Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Re: Declared List thread 

Post#281 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Javin Delaurier and Marques Bolden from Duke are both in. Many expect Javin to return but Bolden to stay in. I doubt either have the slightest shot at getting drafted. Especially Bolden who gets exposed trying to guard the PnR and can't rebound and has zero offensive skill.

Bolden has no NBA future he's gonna eventually end up returning. not draftable at all. Same with Javin IMO.

Duke doesn't expect Bolden back. I agree he has no NBA future. But wouldn't be surprised if he does a year in the G league then heads over seas.

I know Duke expects their front court to be Hurt/Carey with Jack/Javin off the bench.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#282 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Javin Delaurier and Marques Bolden from Duke are both in. Many expect Javin to return but Bolden to stay in. I doubt either have the slightest shot at getting drafted. Especially Bolden who gets exposed trying to guard the PnR and can't rebound and has zero offensive skill.

Bolden has no NBA future he's gonna eventually end up returning. not draftable at all. Same with Javin IMO.

Duke doesn't expect Bolden back. I agree he has no NBA future. But wouldn't be surprised if he does a year in the G league then heads over seas.

I know Duke expects their front court to be Hurt/Carey with Jack/Javin off the bench.

how do you like next year's team compared to this year's?

I feel like having Tre Jones in his 2nd year is gonna make a pretty big difference
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#283 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

how do you like next year's team compared to this year's?

I feel like having Tre Jones in his 2nd year is gonna make a pretty big difference

Honestly I have no clue how next year's team is going to look.

Tre
Stanley
Moore
Hurt
Carey

Is a weird starting 5. Again shooting 1-3 will be an issue. Stanley with his freakish athleticism has shown times of being a good defender, but that is far from consistent. I love the offensive skill with Hurt and Carey. Boogie and Alex can be a spark plugs off the bench. I mean there is no doubt talent there (maybe not top tier NBA talent). Just not sure current day K can bring out the best of this roster.

It's either going to go 1 of 2 ways. The team is either going to be very well rounded and hard to stop because of that. Or the team never clicks and people will just say the team didn't have the talent because there is no top 10 pick on this year's team. Which I think would just be one more year of people giving K a pass which he doesn't deserve.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#284 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Duke is easily #1 for me
clyde21
RealGM

Post#285 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:23 pm

Carey is ridiculously overrated at this point to me from what I've seen, I like Wendell Moore tho.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#286 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:Carey is ridiculously overrated at this point to me from what I've seen, I like Wendell Moore tho.

I think he is going to be a stud in college, but he isn't a great NBA prospect. I think most mock drafts have him rated pretty accurately, ESPN's early mock draft has him going in the 20s, which makes sense to me.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#287 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Carey is ridiculously overrated at this point to me from what I've seen, I like Wendell Moore tho.

I think he is going to be a stud in college, but he isn't a great NBA prospect. I think most mock drafts have him rated pretty accurately, ESPN's early mock draft has him going in the 20s, which makes sense to me.

I think we can win it all next year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#288 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 pm

916fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting. He's a freshman (albeit a year older) who put up very impressive numbers.

He didn’t play against good competition and will be a G-league player even if he’s drafted. Just kind of dominated players with his athleticism. Can’t really dribble, not a great feel for the game and not a good defender (despite his steals). Reminds me of Avery Bradley a bit without the elite defense, but again he’ll need to develop his game. I talked about him earlier in the year.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#289 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#290 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Jordan Poole officially staying in the draft btw
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#291 » by Saints14 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:39 am

doordoor123 wrote:
916fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting. He's a freshman (albeit a year older) who put up very impressive numbers.

He didn’t play against good competition and will be a G-league player even if he’s drafted. Just kind of dominated players with his athleticism. Can’t really dribble, not a great feel for the game and not a good defender (despite his steals). Reminds me of Avery Bradley a bit without the elite defense, but again he’ll need to develop his game. I talked about him earlier in the year.

Not a great assessment of Pickett. His feel and BBIQ (on O and D) are his best qualities, and he isn’t an explosive athlete. This might not be his year to commit to the draft but when he’s ready, I think he’ll stick in the league because he’s a guy coaches can trust. He does for sure need to develop his handle
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#292 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:27 am

Saints14 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
916fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a great assessment of Pickett. His feel and BBIQ (on O and D) are his best qualities, and he isn’t an explosive athlete. This might not be his year to commit to the draft but when he’s ready, I think he’ll stick in the league because he’s a guy coaches can trust. He does for sure need to develop his handle

Lol. This is funny, his feel and BBIQ have been questionable. If it’s his best quality then he has a bad best quality. His best quality is his athleticism and amount of touches he has. Its been reported he’s likely going to return, which will probably benefit his game and potential as a prospect going forward. But he’s not at all ready right now for an NBA role. He’s a G-league player right now, besides his game and lack of handle he’s super skinny. Guys with his body type and lack of elite size tend to have a hard time making it in the league. His handle isn’t just bad, it’s horrible for someone his size too. No control. If he gets in the league, it’s because of his athleticism and defensive potential. He gets back on D and tries to block shots in transition with his elite verticality.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#293 » by Saints14 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:54 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Saints14 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Lol. This is funny, his feel and BBIQ have been questionable. If it’s his best quality then he has a bad best quality. His best quality is his athleticism and amount of touches he has. Its been reported he’s likely going to return, which will probably benefit his game and potential as a prospect going forward. But he’s not at all ready right now for an NBA role. He’s a G-league player right now, besides his game and lack of handle he’s super skinny. Guys with his body type and lack of elite size tend to have a hard time making it in the league. His handle isn’t just bad, it’s horrible for someone his size too. No control. If he gets in the league, it’s because of his athleticism and defensive potential. He gets back on D and tries to block shots in transition with his elite verticality.

I don't know who you've been watching but Pickett is definitely not super skinny (pic below) and one of the reasons he ended up at Siena was because his athleticism was questioned (https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/03/07/how-siena-college-men-s-basketball-landed-jalen-pickett). His middling free throw rate is a question mark, and he struggled gaining separation on drives even against MAAC competition - unclear if that's more a reflection of his poor handle or mediocre first step.

But man, having watched most of his games, I can tell you his feel and BBIQ is special. So rare for a freshman PG to make so few mistakes and command such control of the game (at any level). His A/TO ratio was elite, and even then most of his turnovers came from getting his pocket picked and not from poor decision making. His game isn't flashy but he just always makes the right play; he has excellent vision and makes a ton of high-value (again, not flashy) passes. And that's without even playing PG before college! Makes me believe in his ability to be a positive impact player in the NBA at some point - maybe not this year, but down the road.

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#294 » by GimmeDat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am

From what I've seen, he's a good feel/IQ guy. If anything I would question the athleticism, seems pretty average. But good size/strength.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#295 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:17 am

Saints14 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Saints14 wrote:

I don't know who you've been watching but Pickett is definitely not super skinny (pic below) and one of the reasons he ended up at Siena was because his athleticism was questioned (https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/03/07/how-siena-college-men-s-basketball-landed-jalen-pickett). His middling free throw rate is a question mark, and he struggled gaining separation on drives even against MAAC competition - unclear if that's more a reflection of his poor handle or mediocre first step.

But man, having watched most of his games, I can tell you his feel and BBIQ is special. So rare for a freshman PG to make so few mistakes and command such control of the game (at any level). His A/TO ratio was elite, and even then most of his turnovers came from getting his pocket picked and not from poor decision making. His game isn't flashy but he just always makes the right play; he has excellent vision and makes a ton of high-value (again, not flashy) passes. And that's without even playing PG before college! Makes me believe in his ability to be a positive impact player in the NBA at some point - maybe not this year, but down the road.

It’s funny when people try to find the best picture possible of a skinny player’s muscles. Just because he’s muscular doesn’t mean he isn’t skinny. He’s very skinny, it’s his frame. I’ve only seen his games against better competition and he looked pedestrian. Anyone can look better like they have a better IQ against lesser competition. But I agree that he can become a contributor over time, but it’s going to take time. From what I’ve seen he’s one of the most athletic guards in the class. I’m interested to see him at the combine to see what he does with less touches and against the best competition in college.

Return to NBA Draft