Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#301 » by nolang1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:The problem is most people stopped watching Melo after Lonzo. If you actually watched him every step of the way and especially his growth in Australia, this was a likely consequence of his development. I was one of the most positive Melo supporters and I did not think he would develop this fast though.

He was like 40% true shooting in Australia. I would've taken him as the Timberwolves but it's definitely revisionist to act like he'd come in shooting this well or that he was some super obvious #1 prospect.

Uh is it revisionist if you had him obviously #1 and published it before the Draft? :lol:

What's disingenuous is to act like nobody had him #1.

Where did I say that? Learn to read, I'm obviously referring to the assertion that it was a 'likely consequence of his development' to go from 25% on threes in Australia to 36% so far as a rookie and be this successful out of the gate. Obviously this draft was regarded as not very strong and there's also a major difference between having him #1 and thinking he was going to be a Zion or Luka type of prospect who was head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#302 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:the warriors should have went with neither, and Wiseman was not a "fit" pick, they thought Wiseman was the BPA pick, he's actually a terrible fit on the Warriors.

Reminder Clyde had LaMelo #18 in the 2020 Draft.

You don't need to remind anyone big guy my BB is posted for everyone to see
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#303 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:33 pm

I’ll be happy to be wrong just because I want the Hornets to succeed. So far so good for a 3rd pick with an underdeveloped body for sure. Plenty to be happy about.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#304 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 am

nolang1 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:The problem is most people stopped watching Melo after Lonzo. If you actually watched him every step of the way and especially his growth in Australia, this was a likely consequence of his development. I was one of the most positive Melo supporters and I did not think he would develop this fast though.

He was like 40% true shooting in Australia. I would've taken him as the Timberwolves but it's definitely revisionist to act like he'd come in shooting this well or that he was some super obvious #1 prospect.

Well, he was the obvious #1 for a lot of people.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#305 » by prime1time » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am

prime1time wrote:I think LaMelo has a chance to be special. Watching that ESPN video was fascinating. The shooting percentages are not good, but I think Teams are going to have to get him in the gym and figure out how good the stroke really is. When the ESPN guy asked him about his shot selection he said that he feels confident taking those far-out shots so he does. That just tells you how little real coaching this guy has had.

He needs to learn that even though he might think he can make them, he doesn't need to take them. You improve his shot-selection, put him in a structured system that still allows for his freedom and creativity on the basketball court and the kid has a chance to be special. If everything works out, Ball has a chance to be a generational talent. His ball-handling, passing and knack for creating passing angles is unmatched. There are only a couple guys in the NBA right now that comes close to his combination of those 3 skills.

But if his shooting form needs to be completely overhauled, there is no telling what will come out on the next side. When he shoots 3's, it seems as if his off hand is putting spin on the ball. If that's the case his jumper is going to need to be reconstructed. And seeing how valuable shooting is, as good as his other skills might be, if his shooting is MKG level (worst case scenario) there really isn't a place for him having a major role.

In short, LaMelo is the ultimate boom/bust prospect. If a team believes in his passion and commitment to the game and in his ability to refine his jumper and become a knockdown shooter they should take him. Because he will be one of the faces of the NBA for the next 10-15 years. But if he refuses to adjust his shot attempts and cannot refine his jumper he'll end up being a slightly flashier version of Michael Carter Williams.

Well, here we are. The jumper is starting to fall and everything else will fall into place. I read a lot of terrible takes on here. Posters should spend just as much time talking about why they got it right or wrong with a prospect as they do analyzing new prospects. Way too many posters analyze prospects in terms of absolutes. The reality is we do not know what these kids can develop into. It's a sad truth, but a lot of the analysis on here is reflective more on the person writing it, than on the actual player it's about. This was my analysis of LaMelo then, and I stand by it now.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#306 » by nolang1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 am

MemphisX wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Well, he was the obvious #1 for a lot of people.

Not as obvious for as many people as Luka or Zion were, and even the poster above me bragging about how he got it ‘right’ with LaMelo is citing a post that doesn’t really say much besides “well he could be really good or bad.” You’d think that in those circumstances where a player starts his career shooting and finishing drastically better than he ever had before, the reaction would be more one of pleasant surprise than “duh it was so obvious.”
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#307 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:33 am

If he wasn't obvious at #1 he shoulda been damn well obvious at #2. lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#308 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:50 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't like anything about this guy's game. No fundamentals, no IQ, his defensive IQ is a negative, and he has an ugly and broken jump shot just like his brother.

The only good thing I can say about they guy is that he has good height and is a willing passer.

His jump shot is just really bad, like on the same level bad as RJ Barrett and Lonzo Ball bad.

On defense, he doesn't try and he doesn't care, even though he has long arms and decent athleticism.

One thing that stands out for me is that he really gives no effort during the game. The only time he gives effort is when he has the ball in his hands, but if he is playing off ball, you never see him working or hustling. I watched a few games and I was trying to see how many times Melo would sprint or dive for a loose ball, or help set a pick on a back screen and I didn't see any hustle from the guy at any point.

Being sincere here, just wondering if you've updated your thoughts on Melo at this point?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#309 » by Upperclass » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:19 am

EvanZ wrote:If he wasn't obvious at #1 he shoulda been damn well obvious at #2. lol

To some of us
viewtopic.php?p=87085977#p87085977
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#310 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:27 am

Upperclass wrote:
EvanZ wrote:If he wasn't obvious at #1 he shoulda been damn well obvious at #2. lol

To some of us
viewtopic.php?p=87085977#p87085977

Yeah unfortunately Lacob got his man.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#311 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 3, 2021 10:06 am

Lacob wanted a franchise Center which is the biggest oxymoron in sports history even if Jokic exists to break it apparently
HouseOfLight
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#312 » by HouseOfLight » Wed Mar 3, 2021 2:51 pm

I still don’t like this kids upside personally. We’ll see but I don’t think he’s going to do any real damage in the league long term. He will have some nice stats but I don’t think it’ll lead to anything. Still say Patrick ‘The Paw’ Williams & Poku have the highest long term upsides from this draft, especially as two way players. It’s too early to say anything tho
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,014

Post#313 » by Trey24 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:09 pm

HouseOfLight wrote:I still don’t like this kids upside personally. We’ll see but I don’t think he’s going to do any real damage in the league long term. He will have some nice stats but I don’t think it’ll lead to anything. Still say Patrick ‘The Paw’ Williams & Poku have the highest long term upsides from this draft, especially as two way players. It’s too early to say anything tho

Well Lamelo is doing real damage to the league right now......... so you probably haven't actually watched him play a game is what I am guessing.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#314 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:44 pm

They took Wiseman because he was an elite dinner party talent.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HouseOfLight
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#315 » by HouseOfLight » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:04 pm

Trey24 wrote:
HouseOfLight wrote:I still don’t like this kids upside personally. We’ll see but I don’t think he’s going to do any real damage in the league long term. He will have some nice stats but I don’t think it’ll lead to anything. Still say Patrick ‘The Paw’ Williams & Poku have the highest long term upsides from this draft, especially as two way players. It’s too early to say anything tho

Well Lamelo is doing real damage to the league right now......... so you probably haven't actually watched him play a game is what I am guessing.

The hornets are @ .471, he’s not doing anything to the league. They’re about where youd expect them to be after the Hayward signing.

He makes some exciting plays & has put up some good #s for a rookie. However, his style of play is too freewheeling & sloppy to be sustained, and I don’t trust his defense to ever truly come around, at least not without his offensive production taking a huge hit. It’s way too early to say anything anyways, but a Doncic type prospect, he is most certainly not, and I don’t think for one second that anyone will look back at this (overall poor) draft class & be saying that this guy was the best of the lot
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,014

Post#316 » by Trey24 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:11 pm

HouseOfLight wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

The hornets are @ .471, he’s not doing anything to the league. They’re about where youd expect them to be after the Hayward signing.

He makes some exciting plays & has put up some good #s for a rookie. However, his style of play is too freewheeling & sloppy to be sustained, and I don’t trust his defense to ever truly come around, at least not without his offensive production taking a huge hit. It’s way too early to say anything anyways, but a Doncic type prospect, he is most certainly not, and I don’t think for one second that anyone will look back at this (overall poor) draft class & be saying that this guy was the best of the lot

You just expanded on my point that you haven't watched a single one of his games. He has averaged 20.8 pts, 6.3 rebounds and 6.7 assists since becoming a starter on 45% from the field and 40.7% from 3. Hornets are 7-7 with him starting while Cody Zeller, Devonte Graham, Terry Rozier, Gordon Hayward, PJ Washington and both Martin Twins have all missed time during that stretch.

He is the floor general and LEADER of this Hornets team, and oh by the way he is also the best player on the team and that really isn't up for debate.

Please watch a game before trying to trash talk a guy you box score watch. I KNOW you don't watch the games, because if you did, you wouldn't be putting out this blasphemy.

BTW, his #s since starting are better than Rookie Luka's numbers, better shooting percentages too!
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#317 » by Upperclass » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:12 pm

Tbh imo..what I'm seeing is that he's a better prospect (top end) than Doncic. He won't have to rely on pushoffs and free throws to get clutch buckets.. will probably be a better shooter from distance, is far more athletic/quick, a better defender, with similar clutchness, better vision, and similar rebounding
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#318 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:02 pm

Fischella wrote:Lacob wanted a franchise Center which is the biggest oxymoron in sports history even if Jokic exists to break it apparently

Joel "not as good as Omer Asik" Embiid is doing pretty well himself. As are the Jazz (best record in the league in case you haven't watched any NBA and only watch draft prospects) who have had Rudy Gobert as their franchise center.

LaMelo can very well end up better than Wiseman on his own merits (especially since his shooting has leveled up) without it having to be some dogmatic thing about position that has been outdated for a few years now.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,705

Post#319 » by KembaWalker » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:26 am

HouseOfLight wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

What a load of garbage lmao. Anyone who watched and single game from him in the last 6 weeks would know that this is all complete fabrication written by someone who really doesn't wanna eat his crow
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#320 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:57 pm

HouseOfLight wrote: It’s way too early to say anything anyways, but a Doncic type prospect, he is most certainly not, and I don’t think for one second that anyone will look back at this (overall poor) draft class & be saying that this guy was the best of the lot

His stats are on par with Doncic in his rookie season.

Return to NBA Draft