Who is this year's Tourney DDV?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Who is this year's Tourney DDV? 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

DDV should have been a second round pick or maybe even UDFA but the tourney propelled him to a mid-first round pick. Who do you see, if any, having that kind of tourney lift this year?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Who is this year's Tourney DDV? 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm

I made a tournament thread, I dunno maybe you can ask in there?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I made a tournament thread, I dunno maybe you can ask in there?

Because this isn't "a tournament thread". It's a specific topic.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Well, so far and it's early...it's Jahlil Jenkins..
but they won't win another game so ...
I think if anyone has the best shot to significantly improve their stock it's Tyus Battle
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm

hoping it's my boy Grimes :wink:

also Jaylen Nowell, Xavier Sneed, Joe Wieskamp or Tyler Cook could vault themselves with big tourneys
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#6 » by CptCrunch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Tourney risers almost never turn out well. You have a whole season of data, but people convince themselves that the tourney somehow matters more succumbing to a terrible form of recency bias.

But it is useful to look at how players in the WCC (Gonzaga prospects) and other soft conferences fare against NBA potential defenders. Neemias Queta will be fun to look at since his Utah State's has had a paper soft schedule.

I wouldn't want to see another Derrick Williams situation this year.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 pm

paulbball wrote:Tourney risers almost never turn out well. You have a whole season of data, but people convince themselves that the tourney somehow matters more succumbing to a terrible form of recency bias.

But it is useful to look at how players in the WCC (Gonzaga prospects) and other soft conferences fare against NBA potential defenders. Neemias Queta will be fun to look at since his Utah State's has had a paper soft schedule.

I wouldn't want to see another Derrick Williams situation this year.

Right...but I think what OP meant was who has been under the radar that any given team would have had ranked higher than fan mocks will then move up in fan mock/big board rankings etc. scouts are not sharing their reviews unless they are scouts paid to do so.
When you find a gem you don't run around announcing it to the jackers,you hope noone notices until after you have taken ownership of their contract.
Derrick Williams was a rare situation , but the tournament does show you what players that were already on the radar stand out under pressure situations etc.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#8 » by mattg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am

The obvious one is probably Zach Norvell Jr, another SG on a great team. He's likely going to have a chance at a deep run to create the narrative, and if he defends well and knocks down shots at a high rate you know an NBA team is gonna fall in love with that. He also played pretty well this season overall and was on draft boards early in the year.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#9 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Merrill from Utah St isn't really in any boards right now but I could see him getting drafted because of the tournament.

I think both Hachimura and Clarke (age going against him though) could easily propel themselves some spots because of the tournament too.

I still can't believe the Bucks took DiVicenzo over Huerter and Walker :/
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#10 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:27 pm

mattg wrote:The obvious one is probably Zach Norvell Jr, another SG on a great team. He's likely going to have a chance at a deep run to create the narrative, and if he defends well and knocks down shots at a high rate you know an NBA team is gonna fall in love with that. He also played pretty well this season overall and was on draft boards early in the year.

Great choice. Yeah he has the measurable. Could easily score 20+ any game or a run of these games. Gonzaga is going to win. To zags he’s actually like the 4th most important player, but to a lot of people he may end up looking like the top guy
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Norvell is ok, don't think he moves into the first round but hey anything is possible.
Zags are going to potentially get bounced by either Cuse or Baylor in rd. 2 imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:Merrill from Utah St isn't really in any boards right now but I could see him getting drafted because of the tournament.

I think both Hachimura and Clarke (age going against him though) could easily propel themselves some spots because of the tournament too.

I belive it. DeVicenzo went to a contender, he has barely played and has been injured almost all year. He can do well in a small and prove himself when the time comes, which might be in the playoffs because Brogdon is out, but DiVicenzo still isn’t back from injury.

Lonnie Walker also has been injured for most of the year and spends most of his time in the G-League because it’s the Spurs and that don’t ever play their rookies or give them an opportunity. Derrick White didn’t play many minutes till this year and you see what he’s doing. Next year Lonnie is probably getting more opportunities to prove himself.

On the flip-side Huerter went to tanking team that was willing to throw him in the fire from the get-go. So I think your comment is short-sighted.
Eskobar13
Starter

Post#13 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:44 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Eskobar13 wrote:Merrill from Utah St isn't really in any boards right now but I could see him getting drafted because of the tournament.

I belive it. DeVicenzo went to a contender, he has barely played and has been injured almost all year. He can do well in a small and prove himself when the time comes, which might be in the playoffs because Brogdon is out, but DiVicenzo still isn’t back from injury.

Lonnie Walker also has been injured for most of the year and spends most of his time in the G-League because it’s the Spurs and that don’t ever play their rookies or give them an opportunity. Derrick White didn’t play many minutes till this year and you see what he’s doing. Next year Lonnie is probably getting more opportunities to prove himself.

On the flip-side Huerter went to tanking team that was willing to throw him in the fire from the get-go. So I think your comment is short-sighted.

My comment was based on the fact that, before the tourney, everyone saw Huerter and Walker as better prospects, right? Both would also have been great fits in Milwaukee. If this is wrong, then I'm sorry and I retract my comment. But I don't think it makes much sense to call my comments short-sighted when you're using hindsight to argument against my opinion.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40 pm

neither Huerter nor Walker have done anything yet in the NBA to show they would've been better picks than DDV.
Eskobar13
Starter

Post#15 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:neither Huerter nor Walker have done anything yet in the NBA to show they would've been better picks than DDV.

Once again, what does this have to do with what they've done in the NBA?

Had they not done anything in college that would lead you to think they'd be better picks than DDV? I'm really not sure but if I remember correctly both were generally mocked higher than DDV.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:neither Huerter nor Walker have done anything yet in the NBA to show they would've been better picks than DDV.

Huerter has absolutely shown he should have been a higher pick. What exactly are you watching?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Huerter has absolutely shown he should have been a higher pick. What exactly are you watching?

based on what, exactly? :-?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

His dribbling, passing, and shooting. I dunno man, if you don't see his talent, not sure what to tell you.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#19 » by mattg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:18 pm

As a bucks fan I think a lot of people on this board are too hard on DDV and haven’t watched him much in the nba. His quickness and foot work and hustle all look to be elite on the nba level. Looks like he’s going to be an excellent defender who moves the ball really well. Just need his shot to get more consistent and for him to get healthy.

Huerter has been solid and you can definitely argue he’s better both as a pick and for the bucks...but pining for Lonnie walker and saying it’s ridiculous that DDV was picked before him based on this season is absurd.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

His dribbling, passing, and shooting. I dunno man, if you don't see his talent, not sure what to tell you.

I don't that's what this discussion is about...original poster said he 'can't believe Bucks took DDV over huerter'...i'm saying we haven't seen anything yet to show us that that was the wrong pick.

Return to NBA Draft