2020 NBA Draft II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,307

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II 

Post#1101 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 9:32 am

Can anyone guess who posted these stats over there last 20 games?

[twitter] @thunderdustin
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,106

Post#1102 » by zaymon » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:21 am

getrichordie wrote:Cole Anthony gets a little too fancy, trying to finish with his off-hand and misses an easy layup @ 2:02... Goggles come off @ 3:10 and he catches fire.

;t=218s

Almost no ability to get to the rim, below average passing, small. Only thing that works for his advantage is his injury funnily enough. I wonder if his fame will get him a lottery selection. poor mans malik monk
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1103 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:27 am

zaymon wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Cole Anthony gets a little too fancy, trying to finish with his off-hand and misses an easy layup @ 2:02... Goggles come off @ 3:10 and he catches fire.

;t=218s

Almost no ability to get to the rim, below average passing, small. Only thing that works for his advantage is his injury funnily enough. I wonder if his fame will get him a lottery selection. poor mans malik monk

Probably. I read an article I found on twitter that made a pretty strong case that he had a hard time getting to the rim because the paint was clogged more times than not. UNC's spacing was horrid this season. Injury may have wore him down, too, but you can only make so many excuses for the kid. I think he does play better w/ NBA spacing, but I still wonder about his burst. I think the ceiling for him to be an above average starter is there, but I like him more as a 6th man. There's definitely a path to success for him, though.

Also, his passing was much better in AAU. I don't think he got a chance to showcase that @ UNC with system/no spacing/etc.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1104 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:30 am

Cole Anthony's a stud shooter with enough play-making and athleticism, no, he doesn't have elite burst or passing chops, but should be good enough if the pull-up is as good as it may be, I think he is likely to be an above average starting PG in the league and competent on defense (not a factor either way, just alright)

It just depends on how you value all that much
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1105 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:33 am

Fischella wrote:Cole Anthony's a stud shooter with enough play-making and athleticism, no, he doesn't have elite burst or passing chops, but should be good enough if the pull-up is as good as it may be, I think he is likely to be an above average starting PG in the league and competent on defense (not a factor either way, just alright)

If he's such a stud shooter, why didn't he shoot the ball better at UNC? Percentages are subpar across the board except for FT%.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1106 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:36 am

getrichordie wrote:
Fischella wrote:Cole Anthony's a stud shooter with enough play-making and athleticism, no, he doesn't have elite burst or passing chops, but should be good enough if the pull-up is as good as it may be, I think he is likely to be an above average starting PG in the league and competent on defense (not a factor either way, just alright)

If he's such a stud shooter, why didn't he shoot the ball better at UNC? Percentages are subpar across the board except for FT%.

his % from 3 are really good considering degree of difficulty

if you add them up to his AAU numbers, he is obviously a tremendous pull-up prospect
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1107 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:37 am

Fischella wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

if you add them up to his AAU numbers, he is obviously a tremendous pull-up prospect

The counter-argument to that would be his age advantage and less of a size/athletic discrepancy.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,106

Post#1108 » by zaymon » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:27 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Fischella wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

The counter-argument to that would be his age advantage and less of a size/athletic discrepancy.

I wonder how much he will be able to utilize his pull up shooting having average handle and decision making. I would be scared to give him the ball for longer stretches. If he is mostly catch and shoot i think you can do better than 6'3 guard without good defensive awareness in the lottery.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,010

Post#1109 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:09 pm

I've written it many times but Cole was struggling in large part because the lanes on that UNC team were absolutely clogged and the team relied entirely on Cole to make things happen when they couldn't get a good shot for another player (which happened frequently).

Cole's pull-up could potentially be elite. He was a phenomenal pull-up shooter in AAU and that has predictive value. And I agree that given the degree of difficulty, his numbers in college on pull-up 3's were perfectly fine. He's also a better passer than what people seem to believe, and while he struggled a lot finishing around the rim we should not forget that he had a really solid FTr which is promising.

Cole has definitely struggled more than I expected but we're at a point where I'd consider Cole to be severely underrated. Not sure how anybody could watch that UNC team and not see how the set-up was extremely flawed. Always two bigs in the lane, almost no reliable shooters, no consistent secondary creator – Cole will look better once teams can't throw everything at him and he has some more space to operate.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 659

Post#1110 » by Monix » Sat Jun 6, 2020 2:21 pm

Anthony is a weird case...

I think he was overrated coming into college and is being underrated now
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1111 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 2:27 pm

Monix wrote:Anthony is a weird case...

I think he was overrated coming into college and is being underrated now

Welcome to this edition of draft stocks!
[twitter] @thunderdustin
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,357

Post#1112 » by King Ken » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:01 pm

Cole is clearly underrated but if he's drafted 8-14, he isn't underrated at all. That's his true draft range good or bad.

While different player types, it wouldn't surprise me if he peaked at Baron Davis level in the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1113 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:07 pm

King Ken wrote:Cole is clearly underrated but if he's drafted 8-14, he isn't underrated at all. That's his true draft range good or bad.

While different player types, it wouldn't surprise me if he peaked at Baron Davis level in the NBA.

8-14 is fair. I have him @ #11 on my BB. I would say that's accurate for his ceiling. 1-2 all-star appearances. I don't see him hitting it, though, personally. I would say he has it in him to maybe get 1 all-star appearance if he adjusts well to the NBA.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1114 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:26 pm

We need to talk more about Anthony Edwards.

SF Chronicle is reporting that sources are saying if Warriors land #1 pick, they are taking Edwards, but if they fall in 2-5 range, they are taking Haliburton.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1115 » by King Ken » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:15 am

getrichordie wrote:We need to talk more about Anthony Edwards.

SF Chronicle is reporting that sources are saying if Warriors land #1 pick, they are taking Edwards, but if they fall in 2-5 range, they are taking Haliburton.

The teams who spent the most time looking at all of the prospects like Edwards #1. Teams that just looking at prototypes, like Wiseman who even with his questions should be good potentially and LaMelo is for a number of teams looking for that type of PG.

For me, he's tied for #1 with Toppin and Ball. I would take him #1 for most teams. He's an easy fit. Plug him in at 6th man and develop him from there. Don't overthink it. It's similar to Harden as a prospect. Not as polished but more potential and no that doesn't mean he will be as good or better than HOU Harden, just saying he has more potential than James had at this stage. James overachieved. I am sure those who take Edwards hopes the same. I think of Edwards a lot like John Wall as a prospect. Not the same prototypes but they have a lot of similarities and their talent and ability make it really hard for them to bust much less not be stars at the least.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,760

Post#1116 » by Upperclass » Sun Jun 7, 2020 10:33 am

Cole Anthony is Shane Larkin with a mixtape. Dennis Smith came in with better measurables across the board and similar IQ and court approach.. and cant get out of the starters gate. As did Austin Rivers who is far quicker with a better handle
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1117 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 7, 2020 11:52 am

Upperclass wrote:Cole Anthony is Shane Larkin with a mixtape. Dennis Smith came in with better measurables across the board and similar IQ and court approach.. and cant get out of the starters gate. As did Austin Rivers who is far quicker with a better handle

Nah, dude. Dennis Smith was all athleticism. No IQ. Anthony's BBIQ is much higher.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1118 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:56 pm

i think the anthony edwards highlights look great when he does score but i'm a bit skeptical of it transitioning well in the nba. on one hand, i see a bigger version of dennis smith jr hype (aka athleticism, scorer, not high bball iq) that can play bully ball and is obv not a playmaker. on the other hand, while he shot terribly from deep for the season, games like his explosion against michigan state make you wonder what his true potential is. it doesn't help that his team was terrible but that record doesn't seem to have affected his stock whatsoever.

while the game right now is about layups and 3s, he actually would probably be best to specialize in attacking the rim/slashing and the midrange game, two areas where he has the greatest advantage with his size and strength. his bonus is that he can play both ends of the court and has the physical tools to do so. how he develops when he is likely to be a second or third scoring option is going to be interesting because he won't be the primary ball handler. with curry, they already have a playmaker, and his off the ball potential in a GSW system actually makes sense so i can see why they would consider him.

i have a hard time envisioning him having success on other teams where they are wanting him to be the primary ball handler and potentially even a playmaker because in my eyes he clearly has a narrow skillset unlike guys like sexton who have more combo ability as a scorer and a playmaker.

if he doesn't go as #1 to GSW, i would not be surprised if his stock fell beyond #5. i would be stunned if the cavs took him at #2 with wiseman, onyeka, and toppin as legitimate options who can contribute right away. the league is saturated and while this class has plenty of talent and potential, i think fit instead of best overall player may be the strategy for drafting this year with very few exceptions like lamelo ball.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1119 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:19 pm

short blurb on cole anthony
still love his skill package
his speed with the ball in his hands, the attacks and counters, the mechanics....all very polished
why did he shoot poorly? idk. he's young, he played a tough SOS, and he had a bad knee. he has all the skills for today's game at his position imo. health is going to play a huge factor. first thing i'd tell him to do is stop dunking. a guard with meniscus issues at 20 years old is a red flag for everyone.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1120 » by King Ken » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:45 pm

karkinos wrote:i think the anthony edwards highlights look great when he does score but i'm a bit skeptical of it transitioning well in the nba. on one hand, i see a bigger version of dennis smith jr hype (aka athleticism, scorer, not high bball iq) that can play bully ball and is obv not a playmaker. on the other hand, while he shot terribly from deep for the season, games like his explosion against michigan state make you wonder what his true potential is. it doesn't help that his team was terrible but that record doesn't seem to have affected his stock whatsoever.

while the game right now is about layups and 3s, he actually would probably be best to specialize in attacking the rim/slashing and the midrange game, two areas where he has the greatest advantage with his size and strength. his bonus is that he can play both ends of the court and has the physical tools to do so. how he develops when he is likely to be a second or third scoring option is going to be interesting because he won't be the primary ball handler. with curry, they already have a playmaker, and his off the ball potential in a GSW system actually makes sense so i can see why they would consider him.

i have a hard time envisioning him having success on other teams where they are wanting him to be the primary ball handler and potentially even a playmaker because in my eyes he clearly has a narrow skillset unlike guys like sexton who have more combo ability as a scorer and a playmaker.

if he doesn't go as #1 to GSW, i would not be surprised if his stock fell beyond #5. i would be stunned if the cavs took him at #2 with wiseman, onyeka, and toppin as legitimate options who can contribute right away. the league is saturated and while this class has plenty of talent and potential, i think fit instead of best overall player may be the strategy for drafting this year with very few exceptions like lamelo ball.

Not sure why, teams like Atlanta would jump all over him and draft him 1st overall. Most teams would in the top 10.

Return to NBA Draft