Do aggressive defences inflate numbers?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Do you think an aggressive defensive scheme inflates steals/blocks?

Yes
80%
No
No votes
A little, but not much
20%

Total votes: 5

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Do aggressive defences inflate numbers? 

Post#1 » by shangrila » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pm

As the title says, basically.

I've been watching a lot of Florida St recently and started wondering if an aggressive defensive scheme might lead to more steals team wide, which might then artificially boost a prospects numbers. This isn't about them specifically, just a general observation that I thought might be an interesting context given that "stocks" seem to be given a decent amount of weight when projecting someone's defence.

Your thoughts?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: Do aggressive defences inflate numbers? 

Post#2 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Mar 2, 2020 6:13 pm

It might but what are you really asking and whats the downside? Are you scared that a player coming from that system isnt trully as good as he seems, maybe similar to how a Rockets player might look inflated offensively?

Well my belief is that its still for the benefit of that prospect. Defense is a skill but also a midset so yeah perhaps he might not have gotten that steal or block but I still think that prospect is better for playing in an aggresive defensive culture when he gets to the nba.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#3 » by Nate the Great » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:07 pm

Probably, but then again playing in an aggressive defense teaches a player to defend aggressively. Draymond Green became a great defender in large part because of Tom Izzo. It’s only a concern if you think the player will slack off once he gets a paycheck.

Black Lives Matter
bayup15
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by bayup15 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Nate the Great wrote:Probably, but then again playing in an aggressive defense teaches a player to defend aggressively. Draymond Green became a great defender in large part because of Tom Izzo. It’s only a concern if you think the player will slack off once he gets a paycheck.

MSU’s defense isn’t aggressive though. They play fairly straight up and don’t deny perimeter passes, rather staying in the gaps for better help and rebounding positioning.

What is Izzo does teach is toughness and discipline. Which I think kind of underscores the point here.

Aggressive defenses can have defenders run around creating havoc and make them look better than they are. But then against smarter and more skilled players, they get completely exposed.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#5 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:40 am

Defenses can be aggressive because they have the personnel.
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to NBA Draft