Obi Toppin/Dayton Flyers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Re: Obi Toppin/Dayton Flyers 

Post#41 » by jambalaya » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:04 pm

My impression so far is that Toppin should be no worse than a 10th-15th pick. Possibly higher if a team does not like the other highly touted options as much. Getting him below 15 would seem a boon.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#42 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:04 pm

Obi is gonna look like he belongs on day one.
It has been written...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:20 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Obi is gonna look like he belongs on day one.

jambalaya wrote:My impression so far is that Toppin should be no worse than a 10th-15th pick. Possibly higher if a team does not like the other highly touted options as much. Getting him below 15 would seem a boon.

Yeah, I've seen the guy up close a few times this year. Dude is legit.

Probably not a star, but likely a starter somewhere in the realm of John Collins or Kyle Kuzma.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#44 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:54 am

Wanted to start the thread "Obi Toppin, real name no gimmick" but I missed my chance. Oh well.

This guy is good.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#45 » by MemphisX » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 am

He is getting Amare comps now. The good and the bad of it.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#46 » by TheScout31 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 pm

The-Power wrote:Am I the only one concerned about his poor defensive awareness and timing, and that the way he moves and makes plays looks very robotic and just not natural at all? I'm particularly concerned that on defense (and to a lesser extent on offense), it seems that he doesn't notice much that isn't immediately in his view. Leads to some pretty ugly defensive possessions where he is positioned to help but just doesn't rotate at all or way too late.

He's just a bad defender. The film is pretty damning, but he's allowing near 50% around the rim as a primary / secondary defender and 40%+ from 3, IIRC. These aren't the poor Synergy defensive shooting metrics, either - these are *way* better.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#47 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:54 am

MemphisX wrote:He is getting Amare comps now. The good and the bad of it.

I'd take that from this draft. Amar'e didn't play defense at a time when everyone did. Now hardly anyone does.

He made the All-Star team 6 times in his career, 4 times as a center and 2 as a PF. If Toppin can bulk up he may be able to play 4/5 at a time when the NBA is trending away from traditional centers.

The best team in the NBA has a center who can drain threes. Hassan Whiteside probably won't get signed by an elite team.
It has been written...
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#48 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm

He is a lot like Kenyon Martin to me. But with much worse defense. I don't think he is going to be better than a replacement level PF or nice bench scorer. I just don't trust guys who don't play two ways as top-10 picks unless they are unbelievable shooters.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#49 » by No-Man » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:16 pm

He is Derrick Williams with better shooting/IQ

not my comp, not sure who made it before but just don't wanna get the credit

I think he is fine as a top20 guy in this class, top10 I can't get there, his defensive short-comings are too obvious
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 489

Post#50 » by JDJ26 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:11 am

Since the Suns will be in the lottery again they need to go after this guy. PF is a huge weakness for the team and Toppin would fill a need.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#51 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:24 pm

He needs to be a top 3 pick.

GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#52 » by GameBredAPBT » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:19 am

Wow

What’re the chances that that he actually goes top 3? When’s the last time a player has put on a performance like that in college on a really good team like Dayton? He is amazing. Where was this player over the past three yrs?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#53 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am

High chances he goes top5
King Ken
General Manager

Post#54 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:05 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:Wow

What’re the chances that that he actually goes top 3? When’s the last time a player has put on a performance like that in college on a really good team like Dayton? He is amazing. Where was this player over the past three yrs?

It depends on the team. In a class like this where their is no clear tier 1-3 player, just three tier 3.5 players and he's one of them, I think chances are high. For example, if I am the Pistons, I would pass on Edwards for Toppin. If I am the Warriors, I am going Toppin over Wiseman.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#55 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Fischella wrote:He is nowhere near Brandon Clarke on defense, to me he is more Trez Harrell with less suddenness/quicks but potentially a face-up game

Interesting 3rd big, I don't see him as a starter with his limitations on D and he is def not a PF

Why do you say definitely not a PF?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

King Ken wrote:

It depends on the team. In a class like this where their is no clear tier 1-3 player, just three tier 3.5 players and he's one of them, I think chances are high. For example, if I am the Pistons, I would pass on Edwards for Toppin. If I am the Warriors, I am going Toppin over Wiseman.

It only works once Kingken. You can't find the sleeper twice. Are you crazy with these statements? Passing on Edward's and Wiseman for a 22yr old.

Toppin is more what Atlanta should draft to shore up thier bench behind Collins. Pf solved for a decade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager

Post#58 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:

It only works once Kingken. You can't find the sleeper twice. Are you crazy with these statements? Passing on Edward's and Wiseman for a 22yr old.

Toppin is more what Atlanta should draft to shore up thier bench behind Collins. Pf solved for a decade.

Toppin is a monster though. I think you are severely underrating him offensively.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 pm

King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:It depends on the team. In a class like this where their is no clear tier 1-3 player, just three tier 3.5 players and he's one of them, I think chances are high. For example, if I am the Pistons, I would pass on Edwards for Toppin. If I am the Warriors, I am going Toppin over Wiseman.

Toppin is a monster though. I think you are severely underrating him offensively.

No I believe you. I like Toppin alot. I just think at his age you gotta be careful of the Michael Beasley effect. Hes a great scorer at this level and a decent rebounder. He can step out. I just dont thibk a team looking for thier star for the next decade should be looking at him. And thats why I like him for Atlanta.

Hes got a high floor, probably will produce right away but I dont see his cieling being nuch higher. A team like Atlanta got all thier high potential in the last 3 drafts, now it might be time to get thag plug and play guy regardless of the upside. Thats not to say hes got no potebtial but hes just closer to the max than other prospects
King Ken
General Manager

Post#60 » by King Ken » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

No I believe you. I like Toppin alot. I just think at his age you gotta be careful of the Michael Beasley effect. Hes a great scorer at this level and a decent rebounder. He can step out. I just dont thibk a team looking for thier star for the next decade should be looking at him. And thats why I like him for Atlanta.

Hes got a high floor, probably will produce right away but I dont see his cieling being nuch higher. A team like Atlanta got all thier high potential in the last 3 drafts, now it might be time to get thag plug and play guy regardless of the upside. Thats not to say hes got no potebtial but hes just closer to the max than other prospects

I don't see it for Atlanta as Montrezl Harrell needs to be our top target. We need legit veterans who can play big minutes and we need to draft where FA depth is weak which for us is PG or wing.

I also believe Toppin is a lot better than you may think he is. I think he is a special prospect as an older player. He is still developing at an exceptional rate. He's the most polished prospect in this class and has very good upside. He's not the risk that Ball, Edwards or someone extreme like Wiseman is either.

Return to NBA Draft