Obi Toppin/Dayton Flyers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Obi Toppin/Dayton Flyers 

Post#1 » by shakes0 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Does this guy deserve his own thread? Jay Bilas repeatedly called him a guaranteed top 10 pick in the draft next spring.

He dominated Georgia yesterday. Late bloomer in the Anthony Davis mold in that he had a massive growth spurt late in life. Was 6'2 his junior year of high school and is now 6'9.

I imagine the issue is going to be his age. He turns 22 in March. That might turn off the same stupid teams that passed on Brandon Clarke this year.

Or maybe Clarke's success will cause teams to think twice before passing on Toppin?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Obi Toppin/Dayton Flyers 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:46 pm

He is nowhere near Brandon Clarke on defense, to me he is more Trez Harrell with less suddenness/quicks but potentially a face-up game

Interesting 3rd big, I don't see him as a starter with his limitations on D and he is def not a PF
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm

called him a super sleeper in last year's draft if he declared, he's good, i think late 1st type, but he's definitely not as good as Clarke.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by shakes0 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:called him a super sleeper in last year's draft if he declared, he's good, i think late 1st type, but he's definitely not as good as Clarke.

I'm only comparing him to Clarke as an over aged player who looks really good, but might see his draft stock fall undeservingly a bit due to age.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:32 pm

shakes0 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:called him a super sleeper in last year's draft if he declared, he's good, i think late 1st type, but he's definitely not as good as Clarke.

I'm only comparing him to Clarke as an over aged player who looks really good, but might see his draft stock fall undeservingly a bit due to age.

yea for sure, age is definitely always a question mark, but by the same token look at how much higher Cam Johnson went than everyone thought and he was a 5th year senior

all it takes is one team to fall in love with the player
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#6 » by King Ken » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

clyde21 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

yea for sure, age is definitely always a question mark, but by the same token look at how much higher Cam Johnson went than everyone thought and he was a 5th year senior

all it takes is one team to fall in love with the player

In this draft, that's possible too
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 am

shakes0 wrote:Does this guy deserve his own thread? Jay Bilas repeatedly called him a guaranteed top 10 pick in the draft next spring.

He dominated Georgia yesterday. Late bloomer in the Anthony Davis mold in that he had a massive growth spurt late in life. Was 6'2 his junior year of high school and is now 6'9.

I imagine the issue is going to be his age. He turns 22 in March. That might turn off the same stupid teams that passed on Brandon Clarke this year.

Or maybe Clarke's success will cause teams to think twice before passing on Toppin?

didn't stop PHO from taking CAM Johnson for his elite shooting ability way higher than projected...
I think teams are starting to look more for sure things than upside based at least when elite ceiling upside options are already gone.
I could see him being a late lottery pick but without a massive success story in the big dance or something he will not be a lottery pick but the A10 is good so who knows...right now I say no
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by shakes0 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Jamaal, did you go to Dayton? You must be really excited for this season, the team looks great. Hope they beat Kansas today.

I'm pretty excited as well for this year as a DePaul guy. 7-0, our best start since 1986. Came back down 18 at the half last night to beat Central Michigan.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#10 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:40 am

He is kinda like Derrick Williams with better IQ and hopefully shooting
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,425

Post#11 » by azcatz11 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am

Fischella wrote:He is kinda like Derrick Williams with better IQ and hopefully shooting

That's funny - in my group text someone said the same comp.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#12 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:37 am

Not as talented, but looks like a young Shareef Abdur Raheem to me.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Big issue with Toppin Ian he can’t handle the ball, he can’t post up in the in the NBA right now. More likely a roleplayer in the nba. Maybe not though, he has great size and is a pretty good passer. Could be a modern starting 4.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Keep in mind he's super old. He'll be 22 in March.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:08 pm

EvanZ wrote:Keep in mind he's super old. He'll be 22 in March.

He’s a solid late first, age doesn’t mean much to me anymore
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:31 pm

doordoor123 wrote:

Where would you have him if he was a 19-year old Freshman?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I don’t think I’ve decided what he is yet because he has some really nice flashes. I’ll keep an eye on him the rest of the season. Three things I’m keeping an eye on: his passing, shooting off the dribble and defending other prospects. Because if he can check all those boxes consistently I could be overlooking him. He just didn’t have any of this stuff last year so it’s a bit jarring. I’m really liking his confidence though and the types of shots he’s taking. That’ll be a big key for him to translate his success in the NBA. I also wonder how successful he would be without being the focal point of the offense. In the NBA he won’t be a focal point, Will he revert to the player he was last year? Or will he have the confidence to do what he’s doing now? Those are the keys. If he was doing this as a freshman he would for sure be a lottery pick, but we’ve known about him so the question becomes why hasn’t he been like this? Did working out with NBA teams help him that much? Look what happened with Chandler Hutchison after he worked out with teams. Had a great final year and lost his confidence in the NBA. So I just wonder who were going to get in the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 1, 2019 5:37 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I don’t think I’ve decided what he is yet because he has some really nice flashes. I’ll keep an eye on him the rest of the season. Three things I’m keeping an eye on: his passing, shooting off the dribble and defending other prospects. Because if he can check all those boxes consistently I could be overlooking him. He just didn’t have any of this stuff last year so it’s a bit jarring. I’m really liking his confidence though and the types of shots he’s taking. That’ll be a big key for him to translate his success in the NBA. I also wonder how successful he would be without being the focal point of the offense. In the NBA he won’t be a focal point, Will he revert to the player he was last year? Or will he have the confidence to do what he’s doing now? Those are the keys. If he was doing this as a freshman he would for sure be a lottery pick, but we’ve known about him so the question becomes why hasn’t he been like this? Did working out with NBA teams help him that much? Look what happened with Chandler Hutchison after he worked out with teams. Had a great final year and lost his confidence in the NBA. So I just wonder who were going to get in the NBA.

I mean honestly he hasn't taken *that* much of a leap statistically. He's shooting more 3's. That is not surprising from a guy who got feedback from NBA teams. Other than that, given the small sample size, not much has changed. If you had him second round last year (as I did) I don't see that he's that much more enticing this year to be honest.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#19 » by The-Power » Sun Dec 1, 2019 6:28 pm

EvanZ wrote:I mean honestly he hasn't taken *that* much of a leap statistically. He's shooting more 3's. That is not surprising from a guy who got feedback from NBA teams. Other than that, given the small sample size, not much has changed. If you had him second round last year (as I did) I don't see that he's that much more enticing this year to be honest.

He's not a fundamentally different player but nonetheless progressed. He increased his scoring volume considerably while improving already elite efficiency. His FTr is way up as is his FT%, and of course he now gives teams an opportunity to see that he can hit 3's reliably. That would be quite a bit of improvement if sustained. Especially considering that the SRS thus far has been quite a bit higher.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 1, 2019 7:47 pm

He didn’t have the handle or passing ability he has this year, he also seems to have a softer touch around the rim. Last year he would shoot spot ups, cut and dunk. The way he’s playing is different.

Return to NBA Draft