Ochai Agbaji

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TYO23
Sophomore
And1: 70

Re: Ochai Agbaji 

Post#21 » by TYO23 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I think he’s definitely a good leaper off of two in space. I’d definitely consider him a good leaper but not great or freakish.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#22 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Needs skills. Good college player. Don't see good NBA player...yet.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm

916fan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:wasn't expecting to see him this season... has been exactly what Kansas needed.
The BB iq seems pretty elite for a 18 yr old. pair that with his poise , size,length and freakish hops and you got a lottery pick.

Freakish hops? He doesn't stand out at all for me in terms of explosiveness at the rim. Doesn't seem like much of a leaper. Don't see a lotto pick in him this year. Too many holes in his games.

Best thing he's got going for him is his age and size for the 2guard. Young player in the age where freshmen are 19/20 yearsold.

However, I'm really not sure why he red shirted this year... he looks better than Quentin Grimes lol

completely disagree about the athleticism, not sure what your looking at.There are very little obvious "holes" in his game in the ltd. usage he has seen in Kansas offense I guess I can see why you would assume that since nobody has seen the entire arsenal. give it awhile it will sink in.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Fischella wrote:He is fluid but he is not a high flyer or an elite athlete, more strong than anything, he reminds me of Mo Evans

He is KU's best prospect, but that ain't saying much, other than Lawson, I highly doubt any of the others declare this year, lotto for Agbaji is way too high, I'd have him 35-50 if he declares this year

Kansas should be good next year, esp if they get Hurt;

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

:-?

Read on Twitter
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#25 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Fischella wrote:He is fluid but he is not a high flyer or an elite athlete, more strong than anything, he reminds me of Mo Evans

He is KU's best prospect, but that ain't saying much, other than Lawson, I highly doubt any of the others declare this year, lotto for Agbaji is way too high, I'd have him 35-50 if he declares this year

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

I'm really curious about how you define athleticism because some of your takes regarding players and athleticism are head scratching at best.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#26 » by doordoor123 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

I'm really curious about how you define athleticism because some of your takes regarding players and athleticism are head scratching at best.

He’s not an elite athlete in the way Kawhi isn’t an elite athlete, but Kawhi is definitely an elite athlete. I saw him get his head over the rim so I also don’t really get what he’s saying. But in terms of speed he isn’t the quickest, but like Kawhi, he has long strides that make him quicker.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#27 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Got the same vibes from the poster above. He moves like Kawhi (not saying this its his comparison). But this way of moving, kind of stiff and mechanical, using the long arms, that looks bad but turns out to be effective. Just the first thing that popped out when I watched him.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:27 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

He’s not an elite athlete in the way Kawhi isn’t an elite athlete, but Kawhi is definitely an elite athlete. I saw him get his head over the rim so I also don’t really get what he’s saying. But in terms of speed he isn’t the quickest, but like Kawhi, he has long strides that make him quicker.

part of the reason why I compared him to a mini Giannis earlier in the thread
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:

part of the reason why I compared him to a mini Giannis earlier in the thread

when i run i have longer strides than when i sprint, just saying. To me it's indicative of what kind of athleticism he really has that is actually held in check by him to some degree otherwise he wouldn't be able to **** stop running. 8-)
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#30 » by 916fan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:40 am

clyde21 wrote:

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

Read on Twitter

https://streamable.com/vj3wx
https://streamable.com/o03ex
https://streamable.com/rkfbm

Come on.. this is nowhere near elite athlete.

This is what I would consider a good athlete:
https://streamable.com/7kgwu

That's Malik Beasley
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#31 » by 916fan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 am

Stillwater wrote:
916fan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:wasn't expecting to see him this season... has been exactly what Kansas needed.
The BB iq seems pretty elite for a 18 yr old. pair that with his poise , size,length and freakish hops and you got a lottery pick.

Freakish hops? He doesn't stand out at all for me in terms of explosiveness at the rim. Doesn't seem like much of a leaper. Don't see a lotto pick in him this year. Too many holes in his games.

Best thing he's got going for him is his age and size for the 2guard. Young player in the age where freshmen are 19/20 yearsold.

However, I'm really not sure why he red shirted this year... he looks better than Quentin Grimes lol

completely disagree about the athleticism, not sure what your looking at.There are very little obvious "holes" in his game in the ltd. usage he has seen in Kansas offense I guess I can see why you would assume that since nobody has seen the entire arsenal. give it awhile it will sink in.

See my other post above. There's a giant hole in his game.. he can't handle the ball.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:25 pm

916fan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Dotson-Moore-McBride
Grimes-Garrett-Braun
Agbaji-Lawson
Hurt-Lightfoot-De Sousa
Azubuike-McCormack

Read on Twitter

https://streamable.com/vj3wx
https://streamable.com/o03ex
https://streamable.com/rkfbm

Come on.. this is nowhere near elite athlete.

This is what I would consider a good athlete:
https://streamable.com/7kgwu

That's Malik Beasley

i feel like we're not watching the same player tbh.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm

916fan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
916fan wrote:Freakish hops? He doesn't stand out at all for me in terms of explosiveness at the rim. Doesn't seem like much of a leaper. Don't see a lotto pick in him this year. Too many holes in his games.

See my other post above. There's a giant hole in his game.. he can't handle the ball.

well, yea. we'll see how it develops as he's still super green.

but if he had a strong handle he might be the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in the class, so there's that.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
916fan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:completely disagree about the athleticism, not sure what your looking at.There are very little obvious "holes" in his game in the ltd. usage he has seen in Kansas offense I guess I can see why you would assume that since nobody has seen the entire arsenal. give it awhile it will sink in.

well, yea. we'll see how it develops as he's still super green.

but if he had a strong handle he might be the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in the class, so there's that.

I mean if an elite handle is now a requirement for an off guard prospect in the lottery, I'm all ears... but that shouldn't dissuade teams from being enamored with the positives unless it's Phoenix looking for their point guard upgrade.
Besides it's not like the ball handling is poor per say, it's just not a strength.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#35 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:41 pm

I just had this weird thought that we're looking at Ben McLemore 2.0. I need to watch a lot more though.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#36 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:I just had this weird thought that we're looking at Ben McLemore 2.0. I need to watch a lot more though.

I can see some parallels there but B Mac was a 7th overall pick for a reason, too.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#37 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I just had this weird thought that we're looking at Ben McLemore 2.0. I need to watch a lot more though.

I can see some parallels there but B Mac was a 7th overall pick for a reason, too.

My point is I don't think we should hype this guy too much given that right now he's pretty raw.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 pm

yea, I don't see a reason why Agbaji shouldn't be in everyone's lotto.

he's an elite handle away from being a top tier prospect, and even then the handle is actually quite functional as it is.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#39 » by GimmeDat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Can someone give me the low-down on the hype? I've never watched him. Just searched up some clips and from what I can see, he looks like a good athlete, not as explosive as Ben Mac but pretty functional, frame looks smaller than BM's but possibly wirey-strong. The shooting %'s look good, his form looks fine but doesn't look like an elite or highly versatile shooter (at a glance).

That's my very immediate reaction to watching some of his highlights. What am I missing?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,750

Post#40 » by eminence » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Tried to watch both Big XII games at the same time, and probably wound up watching more ISU v KS so wasn't super focused, but I don't think I'd say I came away super-impressed, certainly not lottery level impressed. Seems like he's a decently athletic (mostly strong) small wing with decent looking spot up shooting and plenty of defensive potential. Saw nothing in terms of handling/passing/shooting off movement.
I bought a boat.

Return to NBA Draft