Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

How would a Booker/Culver tandem work? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 am

I know some say trade Booker, but that's just not going to happen, so the Suns need to get the best PG or combo guard to play next to him, preferably one who can shoot and play D.

Now ideally the get Zion and do a trade for Jrue or Conley if possible, but that may be a long shot, unless a team wants Warren and/or Jackson, Tyler Johnson and maybe a Bucks first next year. That probably isn't enough but gives cap relief for the following year and a useful 3 in the case of TJ.

I am unsure that Morant is the best backcourt mate with Book due to defense and Morant needing to be on ball all the time. Ideally Booker plays mostly off ball but he is likely to handle the ball a fair amount, and needs D next to him. Culver isn't the best shooter yet, but that might be partially due to him facing immense defensive pressure and with other options around him he thrives. They could both play on or off ball and Culver has the size and defense.

If Suns slip to 5 or 6 or even 7 (doubtful) they go with Clarke who is a perfect defensive guy next to Ayton while also having a great touch.

If no trade is available for PG maybe sign a cheaper option like a Collison or someone who can shoot and play some D. Cory Joseph may not be enough but next year's PG class is stronger as well and maybe Melton and/or Okobo emerges.

Even with no trades a lineup with Collison/Booker/Bridges/Clarke/Ayton may lack shooting but would have at least two premier defenders and hopefully Ayton continues to improve defensively and adds a 3 ball.

Then a bench of Tyler Johnson/Okobo or Melton/Warren/Oubre and Holmes would be a fairly solid bench.

Not sure what they should do and I have Culver/Clarke and Morant in the same tier thinking the former two might be the better fit.

They have a tough road ahead but just trying to think of what sorts of options are their best ones to take a step forward since they are almost assuredly not trading Booker.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: How would a Booker/Culver tandem work? 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 am

Culver is more of a wing that can be a secondary handler in some spurts by he's not a combo-guard so Phoenix would still need an actual PG that can facilitate real offense for long stretches which neither Booker or Culver would be able to do IMO.

i am with you on that Morant/Booker isn't necessarily a great fit so best course of action is to take Morant and trade D-Book even though you said that's not a possibility. if I were the Suns' FO I'd approach the Lakers and make work out a trade with them sending Booker to LA and getting the Lakers' first, Ingram and Josh Hart in return but maybe that's not a possibility like you said. Also with the Lakers' first you could probably still land Clarke...Morant/Bridges/Ingram/Clarke/Ayton would be an incredible young core to move forward with and fit together like a glove.

if you guys drop to the 5-7 range, I'd probably target Garland or White before I do Culver or Clarke honestly, even though they're not great fits next to Booker either.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:10 am

Booker is a better facilitator and playmaker than he gets credit for. He consistently drives, caves the defense and finds guys at the 3pt line, and averages near 7 apg...more than a number of high ranked PGs. And the Suns have bad 3 pt shooting so he likely has more potential assists than most where good shots don't fall. Turnovers are a problem but I don't think people realize the strides he made in passing, initiating, making the right play, etc....improvement in court vision. It's not an appealing team to watch due to starting 3 rookies, and Melton who is terrible on offense so it's gone largely unnoticed, so I can understand why many don't see it.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:23 am

bwgood77 wrote:Booker is a better facilitator and playmaker than he gets credit for. He consistently drives, caves the defense and finds guys at the 3pt line, and averages near 7 apg...more than a number of high ranked PGs. And the Suns have bad 3 pt shooting so he likely has more potential assists than most where good shots don't fall. Turnovers are a problem but I don't think people realize the strides he made in passing, initiating, making the right play, etc....improvement in court vision. It's not an appealing team to watch due to starting 3 rookies, and Melton who is terrible on offense so it's gone largely unnoticed, so I can understand why many don't see it.

knowing how to drive+kick isn't the same thing as running an offense though and in general raw assist numbers are not really a great indicator of it either in today's NBA.

ill take your word for it though. you've watched a lot more of Booker than I have but I've just never seen him as a facilitator of offense at any point. maybe he can be a secondary playmaker on a team but he can't be the lead guard, so you're not solving that issue with by drafting Culver.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#5 » by baldur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:54 am

if morant is not on the board, would the phoenix pick garland? or would they go with a pf like brandon clarke or hachimura?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:31 pm

baldur wrote:if morant is not on the board, would the phoenix pick garland? or would they go with a pf like brandon clarke or hachimura?

Who knows? May depend on where their pick is.

They may try and do a pick swap with the Lakers, Grizzlies or Pelicans and send out a players and get back Lonzo, Conley or Jrue and then take Clarke or someone like Grant Williams there to fill in the PF spot and get some defense up front to help Ayton.

Edit: 5/18 - of course those potential pick swaps off the table now.....of course those are the 3 teams that jump after I typed this.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#7 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 pm

I like White/Booker. That's a lot of scoring and shooting. White defensively fights thought screens as well. It could work.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:45 pm

If Suns have a chance at Morant, you take Morant. Every time the Suns have tried rebuilding with defense its failed, the first step of tanking is to get offensive players. Let them lose with offensive players and make them look exciting to entice a big player or let them improve and the next year bring in defensive player that think they could help the team make it to the next level. That’s what the Blazers have done with Lillard and McCollum and I think its worked out pretty well. The problem is how do you push Booker to play defense when they’re losing so much? It’s not very motivating, especially when you have a new coach every year and a coach that has never even been a head coach before. By the way, this is the strategy the Kings, the Nets and the Hawks have done and it seems to be working out for those teams. When you draft for fit or for defense you end up drafting Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson, Tyler Ulis, etc.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:30 pm

doordoor123 wrote:If Suns have a chance at Morant, you take Morant. Every time the Suns have tried rebuilding with defense its failed, the first step of tanking is to get offensive players. Let them lose with offensive players and make them look exciting to entice a big player or let them improve and the next year bring in defensive player that think they could help the team make it to the next level. That’s what the Blazers have done with Lillard and McCollum and I think its worked out pretty well. The problem is how do you push Booker to play defense when they’re losing so much? It’s not very motivating, especially when you have a new coach every year and a coach that has never even been a head coach before. By the way, this is the strategy the Kings, the Nets and the Hawks have done and it seems to be working out for those teams. When you draft for fit or for defense you end up drafting Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson, Tyler Ulis, etc.

Well Morant would be a draft for fit. Culver and Morant are typically in a similar tier...one higher in some places, one in other places.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Just take BPA honestly. I would not build around Booker at all.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:If Suns have a chance at Morant, you take Morant. Every time the Suns have tried rebuilding with defense its failed, the first step of tanking is to get offensive players. Let them lose with offensive players and make them look exciting to entice a big player or let them improve and the next year bring in defensive player that think they could help the team make it to the next level. That’s what the Blazers have done with Lillard and McCollum and I think its worked out pretty well. The problem is how do you push Booker to play defense when they’re losing so much? It’s not very motivating, especially when you have a new coach every year and a coach that has never even been a head coach before. By the way, this is the strategy the Kings, the Nets and the Hawks have done and it seems to be working out for those teams. When you draft for fit or for defense you end up drafting Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson, Tyler Ulis, etc.

Well Morant would be a draft for fit. Culver and Morant are typically in a similar tier...one higher in some places, one in other places.

that’s quite funny you think that they are in a similar tier, but I guess most media platforms are idiots. Morant would be Draft for fit offensively, which is what Im saying, but defensively it’s horrific to team the two up. BUT it shouldn’t matter because Morant is 1b next to only Zion Williamson and you take him anyway.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:Just take BPA honestly. I would not build around Booker at all.

That always feels like a cop out answer to me. Do you feel there is or will be a consensus clear cut big board with one person in each tier on draft night?

Drafts are highly subjective. BPA opinion at anywhere after 1 will probably have a lot of varying opinions. Especially when you get down to 5 or lower. Their highest chance is to draft at #5.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

that’s quite funny you think that they are in a similar tier, but I guess most media platforms are idiots. Morant would be Draft for fit offensively, which is what Im saying, but defensively it’s horrific to team the two up. BUT it shouldn’t matter because Morant is 1b next to only Zion Williamson and you take him anyway.

Wow, 1b and the same tier as Zion. I don't see too many with him that high.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Booker is a better facilitator and playmaker than he gets credit for. He consistently drives, caves the defense and finds guys at the 3pt line, and averages near 7 apg...more than a number of high ranked PGs. And the Suns have bad 3 pt shooting so he likely has more potential assists than most where good shots don't fall. Turnovers are a problem but I don't think people realize the strides he made in passing, initiating, making the right play, etc....improvement in court vision. It's not an appealing team to watch due to starting 3 rookies, and Melton who is terrible on offense so it's gone largely unnoticed, so I can understand why many don't see it.

knowing how to drive+kick isn't the same thing as running an offense though and in general raw assist numbers are not really a great indicator of it either in today's NBA.

ill take your word for it though. you've watched a lot more of Booker than I have but I've just never seen him as a facilitator of offense at any point. maybe he can be a secondary playmaker on a team but he can't be the lead guard, so you're not solving that issue with by drafting Culver.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by facilitating if you don't mean getting other guys going, finding the open shooters, driving and kicking, etc.....he often makes plays like this, for example..

Read on Twitter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Wow, 1b and the same tier as Zion. I don't see too many with him that high.

Personally think Zion is just in a league of his own, but there’s an arguement Morant can translate better and has just as high an upside. Both can be perrenial all-stars.

I personally think after those two there are like 6 or so players in a tier with Jarrett Culver in that group. I also think this draft is super strong in the lottery depending on who teams value in the lottery. Like Jaxson Hayes is considered a lottery pick, but I personally would take over 14 guys over him. Rim runners in general aren’t taken in the lottery and when they are there are usually about two or three better guys drafted in the mid to late first round or the second round.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

That always feels like a cop out answer to me. Do you feel there is or will be a consensus clear cut big board with one person in each tier on draft night?

Drafts are highly subjective. BPA opinion at anywhere after 1 will probably have a lot of varying opinions. Especially when you get down to 5 or lower. Their highest chance is to draft at #5.

I just don't think I'd be too worried about fitting around or building around Booker. Now, you probably don't want to take Hayes because that will create some real problems with Ayton, but you can draft Morant or Culver, whichever one you think is more likely to be a star. I would value that more than fitting with Booker. Culver could play 2 or 3, for example.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:46 am

Unless they can get Zion that they can't pass on, they are taking one of Ja, Garland or White before they take another wing.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:55 am

EvanZ wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I just don't think I'd be too worried about fitting around or building around Booker. Now, you probably don't want to take Hayes because that will create some real problems with Ayton, but you can draft Morant or Culver, whichever one you think is more likely to be a star. I would value that more than fitting with Booker. Culver could play 2 or 3, for example.

So knowing that the Suns will start Booker regardless in the backcourt for the foreseeable future and there is no real chance they will trade him, it would still have no impact? I rate Morant and Culver about equally within the same tier, so it would come down to need.

They both could have a chance of being a star...maybe Morant a bit moreso, but he will also likely be a liability defensively. He is also extremely high usage as is Booker, and Booker isn't going anywhere, so again, even besides defense, I wonder about Ja being off ball a bit.

I do think they probably like Ja more at 2 and if that is where they pick they would likely pick him and of course they have made Booker their max guy and face of franchise so we'd just have to see how good that could work.

I just wondered if knowing Booker is a piece that is going to start for awhile and have high usage, if people thought Culver might be a better fit in the back court next to him than Ja.

Though part of me would almost just want to go Clarke.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:04 am

Stillwater wrote:Unless they can get Zion that they can't pass on, they are taking one of Ja, Garland or White before they take another wing.

Well I certainly hope they'd take Clarke before Garland or White. Maybe even Ja. I like White, but not quite that much. Garland in theory is good, and I know it's a bad draft, but taking a small guard who was injured based on high school play isn't something I do. Heck, in scouting rankings he was 14th overall, behind Ashton Haggans and one spot (with nearly identical score) above Tre Jones.

No way I'd take a guy who sat out as a freshman that high unless he had LeBron like hype. I wonder how high Reddish and Little would be ranked on lists if they had been injured this year. Probably a lot higher than they are right now after seeing them. Of course Garland could be great but it's an enormous gamble.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Unless they can get Zion that they can't pass on, they are taking one of Ja, Garland or White before they take another wing.

Well I certainly hope they'd take Clarke before Garland or White. Maybe even Ja. I like White, but not quite that much. Garland in theory is good, and I know it's a bad draft, but taking a small guard who was injured based on high school play isn't something I do. Heck, in scouting rankings he was 14th overall, behind Ashton Haggans and one spot (with nearly identical score) above Tre Jones.

No way I'd take a guy who sat out as a freshman that high unless he had LeBron like hype. I wonder how high Reddish and Little would be ranked on lists if they had been injured this year. Probably a lot higher than they are right now after seeing them. Of course Garland could be great but it's an enormous gamble.

White is so underrated, so is Garland. The dribble step-back three White is is really good, he creates a lot of space, but his shot starts from his face. It’s just a weird shot, but it goes is and he can get super hot. I’m also just a huge fan of how intelligent he is as a player, he’s also 6’5 and quick with the ball. Also has some of the best defensive footwork in the class. I honestly can’t see him fail, he’s better than Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was last year. I have White as the Donovan Mitchell in this draft, he won’t get drafted till after 10, but he’s going to come in right away and do really well.

Return to NBA Draft