Saddiq Bey - Villanova

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Saddiq Bey - Villanova 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 am

I think he is a guy that has entered himself into the 2020 1st round conversation. Draft is weak in 6'6+ wings that can shoot and he is having a great shooting season. He should be monitored from here on out.

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Saddiq Bey - Villanova 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 pm

probably I mean he is killing it this season
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:41 pm

he's been really good, just don't really see anything more than a 2nd unit rotation guy in the NBA tho tbh, not really a great athlete or a great handle, he's shooting okay but his shot is kinda awkward and doesn't have a lot of versatility to it, he looks like he should be a better defender but isn't

he's improved a lot though so he probably works super hard you can't count these guys out, but at this point he's kinda just a guy to me, he could go in the 1st because wings that can hit some 3s are at a premium but that's about it for me at this point.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#4 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 8:44 pm

Maybe because he isn't really a wing. He's a 4 that can shoot and at the next level.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#5 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 am

Watched some highlight videos of him today and I'm intrigued. I can see what Clyde is saying about him not being super agile at the 3, but is it insane to get some slower Rui Hachiumra vibes from him?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 am

Not athletic, have very limited moves but has a very high IQ and has good size for a SF/SG. He looks like a Spurs type of player. At best he could be a solid #5 on a championship team. His peak could be the Heat version of Shane Battier or the Mavs version of Shawn Marion, which is a 3D, 10ppg, 38% from three, and few to no bonehead plays.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#7 » by Buzzard » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:41 am

I like him and think he is one of the sleepers in the draft. He plays hard defense and can shoot. The only thing that takes him out of being a Schlenk like pick, should the Hawks trade down, is his handles.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#8 » by getrichordie » Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 pm

This is a good example of how Saddiq Bey’s stock has risen above his actual prospects. Probably because of his 3-pt shooting. And I’m pretty low on his ability to hit 3s in the NBA. Hasn’t shown deep range.

Positional versatility has been listed as a strength by a few draft sites, which I can’t see.

At best Bey is a low-level starting 4 who can stretch floor but is meh on defense.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat May 30, 2020 12:25 am

getrichordie wrote:This is a good example of how Saddiq Bey’s stock has risen above his actual prospects. Probably because of his 3-pt shooting. And I’m pretty low on his ability to hit 3s in the NBA. Hasn’t shown deep range.

Positional versatility has been listed as a strength by a few draft sites, which I can’t see.

At best Bey is a low-level starting 4 who can stretch floor but is meh on defense.

I think his stock has risen because he has a relatively high floor. He shoots well, he moves the ball well, he limits his turnovers, doesn't get too crazy or try to do too much. Sets his driving game up by being a shooting threat, just has a couple dependable moves but is strong enough to get to his spots and can pull up in mid-range if necessary, to me it looks stylistically very much like what you want in an NBA role player.

A 6'8 player (although he plays small, kind of a 6'8 player like Rodney Hood is a 6'8 player) who can shoot and play within a team just has a spot in the NBA, though I agree I don't see him as a 40% shooter at the next level or being a particularly good individual defender. So a playoff team looking for just a solid safe bench contributor could do worse with a pick in the 20's.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#10 » by getrichordie » Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
getrichordie wrote:This is a good example of how Saddiq Bey’s stock has risen above his actual prospects. Probably because of his 3-pt shooting. And I’m pretty low on his ability to hit 3s in the NBA. Hasn’t shown deep range.

I think his stock has risen because he has a relatively high floor. He shoots well, he moves the ball well, he limits his turnovers, doesn't get too crazy or try to do too much. Sets his driving game up by being a shooting threat, just has a couple dependable moves but is strong enough to get to his spots and can pull up in mid-range if necessary, to me it looks stylistically very much like what you want in an NBA role player.

A 6'8 player (although he plays small, kind of a 6'8 player like Rodney Hood is a 6'8 player) who can shoot and play within a team just has a spot in the NBA, though I agree I don't see him as a 40% shooter at the next level or being a particularly good individual defender. So a playoff team looking for just a solid safe bench contributor could do worse with a pick in the 20's.

Yeah, I think I have him late 20s on my board. I agree with you that he projects to be a solid bench 4 who might be able to situationally moonlight as a 3. It’s one thing to play the 3 in college and another thing to play the 3 at the next level.

Don’t see him doing much on drives.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#11 » by JamesConway » Sat May 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Depending on how the NBA decides to resume the season I am hopeful that he might be there in our range (DAL currently has the #18 pick).

6'8, high IQ, good shooter, decent team defender? Sounds like a wing/forward-version of Jalen Brunson to me. He won't become a superstar, but that's a really nice player to have. DAL has a huge need for wings/forwards. I'd love him on our roster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:12 pm

Cam Johnson was picked 11th last draft (at age 23). How does He compare to Saddiq Bey?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:06 pm

i mean you never know who would fall in love with him all it takes is one team to pull the trigger but Johnson had one of the nicest Js in years at 6-6, that's pretty much the only reason he went 11th
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:14 am

clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 am

what makes Saddiq a 3-D? he hasn't at any point in time in his college career been a + defensive player

maybe he can get there, but I don't know how u can call him that at this point, let alone an 'ideal' 3+D
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:23 am

People just believe whatever a big name puts out about a player. People don’t know how to think on their own anymore so they choose safe takes rather than trying to form their own.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#17 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:45 am

He is a D guy in the sense that he is big, smooth and coordinated and generally those players are at least neutral on that end, but yeah he isnt driving much defensvie value, much like Tobias Harris for example, he is just a stud shooter when you add in height, that's just valuable

I would not draft him ultra high but you can see how a 6'8 guy with strength who will bomb 3s adds value with Bojan's career
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:55 pm

yea he's big and strong and looks like he should be a + defensively but he's not, not even really neutral at that end and doesn't really force a lot of turnovers, either, Harris coming out was a better defender at 2+ years younger, and he's not exactly setting the league ablaze on that end either

i mean I get it, size + shooting is always gonna be a hot commodity, and he improved a lot from his fs to soph year so the Saddiq we'll see in 4 or 5 years could be completely different than the one we're seeing now, but I don't know if his floor is worth his relatively low ceiling depending on how high he goes

i think 20s is a fine place for him, but when people start talking lotto or even top 20 I'd say ehhhh
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:33 pm

getrichordie wrote:People just believe whatever a big name puts out about a player. People don’t know how to think on their own anymore so they choose safe takes rather than trying to form their own.

You may very well be right, but you've said it a bunch of times, and every time it gets more tiresome.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:39 pm

clyde21 wrote:yea he's big and strong and looks like he should be a + defensively but he's not, not even really neutral at that end and doesn't really force a lot of turnovers, either, Harris coming out was a better defender at 2+ years younger, and he's not exactly setting the league ablaze on that end either

i mean I get it, size + shooting is always gonna be a hot commodity, and he improved a lot from his fs to soph year so the Saddiq we'll see in 4 or 5 years could be completely different than the one we're seeing now, but I don't know if his floor is worth his relatively low ceiling depending on how high he goes

i think 20s is a fine place for him, but when people start talking lotto or even top 20 I'd say ehhhh

Harris was a fat slug in college. Not sure how anyone thought he played good defense back then.

Return to NBA Draft