Jayden Gardner

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Jayden Gardner 

Post#21 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Hes fallen back down to earth recently. He should transfer.

He's been one of the best players in the country this year. Yesterday he had 29 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals and a block vs a ranked Witchita State team. He's averaging 21.3ppg 9.2rpg on the season and has a top 15 PER in the nation even playing 32 minutes where most of the guys ahead of him are playing 20 some a game.

He came back slimmer and quicker this year as well and has lost 25lbs since he stepped on campus. 6-7, 235.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#22 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jan 8, 2020 9:30 pm

12 foot rim do you see him as going in the next nba draft? First round/Second? What would be his role on an nba team? What parts of his game will tranlate well to be an asset to an nba team, potentially?

When i opened a thread from 12 foot rim, i assumed it would be about a big with a high PER, i was somewhat correct.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 9, 2020 5:22 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:12 foot rim do you see him as going in the next nba draft? First round/Second? What would be his role on an nba team? What parts of his game will tranlate well to be an asset to an nba team, potentially?

When i opened a thread from 12 foot rim, i assumed it would be about a big with a high PER, i was somewhat correct.

I guess it only takes one team to believe in you, but I doubt he ever gets drafted. I do think he will end up dominating in the Gleague and probably get a chance for a cup of coffee at some point. He doesn't seem to have plus length, he's below the rim, and has lack of a three is hard to overcome, but he's a unique player that I have a hard time comparing him to anyone.

He's came back this year with SF ball skills, and gets a lot of his offense as a slasher but is rugged enough to hold up at PF and even Center in the post with his rebounding. Teams put big guys on him and he takes them out 15 feet and blows by them, small guys he overpowers. He's leads the nation in FT attempts and and where most of his value comes from. His first step and ball handling at his size are what make him so good on offense. I think they are elite and are skills teams could work with.

I think he could be a SF/PF tweener, he's handling the ball a lot this year and creating Ultimately his path to the NBA if he has one will depend on his 3 pointer and he's actually started to take a few more recently. He's a pretty good FT shooter too at 74%. He's only 19 so he does have that going for him.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#24 » by EvanZ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Probably too unathletic to be interesting.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 am

EvanZ wrote:Probably too unathletic to be interesting.

You guys really should watch him a couple times, maybe when he matches up with Precious
Achiwa from Memphis in a few games.

He just dropped another gem tonight on another nationally ranked team, #21 Houston

29 points
19 rebounds
3 assist
1 turnover
11-19 FG's (1-2 from three)
6-10 FT's

he had 19 rebounds on the best rebounding team in the nation. They are #1 in rebound rate in the nation, and what drives why they are nationally #21 ranked.

The things the guy is doing are legit big time and the team around him sucks so bad it actually makes it more impressive how he's able to do the things he does anyway despite being double and triple teamed even. Increasingly I think he's just in that catagory of player that finds a way.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#26 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:48 pm

12footrim wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Probably too unathletic to be interesting.

You guys really should watch him a couple times, maybe when he matches up with Precious
Achiwa from Memphis in a few games.

He just dropped another gem tonight on another nationally ranked team, #21 Houston

29 points
19 rebounds
3 assist
1 turnover
11-19 FG's (1-2 from three)
6-10 FT's

he had 19 rebounds on the best rebounding team in the nation. They are #1 in rebound rate in the nation, and what drives why they are nationally #21 ranked.

The things the guy is doing are legit big time and the team around him sucks so bad it actually makes it more impressive how he's able to do the things he does anyway despite being double and triple teamed even. Increasingly I think he's just in that catagory of player that finds a way.

Really an interesting player.
Impressive stats.

Should be a little bit to small to play the 4 in the nba.
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#27 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Lol when I saw this thread pop up again I was going to chime into say he's not athletic enough. LMAO already said it! He's basically like an undersized center that doesn't shoot, not a great archetype. Sure he'll be a good Euro player someday.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:Lol when I saw this thread pop up again I was going to chime into say he's not athletic enough. LMAO already said it! He's basically like an undersized center that doesn't shoot, not a great archetype. Sure he'll be a good Euro player someday.

I think you should watch him. He plays more like a SF on offense this year. He has a pretty elite first step and ball handling for his size. Most of his offense comes from taking players off the dribble and slashing to the rim. Teams go big he blows by them, they go small he goes by them or either over powers or shoots over them. I know mid range is frowned upon but he's pretty good at it and uses it to set players up for drives.

This is what Kelvin Sampson said about him, who has coached in the NBA.

“I just love Jayden Gardner,” Sampson said. “He’s just a winner. We’ve played against a lot of teams, but Gardner is the best player we’ve played against. We’ve played against nobody that is more difficult. You don’t know who to put on him.”

Houston has played Oregon, Washington, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, UConn, S. Carolina, Wichita State, BYU etc this year. There are several draft prospects among them.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#29 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 pm

I think you're looking at a less athletic version of Erich Paschall (who also is a decent slasher). Just not sure what that's worth in the NBA.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,731

Post#30 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:00 am

This kid intrigues me. Yes, he's undersized but he's a walking bucket. You can't push him off his spot because of how strong he is, and that body he has will translate in the NBA. If PJ Tucker can carve out a role in the NBA why can't this kid?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#31 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:46 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:This kid intrigues me. Yes, he's undersized but he's a walking bucket. You can't push him off his spot because of how strong he is, and that body he has will translate in the NBA. If PJ Tucker can carve out a role in the NBA why can't this kid?

For one thing PJ Tucker can shoot, and before that he was in Europe for years.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,731

Post#32 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:45 am

EvanZ wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:This kid intrigues me. Yes, he's undersized but he's a walking bucket. You can't push him off his spot because of how strong he is, and that body he has will translate in the NBA. If PJ Tucker can carve out a role in the NBA why can't this kid?

Like I said, if PJ Tucker can carve out a role in the NBA why can't Jayden Gardner?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#33 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:26 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Like I said, if PJ Tucker can carve out a role in the NBA why can't Jayden Gardner?

Hey if PJ Tucker can do it, why can't I?
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#34 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:04 pm

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:09 pm

13th to 66th in a couple weeks is a tough stretch no doubt. Couple things,

#1 The AAC is a great basketball league

#2 after watching him the last couple years and watching a similar collapse at the same time last year, I think the refs have called him differently in each of the later half of each conference season. When your game is predicated on getting to the line more than anyone in the nation and then that basically doesn't happen and your are still getting hacked while trying to shoot it compiles the efficiency problems. (The Harden affect in the playoffs)

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory where the league say screw ECU, but I do think subconsciously they hold their whistle after a point in the season when it's clear there are teams to protect and teams that are proven to suck and going now where because he's not getting the same calls and that really is much of the difference and I've seen it 2 years in a row now.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:23 pm

Also his rough steach has coincieded with the emergance of Tristen Newton who is a 6-5 Fr point guard that in the last 8 games has averaged

15.9 ppg
6.6 rpg
3.6 apg
1.6 spg

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1859166

Hopefully at some point with those two young players ECU doesn't suck and we can test the theory about foul calls even if ECU only has an NIT caliber team I think you might see Gardner get called the same as he does the earlier half of the conference season.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by 12footrim » Thu Feb 4, 2021 5:00 pm

Gardner's delt with a concussion and hasn't been as good this year until late but he shows up for the ranked teams over and over in his careeer on the biggest stage.

21 points
15 rebounds
4 assist
1 block
1 turnover
on 13 shots from the floor

in and upset of #5 Houston

He put 29 and 19 on them last year when they were ranked #21 and 35 and 20 on Tacko Fall and a UCF team that was top 30.

Probably to old as well to get any draft consideration at this point but some team should still give him a shot to make a team.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#38 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:14 am

I don't think it is about the age. Was scouting a D3 standout this year and saw them face Gardner. The guy is incredibly efficient on offense, but I have questions about who he guards at the next level and his ability to space the floor. High energy though. He is a guy who could show out at draft camps like the PIT and draft combine and boast his stock. The problem is the pandemic and whether these are up in the air if the NFL is any precedent.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by 12footrim » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:13 pm

jman3134 wrote:I don't think it is about the age. Was scouting a D3 standout this year and saw them face Gardner. The guy is incredibly efficient on offense, but I have questions about who he guards at the next level and his ability to space the floor. High energy though. He is a guy who could show out at draft camps like the PIT and draft combine and boast his stock. The problem is the pandemic and whether these are up in the air if the NFL is any precedent.

I know the D3 guy you are referring too, he's 25 miles away and I would love to see him transfer to play with Gardner.

I think Gardner's path to the NBA if he has one would be similar to Devontae Cacok where he rips up the Gleague and gets a cup of coffee in the NBA. He's guarding whoever that guy is guarding. Different players, but similar builds.

I think Gardner is the better caliber player though, he put 30 points and 15 rebounds on Cacok as a freshman when Cacok was a senior and held him to 7 points and 9 rebounds both well below averages.

Kelvin Sampson said Gardner should have been the preseason POY in the AAC. When you get to that level of a conference 7th ranked conference I think you got to get a chance somewhere.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#40 » by jman3134 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:58 pm

If you are interested, I issued a report on him (the D3 kid), though I didn't post it here. If you are interested (http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2021/01/scouring-nation-part-1-damon-mcdowell.html)

Anyway, this game coming up will be another look at this guy. Should be fun.

Return to NBA Draft