Mfiondu Kabengele

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,186

Re: Mfiondu Kabengele 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 am

tough guy to come up with a comp for...Clint Capela is best I've heard so far but it's not perfect
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#62 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 am

clyde21 wrote:tough guy to come up with a comp for...Clint Capela is best I've heard so far but it's not perfect

Wait what? How is Kab anything like Capela
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#63 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:41 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Don't buy the Blatche comparison, but just to go OT for a second here, I think Blatche if he was in shape and with his head screwed on would've been a talent, off of my memory of him.

Agreed - what a waste of talent. He looked like he never worked out and went from out of shape to grossly out of shape in his last NBA season. He had excellent length to make up for average athleticism, range on his jumper, could handle the ball some (though not as well as he seemed to think), and was a talented passer when he felt like passing. But very sloppy and just lazy. It was sad at the end, because the DC fans booed him. He's played in China since then, and he's had issues there, too.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#64 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Random thing I learned watching the game: Kabengele is Mutumbo’s nephew. Now the shot blocking instincts make sense.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Random thing I learned watching the game: Kabengele is Mutumbo’s nephew. Now the shot blocking instincts make sense.

Or you could have read the first post in this thread. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Random thing I learned watching the game: Kabengele is Mutumbo’s nephew. Now the shot blocking instincts make sense.

Or you could have read the first post in this thread. :lol:

That too :lol:
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#67 » by GimmeDat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am

Ruzious wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Don't buy the Blatche comparison, but just to go OT for a second here, I think Blatche if he was in shape and with his head screwed on would've been a talent, off of my memory of him.

Agreed - what a waste of talent. He looked like he never worked out and went from out of shape to grossly out of shape in his last NBA season. He had excellent length to make up for average athleticism, range on his jumper, could handle the ball some (though not as well as he seemed to think), and was a talented passer when he felt like passing. But very sloppy and just lazy. It was sad at the end, because the DC fans booed him. He's played in China since then, and he's had issues there, too.

Watched him play for the Phillipines a few times, where he obviously got the star treatment from the rabid fans over there. He's in Eddy Curry level shape but just coasts on his size and talent. It's a pity he never wanted to extend himself to reach his potential in the slightest.

Not to mention his role in the game brawl against Australia.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 pm

dude plays with real fierceness that I love...kinda like Bruno. sometimes that's not necessarily a good thing if you can't control it but in his (and Bruno's case) it's a huge plus.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 am

He’s going into my lottery after this game. Makes winning plays.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 am

One thing I notice about Kebengele is that he kind of floats around on defense. Better interior defender than on the wing. Just doesn’t run up to guys, gives them too much space and doesn’t move great laterally. His aggressiveness is also really selective. Think I misjudged him by putting him in the lottery.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#71 » by MemphisX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:10 am

A shot blocking Speights...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:05 pm

MemphisX wrote:A shot blocking Speights...

That might be a good comp. He played well over the weekend against both UVA and Duke - but still comes off the bench. Had 3 3's and 3 blocks against Duke. Unfortunately, I don't think he's quick enough to play PF in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:

That might be a good comp. He played well over the weekend against both UVA and Duke - but still comes off the bench. Had 3 3's and 3 blocks against Duke. Unfortunately, I don't think he's quick enough to play PF in the NBA.

Comes off the bench because Cofer is a machine.FLA state is one of the deepest teams in the country and it's rotations are very fluid. Kabengele has shown a lot in 21 minutes per this season often against other teams starting forwards etc. He is an underrated defender overall,and deserves 1st round consideration imo.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Comes off the bench because Cofer is a machine.FLA state is one of the deepest teams in the country and it's rotations are very fluid. Kabengele has shown a lot in 21 minutes per this season often against other teams starting forwards etc. He is an underrated defender overall,and deserves 1st round consideration imo.

Agreed on all counts - FLaSt may be the deepest team in the country, and I wasn't even surprised they beat UVA. I'd like to see them against Gonzaga in the 3rd round.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm

i don't remember young Speights but Kab seems a lot more athletic than him when Marreese was with the Warriors
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Ruzious wrote:That might be a good comp. He played well over the weekend against both UVA and Duke - but still comes off the bench. Had 3 3's and 3 blocks against Duke. Unfortunately, I don't think he's quick enough to play PF in the NBA.

Agreed on all counts - FLaSt may be the deepest team in the country, and I wasn't even surprised they beat UVA. I'd like to see them against Gonzaga in the 3rd round.

Yeah, they have a couple future prospects on their team. They all have great size and unique skills/traits.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 448

Post#77 » by Smalltown » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

He's going to be a second round steal for someone. He's already got a NBA "motor". His shooting as mentioned is much improved with his confidence. He's going to be a good role player for many years.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 pm

doordoor123 wrote:One thing I notice about Kebengele is that he kind of floats around on defense. Better interior defender than on the wing. Just doesn’t run up to guys, gives them too much space and doesn’t move great laterally. His aggressiveness is also really selective. Think I misjudged him by putting him in the lottery.

You did. As I said earlier, people need to slow down with him.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#79 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:One thing I notice about Kebengele is that he kind of floats around on defense. Better interior defender than on the wing. Just doesn’t run up to guys, gives them too much space and doesn’t move great laterally. His aggressiveness is also really selective. Think I misjudged him by putting him in the lottery.

considering he is no spring chicken his need for improvement in some areas could push him down some,but overall I think he is a good enough prospect as is to go late first and early 2nd at latest.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 pm

EvanZ wrote:

You’re right, going over my entire board today I found myself dropping him a bit. He has potential, but I’m not sure it’s elite potential. More like good player potential. And even then he has a ways to go.

Return to NBA Draft