Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,902

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#341 » by zimpy27 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:14 am

I think THT will make some noise in this thread next season.

He has apparently been tearing up other players in training camp. Expecting 15-20 mpg this season from him.

I think he is the player that made Bradley and Green expendable
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#342 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:17 am

Any 2nd year preseason standouts outside of the top 5 picks, post them here.

So far, McDaniels, THT, and Reddish so far. White scoring wise impressed me yesterday but his defense and PG play needs a lot of work.

You so far?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#343 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:30 am

zimpy27 wrote:I think THT will make some noise in this thread next season.

He has apparently been tearing up other players in training camp. Expecting 15-20 mpg this season from him.

had him top20, i legit have no idea what NBA GMs are doing most of the time tbh
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#344 » by zimpy27 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am

clyde21 wrote:

I remember you had him even higher at some point. Not just the GMs but the scouts that inform them.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#345 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm

King Ken wrote:Any 2nd year preseason standouts outside of the top 5 picks, post them here.

So far, McDaniels, THT, and Reddish so far. White scoring wise impressed me yesterday but his defense and PG play needs a lot of work.

You so far?

umm its been one game lol
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#346 » by nolang1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I remember you had him even higher at some point. Not just the GMs but the scouts that inform them.

It definitely wasn't uncommon for people to have him around the lottery, I know I did. He got busted for shoplifting like a month before the draft, and as with numerous other prospects getting with a desirable team may have trumped trying to get drafted as high as possible; he's a Klutch client after all.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#347 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:36 am

my boy Sekou...23 points in 17 mins...Casey better give him minutes
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#348 » by zimpy27 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 am

nolang1 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It definitely wasn't uncommon for people to have him around the lottery, I know I did. He got busted for shoplifting like a month before the draft, and as with numerous other prospects getting with a desirable team may have trumped trying to get drafted as high as possible; he's a Klutch client after all.

Mans is balling right now.

Seems to be replicating what he's done in practice on to the court. Still only preseason but it's a good sign.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,210

Post#349 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:20 am

Good timing lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,029
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#350 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am

Has anyone ever been as bad in college and as a rookie and then became anywhwre close to the best player in the NBA? The disconnect is real with Reddish.

Mans shoots 4-10 overall and 33% from 3, with 6 turnovers (to 3 assists) in 23 minutes and misses the second game, and he’s a preseason standout. let it go man, you can hope he’s gonna be good one day, stop pretending he’s not garbage currently and last year, and the year before that, and probably in high school too, I dunno, I didn’t watch him against children.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
King Ken
General Manager

Post#351 » by King Ken » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Has anyone ever been as bad in college and as a rookie and then became anywhwre close to the best player in the NBA? The disconnect is real with Reddish.

Mans shoots 4-10 overall and 33% from 3, with 6 turnovers (to 3 assists) in 23 minutes and misses the second game, and he’s a preseason standout. let it go man, you can hope he’s gonna be good one day, stop pretending he’s not garbage currently and last year, and the year before that, and probably in high school too, I dunno, I didn’t watch him against children.

You gotta watch the kid play to understand why people like me think he can be the best in the league one day. He's clearly not there yet and was obviously not there last year but the potential is real, the talent is real, the ability is real. I am not sure why you brought up he missed the 2nd game when my post a day after the 1st game. I don't have ESP, I can't predict when or when he's not going to play. If I could, I would use it for something far more productive than that anyway.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#352 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:01 pm

King Ken wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Has anyone ever been as bad in college and as a rookie and then became anywhwre close to the best player in the NBA? The disconnect is real with Reddish.

You gotta watch the kid play to understand why people like me think he can be the best in the league one day. He's clearly not there yet and was obviously not there last year but the potential is real, the talent is real, the ability is real. I am not sure why you brought up he missed the 2nd game when my post a day after the 1st game. I don't have ESP, I can't predict when or when he's not going to play. If I could, I would use it for something far more productive than that anyway.

there are a ton of kids with solid physical tools and upside that never materialize but few with his combination of nba body and baseline skill that so readily fail to get it done. The jury aint out by any means but he appears to lack the mental fortitude as well as not being explosive enough to play like he wants to so the odds he becomes more than a bench rotation player all depends on if he can get out of his own way and somehow make up for his lack of finishing ability at the rim in traffic by developing a solid mid range game.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#353 » by King Ken » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

there are a ton of kids with solid physical tools and upside that never materialize but few with his combination of nba body and baseline skill that so readily fail to get it done. The jury aint out by any means but he appears to lack the mental fortitude as well as not being explosive enough to play like he wants to so the odds he becomes more than a bench rotation player all depends on if he can get out of his own way and somehow make up for his lack of finishing ability at the rim in traffic by developing a solid mid range game.

Not really. There aren't that many kids like Cam and as usual, we differ, see Trae Young for example. Cam is rare. I have been stating that when he was at Duke and I will continue to do so and it's clear many of his peers see it as well even if you don't.

The last player I felt like this about who needed time was Giannis and he became the best player in the NBA as I predicted at that time that he had that potential.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#354 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:36 pm

how we finna still have these same convos about Cam lol
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,029
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#355 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:how we finna still have these same convos about Cam lol

It somehow always also circles back to "I was right about Trae Young", when I was a fan of Trae Young and don't even know how that's relevant, other than it being another guy on his team that he gushes over.

I keep bringing it back up because Cam steady gets name dropped in an "I told you so" manner like he's already broke out or shook off being an awful player.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#356 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:32 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:You gotta watch the kid play to understand why people like me think he can be the best in the league one day. He's clearly not there yet and was obviously not there last year but the potential is real, the talent is real, the ability is real. I am not sure why you brought up he missed the 2nd game when my post a day after the 1st game. I don't have ESP, I can't predict when or when he's not going to play. If I could, I would use it for something far more productive than that anyway.

Not really. There aren't that many kids like Cam and as usual, we differ, see Trae Young for example. Cam is rare. I have been stating that when he was at Duke and I will continue to do so and it's clear many of his peers see it as well even if you don't.

The last player I felt like this about who needed time was Giannis and he became the best player in the NBA as I predicted at that time that he had that potential.

sure you dying on that hill dont phase me, just dont think you are close to right about him. He sure as hell aint the freak
clyde21
RealGM

Post#357 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 am

Malone has to be trollin at this point

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#358 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Bol Bol 10 points and 6 rebounds in less than 6 minutes last night. As a basketball fan, it's impossible not to focus on him when he's in the game - he's so much fun to watch.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
crows2
Senior
And1: 556

Post#359 » by crows2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:00 pm

He'll likely never be a "steal", but has anyone seen any of RJ Barrett's play so far this preseason? I haven't watched the Knicks but he's averaging 19 pts, 5 rbds and 2 asts on 51% from the field. Is there any chance he becomes a semi-efficient scorer this season?
King Ken
General Manager

Post#360 » by King Ken » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:43 pm

crows2 wrote:He'll likely never be a "steal", but has anyone seen any of RJ Barrett's play so far this preseason? I haven't watched the Knicks but he's averaging 19 pts, 5 rbds and 2 asts on 51% from the field. Is there any chance he becomes a semi-efficient scorer this season?

Yeah, he was a top 5 pick. He's expected to be very productive. That said, he's been looking good this preseason.

Return to NBA Draft