Killian Hayes, most complete PG of the 2020 class

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Re: Killian Hayes, most complete PG of the 2020 class 

Post#21 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Marcus wrote:Has Killian snuck in as the top PG in the class for anyone yet?

He has snuck in as the top prospect in the class for me. :D
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#22 » by TheScout31 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:45 pm

The-Power wrote:

He has snuck in as the top prospect in the class for me. :D

Yep, he was #1 for me for a couple of weeks, but now he's sharing that title.

Was texting earlier today with a scout who was out in Germany scouting Hayes, among others.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#23 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

It's between him and Ball for me.. just don't have enough info on Lamelo to make a definitive call

Granted I have Anthony Edwards as the highest-ceiling overall prospect , but that's moreso because he has the physical *potential* to guard wings or even some small ball 4s. But as a pure guard prospect I think Hayes is as good as it gets in the class.
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#24 » by TheScout31 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

Illmatic12 wrote:

It's between him and Ball for me.. just don't have enough info on Lamelo to make a definitive call

Granted I have Anthony Edwards as the highest-ceiling overall prospect , but that's moreso because he has the physical *potential* to guard wings or even some small ball 4s. But as a pure guard prospect I think Hayes is as good as it gets in the class.

He’s the other guy there for me. I’m also still high on Cole, but that’s for another thread.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#25 » by GimmeDat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:18 am

Hayes could be anywhere as high as #2 for me right now.. and with Edwards #1, maybe he should be in contention for the top spot as well.

I think I might have Hali 2nd for PG's, then Ball and Anthony just below.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#26 » by remi_222 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:45 pm

How come he's not even in first 2 rounds of the nbadraft.net mock draft ? Is this website usually legit ?
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#27 » by King Ken » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 pm

I still haven't seen him play a full game yet so I got nothing on Hayes
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#28 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:29 pm

remi_222 wrote:How come he's not even in first 2 rounds of the nbadraft.net mock draft ? Is this website usually legit ?

.net has been all over the place this year with their mocks and they're usually behind on international prospects in general if they aren't extremely highly touted.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#29 » by No-Man » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:28 am

I still don't get what some are seeing, he is fine, going to be good but the upside play is just not there and I like him fine, def top20 guy, but nº1 or top3? heck no
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 453

Post#30 » by Smalltown » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:17 pm

I like Hayes a lot. But like with many kids in this years draft he's still a project. He would have been a lot better off (player development wise) slotted late lottery or just outside. Feel like he's going to have much too strong expectations if he goes top 3 - he's not ready to take over a team. Throwing him in to heavy minutes on a bad team is not going to benefit him as a player.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#31 » by remi_222 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:36 pm

Fischella wrote:I still don't get what some are seeing, he is fine, going to be good but the upside play is just not there and I like him fine, def top20 guy, but nº1 or top3? heck no

I don't disagree with you in a sense that top 5 draft pick should be reserved for players that are rare (size, length, physicality, ...etc)
and he isnt in this category.
However he still remains a top player in this draft, i dont expect a team to take him in the top 10.
That shows as well the poorness of this draft class !
Im just being french posting some french player topics all over the place here to satisfy my own person cuz my wife doesnt care AT ALL !!
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#32 » by nolang1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:30 am

Smalltown wrote:I like Hayes a lot. But like with many kids in this years draft he's still a project. He would have been a lot better off (player development wise) slotted late lottery or just outside. Feel like he's going to have much too strong expectations if he goes top 3 - he's not ready to take over a team. Throwing him in to heavy minutes on a bad team is not going to benefit him as a player.

That's not really his problem, this is a weak draft and people just automatically assume top 3 pick = surefire all-star or franchise player. Of the players (especially guards) who could be said to have higher upside, I don't see anyone who would look less awful in heavy minutes on a bad team early on or has real superstar upside in terms of a player who could make a max contract look like a bargain.

If you're considering Hayes, Ball, Edwards, Anthony, Mannion, Maxey, and Hampton to be the top 7 guards in the draft, I don't know if there are too many aspects of the game I'd definitively rank him #1 in (between his form and free throw numbers I'd be most confident in his three-point shooting off the dribble, which is obviously heavily weighted when it comes to lead guard prospects), but he's not below-average in anything while being one of the youngest prospects in the draft who's playing against competition that's better than the NCAA.
Smalltown
Senior

Post#33 » by Smalltown » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm

nolang1 wrote:That's not really his problem

Not his fault. 100%. And i'd never knock a kid for being picked early. Not what i'm trying to say. It could well end up his "problem" though. He's going to be put in a spot that's looking for a guy to step in and contribute right away. I don't think he's anywhere near ready for that and it could hurt is development. We see it all the time in the NBA. Right place, Right player, right time is part of the formula that everyone always over looks when predicting how a player will do out of a draft.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,897

Post#34 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:10 pm

He really does have a mature game. I don't think he has 'top-3 option on a good team' talent but he can be a really solid starter and his skillset, and understanding at a young age of his on court limitations, are really conducive to a 4-5th option high caliber, well rounded starting guard. I think he is at least on Cole Anthony's level. I like him more than Mannion, who I see as a great bench PG to run as the 2nd unit facilitator (His game is ball dominant, and he just isn't good enough to be a starter with that type of usage). Hampton is nothing but a ball of clay to me right now, sorta like a guard version of Nassir Little. I have no faith in Ball and see a Ron Mercer level empty stats guy. Edwards is the better prospect, but he has a low floor and needs to improve his BBall IQ and decision making. There can be a fine line between a Bradley Beal and a Marcus Thornton. Edwards can fall on either side of that coin IMO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Smalltown wrote:
nolang1 wrote:That's not really his problem

Not his fault. 100%. And i'd never knock a kid for being picked early. Not what i'm trying to say. It could well end up his "problem" though. He's going to be put in a spot that's looking for a guy to step in and contribute right away. I don't think he's anywhere near ready for that and it could hurt is development. We see it all the time in the NBA. Right place, Right player, right time is part of the formula that everyone always over looks when predicting how a player will do out of a draft.

I don't see how that's true particular to him moreso than any other prospect in this draft - particularly because I view him as a very mature prospect despite him being so young. For a kid his age, he's got a lot of experience. I think Edwards and Cole are more likely to flop in the NBA than Hayes.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Smalltown
Senior

Post#36 » by Smalltown » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:I don't see how that's true particular to him moreso than any other prospect in this draft - particularly because I view him as a very mature prospect despite him being so young. For a kid his age, he's got a lot of experience. I think Edwards and Cole are more likely to flop in the NBA than Hayes.

It is true for a lot of prospects, across many years of the draft. I'm not saying he's going to be a flop. And i hope he succeeds.

I'm more lamenting about this years draft and how kids who'd usually get more benefit of being a project due to lower draft position are going to be forced into higher expectation roles. I think the same could be said for Edwards and Cole as well - but i agree with you on them.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#37 » by 510TWSS » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:34 am

I like Hayes moreso than most other prospects this year. I could see him being a top 5 pick this year
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#38 » by RiotPunch » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:19 am

He's quickly becoming my favorite prospect this year.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#39 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:58 pm

Might be an option for the Hawks. We need a backup PG. It's pretty much our only long term need and if he has star potential, we can flip him.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#40 » by LuessiT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:I've read there are questions about his shooting, but he looks super confident and its a smooth release. also hits some difficult shots in the clip above and others on youtube. He reminds me of a taller maybe bit more talented version of monte morris.

Whats the big difference between him and maledon to more in the know intl fans? other than their leagues

He's shooting 39% from 3, 90% from the line and has excellent footwork. His shooting is absolutely going to translate. The only question is how much he can speed up his shooting process to create more for himself.

Return to NBA Draft