What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#21 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:33 am

He reminds me in several ways of Caris Levert as a sophomore at Michigan, though he seems to be a more versatile shooter and scorer than Levert was entering the draft.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 17,797
And1: 3,857
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#22 » by Chi town » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 am

I’ve been saying Buddy Hield w D as well.

I see him in the 10-15 range after he shoots it in workouts.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 17,797
And1: 3,857
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#23 » by Chi town » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 am

Catchall wrote:He reminds me in several ways of Caris Levert as a sophomore at Michigan, though he seems to be a more versatile shooter and scorer than Levert was entering the draft.


Lavert always had a handle. Nesmith hasn’t shown any as of yet.
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,858
And1: 1,256
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#24 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 am

I have Nesmiths in my top 5. His ceiling could be Ray Allen, Klay, Booker. His middle would be Buddy, which is a 20ppg scorer on a bad team with little impact.

He is a top 3 guard in th country, along with Edwards, and Haliburton
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,823
And1: 2,319
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#25 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 am

He reminds me of Michael Redd
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
Posts: 793
And1: 192
Joined: Jul 19, 2008
Location: Just South of Rip City

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#26 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:48 pm

Poor man's Terrence Ross in terms of NBA playstyle with some aesthetic and frame similarities to DeAndre Hunter.

Don't trust his IQ, handle, defense or passing to be that interested in him tbh.
Village Idiot
General Manager
Posts: 7,930
And1: 1,126
Joined: Jan 23, 2005
Location: location, location
     

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#27 » by Village Idiot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Best case - Allan Houston if he can improve his dribble drive skills
Likely - Martell Webster - decent complimentary piece. You're happy if he's your 8th man but not if he starts
Worst case- Jon Diebler - end of bench guy, starter in Europe
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,843
And1: 5,079
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#28 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:He reminds me of Michael Redd

Brooks from Memphis as well
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,353
And1: 4,180
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#29 » by Marcus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:29 pm

More Joe Harris or Kyle Korver?

Haven't watched a ton of the kid but all I'm reading in terms of scouting is he can shoot it and do very little else. Is that accurate?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,642
And1: 16,459
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#30 » by GimmeDat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:55 am

I'm a fan. Dude can shoot the hell out of it with prototypical wing size and above average athleticism. I don't think he's a bad defender, decent tools and 'stock' numbers, is pretty active, I think he'll be at least passable on D. Can't do any advanced stuff with his dribble but shouldn't be asked to given his role.

Doesn't have the fluidity in the release, nearly the handle, the passing, etc. to be a Hield type, I don't think he's close to that.

I think Ross is probably the closest comparison I've seen in here so far, but I consider him less 'erratic' - I see Ross as more of a green light, streaky guy, Nesmith seems to slot in as a better complimentary guy in good lineups imo, a more dependable guy.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,566
And1: 3,181
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Middleton might be a reasonable high ceiling hope but it's unlikely he gets there.
Could just as easily be the next John Jenkins
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,642
And1: 16,459
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#32 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 am

Stillwater wrote:Middleton might be a reasonable high ceiling hope but it's unlikely he gets there.
Could just as easily be the next John Jenkins


I did like Jenkins, but he had much lesser physical tools, wasn't a defender, and didn't really contribute outside of shooting. And he absolutely can shoot the ball, he's shot 40% over his GLeague career and has scored the s*** out of it in general down there.

Think he's had a lengthy injury history that's hurt his career as well?

If Nesmith can shoot that well with greater physical tools/positional versatility, somewhat better defense, etc. he's a clearly superior player, imo
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,858
And1: 1,256
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#33 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Middleton might be a reasonable high ceiling hope but it's unlikely he gets there.
Could just as easily be the next John Jenkins


I did like Jenkins, but he had much lesser physical tools, wasn't a defender, and didn't really contribute outside of shooting. And he absolutely can shoot the ball, he's shot 40% over his GLeague career and has scored the s*** out of it in general down there.

Think he's had a lengthy injury history that's hurt his career as well?

If Nesmith can shoot that well with greater physical tools/positional versatility, somewhat better defense, etc. he's a clearly superior player, imo


John Jenkins was a very good play, I wouldn't blame his fall just because he had unsuccessful spinal surgery. Jenkins without the injury would probably be 15ppg, shooting 40% from three.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,642
And1: 16,459
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#34 » by GimmeDat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Middleton might be a reasonable high ceiling hope but it's unlikely he gets there.
Could just as easily be the next John Jenkins


I did like Jenkins, but he had much lesser physical tools, wasn't a defender, and didn't really contribute outside of shooting. And he absolutely can shoot the ball, he's shot 40% over his GLeague career and has scored the s*** out of it in general down there.

Think he's had a lengthy injury history that's hurt his career as well?

If Nesmith can shoot that well with greater physical tools/positional versatility, somewhat better defense, etc. he's a clearly superior player, imo


John Jenkins was a very good play, I wouldn't blame his fall just because he had unsuccessful spinal surgery. Jenkins without the injury would probably be 15ppg, shooting 40% from three.


That'll definitely do it, didn't realize that happened to him. Pretty remarkable he's been as good as he has been in the G League given that information.
User avatar
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,482
And1: 1,665
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: https://perkinsfor3.wordpress.com/
Contact:

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#35 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:43 am

Somewhat shorter Cameron Johnson? I like his tools, and curious to see what development still could be done on defense. Wouldnt mind the Blazers considering him around 14.
Follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/perkinsfor3.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,384
And1: 3,349
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#36 » by Fischella » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:15 pm

Alex Abrines
jonbob17
Sophomore
Posts: 119
And1: 45
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#37 » by jonbob17 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:42 pm

gorz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Why not dream on Buddy Hield? Isn't Hield kind of a glorified 3 point specialist, now a bench player? Both wear #24.



Hes a borderline allstar caliber player and the kings best player(most may argue fox). You clearly havent watched the kings.


Could you elaborate on Buddy Hield being a borderline all star? Seems like there are many dozens of players standing between him and the last player in.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,572
And1: 1,150
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#38 » by doordoor123 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:18 pm

I also say Buddy Hield. He's a bigger Buddy. To me that's at least a top 10 pick.
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
Posts: 3,625
And1: 2,574
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#39 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:38 pm

I want to like him, and on paper he is great, but something about that 3PT shot just doesnt look right. Its not that high, not that quick a release and so many times looks pushed not flicked. It blows my mind it goes in that often. If it works, it works. But I have a feeling he may have some issues getting it off in the NBA.
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,764
And1: 1,481
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: What's Aaron Nesmiths' best Comparison 

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:50 pm

He really could be a guy who had an outlier good year on not a huge sample size. I think his release could use to be sped up a bit.

Return to NBA Draft