Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,786
And1: 4,549
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#41 » by King Ken » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:32 am

Stillwater wrote:certainly possible the tools are there,otherwise he wouldnt have gotten drafted, not after that "im a bust dont pick me season at duke"
regardless of reasons and excuses he has a lot to prove and if he does it will be more of a surprise than if he fails.

When we are going into 2020-21 and you got Cam as one of the best young players in the NBA, just remember, KK gave you a chance to be on the right side of history.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,253
And1: 2,379
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#42 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:23 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:certainly possible the tools are there,otherwise he wouldnt have gotten drafted, not after that "im a bust dont pick me season at duke"
regardless of reasons and excuses he has a lot to prove and if he does it will be more of a surprise than if he fails.

When we are going into 2020-21 and you got Cam as one of the best young players in the NBA, just remember, KK gave you a chance to be on the right side of history.
like ive said before i see the tools same as you and i also see he didnt use them in college and so i need him to prove me wrong.. i hope he does, but certainly could'nt care less about if i got lucky and predicted he would be great in the league when all signs point to fringe starter. barring every problem being only the core muscle issue he is going to bust or at minimum dissappoint atl
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 53,228
And1: 10,345
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#43 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Let me give you a deeep sleeper: Naz Reid.

Went undrafted, and is on a minutes restriction at the summer league, but he's still putting up 11/4/2 in just 18 mpg. Most importantly, he just looks good. If he continues to get himself in better shape, the Wolves have themselves a nice little steal on a two-way deal.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,786
And1: 4,549
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#44 » by King Ken » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Klomp wrote:Let me give you a deeep sleeper: Naz Reid.

Went undrafted, and is on a minutes restriction at the summer league, but he's still putting up 11/4/2 in just 18 mpg. Most importantly, he just looks good. If he continues to get himself in better shape, the Wolves have themselves a nice little steal on a two-way deal.

He always had a 2nd round grade with me. I always feel guys like him get overscouted. Last year, it was Zo Trier.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,253
And1: 2,379
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 am

Klomp wrote:Let me give you a deeep sleeper: Naz Reid.

Went undrafted, and is on a minutes restriction at the summer league, but he's still putting up 11/4/2 in just 18 mpg. Most importantly, he just looks good. If he continues to get himself in better shape, the Wolves have themselves a nice little steal on a two-way deal.

Maybe I mean if he commits to playing defense which was not the case in college, he has a shot at being more than a end of the bench guy since he does have some nice offensive skill and room for improvement. If no defense then he's just another Diamond Stone
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
crows2
Sophomore
Posts: 166
And1: 110
Joined: Apr 01, 2015

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#46 » by crows2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

King Ken wrote:
crows2 wrote:Reddish is more likely to be the biggest bust. Statistically one of the worst lottery picks of the last decade. He’ll need to completely transform his mindset if he’s going to succeed in the league. His interview after he was picked didn’t give me much hope; he seemed pretty content with how he performed in college.

As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

When I think it would be wrong.
Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.


But Reddish isn’t some player who put up average stats in college despite looking good. He put up absolutely disastrous stats; like the worst stats of any lottery pick over the past decade. It would be a huge anomaly if he were able to succeed in the NBA after his college performance.

And on Huerter, he projects to be an elite shooter and was rightly satisfied with being drafted in the first round. He performed well in college; shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3. So essentially the complete opposite to Reddish.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,786
And1: 4,549
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#47 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:06 pm

crows2 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
crows2 wrote:Reddish is more likely to be the biggest bust. Statistically one of the worst lottery picks of the last decade. He’ll need to completely transform his mindset if he’s going to succeed in the league. His interview after he was picked didn’t give me much hope; he seemed pretty content with how he performed in college.

As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

When I think it would be wrong.
Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.


But Reddish isn’t some player who put up average stats in college despite looking good. He put up absolutely disastrous stats; like the worst stats of any lottery pick over the past decade. It would be a huge anomaly if he were able to succeed in the NBA after his college performance.

And on Huerter, he projects to be an elite shooter and was rightly satisfied with being drafted in the first round. He performed well in college; shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3. So essentially the complete opposite to Reddish.

79% jumpshots
33% on 7.2 3pt attempts with a projected NBA percentage well above the norm and before the groin injury, he was exactly(39%) with Klay Thompson projected mark (38.9%) when Klay was a 21 yo JUNIOR!

He showed the ability to shoot a high variance of different types of 3 pointers which include, dribble pullup, hesi, beyond NBA range, spot up, C&S, stepback, one hard dribble pullup. All of the variance you look for in the NBA.

This is the **** I am talking about. Not having a damn clue of what you are talking about and just listing out numbers without perspective.

There is zero reason to even worry as he was strong where he needed to be. Open C&S 3 - 41%, isolation rated good and showed very well on tape. Just taking the amount of threes he takes is extremely difficult to do on any level.

People like you just read numbers with no context. You would know Kevin projected was 36.8% which is very good but Cam was 37.9 which is exceptional. Those things translate more than raw numbers. Like I said, you don't even have the proper context and you making terrible opinions. Watch the damn tape. The kid had to sacrifice his game for the betterment of the team. This wasn't a Zo Ball or Trae Young situation where they built their teams around those players success. This is the exact opposite and truth is, I never seen a player so talented who was so misused even if I can't blame K for what he did.

He didn't play to his strengths but I think he improved at Duke. His movement skills got much better as the year got going. He started making good off ball reads and his actions were good. His natural movement is most special about it. His defense tremendously improved. Before he was a high risk, too aggressive type but he became disciplined as the year came along. He has a lot of growth in this area. So he improved in those areas. Just didn't play to his strengths.

I would have played through R.J. and Zion too. It led to an ACC title and the #1 overall seed in the tourney. Can't dispute the results. Those two fit the NCAA game a lot more than Cam did. The amount of egg that's gonna be on your face man is going to be insane. I gave you a chance to be on the right side of history. You are free to go this route if that's what you want. I will talk **** and won't forget, fyi.
User avatar
panthermark
RealGM
Posts: 19,252
And1: 2,398
Joined: Mar 15, 2010
Location: Undisclosed: MJ's shadow could be lurking....
         

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#48 » by panthermark » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:44 pm

It should be NON lottery picks..... or at least outside of the top 7 or 8. (Rui is up there). NAW, Clarke, Gafford, ect.....
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Djh7475
Pro Prospect
Posts: 806
And1: 335
Joined: Jul 27, 2016

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#49 » by Djh7475 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 pm

I have NAW, Grant Williams, and Carson Edwards as the top 3. Williams and Edwards aren’t getting nearly enough love because the Celtics summer league coach only have them like 22-23 MPG, but both were dominant in the minutes they played and were taken in the late first and 2nd round.
BostonCouchGM
Junior
Posts: 314
And1: 140
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#50 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm

I think Sekou Doumbouya ends up the best or at least 1b from this draft and since he was taken outside the lottery he'll be the steal of the draft. But Bol, Claxton, Roby, Brazdeikis, McDaniels and Reid (who wasn't even drafted) will all be major steals and huge reasons why all the draft "experts" were wrong about this draft class being weak.
gorz
Sophomore
Posts: 167
And1: 130
Joined: Apr 03, 2018

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#51 » by gorz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:04 am

Rui Hachimura..I think he has perennial all star potential..probably top 3 player from this draft.
User avatar
skiz2
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,307
And1: 144
Joined: Aug 30, 2005

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#52 » by skiz2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Gilbert Arenas was a BULLY . I don't see the comp to Coby White there.
Coby is fast and has a quick release, but he doesn't like contact too much. GIl would seek out smaller guards and bully them in the post repeatedly and laugh in their faces. Lol

Just completely different mentalities, we're talking about a dude who grew up on the streets homeless sleeping in a car . I don't see any prospects in this young generation being comparable to Arenas. Coby is more like a speedier Jamal Murray imo


Coby is not a bully at the moment. Relies more on finesse to get to where he wants to be and is 20 lbs away from starting to post up, however Coby relentlessly took it to the chest of bigs constantly and would get hacked all the time. To say he does not like contact much is very disingenuous.

As far as the biggest steal, I will go with Bol Bol or Iggy.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,461
And1: 2,950
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#53 » by Fischella » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Man, tons of craziness in this thread

To me, quite obvious ones

Tyler Herro, was 3rd-4th in my board
Brandon Clarke, was 2nd in my board
Goga Bitadze, was 3rd-4th in my board
Matisse Thybulle, was 13-14th in my board
Grant Williams, was 8-9th in my board
Carsen Edwards, was 12-13th in my board
Nicolas Claxton, was 17-18th in my board
Iggy Brazdeikis, was 23-27th in my board

I also thought Cody Martin was a top25 guy, had Terence Davis and Yovel Zoosman top30 and they went udfa, was higher on THT and Isaiah Roby than their real draft range
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 35,457
And1: 40,072
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Fischella wrote:Man, tons of craziness in this thread

To me, quite obvious ones

Tyler Herro, was 3rd-4th in my board
Brandon Clarke, was 2nd in my board
Goga Bitadze, was 3rd-4th in my board
Matisse Thybulle, was 13-14th in my board
Grant Williams, was 8-9th in my board
Carsen Edwards, was 12-13th in my board
Nicolas Claxton, was 17-18th in my board
Iggy Brazdeikis, was 23-27th in my board

I also thought Cody Martin was a top25 guy, had Terence Davis and Yovel Zoosman top30 and they went udfa, was higher on THT and Isaiah Roby than their real draft range



good list, I'd add Bol, Sekou, Gafford, and Kab.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,253
And1: 2,379
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#55 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:40 am

Right now my $ is on NAW,KPJ and Smiley will be considered the steals of this draft in a 1-2 years with others like Sekou,Bol and Samanic looking like steals in 3-4 years once they hit their primes.
I also would not be shocked if Okeke is a top 5 player from this draft long term.I also think Nas and Claxton were way undervalued
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
nicnac215
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,349
And1: 347
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Location: Southern California

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#56 » by nicnac215 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:48 am

Bol Bol will make every team regret passing on him
User avatar
baldur
Head Coach
Posts: 6,141
And1: 6,609
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
     

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#57 » by baldur » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:47 am

consensus pretty much looks like: bol bol, NAW, edwards, bit of brazdeikis and bit of claxton i guess.
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,380
And1: 4,704
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#58 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:56 pm

crows2 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
crows2 wrote:Reddish is more likely to be the biggest bust. Statistically one of the worst lottery picks of the last decade. He’ll need to completely transform his mindset if he’s going to succeed in the league. His interview after he was picked didn’t give me much hope; he seemed pretty content with how he performed in college.

As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

When I think it would be wrong.
Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.


But Reddish isn’t some player who put up average stats in college despite looking good. He put up absolutely disastrous stats; like the worst stats of any lottery pick over the past decade. It would be a huge anomaly if he were able to succeed in the NBA after his college performance.

And on Huerter, he projects to be an elite shooter and was rightly satisfied with being drafted in the first round. He performed well in college; shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3. So essentially the complete opposite to Reddish.


Cam without Zion and more space wasn't much better than he was with Zion in the lineup, he just became a volume scorer on middlin' efficiency.

I'm still wondering to this day what Cam showed people to warrant all these excuses?
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 7,786
And1: 4,549
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#59 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Dat2U wrote:
crows2 wrote:
King Ken wrote:As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

When I think it would be wrong.
Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.


But Reddish isn’t some player who put up average stats in college despite looking good. He put up absolutely disastrous stats; like the worst stats of any lottery pick over the past decade. It would be a huge anomaly if he were able to succeed in the NBA after his college performance.

And on Huerter, he projects to be an elite shooter and was rightly satisfied with being drafted in the first round. He performed well in college; shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3. So essentially the complete opposite to Reddish.


Cam without Zion and more space wasn't much better than he was with Zion in the lineup, he just became a volume scorer on middlin' efficiency.

I'm still wondering to this day what Cam showed people to warrant all these excuses?

Duke without Cam had limited spacing and couldn't guard anyone not to mention Cam was injured as well in the 1st UNC game with the groin injury that he recently had surgery for and was for 3 months.

Perspective is key. Duke was 1-1 without Cam and lost to an unranked team.

Its quite obvious if you watch the tape
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,380
And1: 4,704
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#60 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 pm

King Ken wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
crows2 wrote:
But Reddish isn’t some player who put up average stats in college despite looking good. He put up absolutely disastrous stats; like the worst stats of any lottery pick over the past decade. It would be a huge anomaly if he were able to succeed in the NBA after his college performance.

And on Huerter, he projects to be an elite shooter and was rightly satisfied with being drafted in the first round. He performed well in college; shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3. So essentially the complete opposite to Reddish.


Cam without Zion and more space wasn't much better than he was with Zion in the lineup, he just became a volume scorer on middlin' efficiency.

I'm still wondering to this day what Cam showed people to warrant all these excuses?

Duke without Cam had limited spacing and couldn't guard anyone not to mention Cam was injured as well in the 1st UNC game with the groin injury that he recently had surgery for and was for 3 months.

Perspective is key. Duke was 1-1 without Cam and lost to an unranked team.

Its quite obvious if you watch the tape


It's quite obvious he doesn't have a motor.

It's also quite obvious that he doesn't make good decisions with the ball in his hands.

I watched nearly every Duke just waiting for him to put together a real solid stretch - I only grew more frustrated each passing game. By the end of the season I was literally praying that he would not be drafted by my favorite team.

Return to NBA Draft