why call it a mock? isnt that just a player ranking then? lol
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II 

Post#424 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Effort seems to be something that’s there or it isn’t, if it really is effort. Sometimes for freshmen it looks like they’re not trying, but it could just be learning the game or misunderstanding what they should be doing/how to get in better position. Kelly Oubre had a similar comment, but he just didn’t know the game yet in college. Then you look at someone like Wiggins, he just didn’t have the effort. And I think sometimes it’s correctable, some teams just have a great atmosphere for effort. Like Romeo Langford also had this comment, but the Celtics are probably the perfect spot for him because players on that team hustle and they won’t allow him anything other than effort.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#425 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:38 am

clyde21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s also just copying and pasting the same thing everyone has been posting. Then one week before everyone is going to change all their “rankings” to what is actually going to happen.

But one thing is for sure, the top of this draft is so unpredictable, I seriously doubt any one team is sure of who they’ll pick prior to workouts, etc. And usually drafts are completely wrong, you’re better off picking someone lower on the board and moving them higher because there will be busts and there will be guys that should have been picked higher. This draft is going to be particularly insane because of the corona virus stuff. And past a couple of picks, last year had to have been one of the most unpredictable drafts in a long time. A couple years I ago, I never imagined a guy like Kris Dunn wouldn’t be one of the better players in the class and most mocks had him in the top 5 lists like this, but that’s just not how it works, it’s a different game with greater expectations. Most NBA players have been playing at such a high level that it just isn’t easy to instantly become a top 5 player in any draft unless you’re already THAT good. I’m not sure any of these guys are.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#426 » by big-shot-ROB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

McDaniels is really really raw. Reminds me of Bamba. The tools are there but the not the understanding to use them. The team that drafts him should really understand its the kind of player that doesn't really contribute much until his second contract.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#427 » by kg01 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Basically. Seems like a lazy way of getting clicks, which is "journalism" in a nutshell these days (not all of 'em but many).
king01 :king:
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#428 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Apr 1, 2020 3:09 pm

Just uploaded my Obi Toppin prospect breakdown. Went deep on him, 11 minutes With commentary. He’s so much fun. I hope he ends up with a good pg so so badly.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#429 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 1, 2020 3:14 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Just uploaded my Obi Toppin prospect breakdown. Went deep on him, 11 minutes With commentary. He’s so much fun. I hope he ends up with a good pg so so badly.

I don’t know what’ll happen in the lottery, but there are a lot of teams without a great point guard at the head of the draft. I think best fit for him is probably Minnesota of those top teams. Toppin with Russell and Towns would be fun.
He seems like such a Bulls kind of pick though.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#430 » by The-Power » Wed Apr 1, 2020 6:12 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I think best fit for him is probably Minnesota of those top teams. Toppin with Russell and Towns would be fun.

...on offense.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#431 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 1, 2020 7:27 pm

The-Power wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think best fit for him is probably Minnesota of those top teams. Toppin with Russell and Towns would be fun.

...on offense.

Not even, you want a balanced frontcourt
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#432 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 1, 2020 7:38 pm

Towns/Obi are not a good fit at all, they should take a Paul Reed or a Precious Achiuwa with the Brooklyn pick and focus elsewhere with their first pick

if I was Minny I'd go RJ or Okoro top 5 and then Reed @ 16
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#433 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:52 am

clyde21 wrote:Towns/Obi are not a good fit at all, they should take a Paul Reed or a Precious Achiuwa with the Brooklyn pick and focus elsewhere with their first pick

if I was Minny I'd go RJ or Okoro top 5 and then Reed @ 16

I feel like while Minny needs defenders they also need players that can score. Last year they were 13th percentile on spot ups.

With Culver and Okogie already in their rotation, I feel like adding players like Okoro or Reed wouldn’t help.

Need guys like Vassell or Bey to provide something worth guarding on the other end.

Of course, you can bring up the upside over fit argument, but in this draft that's a tough sell imo.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#434 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Apr 2, 2020 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#435 » by baldur » Thu Apr 2, 2020 9:28 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Just uploaded my Obi Toppin prospect breakdown. Went deep on him, 11 minutes With commentary. He’s so much fun. I hope he ends up with a good pg so so badly.

are these your own videos? super cool man.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#436 » by CoreyVillains » Thu Apr 2, 2020 9:51 pm

baldur wrote:

are these your own videos? super cool man.

Yeah man, I decided to try to step my game up this year. Appreciate you checking it out!
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#437 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 3, 2020 5:13 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter

No reason cited? I think only playing 3 games in the NCAA is a poor, poor reason not to trust someone.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#438 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 3, 2020 5:39 am

Catchall wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Who’s a better prospect Devin Vasell or Mikal Bridges and why ?

For me, it's Vassell and it's not particularly close. Bridges is a 3D wing. Vassell is a much more versatile scorer and shot creator. I see Vassell's best-case scenario as a more athletic, more versatile, more defensively capable Devin Booker. That's a max player.

Booker's shot was much more fluid than Vassell's coming out of college. He was flat out a better shooter, unequivocally. Booker had better ball-handling skills too. But I see what you are getting at.

Vassell reminds me a lot more of Rip Hamilton. Both 6'7 with ~6'10 wingspans who play a lot off-ball. Wing-stopper potential. Don't do a ton of ball-handling and little in the way of driving to the basket.

Yeah, I see Hamilton as Vassell's ceiling.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#439 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 3, 2020 6:02 am

This shows just how raw Wiseman is. He makes some pretty bone-headed decisions. Low IQ player from the looks of it. Post-moves, non-existent. Doesn't understand spacing. Shows poor hands here. Maybe it was nerves, who knows... but definitely something to consider. It was his first 3 games, after all and his mother moved so she could be in Memphis with him. The potential of all of that money and notoriety and it's affects on a young mind cannot be overstated. I definitely wouldn't call this a closed case.

He did have an ankle injury in October, before playing in November, so not sure if that affected his mobility, or factored into his motivation to move his feet, but just playing Devil's advocate here.

Also, here's an excerpt from a CBSSports article:

Spoiler:
I wouldn't blame him at all, just like you and I should not place any blame on Wiseman for what he's doing. The 7-footer's not to blame for the suspension to begin with and he's not to blame for his own choice to leave college basketball behind.

The adults failed him at just about every turn here. Memphis coach Penny Hardaway unwittingly failed him the moment he gave $11,500 to Wiseman's mother for what's been identified as moving expenses. Though no one could have known then, it triggered an eligibility case that would ultimately become the biggest melodrama of college basketball's first two months of the 2019-20 season.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#440 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 6:48 am

getrichordie wrote:

This shows just how raw Wiseman is. He makes some pretty bone-headed decisions. Low IQ player from the looks of it. Post-moves, non-existent. Doesn't understand spacing. Shows poor hands here. Maybe it was nerves, who knows... but definitely something to consider. It was his first 3 games, after all and his mother moved so she could be in Memphis with him. The potential of all of that money and notoriety and it's affects on a young mind cannot be overstated. I definitely wouldn't call this a closed case.

He did have an ankle injury in October, before playing in November, so not sure if that affected his mobility, or factored into his motivation to move his feet, but just playing Devil's advocate here.

Also, here's an excerpt from a CBSSports article:

Spoiler:
I wouldn't blame him at all, just like you and I should not place any blame on Wiseman for what he's doing. The 7-footer's not to blame for the suspension to begin with and he's not to blame for his own choice to leave college basketball behind.

The adults failed him at just about every turn here. Memphis coach Penny Hardaway unwittingly failed him the moment he gave $11,500 to Wiseman's mother for what's been identified as moving expenses. Though no one could have known then, it triggered an eligibility case that would ultimately become the biggest melodrama of college basketball's first two months of the 2019-20 season.

That's extremely nit-picky stuff. An 18.5 year old 7 footer isn't a great permirer player against the #14 ranked team in the NCAA by his 3rd game? He missed a outback dunk! His teammates missed a floater after driving into a clogged lane! The 18.5 year old jumped on a pump fake in his 3rd game! He is CLEARLY not Anthony Davis... Smh bust..

A video like this can be made for any prospect. ANY. I'm sure LeBron missed dunks and rotations at St. Vincent St. Mary's. I bet his took shoots when double teamed with open teammates around him.

This kind of video can be made positively or negativitly for any prospect. It's a three minute video, but he resys each clip multiple times, so it's like 10 plays from three games of and 18 year old sying college ball against a #14 ranked team. Smh.

Fwiw I'm throwing shade at the creator of this video, not you getrichordie. I think your post under the video is very fair. That video is obviously biased. I'd like to see that guy make a highlight video of Wiseman and see if the +'s outweigh the -'s.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)

Return to NBA Draft