Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#261 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:Coby last 3 games

33 pts
33 pts
35 pts

his stop-and-go and shot making ability is special

He really is a young Gilbert Arenas like potentially. I am not sure Chicago is the right team for him but he will be a bucket bucket in this league.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,295
And1: 49,057
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#262 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:08 am

so how the hell did Naz Reid go undrafted again?
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,835
And1: 9,595
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#263 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:04 am

clyde21 wrote:so how the hell did Naz Reid go undrafted again?


he had a pretty poor combine iirc
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,295
And1: 49,057
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#264 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:41 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:so how the hell did Naz Reid go undrafted again?


he had a pretty poor combine iirc


paralysis by overanalysis...Naz is sneaky athletic, super light footed for his size despite with the numbers at the combine said, can stretch from the 5 hole and even has a passable handle...i didn't have him as a first rounder but how did a guy like Vanja Marinkovic get drafted over him in the 2nd?
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#265 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:so how the hell did Naz Reid go undrafted again?


he had a pretty poor combine iirc


paralysis by overanalysis...Naz is sneaky athletic, super light footed for his size despite with the numbers at the combine said, can stretch from the 5 hole and even has a passable handle...i didn't have him as a first rounder but how did a guy like Vanja Marinkovic get drafted over him in the 2nd?

It was stated here that he like Terrace Davis turned teams down to be drafted so he could be a FA
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,146
And1: 5,050
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#266 » by Catchall » Wed Apr 8, 2020 2:02 am

clyde21 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:so how the hell did Naz Reid go undrafted again?


he had a pretty poor combine iirc


paralysis by overanalysis...Naz is sneaky athletic, super light footed for his size despite with the numbers at the combine said, can stretch from the 5 hole and even has a passable handle...i didn't have him as a first rounder but how did a guy like Vanja Marinkovic get drafted over him in the 2nd?


He had a reputation for being a bit lazy and out of shape during he pre-draft process. He didn't play with a consistent motor.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#267 » by King Ken » Fri May 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Upped
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,295
And1: 49,057
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#268 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 am

not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:

1. New Orleans: Zion Williamson
2. Memphis: Ja Morant
3. New York: Coby White
4. Atlanta: R.J. Barrett
5. Cleveland: Tyler Herro
6. Minnesota: Brandon Clarke
7. Chicago: Cameron Reddish
8. New Orleans: Jaxson Hayes
9. Washington: P.J. Washington
10. Atlanta: Kevin Porter Jr.
11. Phoenix: Nickeil Alexander-Walker
12. Charlotte: De'Andre Hunter
13. Miami: Matisse Thybulle
14. Boston: Goga Bitadze
15. Detroit: Sekou Doumbouya
16. Orlando: Rui Hachimura
17. New Orleans: Darius Garland
18. Indiana: Chuma Okeke
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#269 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:04 am

clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:

1. New Orleans: Zion Williamson
2. Memphis: Ja Morant
3. New York: Coby White
4. Atlanta: Cameron Reddish
5. Cleveland: R.J. Barrett
6. Minnesota: Brandon Clarke
7. Chicago: Tyler Herro
8. New Orleans: Jaxson Hayes
9. Washington: P.J. Washington
10. Atlanta: De'Andre Hunter
11. Phoenix: Nickeil Alexander-Walker
12. Charlotte: Kevin Porter Jr.
13. Miami: Matisse Thybulle
14. Boston: Goga Bitadze
15. Detroit: Sekou Doumbouya
16. Orlando: Rui Hachimura
17. New Orleans: Darius Garland
18. Indiana: Chuma Okeke

I don't think Atlanta would change a thing other than the order of Reddish and Hunter. We've been happy with both players.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 498
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#270 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 am

Terence Davis (Raptors) would be a Lottery pick in a draft do over. Kevin Porter Jr (Cavs) too.

Just like a lot of teams regret passing on Kevin Porter Jr in 2019 they will regret passing on Jaden McDaniels in 2020 if he falls out of the Lottery. Those Seattle area ballers don't mess around, they got lots of heart plus talent and are hungry. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Image
Image
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,564
And1: 3,179
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#271 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:

1. New Orleans: Zion Williamson
2. Memphis: Ja Morant
3. New York: Coby White
4. Atlanta: R.J. Barrett
5. Cleveland: Tyler Herro
6. Minnesota: Brandon Clarke
7. Chicago: Cameron Reddish
8. New Orleans: Jaxson Hayes
9. Washington: P.J. Washington
10. Atlanta: Kevin Porter Jr.
11. Phoenix: Nickeil Alexander-Walker
12. Charlotte: De'Andre Hunter
13. Miami: Matisse Thybulle
14. Boston: Goga Bitadze
15. Detroit: Sekou Doumbouya
16. Orlando: Rui Hachimura
17. New Orleans: Darius Garland
18. Indiana: Chuma Okeke

CLE might have taken KPJ at 5 knowing what they got at 30 in retrospect
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,776
And1: 4,474
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#272 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:
I don't think Atlanta would change a thing other than the order of Reddish and Hunter. We've been happy with both players.
Yeah, but if you had taken other players on that list you would also be happy with them, right? Natural to be high on your own guys after a promising rook year.

Clyde, do you think your list is a little too slanted to people who got minutes and had quick success? The whole point of scouting prospects is to find the ones with the highest upside and/or best chance of achieving it, and that doesn't unfold within a half season for most players. I never liked Garland as a top pick but is everyone really convinced he won't be better than KPJ or PJ Washington, because both of them filled roles pretty well at various times this year? Is Brandon Clarke really the 6th best prospect now, because his team had both minutes for him and space for the exact thing he's good at right away? (And because, being almost 24 years old, he's already physically and mentally mature-ish). Is everyone forgetting some hesitations about Herro because he shot on the better end of how like most expected?

I haven't seen enough of everyone to know if that's the case or if those guys genuinely showed new long-term promise that others didn't. I just remember a lot of lists like this that had guys like Al Thornton or Sean May or John Henson after the 1st year.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#273 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:
I don't think Atlanta would change a thing other than the order of Reddish and Hunter. We've been happy with both players.
Yeah, but if you had taken other players on that list you would also be happy with them, right?

Possibly but I doubt it. Maybe Barrett over Hunter but the fit isn't there with Barrett. We needed wings. We got the best fits for what we do.

I usually hate our guys most years. Recently, we have been much much much better
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,295
And1: 49,057
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#274 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:48 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:
I don't think Atlanta would change a thing other than the order of Reddish and Hunter. We've been happy with both players.
Yeah, but if you had taken other players on that list you would also be happy with them, right? Natural to be high on your own guys after a promising rook year.

Clyde, do you think your list is a little too slanted to people who got minutes and had quick success? The whole point of scouting prospects is to find the ones with the highest upside and/or best chance of achieving it, and that doesn't unfold within a half season for most players. I never liked Garland as a top pick but is everyone really convinced he won't be better than KPJ or PJ Washington, because both of them filled roles pretty well at various times this year? Is Brandon Clarke really the 6th best prospect now, because his team had both minutes for him and space for the exact thing he's good at right away? (And because, being almost 24 years old, he's already physically and mentally mature-ish). Is everyone forgetting some hesitations about Herro because he shot on the better end of how like most expected?

I haven't seen enough of everyone to know if that's the case or if those guys genuinely showed new long-term promise that others didn't. I just remember a lot of lists like this that had guys like Al Thornton or Sean May or John Henson after the 1st year.


this is is just what I think teams would do today but I personally would still take Garland top5 or 7
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,564
And1: 3,179
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#275 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:
I don't think Atlanta would change a thing other than the order of Reddish and Hunter. We've been happy with both players.
Yeah, but if you had taken other players on that list you would also be happy with them, right? Natural to be high on your own guys after a promising rook year.

Clyde, do you think your list is a little too slanted to people who got minutes and had quick success? The whole point of scouting prospects is to find the ones with the highest upside and/or best chance of achieving it, and that doesn't unfold within a half season for most players. I never liked Garland as a top pick but is everyone really convinced he won't be better than KPJ or PJ Washington, because both of them filled roles pretty well at various times this year? Is Brandon Clarke really the 6th best prospect now, because his team had both minutes for him and space for the exact thing he's good at right away? (And because, being almost 24 years old, he's already physically and mentally mature-ish). Is everyone forgetting some hesitations about Herro because he shot on the better end of how like most expected?

I haven't seen enough of everyone to know if that's the case or if those guys genuinely showed new long-term promise that others didn't. I just remember a lot of lists like this that had guys like Al Thornton or Sean May or John Henson after the 1st year.

Doubt there is any chance in Hell CLE would have taken Garland at 5 still after his rookie year. Part of it was Beilein who was the catalyst for why they took him over White . If they really wanted him they would trade down to the 9-12 range if the draft were today and still potentially be overpicking him. He has some high iq qualities but is a **** defender and probably always will be. Meniscus tears are looked at as nothing these days, but they do pose some potential reinjury risks enough to devalue anyone that has had it. esp when their lateral movements are not great post injury.Early in the predraft process I remember thinking I hope the Cavs steer clear of this kid... just my luck.
I think given his shooting failed him as well, if he picks that up and gets his shot back he will be in the league awhile as a back up. If not hes a bust and that will be evident withing a couple weeks of the next season. If he isn't healed by now I would not bet on any substantial success.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,776
And1: 4,474
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#276 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:05 pm

Stillwater wrote: Doubt there is any chance in Hell CLE would have taken Garland at 5 still after his rookie year. Part of it was Beilein who was the catalyst for why they took him over White . If they really wanted him they would trade down to the 9-12 range if the draft were today and still potentially be overpicking him. He has some high iq qualities but is a **** defender and probably always will be. Meniscus tears are looked at as nothing these days, but they do pose some potential reinjury risks enough to devalue anyone that has had it. esp when their lateral movements are not great post injury.Early in the predraft process I remember thinking I hope the Cavs steer clear of this kid... just my luck.
I think given his shooting failed him as well, if he picks that up and gets his shot back he will be in the league awhile as a back up. If not hes a bust and that will be evident withing a couple weeks of the next season. If he isn't healed by now I would not bet on any substantial success.

This is sort of what I was talking about. He was a 19 year-old coming off injury, so I don't think anyone should've been counting on him lighting the world on fire. The case for him was largely about having sweet handles and a slick shot off the dribble, plus some good agility an BBIQ. None of those things seems like it went out the window last year: the handles looked fine and he was able to create shots for himself, the shot didn't fall that much but the mechanics are good and the numbers were fine for a young rook (36% from 3 on significant volume), he seemed to move well with the ball in his hands, etc. So either he was outrageously overrated as a prospect or he still has plenty of room to develop his game.

I didn't think he was a great prospect but see why he was taken top-10, seems like he just needs to develop a nice floater and hone his quick judgment skills to be a solid player, two things that are part of normal development cycles (not saying he will develop them but they're things that people who develop well routinely acquire).
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,564
And1: 3,179
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#277 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: Doubt there is any chance in Hell CLE would have taken Garland at 5 still after his rookie year. Part of it was Beilein who was the catalyst for why they took him over White . If they really wanted him they would trade down to the 9-12 range if the draft were today and still potentially be overpicking him. He has some high iq qualities but is a **** defender and probably always will be. Meniscus tears are looked at as nothing these days, but they do pose some potential reinjury risks enough to devalue anyone that has had it. esp when their lateral movements are not great post injury.Early in the predraft process I remember thinking I hope the Cavs steer clear of this kid... just my luck.
I think given his shooting failed him as well, if he picks that up and gets his shot back he will be in the league awhile as a back up. If not hes a bust and that will be evident withing a couple weeks of the next season. If he isn't healed by now I would not bet on any substantial success.

This is sort of what I was talking about. He was a 19 year-old coming off injury, so I don't think anyone should've been counting on him lighting the world on fire. The case for him was largely about having sweet handles and a slick shot off the dribble, plus some good agility an BBIQ. None of those things seems like it went out the window last year: the handles looked fine and he was able to create shots for himself, the shot didn't fall that much but the mechanics are good and the numbers were fine for a young rook (36% from 3 on significant volume), he seemed to move well with the ball in his hands, etc. So either he was outrageously overrated as a prospect or he still has plenty of room to develop his game.

I didn't think he was a great prospect but see why he was taken top-10, seems like he just needs to develop a nice floater and hone his quick judgment skills to be a solid player, two things that are part of normal development cycles (not saying he will develop them but they're things that people who develop well routinely acquire).

What made it worse for him was Sexton took it personal they drafted another combo and improved significantly not only with his own issues from year one but just in general with weightroom gains and improved understanding defensively. If Garland can make the same leap or level of improvement he might be as impactful as Sexton was year 2 as well. Sexton had a better rookie season though at least in the 2nd half and so it doesnt bode well for Garland given his likely limitations physically to make adjustments defensievely , but offensively if he shoots at a high level he might keep a job in the rotation. I don't think JBB will keep him in the rotation like Beilein did without proven improvement across the board off the jump
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,076
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#278 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: Doubt there is any chance in Hell CLE would have taken Garland at 5 still after his rookie year. Part of it was Beilein who was the catalyst for why they took him over White . If they really wanted him they would trade down to the 9-12 range if the draft were today and still potentially be overpicking him. He has some high iq qualities but is a **** defender and probably always will be. Meniscus tears are looked at as nothing these days, but they do pose some potential reinjury risks enough to devalue anyone that has had it. esp when their lateral movements are not great post injury.Early in the predraft process I remember thinking I hope the Cavs steer clear of this kid... just my luck.
I think given his shooting failed him as well, if he picks that up and gets his shot back he will be in the league awhile as a back up. If not hes a bust and that will be evident withing a couple weeks of the next season. If he isn't healed by now I would not bet on any substantial success.

This is sort of what I was talking about. He was a 19 year-old coming off injury, so I don't think anyone should've been counting on him lighting the world on fire. The case for him was largely about having sweet handles and a slick shot off the dribble, plus some good agility an BBIQ. None of those things seems like it went out the window last year: the handles looked fine and he was able to create shots for himself, the shot didn't fall that much but the mechanics are good and the numbers were fine for a young rook (36% from 3 on significant volume), he seemed to move well with the ball in his hands, etc. So either he was outrageously overrated as a prospect or he still has plenty of room to develop his game.

I didn't think he was a great prospect but see why he was taken top-10, seems like he just needs to develop a nice floater and hone his quick judgment skills to be a solid player, two things that are part of normal development cycles (not saying he will develop them but they're things that people who develop well routinely acquire).

What made it worse for him was Sexton took it personal they drafted another combo and improved significantly not only with his own issues from year one but just in general with weightroom gains and improved understanding defensively. If Garland can make the same leap or level of improvement he might be as impactful as Sexton was year 2 as well. Sexton had a better rookie season though at least in the 2nd half and so it doesnt bode well for Garland given his likely limitations physically to make adjustments defensievely , but offensively if he shoots at a high level he might keep a job in the rotation. I don't think JBB will keep him in the rotation like Beilein did without proven improvement across the board off the jump

They just need to keep working hard. The talent is there.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,776
And1: 4,474
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#279 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:15 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote: What made it worse for him was Sexton took it personal they drafted another combo and improved significantly not only with his own issues from year one but just in general with weightroom gains and improved understanding defensively. If Garland can make the same leap or level of improvement he might be as impactful as Sexton was year 2 as well. Sexton had a better rookie season though at least in the 2nd half and so it doesnt bode well for Garland given his likely limitations physically to make adjustments defensievely , but offensively if he shoots at a high level he might keep a job in the rotation. I don't think JBB will keep him in the rotation like Beilein did without proven improvement across the board off the jump
They just need to keep working hard. The talent is there.


Sexton's a good example for me. I thought he was an overrated prospect--bad distributor and meh shooter who wasn't a super athlete, so what's to love?--but he looks like he could be really good just because he's developed as a shooter and done a good job of making the right decision with the ball. The rest of his game makes sense now, and you can see why his strengths (solid athleticism and competitiveness) made him a high pick. Garland just needs to get and make shots off in traffic (which he was drafted to do) and use that threat to set up his drives+dishes, and he'll start to make sense.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,295
And1: 49,057
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#280 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:41 pm

Lu Dort is turning into a defensive monster
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE

Return to NBA Draft