Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

oldshoolballer
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 79
Joined: Nov 24, 2018

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#61 » by oldshoolballer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:30 am

Kalela wrote:My vote goes to Coby White. I wasn't impressed with him in SL. I don't really believe he will become a bust but he won't be a good player either.
Stillwater wrote:



I didn't think I would ever hear a Jayo Felony song (and this song in particular) in a Youtube basketball highlights video in 2019. :)
Way to early but Coby looked bad in SL on the opposite side Carsen Edwards looks like the steal of the draft
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#62 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:39 pm

^ looking bad in SL when you are a combo guard is pretty much expected.
Edwards is more proven I agree but is not the better long term prospect at all.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: 1) anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film

Okay, watching this, I don't see him finishing dunks he created over or through people, I don't see him having the sort of airwalking hops a lot of elite prospects have that let them glide past guys to finish. What I see is a relatively quick guard who can turn the corner and get to a dunk if he catches the D sleeping, which is awesome. But that's not the type of thing that's going to be a big asset for a small guy creating for himself against a focused defense (all of whom are bigger than him).

The part of his athleticism that gets me most interested is when he can drive, stop on a dime, and change direction to pass or finish. He has great and very quick body control and that'll help him from day one.

I'm the furthest thing from a Ja hater, but I just don't see the hops being a big asset for him in NBA games, seems like it'll be more of a secondary thing for particular situations (transition or cuts, primarily, not half court and not things he's creating for himself). His quickness and quick mind seems like it's 25 times more important for his story as a prospect, that's what gives him a chance to be really good at the next level.

you must be high
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
gorz
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 213
Joined: Apr 03, 2018

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#64 » by gorz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:01 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: 1) anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film

Okay, watching this, I don't see him finishing dunks he created over or through people, I don't see him having the sort of airwalking hops a lot of elite prospects have that let them glide past guys to finish. What I see is a relatively quick guard who can turn the corner and get to a dunk if he catches the D sleeping, which is awesome. But that's not the type of thing that's going to be a big asset for a small guy creating for himself against a focused defense (all of whom are bigger than him).

The part of his athleticism that gets me most interested is when he can drive, stop on a dime, and change direction to pass or finish. He has great and very quick body control and that'll help him from day one.

I'm the furthest thing from a Ja hater, but I just don't see the hops being a big asset for him in NBA games, seems like it'll be more of a secondary thing for particular situations (transition or cuts, primarily, not half court and not things he's creating for himself). His quickness and quick mind seems like it's 25 times more important for his story as a prospect, that's what gives him a chance to be really good at the next level.




Agreed..I don't see him finishing in traffic. Lou Williams was super athletic coming out of high school never seen him replicate dunks in the league. Brandon Jennings same story. ITs not so much athelticism but his frail frame.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#65 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:36 pm

gorz wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: 1) anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film

Okay, watching this, I don't see him finishing dunks he created over or through people, I don't see him having the sort of airwalking hops a lot of elite prospects have that let them glide past guys to finish. What I see is a relatively quick guard who can turn the corner and get to a dunk if he catches the D sleeping, which is awesome. But that's not the type of thing that's going to be a big asset for a small guy creating for himself against a focused defense (all of whom are bigger than him).

The part of his athleticism that gets me most interested is when he can drive, stop on a dime, and change direction to pass or finish. He has great and very quick body control and that'll help him from day one.

I'm the furthest thing from a Ja hater, but I just don't see the hops being a big asset for him in NBA games, seems like it'll be more of a secondary thing for particular situations (transition or cuts, primarily, not half court and not things he's creating for himself). His quickness and quick mind seems like it's 25 times more important for his story as a prospect, that's what gives him a chance to be really good at the next level.




Agreed..I don't see him finishing in traffic. Lou Williams was super athletic coming out of high school never seen him replicate dunks in the league. Brandon Jennings same story. ITs not so much athelticism but his frail frame.

maybe if concerns about injury have griz trying to put governor on him early in his career sure you wont see it as often but the reasoning is bad.. to suggest he has a "weak" frame is add odd statement and anything but real. skinny yep , wired up strong big time. wait until he adds 15 more lbs of high twitch abd he'll be posterizing Gobert.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Village Idiot
Head Coach
Posts: 7,441
And1: 744
Joined: Jan 23, 2005
Location: location, location
     

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#66 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Fischella wrote:bust in relation to either draft range or expectations

Ja Morant, not expecting him to be bad, but just adequate/solid starter and not the star people are hoping for
Darius Garland, same as with Ja kinda
De'Andre Hunter, solid player but not worth the selection and esp not what the Hawks gave up for him
Rui Hachimura, Cam Reddish, they could be NBA players for a while but just totally meh
Nas Little, gonna be out of the league quick, mid 20s is too low to be a bust though
I share your assessment of this draft. It wasn't a very good one. Literally every single guy in the lottery has a lot of question marks.

LIttle actually got drafted into an ideal situation for him. Stotts and his staff have done a great job of developing players. Allen Crabbe was picked 40th and developed into a guy making $18.5 million a year. Layman drafted mid 2nd rounder and got a second contract with Minnesota. Collins has become a rotation player and supplanted Aminu in the playoffs making him expendable. You can't ask for better leaders and mentors than Lillard, McCollum, Bazemore and Tolliver. It entirely possible Little fails but he has the tools and the perfect environment into which he can thrive.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#67 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Fischella wrote:bust in relation to either draft range or expectations

Ja Morant, not expecting him to be bad, but just adequate/solid starter and not the star people are hoping for
Darius Garland, same as with Ja kinda
De'Andre Hunter, solid player but not worth the selection and esp not what the Hawks gave up for him
Rui Hachimura, Cam Reddish, they could be NBA players for a while but just totally meh
Nas Little, gonna be out of the league quick, mid 20s is too low to be a bust though
I share your assessment of this draft. It wasn't a very good one. Literally every single guy in the lottery has a lot of question marks.

LIttle actually got drafted into an ideal situation for him. Stotts and his staff have done a great job of developing players. Allen Crabbe was picked 40th and developed into a guy making $18.5 million a year. Layman drafted mid 2nd rounder and got a second contract with Minnesota. Collins has become a rotation player and supplanted Aminu in the playoffs making him expendable. You can't ask for better leaders and mentors than Lillard, McCollum, Bazemore and Tolliver. It entirely possible Little fails but he has the tools and the perfect environment into which he can thrive.

Portland has done well in picking highly motivated prospects and one's with chips on their shoulder making their "development" easier.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,913
And1: 4,616
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#68 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 am

Prime Jeff Teague and Kevin Johnson proved that skinny explosive guys translate in terms of athleticism
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,482
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#69 » by Fischella » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am

Jeff Teague is **** jacked man, he is like 2 inches shorter than Morant and 20-25lbs heavier
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,913
And1: 4,616
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#70 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Fischella wrote:Jeff Teague is **** jacked man, he is like 2 inches shorter than Morant and 20-25lbs heavier

At the combine, same weight
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,482
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#71 » by Fischella » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Again, two inches shorter and Morant is clearly wider, look at the shoulders
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,364
And1: 1,469
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#72 » by mattg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:Right, his court vision and BBiq at the same age is the best we have seen since Lebron James.
anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film https://youtu.be/F14xI3DzDbE

Lol this is so hyperbolic. You obviously weren’t closely following prospects when Ricky Rubio was coming up. Clear cut step above morant in terms of not only vision, but also technical passing ability. As the age of a HS senior he was doing things more impressive than Morant did last year against the stacked US team in the Olympics.

It’s fine to love Morant as a prospect (though I disagree personally), but you make yourself look absolutely foolish talking like this.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 am

mattg wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Right, his court vision and BBiq at the same age is the best we have seen since Lebron James.
anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film https://youtu.be/F14xI3DzDbE

Lol this is so hyperbolic. You obviously weren’t closely following prospects when Ricky Rubio was coming up. Clear cut step above morant in terms of not only vision, but also technical passing ability. As the age of a HS senior he was doing things more impressive than Morant did last year against the stacked US team in the Olympics.

It’s fine to love Morant as a prospect (though I disagree personally), but you make yourself look absolutely foolish talking like this.

Foolish is comparing Morant to Rubio who doesn't have anything else to his game besides his elite court vision...
The point was missed as usual by the homers of specialists.
I will concede the wording I used could be cherry picked as you are doing using examples of players like Rubio.
However when taken in context the point is no other prospect since Lebron has had as much above the rim game while also possessing elite court vision. Morant is special and you will be eating twice baked crow as the years go by
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,482
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#74 » by Fischella » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:14 am

Ricky is a pretty dope athlete and has great size, he has lost some burst and was never on Ja's level but let's not act like we are talking about Tyus Jones here, Ricky is 6-4, with great length, size and during his prime physically, he was a athletic

Has had a ton of injuries
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,627
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:41 am

Fischella wrote:Ricky is a pretty dope athlete and has great size, he has lost some burst and was never on Ja's level but let's not act like we are talking about Tyus Jones here, Ricky is 6-4, with great length, size and during his prime physically, he was a athletic

Has had a ton of injuries

pretty dope athlete?
ok buddy
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,193
And1: 1,970
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#76 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:
Kalela wrote:My vote goes to Coby White. I wasn't impressed with him in SL. I don't really believe he will become a bust but he won't be a good player either.
Stillwater wrote:



I didn't think I would ever hear a Jayo Felony song (and this song in particular) in a Youtube basketball highlights video in 2019. :)
Way to early but Coby looked bad in SL on the opposite side Carsen Edwards looks like the steal of the draft



Edward's had a pretty good following. It's not like he was a secret. I'm actually surprised he slid as far as he did. I wouldve sworn hed go in the mid to late 20s.
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,193
And1: 1,970
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#77 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: 1) anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film

Okay, watching this, I don't see him finishing dunks he created over or through people, I don't see him having the sort of airwalking hops a lot of elite prospects have that let them glide past guys to finish. What I see is a relatively quick guard who can turn the corner and get to a dunk if he catches the D sleeping, which is awesome. But that's not the type of thing that's going to be a big asset for a small guy creating for himself against a focused defense (all of whom are bigger than him).

The part of his athleticism that gets me most interested is when he can drive, stop on a dime, and change direction to pass or finish. He has great and very quick body control and that'll help him from day one.

I'm the furthest thing from a Ja hater, but I just don't see the hops being a big asset for him in NBA games, seems like it'll be more of a secondary thing for particular situations (transition or cuts, primarily, not half court and not things he's creating for himself). His quickness and quick mind seems like it's 25 times more important for his story as a prospect, that's what gives him a chance to be really good at the next level.

you must be high


I dont see what he must be high on, that was a pretty accurate analysis. In your best case scenario hes about as athletic as Iverson all around and that's probably generous. Iverson could get up but even being an offensive player at the NBA level he was throwing up floaters, shots off glass, fall aways. I think Morant has shown more vision than he had so as the guys said his rise up ability should take a back seat towards his skill.

You yourself made it seem like he was the most balanced player you've even seen since Lebron. Why would he risk relying on his athleticism unless he were a fool. Skilled players spend more time on thier skill and use thier athleticism sparingly and efficiently.

Dennis Smith Jr needs to over utilize his athleticism. Morant doesnt, and that's assuming what we saw applies outside of a mid major conference.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,785
And1: 41,937
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#78 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:17 pm

i don't know if I see any outright busts in the lotto tbh

Zion - no, stud
Morant - will disappoint a bit, but still starting level
RJ - will be good/productive, will always have questions regarding his efficiency
Hunter - no, solid 3+D, possibly more
Garland - no, stud
Culver - will disappoint a bit but possibly still starting level player
Coby - good combo guard rotational guy
Hayes - no, stud
Rui - will disappoint a bit but can still be a useful guy
Cam - 3+d guy should be his baseline
Johnson - massive reach but can still be a good shooter, probably highest likelihood of busting
PJ - no, stud
Herro - no, stud
Romeo - possible disappointment here
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,628
And1: 8,005
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#79 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Hayes could easily be a Javale McGee . He has no idea where to be defensively and we can’t assume he develops the physicality that will be required for his game to project.

As for the rest of the class , I think pretty much everyone else are relatively high IQ players who know how to play basketball and will work hard enough to be solid NBA contributors. Just not a lot of dynamic athletes in that group, which usually limits your ceiling below superstar level
GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 7,885
And1: 6,108
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#80 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Cam easily


I wouldn't call Cam a bust, you can't be a bust at #10.

Its more like if you are selected top 5 and you are not even a starter or playing in China only after a few years, that is a bust.


I think for Cam to be a bust he'd have to play pretty bad nba defence, shoot like 25% from three, high turnovers, not much inside scoring. Something like that. Not even close to nba rotational level...I think that would qualify him as a bust, maybe even a huge bust. He's still in the top10, sometimes there's not a huge difference in expectation between slot 5 and slot 10 in a draft, and in fact 10 might be ranked higher by most scouts etc.
Give Alabi the rock and let him beast!

Image

Stop comparing the combined posters of an internet message board to someone with a mental illness!

Return to NBA Draft