Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Ruzious, Marcus

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,840
And1: 47,624
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:How in the world are people answering Cole Anthony in terms of passing? Not even sure he's top 10 passer in this class.


because he's the best overall PG in the class if u wanted just 1 to build around
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,448
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#22 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:How in the world are people answering Cole Anthony in terms of passing? Not even sure he's top 10 passer in this class.


because he's the best overall PG in the class if u wanted just 1 to build around


I wouldn't ever want to build around him.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,840
And1: 47,624
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:How in the world are people answering Cole Anthony in terms of passing? Not even sure he's top 10 passer in this class.


because he's the best overall PG in the class if u wanted just 1 to build around


I wouldn't ever want to build around him.


wouldn't want to build around LaMelo either
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,994
And1: 3,021
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:56 am

I mean Hayes is a strong candidate for this award of any in lottery considered status but there's obviously better options for win now teams like Pritchard Flynn Winston etc
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,448
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:19 am

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
because he's the best overall PG in the class if u wanted just 1 to build around


I wouldn't ever want to build around him.


wouldn't want to build around LaMelo either


Me neither, of course, I didn't say I would.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,840
And1: 47,624
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#26 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I wouldn't ever want to build around him.


wouldn't want to build around LaMelo either


Me neither, of course, I didn't say I would.


so what's the point? if I had to choose ONE pg in this class to build around, it would be Cole

even tho I have Hali and RJ higher they fit different molds
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,448
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#27 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
wouldn't want to build around LaMelo either


Me neither, of course, I didn't say I would.


so what's the point? if I had to choose ONE pg in this class to build around, it would be Cole

even tho I have Hali and RJ higher they fit different molds


You framed the question. The correct answer is to build around zero point guards in this class. At least, based on what we know right now.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,696
And1: 12,534
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#28 » by OGLife » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:09 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:How in the world are people answering Cole Anthony in terms of passing? Not even sure he's top 10 passer in this class.


because he's the best overall PG in the class if u wanted just 1 to build around

I'll give Theo that nod. Cole is definitely second.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,418
And1: 1,794
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#29 » by getrichordie » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:34 pm

Tre Jones, Killian Hayes, Theo Maledon have to be up there.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,290
And1: 1,522
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#30 » by nolang1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Me neither, of course, I didn't say I would.


so what's the point? if I had to choose ONE pg in this class to build around, it would be Cole

even tho I have Hali and RJ higher they fit different molds


You framed the question. The correct answer is to build around zero point guards in this class. At least, based on what we know right now.


This begs the question of whether you should be building around a point guard in general. Aside from Curry, who is the best shooter ever, or CP3, who is the best 6’2 or under player in NBA history, there hasn’t been a lot of point-guard driven success in recent years. It continues to baffle me that conventional wisdom basically rules out drafting any center anywhere close to the lottery while this draft is loaded at the top with players who can defend two positions at most while not being exceptionally great shooters.

It’s almost a certainty that the team that wins the NBA championship this year will have a player who’s nominally considered a 3 or a 4 initiating their offense, but nobody seems to be considering the idea that a team’s point guard should be a pure 3-D role player just as the center is.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,572
And1: 4,128
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#31 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:18 pm

nolang1 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
so what's the point? if I had to choose ONE pg in this class to build around, it would be Cole

even tho I have Hali and RJ higher they fit different molds


You framed the question. The correct answer is to build around zero point guards in this class. At least, based on what we know right now.


This begs the question of whether you should be building around a point guard in general. Aside from Curry, who is the best shooter ever, or CP3, who is the best 6’2 or under player in NBA history, there hasn’t been a lot of point-guard driven success in recent years. It continues to baffle me that conventional wisdom basically rules out drafting any center anywhere close to the lottery while this draft is loaded at the top with players who can defend two positions at most while not being exceptionally great shooters.

It’s almost a certainty that the team that wins the NBA championship this year will have a player who’s nominally considered a 3 or a 4 initiating their offense, but nobody seems to be considering the idea that a team’s point guard should be a pure 3-D role player just as the center is.


Isiah Zeke Thomas.
AngelMasterLucky11 :wink:
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,290
And1: 1,522
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#32 » by nolang1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
You framed the question. The correct answer is to build around zero point guards in this class. At least, based on what we know right now.


This begs the question of whether you should be building around a point guard in general. Aside from Curry, who is the best shooter ever, or CP3, who is the best 6’2 or under player in NBA history, there hasn’t been a lot of point-guard driven success in recent years. It continues to baffle me that conventional wisdom basically rules out drafting any center anywhere close to the lottery while this draft is loaded at the top with players who can defend two positions at most while not being exceptionally great shooters.

It’s almost a certainty that the team that wins the NBA championship this year will have a player who’s nominally considered a 3 or a 4 initiating their offense, but nobody seems to be considering the idea that a team’s point guard should be a pure 3-D role player just as the center is.


Isiah Zeke Thomas.


I hope you can indulge my saying that 30+ years ago isn’t recent.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,572
And1: 4,128
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:24 am

nolang1 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
This begs the question of whether you should be building around a point guard in general. Aside from Curry, who is the best shooter ever, or CP3, who is the best 6’2 or under player in NBA history, there hasn’t been a lot of point-guard driven success in recent years. It continues to baffle me that conventional wisdom basically rules out drafting any center anywhere close to the lottery while this draft is loaded at the top with players who can defend two positions at most while not being exceptionally great shooters.

It’s almost a certainty that the team that wins the NBA championship this year will have a player who’s nominally considered a 3 or a 4 initiating their offense, but nobody seems to be considering the idea that a team’s point guard should be a pure 3-D role player just as the center is.


Isiah Zeke Thomas.


I hope you can indulge my saying that 30+ years ago isn’t recent.


I’m old. Sorry. Recent could mean my spaghetti dinner of last night or when the Braves won the series in 95. :wink:
AngelMasterLucky11 :wink:
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,448
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Lonzo is obviously at the top. I think Terry is the most underrated in terms of vision. He's going to surprise people at the next level with his passing.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,723
And1: 2,269
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#35 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 am

clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Interesting. I don't see many who have Cole as #1 PG in this draft.


Well keep in mind his post was from November...


still kinda true for me depending on how you wnat me to classify Hampton and Haliburton, both can be PGs if you want I guess but more combo guys, Cole for me is the best PG in the traditional sense I guess


I'm just so far in a different direction than you its crazy. To me Cole Anthony is Dennis Smith Jr lite or maybe a Cillin Sexton lite. While you think Melo is all flash, I feel that way about Cole. Its that type of guy who only plays downhill fishing for contact. I feel like teammates will stand around watching him dribble waiting helplessly for kickouts. He takes hard shots and that seemingly is every shot. And I dont think hes as athletic as first advertised and he can't shoot.

The best passer is Tyerese Haliburton. But overall to me is Lamelo. I think team offense these days looks allot like playground ball. Guys making quicker decisions, dribble a few times and get it out of your hands whether it be a shot or a pass but if done right it actually does look like freewheeling. I think Cole is more of that type where if he was an athletic freak with the way he plays youd put him on some defensive PG scoring based offense, maybe similar to how Thibs used Rose or Nate or even like Brown used AI. Problem for me is he ISNT in thier athletic tier and not as skilled as Damian. If thats who you think he can be then hes more of a project.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,418
And1: 1,794
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#36 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Well keep in mind his post was from November...


still kinda true for me depending on how you wnat me to classify Hampton and Haliburton, both can be PGs if you want I guess but more combo guys, Cole for me is the best PG in the traditional sense I guess


I'm just so far in a different direction than you its crazy. To me Cole Anthony is Dennis Smith Jr lite or maybe a Cillin Sexton lite. While you think Melo is all flash, I feel that way about Cole. Its that type of guy who only plays downhill fishing for contact. I feel like teammates will stand around watching him dribble waiting helplessly for kickouts. He takes hard shots and that seemingly is every shot. And I dont think hes as athletic as first advertised and he can't shoot.

The best passer is Tyerese Haliburton. But overall to me is Lamelo. I think team offense these days looks allot like playground ball. Guys making quicker decisions, dribble a few times and get it out of your hands whether it be a shot or a pass but if done right it actually does look like freewheeling. I think Cole is more of that type where if he was an athletic freak with the way he plays youd put him on some defensive PG scoring based offense, maybe similar to how Thibs used Rose or Nate or even like Brown used AI. Problem for me is he ISNT in thier athletic tier and not as skilled as Damian. If thats who you think he can be then hes more of a project.


Read on Twitter
?s=20

Really? Cole Anthony can actually shoot the ball and has a way better handle. How in the world are you getting a DSJ comp? :crazy:
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,642
And1: 4,972
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#37 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Ball then Haliburton

If you ask me who's the best floor general its Haliburton

If you ask me who's the best PG overall not considering how they adjust to the NBA, its Tre Jones
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,723
And1: 2,269
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#38 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:41 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
still kinda true for me depending on how you wnat me to classify Hampton and Haliburton, both can be PGs if you want I guess but more combo guys, Cole for me is the best PG in the traditional sense I guess


I'm just so far in a different direction than you its crazy. To me Cole Anthony is Dennis Smith Jr lite or maybe a Cillin Sexton lite. While you think Melo is all flash, I feel that way about Cole. Its that type of guy who only plays downhill fishing for contact. I feel like teammates will stand around watching him dribble waiting helplessly for kickouts. He takes hard shots and that seemingly is every shot. And I dont think hes as athletic as first advertised and he can't shoot.

The best passer is Tyerese Haliburton. But overall to me is Lamelo. I think team offense these days looks allot like playground ball. Guys making quicker decisions, dribble a few times and get it out of your hands whether it be a shot or a pass but if done right it actually does look like freewheeling. I think Cole is more of that type where if he was an athletic freak with the way he plays youd put him on some defensive PG scoring based offense, maybe similar to how Thibs used Rose or Nate or even like Brown used AI. Problem for me is he ISNT in thier athletic tier and not as skilled as Damian. If thats who you think he can be then hes more of a project.


Read on Twitter
?s=20

Really? Cole Anthony can actually shoot the ball and has a way better handle. How in the world are you getting a DSJ comp? :crazy:



That was hilarious

But here you go
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=cole-anthony--dennis-smith

Sometimes people take the player they see and know at the nba level and compare it to the player in college that they haven't seen. Lets not forget that DSJ was a 15&5 rookie and second team all rookie. Not really a meaningful award but thats my point. Its hard to be an nba player and everybody is a future star before they get drafted. But take a look, I think you'll be surprised. And hey, I'm not trying to promote Dennis. I'm just saying Cole plays similar. A low assist scoring PG who has a 38%FG amongst other lows in advanced shooting metrics.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,696
And1: 12,534
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#39 » by OGLife » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Well keep in mind his post was from November...


still kinda true for me depending on how you wnat me to classify Hampton and Haliburton, both can be PGs if you want I guess but more combo guys, Cole for me is the best PG in the traditional sense I guess


I'm just so far in a different direction than you its crazy. To me Cole Anthony is Dennis Smith Jr lite or maybe a Cillin Sexton lite. While you think Melo is all flash, I feel that way about Cole. Its that type of guy who only plays downhill fishing for contact. I feel like teammates will stand around watching him dribble waiting helplessly for kickouts. He takes hard shots and that seemingly is every shot. And I dont think hes as athletic as first advertised and he can't shoot.

The best passer is Tyerese Haliburton. But overall to me is Lamelo. I think team offense these days looks allot like playground ball. Guys making quicker decisions, dribble a few times and get it out of your hands whether it be a shot or a pass but if done right it actually does look like freewheeling. I think Cole is more of that type where if he was an athletic freak with the way he plays youd put him on some defensive PG scoring based offense, maybe similar to how Thibs used Rose or Nate or even like Brown used AI. Problem for me is he ISNT in thier athletic tier and not as skilled as Damian. If thats who you think he can be then hes more of a project.

Cole Anthony to me reminds me of Fred VanVleet
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,238
And1: 3,301
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Who is the best passing/court vision PG in this upcoming draft? 

Post#40 » by Fischella » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Ball is the obvious answer but if Alocen had declared he would've given him a run for his money

Return to NBA Draft