2020 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 8,367
And1: 5,481
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#341 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm

This year's European class appears to be much, much better than last year's. That seems to me to be the big difference between the 2019 draft and this one.
Image
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,393
And1: 39,991
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#342 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm

i was not as impressed watching Theo/Hayes the first go around as most people

i was way more impressed with Sylla (and Maker in '21) than any of the other euro guys tbh
Eskobar13
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 1,286
Joined: Jan 02, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#343 » by Eskobar13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:

Stream for Israel v Ukraine later today.

Avdija now averaging 15.5/8.5/6.5 with 4tov. He's shooting only 3/15 for three which is dragging his numbers down a lot but still looked dominant yesterday against Italy. Really versatile, sometimes just seems like no matter what you do defensively he has a counter for.

I'm not sure this youtube streams work in the US but if they do you can watch replays of the games as well.
Game now on demand for whoever wants to see it.

Avdija had a good game overall again, he really has potential to be a great playmaker plus he rates very well both on O and D in terms of instincts and positioning.

HOWEVER his shooting really seems to be more of a concern than I thought. I saw this tweet and... I mean it's really concerning.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Needs to get in the weight room as well but right now he looks like a top 10 prospect to me.
remi_222
Junior
Posts: 446
And1: 293
Joined: May 09, 2012
Location: Paris
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#344 » by remi_222 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:i was not as impressed watching Theo/Hayes the first go around as most people

i was way more impressed with Sylla (and Maker in '21) than any of the other euro guys tbh


Theo Maledon just won the title win ASVEL (club run by Tony Parker and Nic Batum), but his position is so important that he wont have the keys of the game as much as Kilian Hayes who's gonna be transfered in France (Limoges or Monaco) and will have more time playing.

Im afraid Maledon develops the Ntilikina path : being only and mostly an organized bball player before coming in the NBA and not dev his own game offensively.
One of his best opportunity is that he'll play Euroleague with ASVEL next yr !
Kilian Hayes has the skills offensively already and his next team will offer him the chance to play the Eurocup. He just needs to adjust in term of rythm and not forcing shots.

Def is already a huge quality for both ! But not NBA body ready yet of course
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 22,995
And1: 15,670
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#345 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 am

I'm a massive Avdija fan - got him #2 right now, based on preliminary viewings. That being said, didn't realize he shot so poorly.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,461
And1: 2,949
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#346 » by Fischella » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am

I think Avdija is fine, but 2nd is rich, he is kinda like a toolsier Dario
Eskobar13
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 1,286
Joined: Jan 02, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#347 » by Eskobar13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:38 am

Dario was a much better shooter I think. Avdija seems to have the same issue I had while playing bball, at least from these games I've been watching, which is that while the stroke is far from broken, he has a tough time squaring the ball right in his hands, which makes the shot super inconsistent. Should be fixable for sure.

No games today on Division A but Queta and Portugal will be playing against Slovakia (our first true test) @ 8:30PM GMT (3:30PM ET time).

I have not loved Queta so far on offense as he still seems to let himself be moved around to much and has lacked some explosiveness finishing, but he's been unreal on defense. It's time to see if the value holds up against better competition now for these next games.
User avatar
realEAST
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,014
And1: 988
Joined: Mar 25, 2016
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#348 » by realEAST » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am

From the highlights I've watched so far, and I know it isn't a perfect sample, but Maledon looks good - not necessairly #1 pick good, but has a makings of a good PG with combination of size, athleticism, skill, shooting and even maturity for age.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,393
And1: 39,991
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#349 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:42 pm

realEAST wrote:From the highlights I've watched so far, and I know it isn't a perfect sample, but Maledon looks good - not necessairly #1 pick good, but has a makings of a good PG with combination of size, athleticism, skill, shooting and even maturity for age.


he's good but far from #1, or even top 5 IMO.
User avatar
realEAST
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,014
And1: 988
Joined: Mar 25, 2016
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#350 » by realEAST » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:
realEAST wrote:From the highlights I've watched so far, and I know it isn't a perfect sample, but Maledon looks good - not necessairly #1 pick good, but has a makings of a good PG with combination of size, athleticism, skill, shooting and even maturity for age.


he's good but far from #1, or even top 5 IMO.


It's still too early to properly judge US prospects before they play in college, but I'd certainly put Maledon in top10 at the moment.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,393
And1: 39,991
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#351 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

realEAST wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
realEAST wrote:From the highlights I've watched so far, and I know it isn't a perfect sample, but Maledon looks good - not necessairly #1 pick good, but has a makings of a good PG with combination of size, athleticism, skill, shooting and even maturity for age.


he's good but far from #1, or even top 5 IMO.


It's still too early to properly judge US prospects before they play in college, but I'd certainly put Maledon in top10 at the moment.


definitely early, we'll see.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,393
And1: 39,991
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#352 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Quentin Grimes is a top 5 guy heading into the year for me, along with Lewis and Hampton for sure. and then maybe Sylla, Edwards or Maxey.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,042
And1: 1,426
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#353 » by nolang1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm

nolang1 wrote:Most of the talk in this draft is justifiably about the incoming freshman class, and two more players who have a good shot of joining this class by reclassifying are Sharife Cooper and N'Faly Dante.

Cooper led his team to an undefeated season and was the USA Today NPOY, but by virtue of being a point guard who's just a little over 6 feet his status as a prospect has always lagged behind his on-court impact. He's got the most Chris Paul-like offensive game I've seen from a high school player since CP3, and his worst-case outcome is being a 3+ inches taller version of Tyler Ulis. If Jared Harper stays in the draft Cooper will almost definitely be at Auburn this coming season.

N'Faly Dante is more raw otherwise but is right up there with Wiseman as the best rim protector and lob threat in the class; he's shooting 76% from the field in the EYBL. 6'11" with a 7'5.5" wingspan. Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, and Oregon are the most likely schools for him.


Dante was MVP of the Peach Jam after leading his team to the championship. Think he could make a case for the top 5 if he gets the test score to reclassify.
Coeur
Veteran
Posts: 2,836
And1: 433
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#354 » by Coeur » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:20 am

My 2 picks for 2020 so far

harlon Beverly Miami 6-4 I want to see that he’s an nba pg and I think he’s a beast


Anton Watson: best local player ever talent? It’s Stockton and Adam Morrison so far
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,461
And1: 2,949
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#355 » by Fischella » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:Dario was a much better shooter I think. Avdija seems to have the same issue I had while playing bball, at least from these games I've been watching, which is that while the stroke is far from broken, he has a tough time squaring the ball right in his hands, which makes the shot super inconsistent. Should be fixable for sure.

No games today on Division A but Queta and Portugal will be playing against Slovakia (our first true test) @ 8:30PM GMT (3:30PM ET time).

I have not loved Queta so far on offense as he still seems to let himself be moved around to much and has lacked some explosiveness finishing, but he's been unreal on defense. It's time to see if the value holds up against better competition now for these next games.

Dario couldn't shoot for **** as a prospect and Avdija takes way more difficult attempts and is much more of a gunner, not close really, Deni has some issues as a scorer but he is far better than Saric there
Eskobar13
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 1,286
Joined: Jan 02, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#356 » by Eskobar13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Fischella wrote:
Eskobar13 wrote:Dario was a much better shooter I think. Avdija seems to have the same issue I had while playing bball, at least from these games I've been watching, which is that while the stroke is far from broken, he has a tough time squaring the ball right in his hands, which makes the shot super inconsistent. Should be fixable for sure.

No games today on Division A but Queta and Portugal will be playing against Slovakia (our first true test) @ 8:30PM GMT (3:30PM ET time).

I have not loved Queta so far on offense as he still seems to let himself be moved around to much and has lacked some explosiveness finishing, but he's been unreal on defense. It's time to see if the value holds up against better competition now for these next games.

Dario couldn't shoot for **** as a prospect and Avdija takes way more difficult attempts and is much more of a gunner, not close really, Deni has some issues as a scorer but he is far better than Saric there


I thought he shot really well his last few years before coming over but now I see it was really just one year and small sample.

Still I think the numbers are definitely a concern for Deni and an area of improvement.
Eskobar13
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 1,286
Joined: Jan 02, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#357 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 am



PT game from last night if anyone wants to check it out.

Queta only had 8, 8, 1 and 1 block with 2 TOV (2/4 FT which keeps being an issue) but he absolutely put fear into the minds of Belgian players. Their center who plays for Barcelona B and is considered an euroleague prospect had 0 points and 0 rebounds in only 8 minutes after averaging 15/8 through the previous 3 games.

It's a shame he won't get to play Division A for his youth career because I think he could replicate this impact against the top U20 squads this year. He's now +90 in 89 minutes.

Didn't see Deni yesterday but it was another win for Israel. They play today at 6.30PM (1.30PM ET).


Ps: hope no one feels like I'm clogging this thread, since this are 2020 prospects and I'm not really interested in anything else from the championships, I think this is the best place these posts.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 14,593
And1: 9,463
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#358 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm

First time seeing Avdija, reminds me of Jeremy Lamb
JustMagic
Senior
Posts: 517
And1: 19
Joined: Apr 10, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#359 » by JustMagic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:50 pm

UcanUwill wrote:First time seeing Avdija, reminds me of Jeremy Lamb

Lamb?!
It seems like a weird comparison.

Avdija is 6-9 point-forward with high play-making skills.
JustMagic
Senior
Posts: 517
And1: 19
Joined: Apr 10, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#360 » by JustMagic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:30 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm a massive Avdija fan - got him #2 right now, based on preliminary viewings. That being said, didn't realize he shot so poorly.


Eskobar13 wrote:Dario was a much better shooter I think. Avdija seems to have the same issue I had while playing bball, at least from these games I've been watching, which is that while the stroke is far from broken, he has a tough time squaring the ball right in his hands, which makes the shot super inconsistent. Should be fixable for sure.

No games today on Division A but Queta and Portugal will be playing against Slovakia (our first true test) @ 8:30PM GMT (3:30PM ET time).

I have not loved Queta so far on offense as he still seems to let himself be moved around to much and has lacked some explosiveness finishing, but he's been unreal on defense. It's time to see if the value holds up against better competition now for these next games.


He will be fine as a shooter. His shooting is not a weakness (well... maybe only FT). He's just in a stint right now. maybe it's because only now his body matured and he became much stronger and didn't adjust his shooting yet.

Last summer in the euro U20 event: 40% for 3, on 3.9 shots per game. Same summer in the U18 event: 44% from 3 pt, on 4.5 shot per game.

Return to NBA Draft