Marcos "Didi" Louzada

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,394
And1: 366
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:42 pm

It has been a while for me since I posted on this forum. I recently did a piece on Marcos Didi Louzada, which you guys may find intriguing. I firmly believe that this 19 year old will shoot up the draft charts, and I hope my Grizzlies are smart enough to see the incredible potential.

While yesterday's Mike Conley deal did not net a commensurate return in terms of available young assets (due to protections, the second 1st round pick in this trade will likely convey in 2022), the Jazz did send their #23 pick as part of the deal (or more technically, they will select for the Grizzlies at this spot), which places the rebuilding Grizzlies firmly in a position to pick up some young talent. And, no player is flying further under the radar than Brazil's 19-year old phenom, Marcos 'Didi' Louzada.

This past season, Louzada was arguably the most talented youth in Brazil's domestic league, the NBB. Not a traditional powerhouse, his team - Franca - powered all the way to the final, only to lose to Anderson Varejao's Flamengo squad. And Didi was a pivotal part of this success.

In final's action, Didi did not receive significant minutes for the first half of this series. But, by the fifth and final game, he not only saw significant playing time, but was his team's leading scorer throughout most of the contest. Unfortunately, Didi hyperextended his elbow and was forced to leave part way through the game. Still, his performance in the NBB playoffs highlighted his strengths and weaknesses on both ends of the floor.

Most importantly, Didi Louzada projects as a ballhawk at the next level. He was the most impressive defensive player that I witnessed in the NBB, boasting elite lateral quickness, which places him in rare company in the 2019 draft class. While still somewhat unrefined, Didi Louzada's defensive instincts, activity, vocal approach, and overall tenacity lead me to believe that he can develop into a lockdown wing at the NBA level. When examining film, the most evident thing that jumps out is Louzada's lateral quickness and ability to track his man. All season long, while defending on the perimeter, Didi was glued to his man's hip. He fought hard over the top of screens and regularly shadowed his man, limiting the effectiveness of both rub screens and pin downs. Didi is a willing help defender and regularly switches or leaves his man to defend the ball at the rim. He possesses quick and active hands, getting low in his stance and regularly stripping the ball without fouling.


Rest of the scouting report at:
http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-case-for-didi-louzada-perfect.html
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,013
And1: 5,216
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Good stuff jman. Always a pleasure to see your posts, and please come by more often.
"There's never an armed teacher around when you need one!" - montestewart
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 15,816
And1: 13,920
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#3 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:55 pm

If this is the same Brazilian player I'm thinking of, then there's at least one plugged in reporter (I think Steve Kyler, but not 100% sure) who believes in his talent and sleeper potential. Hopefully he gets a chance to show what he can contribute.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,443
And1: 40,059
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:If this is the same Brazilian player I'm thinking of, then there's at least one plugged in reporter (I think Steve Kyler, but not 100% sure) who believes in his talent and sleeper potential. Hopefully he gets a chance to show what he can contribute.


that's the one
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,394
And1: 366
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:If this is the same Brazilian player I'm thinking of, then there's at least one plugged in reporter (I think Steve Kyler, but not 100% sure) who believes in his talent and sleeper potential. Hopefully he gets a chance to show what he can contribute.


There really is only one major Brazilian prospect in this year's draft. There was one other early entry I can recall (not sure if he withdrew), but he is like 5'10 and doesn't project as a viable draft candidate. Moving forward, most of Brazil's top young prospects are bigs and don't sport the same speed/athleticism package as Didi. All this being said, I am almost positive you are referring to Didi.

Edit: when you watch him on film at length, you notice that he has crazy lateral quickness and really unique hips that allow him to change direction very quickly. With the right development, he will be special.

This potential on the defensive end was evident all finals long, when he was tasked with guarding the bigger Marquinhos. He put up a heck of a fight and Marquinhos could not get a step on him all series. He used his physicality to score at times because he is a savvy veteran, but Didi really shadowed him well. Pair this kid with an NBA strength and conditioning coach and you will have something special. Don't just take my word for it.

Read on Twitter


What you are seeing - notice he completely closes out on the shooter who drives left. He adeptly contests the shot, but is quick enough to recover in the lane and cut his man off.
PELICANSFAN
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 60
Joined: Jan 20, 2002
       

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#6 » by PELICANSFAN » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Pelicans snagged him in round 2. Hope he can develop.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 22,999
And1: 15,671
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#7 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:16 am

PELICANSFAN wrote:Pelicans snagged him in round 2. Hope he can develop.


I didn't think he'd go quite as high in the 2nd round as he did, but definitely thought he should've been drafted. He has a real path to being a solid role player, just needs to prove the shot over a greater sample, but I think it looks pretty good. Defensively isn't going to be a gamechanger due to lack of stocks, but will be really good both on the ball and off. Great instincts, IQ/awareness and ability to stick with guys.
User avatar
pelifan
RealGM
Posts: 14,236
And1: 21,675
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: Small market
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#8 » by pelifan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 pm

jman3134 wrote:There really is only one major Brazilian prospect in this year's draft. There was one other early entry I can recall (not sure if he withdrew), but he is like 5'10 and doesn't project as a viable draft candidate. Moving forward, most of Brazil's top young prospects are bigs and don't sport the same speed/athleticism package as Didi. All this being said, I am almost positive you are referring to Didi.

Edit: when you watch him on film at length, you notice that he has crazy lateral quickness and really unique hips that allow him to change direction very quickly. With the right development, he will be special.

This potential on the defensive end was evident all finals long, when he was tasked with guarding the bigger Marquinhos. He put up a heck of a fight and Marquinhos could not get a step on him all series. He used his physicality to score at times because he is a savvy veteran, but Didi really shadowed him well. Pair this kid with an NBA strength and conditioning coach and you will have something special. Don't just take my word for it.

Read on Twitter


What you are seeing - notice he completely closes out on the shooter who drives left. He adeptly contests the shot, but is quick enough to recover in the lane and cut his man off.


You've got me really excited for him. thank you.
Image
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,394
And1: 366
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:19 pm

Look for him to struggle initially (in summer league) playing through contact with his handle and finishing. He rarely drives into a crowded area, but has not really faced serious pressure D from elite athletes. His handle is good and still developing though. Look for him to hit a bunch of corner threes and hit some cutters. It won't be the flashiest display, but the potential is there.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,343
And1: 7,286
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#10 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:58 am

I feel like if you get a rotation guy in round 2, it’s a homerun. So I hope you’re right, brother!


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,394
And1: 366
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:44 pm

True - I just want to temper expectations this year, given the style of play he is used to and the fact that he's 19. He will probably be more of a passive passer that shows some flashes than a guy who dominates.
User avatar
pelifan
RealGM
Posts: 14,236
And1: 21,675
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: Small market
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#12 » by pelifan » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:50 pm

jman3134 wrote:True - I just want to temper expectations this year, given the style of play he is used to and the fact that he's 19. He will probably be more of a passive passer that shows some flashes than a guy who dominates.


I'd be surprised if he played summer league or made the NBA jump at all, at least for a year.
Image
BlazersBroncos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,728
And1: 1,247
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#13 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:20 pm

He really reminded me of Timothe Luwawu Cabarrot, who I thought was a really nice 3/D prospect coming out. Not saying he has the same trajectory, just that they reminded me of each other as draft prospects.
User avatar
pelifan
RealGM
Posts: 14,236
And1: 21,675
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: Small market
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#14 » by pelifan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:02 am

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 22,999
And1: 15,671
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#15 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:26 am

pelifan wrote:
Read on Twitter


NBL's on a roll this off-season, just picked up 2020 prospect Terry Armstrong as well.

Didi, imo, is the clear backup SG, but the starting PG is also a combo-type, and given I don't think much of their backup PG, I think there'll be plenty of minutes for him to play at the 2. So he should have opportunity.
User avatar
pelifan
RealGM
Posts: 14,236
And1: 21,675
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: Small market
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#16 » by pelifan » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:07 am

jman3134 wrote:Look for him to struggle initially (in summer league) playing through contact with his handle and finishing. He rarely drives into a crowded area, but has not really faced serious pressure D from elite athletes. His handle is good and still developing though. Look for him to hit a bunch of corner threes and hit some cutters. It won't be the flashiest display, but the potential is there.


Very strong first game. Beautiful looking shot, blazing fast, athletic especially defensively and had more handle and strength than I was expecting.
Image
Upperclass
Veteran
Posts: 2,622
And1: 955
Joined: Aug 09, 2005

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#17 » by Upperclass » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:26 am

Bigger Barbosa? He looks like an NBA player right now.. but so did the kid from the 76ers last year.. but I like his game
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 22,999
And1: 15,671
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#18 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:30 am

Such a steal for the Sydney Kings who he's been stashed to this year. Should probably start at SG next to Casper Ware.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,394
And1: 366
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#19 » by jman3134 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:38 am

pelifan wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Look for him to struggle initially (in summer league) playing through contact with his handle and finishing. He rarely drives into a crowded area, but has not really faced serious pressure D from elite athletes. His handle is good and still developing though. Look for him to hit a bunch of corner threes and hit some cutters. It won't be the flashiest display, but the potential is there.


Very strong first game. Beautiful looking shot, blazing fast, athletic especially defensively and had more handle and strength than I was expecting.



Thanks for the love, bud. I have this game recorded and will watch.

That said, do you see why I had an issue with teams talking about stashing him in Europe? While his passing would develop, the spacing wouldn't be the same. I envision him as a solid transition option in the NBA. He is super creative with his finishes, though he struggled through contact. It is hard to learn how to handle and finish at the rim when spacing isn't the same in Europe with no defensive 3 and he would likely be relegated to corner 3's without handling the ball enough. Younger guys seem to always come off the bench in Europe regardless of talent level (see Brandon Jennings before his breakout rookie year in the NBA). Didi is a natural for the NBA game. Best way to develop that is by playing basketball with similar rules.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 22,999
And1: 15,671
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Marcos "Didi" Louzada 

Post#20 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:28 am

jman3134 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Look for him to struggle initially (in summer league) playing through contact with his handle and finishing. He rarely drives into a crowded area, but has not really faced serious pressure D from elite athletes. His handle is good and still developing though. Look for him to hit a bunch of corner threes and hit some cutters. It won't be the flashiest display, but the potential is there.


Very strong first game. Beautiful looking shot, blazing fast, athletic especially defensively and had more handle and strength than I was expecting.



Thanks for the love, bud. I have this game recorded and will watch.

That said, do you see why I had an issue with teams talking about stashing him in Europe? While his passing would develop, the spacing wouldn't be the same. I envision him as a solid transition option in the NBA. He is super creative with his finishes, though he struggled through contact. It is hard to learn how to handle and finish at the rim when spacing isn't the same in Europe with no defensive 3 and he would likely be relegated to corner 3's without handling the ball enough. Younger guys seem to always come off the bench in Europe regardless of talent level (see Brandon Jennings before his breakout rookie year in the NBA). Didi is a natural for the NBA game. Best way to develop that is by playing basketball with similar rules.


He's going to Australia though, the thought being to develop his game and he'll get tutoring to speak english as well. It's a physical league but the pace has picked up a fair bit, I think it should be a good place for him.

He could probably be on an NBA roster now but the Pelicans have Holiday, Hart, NAW, Moore etc. who can all play at the 2, doubt he'd get minutes this year.

Return to NBA Draft