LaMelo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#281 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 5, 2021 6:56 pm

Emhoward wrote:Someone earlier mentioned that if Lamelo becomes all star caliber then it's due to a complete transformation. I agreed with that at the time, but honestly, so far, he's been exactly what people who were high on him said he'd be. A big playmaking PG, with elite passing, and a suspect shot, has the tools to be a good defender just has to stay engaged and gain strength. The only thing different may be the shot isn't as bad as folks in the thread made it out to be, and he's not as raw as I thought. Whether he becomes an all star though obviously remains to be seen -- I suppose he could still end up being a flashy MCW, but the early returns are promising.

I agree and think the same now. I was not a believer. But his early games have made me taste crow for maybe the first real time. I somehow taste it now every time I see his name posted.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#282 » by shakes0 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 7:17 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Big J wrote:LaMelo's defense isn't in the same galaxy as Kidds. Kidd was tough as nails also, Melo's been pandered after since he was in diapers.

I actually think the reason he's this skilled is that he wasn't pandered after at all. He was playing up his whole life. Basically playing against top level competition since he was in 8th grade.

He looked like a literal child but was playing against the top prep teams around. That's not pandering/sheltering.

Jesus christ the word is PAMPERED. :o
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,704

Post#283 » by KembaWalker » Fri Feb 5, 2021 10:30 pm

Big J wrote:LaMelo's defense isn't in the same galaxy as Kidds. Kidd was tough as nails also, Melo's been pandered after since he was in diapers.

Pampered would have been to stay around in America and dominate everyone with your AAU dream team buddies and going to Duke or Kentucky, not going to Lithuanian minor leagues and the NBL. LaMelo took the hardest road every time and its paid off for him. His vision and creativity isn't just a natural gift, its what he had to learn to contribute playing top level varsity HS basketball as a 5-10' 13 year old
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#284 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 5, 2021 10:57 pm

KembaWalker wrote:

Pampered would have been to stay around in America and dominate everyone with your AAU dream team buddies and going to Duke or Kentucky, not going to Lithuanian minor leagues and the NBL. LaMelo took the hardest road every time and its paid off for him. His vision and creativity isn't just a natural gift, its what he had to learn to contribute playing top level varsity HS basketball as a 5-10' 13 year old

I disagree on the natural gifts. Some folks are a cheat code in the way they see things, break it down and add in their own flair. I see this in Melo based on his interviews and seeing his growth as a basketball player over the years.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#285 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:10 pm

Gotta admit - the kid looks a lot more mature - both on and off the court - than I expected.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#286 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:07 am

The Warriors made a huge mistake.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#287 » by Dat2U » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:08 am

EvanZ wrote:The Warriors made a huge mistake.

Yep, the team that ushered in the modern game of skill and spacing went old school and drafted a modestly skilled big over the most skilled guy in the draft who happened to be 6-8. Crazy. LaMelo or even Haliburton would have been incredible for the Warriors.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#288 » by MemphisX » Sat Feb 6, 2021 7:14 am

The problem is most people stopped watching Melo after Lonzo. If you actually watched him every step of the way and especially his growth in Australia, this was a likely consequence of his development. I was one of the most positive Melo supporters and I did not think he would develop this fast though.

He has been much better than anticipated. The Warriors/T'Wolves will be kicking themselves like the Suns/Kings with Luka unless their guy gets on the Trae trajectory which is the only thing saving the Hawks from sever regrets.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#289 » by zimpy27 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 8:51 am

Yeah, LaMelo with Steph and Klay would have been very interesting.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#290 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:07 am

Ruzious wrote:Gotta admit - the kid looks a lot more mature - both on and off the court - than I expected.

Well that's your prejudices or lack of info, I saw him in lithuania live several times, he never seemed immature in the way he handled himself, his game was, but that's another story
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#291 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 6, 2021 11:34 am

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Gotta admit - the kid looks a lot more mature - both on and off the court - than I expected.

Well that's your prejudices or lack of info, I saw him in lithuania live several times, he never seemed immature in the way he handled himself, his game was, but that's another story

You better watch your words there, and change your tone. I'm tired of warning you.

There were multiple reports that he was terrible in the interview processes shortly before the draft, and he's always had questionable shot selection and questions about his defensive effort.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#292 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:

You better watch your words there, and change your tone. I'm tired of warning you.

There were multiple reports that he was terrible in the interview processes shortly before the draft, and he's always had questionable shot selection and questions about his defensive effort.

Again there is a disconnect there due to lack of info, Bobby Marks who prepped him for the pre-draft interviews said otherwise and called bogus on those reports 'cause at the time he had yet to interview with someone actually, it should be availble still in Windy's or Woj's pod's feed, can't quite recall in which one Bobby said it

He was fine on D for anyone who bothered watching, he made plays with smarts and with his size, sure consistency is one thing (playing as a pro at 18) he was clearly not going to be a negative, was way better than Hampton for example, questionable shot selection is one thing, calling him immature off court is just prejudicial against him due to the circus steaming from his dad's tv appearences imho

Not sure what you are talking about re:my tone, I am just being honest but by no means I am trying to offend anyone here
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#293 » by Dat2U » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Hit pieces. Lots of them. The kid is a lightning rod due to old youtube vids, the Ball reality show and his dad. But in interviews I saw, he processed things instantly and displayed extreme intelligence. The skill level had always been impressive but by all accounts he was a complete professional in Australia. Playing against grown men over there really prepared him for the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#294 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:44 pm

The Warriors were so **** blinded they made Melo seem like a problem. Well now he is a problem they wish they had.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#295 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 am

its not even they missed out on a superstar. like wiseman is kwame brown level bad their scouts are a joke.
ball was a no brainer at 2 but they just went fit over bpa and will get punished.
But I doubt Ball would have been great in GS if Klay was healthy. They should have packaged the picks for a superstar.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#296 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:

its not even they missed out on a superstar. like wiseman is kwame brown level bad their scouts are a joke.
ball was a no brainer at 2 but they just went fit over bpa and will get punished.
But I doubt Ball would have been great in GS if Klay was healthy. They should have packaged the picks for a superstar.

Ball would be great no matter where he landed. He's proving that. If you can be a star in Charlotte you can be a star anywhere. GS would have only made his job easier. They would have rolled out a playoff lineup of Steph/Ball/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond. And he's more valuable as a trade asset now than he was on Draft night.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Huge unforced error.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#297 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm

the warriors should have went with neither, and Wiseman was not a "fit" pick, they thought Wiseman was the BPA pick, he's actually a terrible fit on the Warriors.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#298 » by nolang1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:16 pm

MemphisX wrote:The problem is most people stopped watching Melo after Lonzo. If you actually watched him every step of the way and especially his growth in Australia, this was a likely consequence of his development. I was one of the most positive Melo supporters and I did not think he would develop this fast though.

He was like 40% true shooting in Australia. I would've taken him as the Timberwolves but it's definitely revisionist to act like he'd come in shooting this well or that he was some super obvious #1 prospect.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#299 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:35 pm

clyde21 wrote:the warriors should have went with neither, and Wiseman was not a "fit" pick, they thought Wiseman was the BPA pick, he's actually a terrible fit on the Warriors.

Reminder Clyde had LaMelo #18 in the 2020 Draft.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#300 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:36 pm

nolang1 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:The problem is most people stopped watching Melo after Lonzo. If you actually watched him every step of the way and especially his growth in Australia, this was a likely consequence of his development. I was one of the most positive Melo supporters and I did not think he would develop this fast though.

He was like 40% true shooting in Australia. I would've taken him as the Timberwolves but it's definitely revisionist to act like he'd come in shooting this well or that he was some super obvious #1 prospect.

Uh is it revisionist if you had him obviously #1 and published it before the Draft? :lol:

What's disingenuous is to act like nobody had him #1.

Return to NBA Draft