Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,221
And1: 1,729
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#101 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Marcus wrote:
getrichordie wrote:https://gleague.nba.com/professionalpath/

So he won’t be eligible to be drafted until after this G-League season. Also, he can’t be called up (obviously) and the mechanism for team placement is yet-to-be-determined according to this website, though the website is saying it should have already been finalized prior to the start of this G-League season.

Honestly it should just be random...


that's one of the things that was always sketch with me as far as this whole thing. If the G-League is a pseudo farm league for the NBA why am i training and allowing this kid into my team's system if we aren't sure he's going to be drafted by the big team when he is eligible?


Definitely a conflict of interest there for sure. Maybe place him on the worst team’s G-League? Or maybe they just go with nearest G-League team, which in his case I think would Golden State’s G-League team since he’s in California...
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
crows2
Junior
Posts: 268
And1: 199
Joined: Apr 01, 2015

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#102 » by crows2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,292
And1: 8,946
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#103 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Marcus wrote:
getrichordie wrote:https://gleague.nba.com/professionalpath/

So he won’t be eligible to be drafted until after this G-League season. Also, he can’t be called up (obviously) and the mechanism for team placement is yet-to-be-determined according to this website, though the website is saying it should have already been finalized prior to the start of this G-League season.

Honestly it should just be random...



that's one of the things that was always sketch with me as far as this whole thing. If the G-League is a pseudo farm league for the NBA why am i training and allowing this kid into my team's system if we aren't sure he's going to be drafted by the big team when he is eligible?


Definitely a conflict of interest there for sure. Maybe place him on the worst team’s G-League? Or maybe they just go with nearest G-League team, which in his case I think would Golden State’s G-League team since he’s in California...


They made a brand new team specifically meant for developing high school prospects
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,337
And1: 4,164
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#104 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Marcus wrote:

that's one of the things that was always sketch with me as far as this whole thing. If the G-League is a pseudo farm league for the NBA why am i training and allowing this kid into my team's system if we aren't sure he's going to be drafted by the big team when he is eligible?


Definitely a conflict of interest there for sure. Maybe place him on the worst team’s G-League? Or maybe they just go with nearest G-League team, which in his case I think would Golden State’s G-League team since he’s in California...


They made a brand new team specifically meant for developing high school prospects


That makes sense
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,292
And1: 8,946
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#105 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Yeah it’s a pretty great deal honestly. Looks like Isaiah Todd just joined too.

$500k
Team in Socal meant specifically for development ( not part of gleague ecosystem but will play exhibition games erc)
Full Ride scholarship

I don’t see why any top prospect should turn that down.
Sea2003
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 13
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#106 » by Sea2003 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:37 pm

crows2 wrote:
Read on Twitter


They should just do this instead of abolishing the 0ne-and-done rule.
Sea2003
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 13
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#107 » by Sea2003 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Yeah it’s a pretty great deal honestly. Looks like Isaiah Todd just joined too.

$500k
Team in Socal meant specifically for development ( not part of gleague ecosystem but will play exhibition games erc)
Full Ride scholarship

I don’t see why any top prospect should turn that down.


I could see Kuminga going down this path.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,337
And1: 4,164
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#108 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:48 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Yeah it’s a pretty great deal honestly. Looks like Isaiah Todd just joined too.

$500k
Team in Socal meant specifically for development ( not part of gleague ecosystem but will play exhibition games erc)
Full Ride scholarship

I don’t see why any top prospect should turn that down.


If this is what it's going to be going forward then this whole concept has great legs to stand on, just wonder how it gets affected once the OAD rule is lifted.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,337
And1: 4,164
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#109 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21


This sounds like a pretty great deal honestly


don't know how well versed you guys are with the music industry but this feels like the independent artist (high school talent) making it bigtime without the record labels (NCAA). I like it.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,337
And1: 4,164
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#110 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Sea2003 wrote:
crows2 wrote:
Read on Twitter


They should just do this instead of abolishing the 0ne-and-done rule.


yeah if it works out it could definitely make that an option.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 1,515
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#111 » by nolang1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Marcus wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Yeah it’s a pretty great deal honestly. Looks like Isaiah Todd just joined too.

$500k
Team in Socal meant specifically for development ( not part of gleague ecosystem but will play exhibition games erc)
Full Ride scholarship

I don’t see why any top prospect should turn that down.


If this is what it's going to be going forward then this whole concept has great legs to stand on, just wonder how it gets affected once the OAD rule is lifted.


They probably want to have it be the American NBA Academy where it’s for 15-16 year olds and the money isn’t as big but the other stuff (mentoring, development, free college) is still there.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,644
And1: 47,501
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#112 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm

good, all the top prospects need to shun the NCAA and take the GLeague route, make it happen
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE #DOWNWITHZIONISM
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,199
And1: 3,289
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#113 » by Fischella » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Sea2003 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Suggs is going to Gonzaga, heard that from a good source, I think Todd is NBL bound, Johnson and Green to GLeague make sense, seems like Clarke will eventually stay at UK


Are you reffering to Jalen johnson

Yeah, I think Johnson eventually goes pro, Hurt and Moore returning for Duke also, it just makes too much sense imo

We will see, Greg Brown, Suggs (still), Johnson, Beauchamp, Walker, Todd, all could join Green in the G-League

That'd be a fun team, Suggs-Green-Johnson-Brown-Todd
Slim Charlez
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,888
And1: 1,889
Joined: Jan 15, 2017
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#114 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Where would the new g league team be based out of? Hopefully somewhere like OC or San Diego.

But yeah **** the NCAA. Hope this becomes a thing.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,644
And1: 47,501
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#115 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:00 am

rumors picking up Kuminga is gonna reclass and go G League too, that will be insane.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE #DOWNWITHZIONISM
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 41,644
And1: 47,501
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#116 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 am

Slim Charlez wrote:Where would the new g league team be based out of? Hopefully somewhere like OC or San Diego.

But yeah **** the NCAA. Hope this becomes a thing.


it's in LA
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE #DOWNWITHZIONISM
Sea2003
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 13
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#117 » by Sea2003 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:09 am

clyde21 wrote:rumors picking up Kuminga is gonna reclass and go G League too, that will be insane.

I fully expect him to. Why turn down 500k and get a chance to train in some of the best facilities in the world plus the best trainers?
User avatar
azcatz11
Head Coach
Posts: 7,454
And1: 8,528
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
Location: Phoenix

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#118 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am

Here is the downside...and I'm just playing devils advocate and don't necessarily agree with all of this

- Lose college experience
- Ability to get exposed. Prob less likely in the NCAA
- Better NBA intel re training habits, game, etc. Can work against like the above

If you're a top guy and are 100% confident and don't really care about the college experience, there probably aren't any downsides. But there is certainly more risk to this path for the very top guys even though they're clearing $500k.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree if you'd like
Sea2003
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 13
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#119 » by Sea2003 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:05 am

azcatz11 wrote:Here is the downside...and I'm just playing devils advocate and don't necessarily agree with all of this

- Lose college experience
- Ability to get exposed. Prob less likely in the NCAA
- Better NBA intel re training habits, game, etc. Can work against like the above

If you're a top guy and are 100% confident and don't really care about the college experience, there probably aren't any downsides. But there is certainly more risk to this path for the very top guys even though they're clearing $500k.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree if you'd like


Not only does Jalen Green get 500k, but g League is also giving him a 125,000 scholarship to use to get his college education whenever or wherever he wants. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,568
And1: 16,339
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#120 » by GimmeDat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:29 am

Stoked that the NCAA is continuing to get spurned. The G League sounds to have made some really positive reforms that make it a better alternative than it was. As an Aussie, very disappointed that we didn't get these guys. The NBL was supposedly confident in getting both Green and Todd before the whole COVID-19 situation.

The whole argument for college is basically it's status quo and you're less likely to be able to hide your flaws. If you believe in your game, then get paid, play against a higher level of comp, seems to me to be a no brainer. Scouts will continue to adjust to viewing these guys in a different setting.

Return to NBA Draft