Draft Grades thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

udfa
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 1,686
Joined: Apr 06, 2017

Draft Grades thread 

Post#1 » by udfa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 am

I didn't see a Draft Grades thread here or on the GB. Anyone want to post their draft grades? Either their own team or for all teams?
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,460
And1: 2,949
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#2 » by Fischella » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Atlanta; D
Boston; A
Brooklyn; B+
Charlotte; B+
Chicago; C+
Cleveland; C
Dallas; B+
Denver; B+
Detroit; A
Golden St.; B
Indiana; A
LA; D
LA; B+
Memphis; A
Miami; B
Minnesota; B+
New Orleans; B+
New York; B
Oklahoma City; B
Orlando; B
Philadelphia; B
Phoenix; F
Portland; C
Sacramento; D
San Antonio; C
Toronto; D
Utah; B+
Washington; F
Coeur
Veteran
Posts: 2,834
And1: 433
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#3 » by Coeur » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Fischella wrote:Atlanta; D
Boston; A
Brooklyn; B+
Charlotte; B+
Chicago; C+
Cleveland; C
Dallas; B+
Denver; B+
Detroit; A
Golden St.; B
Indiana; A
LA; D
LA; B+
Memphis; A
Miami; B
Minnesota; B+
New Orleans; B+
New York; B
Oklahoma City; B
Orlando; B
Philadelphia; B
Phoenix; F
Portland; C
Sacramento; D
San Antonio; C
Toronto; D
Utah; B+
Washington; F

The Atlanta/Boston part is what you should explain.


ATL knew who they wanted and made sure they did it.

Boston was thumbs up asses and got bailed out by the carsen edwards pick because he will be so productive.

*** I did forget at first that you think Grant Williams is 7-8th best in this class. Haha

Extra credit: how does Boston get max value out of Jaylen brown with Gordon Hayward and Romeo as their top pick? Is Jaylen brown on his way out or do they just devalue all three this season and let him walk next year?
User avatar
azcatz11
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,731
And1: 6,480
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
Location: Phoenix

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#4 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:03 am

Fischella wrote:Atlanta; D
Boston; A
Brooklyn; B+
Charlotte; B+
Chicago; C+
Cleveland; C
Dallas; B+
Denver; B+
Detroit; A
Golden St.; B
Indiana; A
LA; D
LA; B+
Memphis; A
Miami; B
Minnesota; B+
New Orleans; B+
New York; B
Oklahoma City; B
Orlando; B
Philadelphia; B
Phoenix; F
Portland; C
Sacramento; D
San Antonio; C
Toronto; D
Utah; B+
Washington; F


Well break down all the grades or what's the point
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,215
And1: 2,371
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 am

Fischella wrote:Atlanta; D
Boston; A
Brooklyn; B+
Charlotte; B+
Chicago; C+
Cleveland; C
Dallas; B+
Denver; B+
Detroit; A
Golden St.; B
Indiana; A
LA; D
LA; B+
Memphis; A
Miami; B
Minnesota; B+
New Orleans; B+
New York; B
Oklahoma City; B
Orlando; B
Philadelphia; B
Phoenix; F
Portland; C
Sacramento; D
San Antonio; C
Toronto; D
Utah; B+
Washington; F

wtf how does CLE get a C ?
Garland at 5 and Stealing KPJ at 30 was at least a B+ & adding Windler makes their grade easy A
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,380
And1: 39,971
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Louis King to the Pistons on a 2-way
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,380
And1: 39,971
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Ky Bowman to the Warriors, signed a 1 year deal
Coeur
Veteran
Posts: 2,834
And1: 433
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#8 » by Coeur » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 pm

clyde21 wrote:Louis King to the Pistons on a 2-way

Pistons are an A.

They got a high ceiling st all 3 levels of the draft.
1st- Doumboya: great pick.
2nd- 6-8 19 year old sg/sf
Udfa- Louis King is one of the top udfa’s


3 guys 6-8/6-9 with an eye toward the future. Great small step by the pistons. Now develop them.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,781
And1: 4,542
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#9 » by King Ken » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

I never give any team lower than a B- as this is contingent for the most part:

Atlanta; A+++ Elite level draft. One of the best in Hawks history with 2018. Maybe better. Could be a ATG
Boston; A-
Brooklyn; A Claxton value was elite right here.
Charlotte; A-
Chicago; A I loved the White pick.
Cleveland; A-, A++ by talent of KPJ and Garland but I don't like the risk which is B-. I decided to boost them to A- and I like Windler.
Dallas; A
Denver; A+ Bol's value was elite right here.
Detroit; A
Golden St.; B
Indiana; A-
LAL; A
LAC; A+ Kabs value in the late 1st was elite. Even love Mann's value.
Memphis; A++ Two elite picks for their personnel.
Miami; A
Minnesota; B Just not as high on Culver
New Orleans; A+++ Elite pick in Zion, elite trade with ATL and excellent picks with Hayes and NAW. Best draft in their franchise history and could be a ATG.
New York; A
Oklahoma City; B
Orlando; B
Philadelphia; B+
Phoenix; A-
Portland; A+ Elite value for Little
Sacramento; B- I like James but the value wasn't there.
San Antonio; B
Toronto; B-
Utah; A+ Miye Oni was an elite value at this stage. Wasn't in love with the others.
Washington; A+ I really like Rui and Schofield a lot for what they do. Amazing draft for Tommy Sheppard.

Greatest multiple player drafts ever till 2012. I don't want to cover the best picks as those are just the best players of all time list.
DAL 1983 - Dale Ellis and Derek Harper
CLE 1986 NBA Draft - One of the GOATs - Mark Price, Ron Harper, Brad Daugherty and Johnny Newman. One of the best drafts of all time by one team. 2 All Stars, Ron was dropping 20ppg+ in his prime, and Johnny was a good role player.
CHI 1987 NBA Draft - One of the greatest foundation draft. Pippen and Horace Grant.
LAL 1996 NBA Draft - One of the greatest foundation draft. Kobe and Fisher
CHI 1999 NBA Draft - Great talents in Elton Brand and Ron Artest for the era.
GSW 2001 NBA Draft - Jason Richardson Troy Murphy Gilbert Arenas in a weak draft class is amazing. Arenas had a bout with superstardom. The others were role players but when you had classes between 88-95 that barely had 4 good players as a class, this one was tremendous.
OKC 2007 NBA Draft - Jeff Green and KD. Well, it's kinda cheap, how many teams get two top 5 picks but it was the best player I've ever seen drafted with a superstar. They got the pick trading Ray Allen to Boston.
OKC and SAS 2008 NBA Draft - Probably the greatest haul of all time, these two were considered reaches at the time. Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka. SAS got George Hill and Goran Dragic was just an insane haul considering the lack of mid 2nd round quality in this class.
SAC 2010 NBA Draft - This high risk, high reward class did just that. Boogie Cousins and Whiteside were high risk and flamed out of SAC but they had good careers.
CLE 2011 NBA Draft - Once again, another two top 5 picks, but Tristian Thompson and Kyrie Irving is the 2nd great 1st overall pick hauls since the 1980s.
DET 2012 NBA Draft - Teams dream they can land two All Stars in a draft and DET did it with Khris Middleton and Andre Drummond. Sadly, they traded Middleton is who the better of the two before developing him but they get the credit for drafting him.

Teams to look at out for:
DEN 2014
PHI 2014
MIN 2014
MIA 2015
LAL 2017
ATL 2018
DEN 2018
NYK 2018
PHX 2018
ATL 2019
NOH 2019
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,264
And1: 1,228
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Don't understand why people are giving GS a B. Poole was a huge reach. They passed on KPJ, Bruno, and Claxton, all better prospects. Hell I'll throw in Carsen Edwards as a better prospect and I'm not even a fan. Then they took Paschall with THT and Iggy still on the board. Smailagic at 39 is fine, but I mean it's possible he goes undrafted. They were bidding against themselves on him. For me Warriors get a D.
Catapolt.co
Make polls great again.
RodyTur10
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 25
Joined: Oct 23, 2017
 

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#11 » by RodyTur10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Atlanta; C (Hunter, Reddish, Fernando, good draft for fit, but at #4 and #10 better players were available)
Boston; D+ (Williams and Edwards fine picks, picking Langford at #14 for high upside over positional need very questionable)
Brooklyn; C (Claxton seems a very reasonable pick at #31)
Charlotte; F (PJ Washington at #12, I see another marginal talent for this poor run franchise)
Chicago; B- (White at #7 and Gafford at #38, ok picks, not so sure about White as others though)
Cleveland; A+ (3 potential home-runs with #5 Garland, #26 Windler and #30 Porter Jr., fantastic job)
Dallas; C (good second round pick with #45 Roby)
Denver; A (buying #44 Bol is a low risk - high reward gamble, certainly worth it)
Detroit; D- (I don't have huge faith in the skills of #15 Doumbouya)
Golden State; D- (a lot of drafts GSW got good value with late picks, don't see much in #28 Poole, #39 Smailagic and #41 Paschall)
Indiana; A (despite Sabonis+Turner, they drafted #18 Bitadze, good call i.m.o. could very well be the best center in the draft)
LA Clippers; B- (#27 Kabengele, nothing glamorous, but a likely rotation player is good value at that spot)
LA Lakers; B (surprising that #46 Horton-Tucker was available so late in the draft)
Memphis; B+ (excellent picks with #2 Morant and #21 Clarke, seemed obvious though)
Miami; C (Herro at #13 is a little higher than I would have picked him, #32 Okpala I don't expect much from)
Minnesota; D (don't see #6 Culver as a good pick (bad fit, not a good shooter), from reports leaked they wanted a PG)
New Orleans; C+ (Zion is amazing, but you don't get a lot of credits for that, #17 NAW is fine, but I believe #8 Hayes will be a bust)
New York; A- (#3 Barrett brings hope, but #47 Brazdeikis can be a sneaky good pick as well)
Oklahoma City; B+ (hard to judge #23 Bazley, but could be a steal like Robinson last year)
Orlando; D (I like the game of #16 Okeke, but how does he come back from his injury?)
Philadelphia; B- (didn't take trades in account, top defender #20 Thybulle (potential 3-point-shot) will be a good fit for the Sixers)
Phoenix; D+ (#11 Cam Johnson and #24 Jerome, not someone with big potential, not a solution for them I think)
Portland; A+ (#25 Little, I thought he'd be a steal at his projected spot 9-12, Trailblazers must have felt like being in heaven)
Sacramento; D (#46 James, don't expect anything from him)
San Antonio; C+ (#19 Samanic and #29 Keldon Johnson, good projects, sure they'll do fine under Spurs development coaching)
Toronto; D (no picks)
Utah; D (no picks)
Washington; F (worst for last I guess, #9 Hachimura will be a major bust, #46 Schofield could turn out to be the better player)
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,781
And1: 4,542
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#12 » by King Ken » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:Atlanta; C (Hunter, Reddish, Fernando, good draft for fit, but at #4 and #10 better players were available)

There was no one better on our board at #4 and #10. Not even close. We got two of the top 5 best players in this draft for us and one of the top 3 centers for us. (Hayes/Goga/Bruno) were our top guys at the 5.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,781
And1: 4,542
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#13 » by King Ken » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 pm

EvanZ wrote:Don't understand why people are giving GS a B. Poole was a huge reach. They passed on KPJ, Bruno, and Claxton, all better prospects. Hell I'll throw in Carsen Edwards as a better prospect and I'm not even a fan. Then they took Paschall with THT and Iggy still on the board. Smailagic at 39 is fine, but I mean it's possible he goes undrafted. They were bidding against themselves on him. For me Warriors get a D.

I liked Paschall a lot for them, did not like Poole as high as he went and they paid a heavy price for Alec which I really am not aware of like that but I really liked Paschall. Since B- is the lowest I give, B is just fine.
RodyTur10
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 25
Joined: Oct 23, 2017
 

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#14 » by RodyTur10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm

King Ken wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:Atlanta; C (Hunter, Reddish, Fernando, good draft for fit, but at #4 and #10 better players were available)

There was no one better on our board at #4 and #10. Not even close. We got two of the top 5 best players in this draft for us and one of the top 3 centers for us. (Hayes/Goga/Bruno) were our top guys at the 5.


Bruno Fernando was a great pick, but I don't think that Cam Reddish will make it in the NBA past his rookie contract. Hunter at #4 is more based on fit than talent, I had him ranked as a future role player pre-draft. A bit harsh perhaps.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 37,999
And1: 5,208
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 pm

I think Phoenix and San Antonio showed their true colors with SA getting better players at 19 and 29 than Phoenix got at 11 and 24.

If you include the trade, New Orleans' draft was an all-time game-changer. They became must-see tv - for at least the next 4 years.
"There's never an armed teacher around when you need one!" - montestewart
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,781
And1: 4,542
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#16 » by King Ken » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:Atlanta; C (Hunter, Reddish, Fernando, good draft for fit, but at #4 and #10 better players were available)

There was no one better on our board at #4 and #10. Not even close. We got two of the top 5 best players in this draft for us and one of the top 3 centers for us. (Hayes/Goga/Bruno) were our top guys at the 5.


Bruno Fernando was a great pick, but I don't think that Cam Reddish will make it in the NBA past his rookie contract. Hunter at #4 is more based on fit than talent, I had him ranked as a future role player pre-draft. A bit harsh perhaps.

Not really, I just see Reddish as a future superstar in our system. He was #3 on my big board for the Hawks behind.Zion and R.J. I am very aware some see him as a bust. I don't, at least for us I do not see it.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,460
And1: 2,949
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#17 » by Fischella » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think Phoenix and San Antonio showed their true colors with SA getting better players at 19 and 29 than Phoenix got at 11 and 24.

If you include the trade, New Orleans' draft was an all-time game-changer. They became must-see tv - for at least the next 4 years.

I don't really think this is true at all, Cam Johnson over Samanic for me, even if only slightly (when you add Saric to it, it's obviously even clearer) and Ty Jerome even though I didn't have him as a 1st rounder is clearly better than Keldon, who was the worst 1st round pick this year by a mile
GameBredAPBT
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 1,369
Joined: Dec 09, 2017

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#18 » by GameBredAPBT » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 am

Bro ATL & NOLA obviously had the best drafts bro. Bro arguing otherwise is silly, both teams made out like bandits & are set for the next five years at LEAST. Bro. Bro ATL could potentially be the next “dynasty” out East, so much young talent on that team brah.

Bro let’s get real here, Chicago SLAYED their draft bro, White is a superior prospect to both Garland & Morant IMO, and bro Gafford at 38 was the steal of the draft bro. Bro Chicago is now the youngest & arguably the most athletic team in basketball bro. Bro people are gonna be surprised by Wendell Carter & Chandler Hutchison this year bro.

Bro honourable mentions to both Detroit & Portland.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,781
And1: 4,542
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#19 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:35 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:Bro ATL & NOLA obviously had the best drafts bro. Bro arguing otherwise is silly, both teams made out like bandits & are set for the next five years at LEAST. Bro. Bro ATL could potentially be the next “dynasty” out East, so much young talent on that team brah.

Bro let’s get real here, Chicago SLAYED their draft bro, White is a superior prospect to both Garland & Morant IMO, and bro Gafford at 38 was the steal of the draft bro. Bro Chicago is now the youngest & arguably the most athletic team in basketball bro. Bro people are gonna be surprised by Wendell Carter & Chandler Hutchison this year bro.

Bro honourable mentions to both Detroit & Portland.

100%
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 37,999
And1: 5,208
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 am

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think Phoenix and San Antonio showed their true colors with SA getting better players at 19 and 29 than Phoenix got at 11 and 24.

If you include the trade, New Orleans' draft was an all-time game-changer. They became must-see tv - for at least the next 4 years.

I don't really think this is true at all, Cam Johnson over Samanic for me, even if only slightly (when you add Saric to it, it's obviously even clearer) and Ty Jerome even though I didn't have him as a 1st rounder is clearly better than Keldon, who was the worst 1st round pick this year by a mile

Well, as usual we completely disagree.
"There's never an armed teacher around when you need one!" - montestewart

Return to NBA Draft