.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#43 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 am

I'm sensing some Max Kleber like comps for him. I'm intrigued how well he does at the combine if they allow underclassmen the option.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#44 » by Kalela » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:41 am

Aside from someone mentioning his inability to pass, not a single negative thing was said about him in a 3 page thread. He sounds like a good player. How does he compare to Konate? Konate is undersized but he is a bundle of energy and plays way bigger than his side in terms of defense.
Fire Mazzulla
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#45 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 am

Kalela wrote:Aside from someone mentioning his inability to pass, not a single negative thing was said about him in a 3 page thread. He sounds like a good player. How does he compare to Konate? Konate is undersized but he is a bundle of energy and plays way bigger than his side in terms of defense.

Konate is a weird athlete, really good two-foot vertical. Oddly not much of a one-foot vertical. It’s bizzare. It’s like he was built to defend, but doesn’t have much of an offensive upside.

Kabengele is bigger in height and in size, he runs the floor much better, has a legitimate jumper, good/powerful jumper from either one or two feet. He’s just a beast of an athlete.

Konate I would say has better defensive instincts, but I’m personally not a huge fan of Konate. He’s known as a defender, but I think he’s kind of wishy washy defensively. He’s short for a center and I’ve seen opposing centers easily shoot over him.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 am

Konate is a wild card...he was showing marked improvement as a defender and shooter before he got hurt. finished his year shooting 39% from 3, which would've been huge for him offensively.

Kab is a better prospect though by a strong margin.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#47 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I'm sensing some Max Kleber like comps for him. I'm intrigued how well he does at the combine if they allow underclassmen the option.

Kleber is elite as **** on D, like mirroring guys, can defend almost any position other than huge Centers like Embiid

Kab is a good shot blocker but his D in general is pretty meh

Kabengele reminds me of a none crazy/less skilled Andray Blatche, he is a bucket getter that can block the occasional shot
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#48 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Fischella wrote:
Kabengele reminds me of a none crazy/less skilled Andray Blatche, he is a bucket getter that can block the occasional shot

4.4 BLK/100 in conference play. Seems to me you're underrating him a bit there.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#49 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Blatche had a year of 3.7BLK per 100 and a few others above 2
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Fischella wrote:

You’re underrating Blatche, but the big difference is Kabengele’s ability to run in transition and he just has more athletic force. Blatche had trouble adjusting to the modern NBA, Kabengele fits well in the NBA.

People here underrate the ability to run in transition and defend in transition. It’s as big as shooting 3s in the NBA. Easy points on offense and defending against easy points. Why do you think NBA teams have sped up the pace so much? If a player runs in transition, can finish with a dunk and runs back in transition they can immediately be a starter, like Hamidou Diallo. That’s why athletes are so important when translating.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Fischella wrote:

You’re underrating Blatche, but the big difference is Kabengele’s ability to run in transition and he just has more athletic force. Blatche had trouble adjusting to the modern NBA, Kabengele fits well in the NBA.

People here underrate the ability to run in transition and defend in transition. It’s as big as shooting 3s in the NBA. Easy points on offense and defending against easy points. Why do you think NBA teams have sped up the pace so much? If a player runs in transition, can finish with a dunk and runs back in transition they can immediately be a starter, like Hamidou Diallo. That’s why athletes are so important when translating.

Boom. Exactly.

I rarely agree with u but this right here is the truth...

this is exactly why a guy like Hunter, for instance, is going to be SO good in the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Boom. Exactly.

this is exactly why a guy like Hunter, for instance, is going to be SO good in the NBA.

Actually you agree with me quite a bit because when it comes to understanding how players translate, I’m the expert. The only thing we tend to not agree on is the eye test. You think certain players are translatable or you think someone is more or less athletic/skilled than they are and I think the opposite. And I generally cringe at the kind of threads you make.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,488

Post#53 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Boom. Exactly.

Actually you agree with me quite a bit because when it comes to understanding how players translate, I’m the expert. The only thing we tend to not agree on is the eye test. You think certain players are translatable or you think someone is more or less athletic/skilled than they are and I think the opposite. And I generally cringe at the kind of threads you make.

I've never seen an olive branch slapped out of someone's hand like this.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Boom. Exactly.

My bad. It’s all tongue-in-cheek. I didn’t see it as an olive branch. Maybe it was a bit much, I feel the need to pound my chest when someone tries to belittle me. Maybe I have a Napoleon complex.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Boom. Exactly.

lol trust me, I don't give a ****. dude has been a sad, garbage poster for a while.

two days ago he was calling Herro undraftable, but 'he's the expert'. i don't think he realizes most people here don't really take him seriously at all, and im at the top of that list.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

lol trust me, I don't give a ****. dude has been a sad, garbage poster for a while.

two days ago he was calling Herro undraftable, but 'he's the expert'. i don't think he realizes most people here don't really take him seriously at all, and im at the top of that list.

Man of the people

And for the 100th time, I wasn’t saying Herro was undraftable, I was saying he was a second round pick and compared him to a player that isn’t draftable, saying Kyle Guy should be drafted. It wasn’t against Herro, it was against Herro being a high end prospect and for Guy being a draftable prospect. But you love to imagine this stuff and bark on it any time you get.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Man of the people

calm down expert
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#58 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Only a Kabengale thread could bring out the greatest basketball scouts on the planet...

But yeah, I'm looking for MK to make a name for himself in these upcoming games. FSU will need to make an elite 8 run minimum. I don't know if their guard play is up to par.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Only a Kabengale thread could bring out the greatest basketball scouts on the planet...

But yeah, I'm looking for MK to make a name for himself in these upcoming games. FSU will need to make an elite 8 run minimum. I don't know if their guard play is up to par.

I laughed.

Love the attitudes and personalities here, but respect each other. Thanks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#60 » by GimmeDat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 am

Don't buy the Blatche comparison, but just to go OT for a second here, I think Blatche if he was in shape and with his head screwed on would've been a talent, off of my memory of him.

Return to NBA Draft