Markus Howard

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

kcpruitt1
Ballboy
Posts: 30
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 18, 2016
   

Markus Howard 

Post#1 » by kcpruitt1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Would love to discuss Markus Howard as an NBA prospect. A lot of people are mocking him late second or undrafted, but based on his numbers at his age I think he should be a mid first round prospect. I talk more about it here: https://thedraftreport.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-argument-for-markus-howard-as-top.html

What do you guys think about Howard? I know he's undersized and will be weak on defense but his scoring and shooting ability at 19 years old is pretty unbelievable. He's actually about 6 months younger than Trae Young...
atlantabbq99
Analyst
Posts: 3,647
And1: 1,195
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#2 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 2:39 pm

He is a 6'0 shooting guard. He is a pure shooter, but I wish he had more PG skills and was alittle bit better at penetrating.

He will make a great 6th man, but he also doesn't play that much team ball.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:05 pm

I don’t see him as an NBA player at all. At 5’11 you really have to have a complete game because defensively you’re such a liability. The problem is that he doesn’t have a great handle, doesn’t have a lot of speed, takes bad shots and he isn’t a good playmaker. And if you’re playing him off-ball, you want him to be able to defend and again, at 5’11 he’s a liability on defense. If he’s drafted it’s a bad pick IMO.
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,404
And1: 1,522
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#4 » by mattg » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:10 pm

He’s an incredible shooter, up there on that Curry/Redick/Hield/Fredette echelon for college. Just not sure you can justify playing him in the nba at his size with what else he (doesn’t) bring to the table.

That said, I would still expect him to be drafted because some team will take a chance on his shooting
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:13 pm

mattg wrote:He’s an incredible shooter, up there on that Curry/Redick/Hield/Fredette echelon for college. Just not sure you can justify playing him in the nba at his size with what else he (doesn’t) bring to the table.

That said, I would still expect him to be drafted because some team will take a chance on his shooting


He’s not that great of a shooter, but he can shoot.
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,404
And1: 1,522
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#6 » by mattg » Sat Mar 9, 2019 5:14 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
mattg wrote:He’s an incredible shooter, up there on that Curry/Redick/Hield/Fredette echelon for college. Just not sure you can justify playing him in the nba at his size with what else he (doesn’t) bring to the table.

That said, I would still expect him to be drafted because some team will take a chance on his shooting


He’s not that great of a shooter, but he can shoot.

Who would you compare him to as a shooter? Not many guys have his combination of volume, different ways they can get their shot off, free throw efficiency, and overall shooting efficacy.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,147
And1: 15,879
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#7 » by GimmeDat » Sat Mar 9, 2019 10:52 pm

Dude's an absolute gun, but at the NBA level I struggle to see him being any more than a 3rd string gunner. He's going to be able to score but he's going to be a liability elsewhere.

If you took DJ Augustin and removed the playmaking I'm not sure how valuable that is. Crude comparison of 2 little guys, Howard may be a more prolific scorer but I don't think he'd get the same usage rate in any meaningful NBA role because of his lack of PG play.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,535
And1: 2,992
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#8 » by Fischella » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:12 pm

Howard is just tiny, not only in height but overall size
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:52 pm

mattg wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
mattg wrote:He’s an incredible shooter, up there on that Curry/Redick/Hield/Fredette echelon for college. Just not sure you can justify playing him in the nba at his size with what else he (doesn’t) bring to the table.

That said, I would still expect him to be drafted because some team will take a chance on his shooting


He’s not that great of a shooter, but he can shoot.

Who would you compare him to as a shooter? Not many guys have his combination of volume, different ways they can get their shot off, free throw efficiency, and overall shooting efficacy.


Guys with a high volume in college like he has scares me because he won’t be able to do that in the NBA, especially since he takes so many contested 3s. As a shooter I’m not really sure who to compare him to because there just aren’t a lot of guys who have taken so many threes since it’s such a new concept to take a bunch of threes, especially in college. But he’s also not consistent and his shots don’t always look like it’s going to go in, like with a lot of elite shooters. At the same time he can get his shots off in different ways, but doesn’t really create a lot of space off the dribble and again, his height is a big detriment for a shooter because in the NBA defenders aren’t as relaxed as they are in college. And Howard has a hard time against length even in college.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:53 pm

Fischella wrote:Howard is just tiny, not only in height but overall size


YEah, super skinny. Undersized guys like Yogi Ferrell work because he has a thicker body and can handle a little contact.
GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 8,017
And1: 6,237
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#11 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:24 am

doordoor123 wrote:
mattg wrote:He’s an incredible shooter, up there on that Curry/Redick/Hield/Fredette echelon for college. Just not sure you can justify playing him in the nba at his size with what else he (doesn’t) bring to the table.

That said, I would still expect him to be drafted because some team will take a chance on his shooting


He’s not that great of a shooter, but he can shoot.


I mean he's made almost 45% of his three pointers and easily 90% of his free throws in a should be professional setting. He can shoot, that's for sure!
Give Alabi the rock and let him beast!

Image

Stop comparing the combined posters of an internet message board to someone with a mental illness!
GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 8,017
And1: 6,237
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#12 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:08 am

doordoor123 wrote:
mattg wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
He’s not that great of a shooter, but he can shoot.

Who would you compare him to as a shooter? Not many guys have his combination of volume, different ways they can get their shot off, free throw efficiency, and overall shooting efficacy.


Guys with a high volume in college like he has scares me because he won’t be able to do that in the NBA, especially since he takes so many contested 3s. As a shooter I’m not really sure who to compare him to because there just aren’t a lot of guys who have taken so many threes since it’s such a new concept to take a bunch of threes, especially in college. But he’s also not consistent and his shots don’t always look like it’s going to go in, like with a lot of elite shooters. At the same time he can get his shots off in different ways, but doesn’t really create a lot of space off the dribble and again, his height is a big detriment for a shooter because in the NBA defenders aren’t as relaxed as they are in college. And Howard has a hard time against length even in college.


He's making 45%. I'd rather have a guy who's shot might not look perfect but has it go in, then a guy who's shot theoretically looks good but rims out.
Give Alabi the rock and let him beast!

Image

Stop comparing the combined posters of an internet message board to someone with a mental illness!
atlantabbq99
Analyst
Posts: 3,647
And1: 1,195
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#13 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:I don’t see him as an NBA player at all. At 5’11 you really have to have a complete game because defensively you’re such a liability. The problem is that he doesn’t have a great handle, doesn’t have a lot of speed, takes bad shots and he isn’t a good playmaker. And if you’re playing him off-ball, you want him to be able to defend and again, at 5’11 he’s a liability on defense. If he’s drafted it’s a bad pick IMO.


I disagree, if everything goes right for Howard, he can be another J. J. Barea.

Image
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,535
And1: 2,992
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#14 » by Fischella » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:19 am

Barea is strong and can play PG, makes some bonehead plays but has feel, Howard can barely handle the ball

to me he is like Ian Clark, probably better, but that role doesn't have much room to grow into, it's just what it is
SBM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,318
And1: 236
Joined: Nov 16, 2013
     

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#15 » by SBM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:27 am

His numbers say he is legit 1st round player but I haven't seen him play a convincing game. Could be a steal.
kobyz
Senior
Posts: 565
And1: 121
Joined: Oct 31, 2006

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#16 » by kobyz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 am

Paul Stoll clone, not an nba player...
atlantabbq99
Analyst
Posts: 3,647
And1: 1,195
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#17 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 am

His ceiling is Barea, his floor is Seth Curry.

He is a 2nd round pick that might be a great NBA 6th man, or he could be the best player in China 3 years from now.
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,404
And1: 1,522
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: Markus Howard 

Post#18 » by mattg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 am

The other analogue that I didn't mention is Chris Lofton who played at Tennessee a decade ago or so. Another undersized SG (though he was bigger than Howard, but less athletic) who had crazy 3pt ability that actually is pretty similar to Howard in style. High volume, loved to pull up off the dribble, super deep range, and efficient.

Howard can be better than Lofton because of his athleticism, being younger, the nba's current focus on shooting ability, and not having to go through cancer treatments during his final college season, but still there's a solid chance Howard can't find a place in the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft