LaMelo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#41 » by prime1time » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:34 am

If you read the Bleacher Report article, he states that he's shooting 600 shots a day. And for the last year and a half, he's been tweaking his jumpshot. His situation is just so unique. Can anyone recall a player that shot 3's at such a high volume and had such a low percentage? Like MKG and Simmons have broken forms, but they also don't shoot. LaMelo on the other hand, shoots all the time. Like he literally has no conscience when it comes to his attempts. The lack of data points on a player like Melo who is high volume low pct simple creates a ton of unpredictability.

Another interesting factor about Melo is that his floater is one-handed and is pretty solid. Currently he's shooting 73% from the ft line (72.7%) and 24% from 3 on 6.2 attempts. You could argue that he improves his shot selection and that could jump up to the mid 30s. At the same time, a bad form would prevent him from becoming an elite shooter. It'll be interesting to see how his shooting stats progress through out the season.
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#42 » by detlef_schrempf » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:01 am

People hate on LaVar Ball but if it weren’t for him, LaMelo wouldn’t even be sniffing the first round of the draft, and would probably not get drafted. This dude has no shot at being a solid NBA player.
DO THE DEW!
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#43 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 am

The Box Office wrote:Wow. The OP, Atlantabbq, just roasted LaMelo Ball. Pure hate. He didn't post one positive thing about the kid. It's just all negativity. I bet OP hates LaVar Ball and just projected his hate onto LaMelo.

"No effort" on the court?? Wow. Then why is the kid even playing basketball in the first place, OP?

I wish one of them would prove me wrong with their play (or stats).
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,373

Post#44 » by The Box Office » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:40 am

detlef_schrempf wrote:People hate on LaVar Ball but if it weren’t for him, LaMelo wouldn’t even be sniffing the first round of the draft, and would probably not get drafted. This dude has no shot at being a solid NBA player.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. No shot? Like, zero percent chance of being a solid NBA player? Mathematically impossible? I'm curious. What makes you feel that way about LaMelo?

There's a flip side to that coin regarding LaVar Ball.

People can EASILY feel: "Hey screw LaVar Ball. He overrated his son, Lonzo, and he runs his mouth too much. We're not paying attention to his other kid, LaMelo."

LaVar can be a deterrent for LaMelo. I'm sure THAT really happened. And it still does. But see, for me, that's where they screwed up. They went with their emotions instead of logically examining LaMelo.

Posters here still bring up LaMelo's bad defense and efforts, like you, OP.

Truth is: most prospects are terrible at defense. I see LaMelo's defensive weaknesses, too. Sometimes I question his efforts as well. I'm not fooled though. Of course, LaMelo HAS to improve in those areas. That can be improved. Prospects have improved on defense.

Look at Derrick Rose. Especially under Tom Thibs. He looked like a world class defender. During Rose's rookie year, Derrick was bad.

As long as LaMelo has the fire to keep getting better and the right personnel are coaching him, he'll be fine. I see LaMelo as the number one pick. My thoughts can change on this though if I see a rapid decline or some kind of ACL/MCL tear.

ESPN and numerous pro scouts are hyping him up. Yeah, that's not a mistake. Links to check out:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-james-wiseman-is-no-1-but-lamelo-ball-cole-anthony-anthony-edwards-also-candidates/

[url][/url]

Yes, LaMelo is under more scrutiny because of his dad. Those NBA scouts examine a lot of things thoroughly such as talking to his opponents, his teammates, trainers, and coaches. They watch LaMelo's games in its' entirety in real time instead of relying on Youtube highlights.

A lot of those guys were haters, but changed their feelings. This kid has no shot of being a solid NBA player? Okay. More power to you.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#45 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 am

The Box Office wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:People hate on LaVar Ball but if it weren’t for him, LaMelo wouldn’t even be sniffing the first round of the draft, and would probably not get drafted. This dude has no shot at being a solid NBA player.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. No shot? Like, zero percent chance of being a solid NBA player? Mathematically impossible? I'm curious. What makes you feel that way about LaMelo?

There's a flip side to that coin regarding LaVar Ball.

People can EASILY feel: "Hey screw LaVar Ball. He overrated his son, Lonzo, and he runs his mouth too much. We're not paying attention to his other kid, LaMelo."

LaVar can be a deterrent for LaMelo. I'm sure THAT really happened. And it still does. But see, for me, that's where they screwed up. They went with their emotions instead of logically examining LaMelo.

Posters here still bring up LaMelo's bad defense and efforts, like you, OP.

Truth is: most prospects are terrible at defense. I see LaMelo's defensive weaknesses, too. Sometimes I question his efforts as well. I'm not fooled though. Of course, LaMelo HAS to improve in those areas. That can be improved. Prospects have improved on defense.

Look at Derrick Rose. Especially under Tom Thibs. He looked like a world class defender. During Rose's rookie year, Derrick was bad.

As long as LaMelo has the fire to keep getting better and the right personnel are coaching him, he'll be fine. I see LaMelo as the number one pick. My thoughts can change on this though if I see a rapid decline or some kind of ACL/MCL tear.

ESPN and numerous pro scouts are hyping him up. Yeah, that's not a mistake. Links to check out:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-james-wiseman-is-no-1-but-lamelo-ball-cole-anthony-anthony-edwards-also-candidates/

[url][/url]

Yes, LaMelo is under more scrutiny because of his dad. Those NBA scouts examine a lot of things thoroughly such as talking to his opponents, his teammates, trainers, and coaches. They watch LaMelo's games in its' entirety in real time instead of relying on Youtube highlights.

A lot of those guys were haters, but changed their feelings. This kid has no shot of being a solid NBA player? Okay. More power to you.

Why are you so hung up on Lavar? You are the only one who is bring it up. Everybody is talking about LaMelo's poor stats and poor play. You are the only one here that really cares about Lavar, which has nothing to do with LaMelo's stats or poor shooting mechanics.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#46 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Regardless of all the hype coming from US sports media and people like Givony, Bell's stats for the Australian League's level, and especially for the level of his team (the worst in the league) are not that good.

That type of production, in the worst team in NBL......I doubt if he could even make the rotation of a decent EuroCup / FIBA Champions League (level below EuroLeague) team. He certainly wouldn't see the floor in EuroLeague, being at that level.

Then again, he's a slashing dunker, a 3 point chucker with high volume and low efficiency, and plays no defense. So perfect for NBA "talent evaluators" - just what they covet.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#47 » by crows2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Regardless of all the hype coming from US sports media and people like Givony, Bell's stats for the Australian League's level, and especially for the level of his team (the worst in the league) are not that good.

That type of production, in the worst team in NBL......I doubt if he could even make the rotation of a decent EuroCup / FIBA Champions League (level below EuroLeague) team. He certainly wouldn't see the floor in EuroLeague, being at that level.

Then again, he's a slashing dunker, a 3 point chucker with high volume and low efficiency, and plays no defense. So perfect for NBA "talent evaluators" - just what they covet.

Umm apart from his shooting splits, Ball's stats are extremely impressive for an 18 year old in the professional Australian league, which is of a higher standard than most leagues worldwide. For comparison's sake, Terrance Ferguson averaged 4ppg in the NBL before being drafted in the 1st round.

It's not Ball's fault that the Hawks are the worst team in the league. His supporting cast is very poor in comparison to most NBL teams.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#48 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:19 pm

He also might not of had so much smoke blown up his ass and could have had a smoother path to the nba, maybe under a good div 1 coach who wouldn't put up with his crap and could work on his shot.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#49 » by MemphisX » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 am

Melo currently going bonkers...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#50 » by MemphisX » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 am

Read on Twitter
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,202

Post#51 » by brutalitops » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am

He's finally getting comfortable in the league. IMO he's going to start having some monster games because he's figured out how to play against grown men.
Schiltzenberger
Junior
And1: 394

Post#52 » by Schiltzenberger » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 am

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#53 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:17 pm

His ball-handling is Kyrie level. And his passing is top 5. That game shows you what happens when the shot goes in. He's nearly an unstoppable force. But the key for me was his 3-point shot at 30 seconds. Look at the form. He's already started to adjust his shot. This is #1 pick in the draft caliber play.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#54 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:11 pm

That should break the shooting slump. Will be interesting to see his shooting splits from tonight onwards.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#55 » by King Ken » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:54 pm

While I have him tier 2 with Wiseman and Anthony which is the same as R.J. and Ja. I think Ball has the lowest floor of five tier 5 guys but the highest ceiling. This guy could challenge Trae as the best true PG in the NBA one day
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#56 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Lamelo does not have Kyrie handles stop lol
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#57 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:26 pm

King Ken wrote:While I have him tier 2 with Wiseman and Anthony which is the same as R.J. and Ja. I think Ball has the lowest floor of five tier 5 guys but the highest ceiling. This guy could challenge Trae as the best true PG in the NBA one day

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#58 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm

prime1time wrote:His ball-handling is Kyrie level. And his passing is top 5. That game shows you what happens when the shot goes in. He's nearly an unstoppable force. But the key for me was his 3-point shot at 30 seconds. Look at the form. He's already started to adjust his shot. This is #1 pick in the draft caliber play.

I wouldn't put his handling at Kyrie level, but I'd still draft him top 5 for his passing and his age. Maybe I'm just getting old, but compared to other prospects I can remember, a disproportionate amount of his getting to the rim seems to be reliant on not getting called for carrying.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#59 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:13 pm

King Ken wrote:While I have him tier 2 with Wiseman and Anthony which is the same as R.J. and Ja. I think Ball has the lowest floor of five tier 5 guys but the highest ceiling. This guy could challenge Trae as the best true PG in the NBA one day

I could see LaMelo having a similar game to Trae. Wouldn't imagine better at this stage, Trae looked better at the same age.

But one advantage Melo could have is the rebounding and run game, which seems to be a very effective strategy in today's NBA.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#60 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:22 pm

i get people like LaMelo because of the size/ball skills combo, but we're still talking about a primarily on-ball guard that struggles with decision making, is a hot-cold scorer, has no off-ball game and is bad on defense, he has a long way to go before he projects as a + on the NBA level...even Trae who's one of the best scorers/playmakers in the NBA struggles in terms of impact because of his bad defense and no off-ball game, and I actually trust Trae's 3 level scoring game and playmaking more so than I do LaMelo's.

he's probably lotto guy because this lotto class is meh but i'm not really sold on the archetype

Return to NBA Draft