Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

elias808
Junior
And1: 310

Re: Best and Worst Spots for Zion 

Post#21 » by elias808 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 am

Coeur wrote:
elias808 wrote:Best;
1. Hawks - Solid young core (Collins, Young, Huerter) to space the floor, creating mismatches, and opening up driving lanes. Up-tempo style of play will make life easy for Zion on the break.

2. Dallas - All the same reasons as ATL (although I like the fit better in ATL, hence why I have them ahead of Dallas). Luka, Porzingis, Zion under the tutelage of Carlisle could be amazing on both end of the court.

3. Blazers - Home team bias and wishful thinking.

Dallas might be best for Zion. That frontline could be the greatest of all time. I already think Dallas is the best option for Kyrie. With a Doncic/Zion/Porzingis frontline how could he resist.

Does Dallas have the #1 pick protected if they win?if so I might switch my prediction from Orleans to Dallas

Realistically I should have ATL/Dallas as 1A /1B. Both teams, to me atleast, offer Zion the best realistic chance to reach his potential of the team's he could possibly end up with.

Kyrie on Dallas could spell disaster. Not sure he can work off the ball enough to maximize Luka as a player. It seems to me that Dallas is all in as Luka as a PBH, and should look to put players around him that can move the rock, but not dominate the ball.
elias808
Junior
And1: 310

Post#22 » by elias808 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 am

MemphisX wrote:Dallas is a terrible spot for him. Why would he want to go somewhere and not be the clear cut #1 guy?

Because he isn't a #1 option. Sorry if this is a hot take, but he isnt.

Zion is a clear cut #1 pick, but to maximize potential he needs a squad around him. He might want to be THE MAN, but it should be about the bigger picture. Luka's vision on the court would make Zion better by proxy.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#23 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:24 am

Atlanta would be a tremendous fit due to style of play, pace, spacing and Trae Young
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#24 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 am

Knicks might really be a superteam if they get Zion. Mitch Rob is already a great piece plus perhaps some top free agents.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#25 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:22 am

King Ken wrote:Atlanta would be a tremendous fit due to style of play, pace, spacing and Trae Young

I mean, I like it a lot and I like the hawks as a young dynamic team with upside, but you don't even want Zion on atlanta though, right? Maybe I have you confused with another hawks avatar guy though.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#26 » by Coeur » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 am

Hawks is just like the knicks. No reason to put a great player there. Those franchises will do what they’ll do no matter. They’re like the Cincinnati bengals of the nba
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#27 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 am

Best For Marketing reasons:
Knicks
LAL

Best for basketball reasons:
Suns
Mavs
Hawks

Worst:
LAL
CLE
WIZ
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#28 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:25 am

I think if the Knicks get Zion they will get Kyrie and Durant. Not only for basketball reasons but as a teammate they can help each other as a brand.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#29 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 am

Coeur wrote:Hawks is just like the knicks. No reason to put a great player there. Those franchises will do what they’ll do no matter. They’re like the Cincinnati bengals of the nba

Son! Log off and go to sleep
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#30 » by Coeur » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 pm

King Ken wrote:
Coeur wrote:Hawks is just like the knicks. No reason to put a great player there. Those franchises will do what they’ll do no matter. They’re like the Cincinnati bengals of the nba

Son! Log off and go to sleep

They’re not all 3 the same fan bases though. Knicks or bengals wouldn’t have Zion play home games I front of a half full arena
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Wherever he goes they will instantly get more nationally televised games even if they suck...so it doesn't negatively impact the nba and if anything puts maybe a potentially fading fanbase back on the map./
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#32 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:36 pm

elias808 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Dallas is a terrible spot for him. Why would he want to go somewhere and not be the clear cut #1 guy?

Because he isn't a #1 option. Sorry if this is a hot take, but he isnt.

Zion is a clear cut #1 pick, but to maximize potential he needs a squad around him. He might want to be THE MAN, but it should be about the bigger picture. Luka's vision on the court would make Zion better by proxy.

I think Zion will basically be the man anywhere he goes, but I agree it would be awesome to see him next to a young star playmaker like Young or Doncic. He's a wrecking ball off the ball that would create all kinds of opportunities for a truly gifted passer and they are effective spacing threats for when Zion is on the ball. A team with a guard like that would be the ideal landing spot for a talent like Zion.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,688

Post#33 » by Domejandro » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:28 pm

paulbball wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:
paulbball wrote:Worst

1. Lakers - under the shadow of LeBron, media scrutiny. He needs some ball pounding duties to develop his ball skills.
2. Knicks - talents die here
3. Minnesota - dysfunctional franchise like the Knicks. Gonna live in the shadow of Towns for a year or two slowing down his development. Wiggins makes the team cap strapped for the next 4 years.

Actually Towns and Zion would be a great fit.

Not Zion wants to win. Towns does not fit with Zion skill wise. Zion needs floor spacers. Same for Towns. Both also need a PG that the Wolves don't actually have.

Wiggins cripples the Wolves' cap so there is 0 way for Zion to win during his rookie contract.

Treadmilling 5 years with Towns + Wiggins is not a fun thing.

With respect, I wouldn't want to play in Minnesota if I was Zion either, given how dysfunctional the franchise is, but Minnesota is pretty much (from a playing perspective) an ideal fit for Zion.

1. Karl-Anthony Towns is arguably the best fit at the Center position for Zion in the league.
    ----A. Shoots 41% behind the arc on five shots per game.
    ----B. Commands consistent double and triple teams and is capable at hitting cutters out of them.
    ----C. Zion's incredible defensive ability meshes well with Towns' rebounding and rim protection.
    ----D. No other center offers better spacing and attention at that position to create space for Zion.
    2. Robert Covington is a great complimentary piece for any roster.
    ----A. Top three defensive player.
    ----B. Shoots 38% behind the arc on just under six-and-a-half attempts per game.
    ----C. Excellent at covering switch action against ball-handlers.
    3. Tyus Jones is a flawed, but stable Point-Guard.
    ----A. High quality defensive player by most metrics throughout his career.
    ----B. Is posting an unheard-of 6.55 AST/TO.
    4. Keita Bates-Diop and Josh Okogie both project to be solid role-players.
    ----A. This point isn't very exciting, but at least Minnesota has a little bit of affordable talent.

Minnesota's problem is that the horrendous contracts of Gorgui Dieng and Andrew Wiggins prevents them from obtaining that "final piece", which is why they are projected to be in the NBA treadmill forever. Zion Williamson is literally that "final piece" type of player that they are screwed with not being able to get.

Jeff Teague / Tyus Jones (RFA)
Andrew Wiggins (boo) / Josh Okogie
Robert Covington / Luol Deng* / Cameron Reynolds
Zion Williamson / Keita-Bates Diop
Karl-Anthony Towns / Gorgui Dieng (oof)

I like it more if you swap around Tyus and Okogie into the starting roles, but regardless, that is actually a pretty damn solid squad to surround Zion with. Certainly better than most of the other options (primarily because of Towns and Covington). A duo of Towns and Williamson with Covington as the glue guy is pretty phenomenal.

That said, as I stated, this franchise blows, so if I am Zion, I think I prefer most of the other options and bet on my own talent to raise a team to a similar level.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#34 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:00 pm

Zion is not a #1 option scorer. His ideal NBA role is one where he doesn't have to fixate on putting up points, and the other aspects of his game can shine.

The best landing spot for Zion is a franchise that already has an established #1 scorer + creator in place. If he goes to a team where he's expected to carry the scoring load, he will struggle due to his shaky jumpshot and idiots will start say he's been "exposed"

Suns - Booker
Bulls - Lavine
Hawks - Young
Mavs - Doncic
Wiz - Beal
Wolves - Towns

Those are the teams in the lotto that have smooth offensive creators who can play on/off ball and space the floor. Wiz and Wolves have salary constraints that make it harder to add pieces, Bulls have a frontcourt logjam, and Suns are renowned to have organizational instability.

That leaves Atlanta & Dallas - large TV markets that already have star young #1s in place. But for the NBAs sake, we better hope he goes to the Eastern Conference to balance out starpower (and for myself haha, so I don't have to stay up late to watch him) .. So I'll settle on Atlanta. They may have to move John Collins for a wing if he and Zion can't play together, but that's TBD.

But honestly... the perfect landing spot ,which I didn't mention before is probably if he goes to the Knicks and they sign Durant and/or Irving. A lot of people would hate on it but that situation would be ideal for him.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#35 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Domejandro wrote:
paulbball wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:
Actually Towns and Zion would be a great fit.

Not Zion wants to win. Towns does not fit with Zion skill wise. Zion needs floor spacers. Same for Towns. Both also need a PG that the Wolves don't actually have.

Wiggins cripples the Wolves' cap so there is 0 way for Zion to win during his rookie contract.

With respect, I wouldn't want to play in Minnesota if I was Zion either, given how dysfunctional the franchise is, but Minnesota is pretty much (from a playing perspective) an ideal fit for Zion.

1. Karl-Anthony Towns is arguably the best fit at the Center position for Zion in the league.
    ----B. Commands consistent double and triple teams and is capable at hitting cutters out of them.
    ----C. Zion's incredible defensive ability meshes well with Towns' rebounding and rim protection.
    ----D. No other center offers better spacing and attention at that position to create space for Zion.
    ----B. Shoots 38% behind the arc on just under six-and-a-half attempts per game.
    ----A. This point isn't very exciting, but at least Minnesota has a little bit of affordable talent.

Minnesota's problem is that the horrendous contracts of Gorgui Dieng and Andrew Wiggins prevents them from obtaining that "final piece", which is why they are projected to be in the NBA treadmill forever. Zion Williamson is literally that "final piece" type of player that they are screwed with not being able to get.

I like it more if you swap around Tyus and Okogie into the starting roles, but regardless, that is actually a pretty damn solid squad to surround Zion with. Certainly better than most of the other options (primarily because of Towns and Covington). A duo of Towns and Williamson with Covington as the glue guy is pretty phenomenal.

That said, as I stated, this franchise blows, so if I am Zion, I think I prefer most of the other options and bet on my own talent to raise a team to a similar level.

If the TWolves landed Zion + KAT duo, you count your lucky stars and do everything you can to clear salary.
At that point you can attach 2 FRP to move Wiggins just to get his salary off the books.

Same with Washington , if we landed Zion I'd extend Beal and give up whatever picks to move Wall's deal . Because free agents will come to play with a Zion + Beal duo, the capspace is worth more than the opportunity cost of those future picks.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#36 » by CptCrunch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
paulbball wrote:

If the TWolves landed Zion + KAT duo, you count your lucky stars and do everything you can to clear salary.
At that point you can attach 2 FRP to move Wiggins just to get his salary off the books.

Same with Washington , if we landed Zion I'd extend Beal and give up whatever picks to move Wall's deal . Because free agents will come to play with a Zion + Beal duo, the capspace is worth more than the opportunity cost of those future picks.

Yes, this

Pawn the future to get rid of Wiggins then sign role players + vets. Hope Zion can become an all-star type by year 2 latest.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#37 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Not sure what’s best for Zion’s career, but b-ball wise, I’d like to see him in Atlanta, Dallas or Phoenix. Any of those three teams have young talent which Zion compliments well,
Hey you! Can we come together?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#38 » by coldfish » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:09 pm

For Zion

I think Atlanta, Dallas or Chicago would put him in a good situation to succeed immediately without a ton of pressure. There are primary scorers in place in all three places and Zion could just walk in and do his thing. Organizations seem stable right now and I wouldn't anticipate a lot of drama.

NY will be a train wreck for him. Either he goes there by himself and has the weight of the franchise on his shoulders and is asked to be something he isn't (an isolation scorer) or he goes there with a top free agent or two and has the weight of the entire city on his shoulders.

LA would suck for him because of Lebron. Its funny, on court him and Lebron would work great. Lebron just doesn't like young players and would be feeding info through the papers about trading him for someone represented by Klutch. His rookie year would be a soap opera not of his doing.

The NBA just wants him in the biggest market possible. Having NY, LA and Chicago out of the playoffs isn't going to help ratings this year.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#39 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm

I would like to see him with Collins on defense. They can play off each other. Any big can play in our system on offense with Trae. He makes it easy for every big anyway
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#40 » by bigboi » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 am

ATL would Be best for the league and for Zion as well. Young and Zion seem like they were made for each other
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to NBA Draft