Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Re: James Bouknight 

Post#121 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:26 pm

ciueli wrote:
NYCbeadyrae wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Orlando coming out with Barnes and Bouknight would be a major haul and address team needs

The problem is that GSW clearly like Bouknight and he’s a good system fit there. He may not be there at 8. They may have to move up or take him at 5 if they really like him.

How is he a good fit in Golden State? He's a ball dominant guard that doesn't pass or shoot catch and shoot 3s well.

tbh Myers has consistently gotten players that don't fit into GS system, Dlo, Oubre, Wiseman...he doesn't really know what he's doing so I wouldn't put it passed him.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,661

Post#122 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I can’t wait to be right about it this guy. People are overthinking things with him. He’s gonna be a great scorer then everyone is gonna act shocked lmao

most people already know he's going to be a good scorer, problem is everything else, right now he projects as a Jordan Clarkson bench scorer type unless his other ancillary skills develop in the NBA.

I feel that’s not an apples to apples comparison at all. Not only is James the far better finisher at the rim and more athletic, he is currently way better than Clarkson was coming into the NBA. Idk how he projects to only be a guy is 100% better than when he was at the same age. Watch Clarkson in college and it’s not close to the same as him now. Clarkson scored off straight line drives and and catch and shoots. He wasn’t breakdown guys the way James does with his hesitation dribble and side to side shake.

It was also easy to guess shooting %s were an aberration and largely due to context and then he shot the lights out in workouts. You could tell from the tape his jumper wasn’t broken and the confidence in his shooting (plus FT%) was a sign he’s a better shooter than his college numbers advertise (same feeling with Suggs). When I say people are going to be surprised, it’s going to be because he going to be an efficient (if everything works out including situation) high volume guy on a rookie contract getting 20 ppg in his first 2-3 years. Very few players I’ve seen in this draft that have his scoring ability and physical profile.

Itm also not surprised to be hearing their is a wave of FOs that are now on the bandwagon. If not for the Raptors moving up I was all in on us taking this kid 7-8
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
clyde21
RealGM

Post#123 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:51 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I can’t wait to be right about it this guy. People are overthinking things with him. He’s gonna be a great scorer then everyone is gonna act shocked lmao

most people already know he's going to be a good scorer, problem is everything else, right now he projects as a Jordan Clarkson bench scorer type unless his other ancillary skills develop in the NBA.

I feel that’s not an apples to apples comparison at all. Not only is James the far better finisher at the rim and more athletic, he is currently way better than Clarkson was coming into the NBA. Idk how he projects to only be a guy is 100% better than when he was at the same age. Watch Clarkson in college and it’s not close to the same as him now.

he's not really that much more athletic than Clarkson other than verticality, and yea, development curve is a little ahead of Clarkson when it comes to scoring but that's about it, still projects to be the same type of player/role guy in the NBA if, again, his ancillary skills don't develop

again, no one is denying hes a dynamo scorer, that' aint the issue...but 2 guards that can only score and not do much else are relegated to being bench scorers in today's NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#124 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:14 pm

He's great in transition and cutting. I'm not sure that is going to equate to an NBA creator level.

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NYCbeadyrae
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#125 » by NYCbeadyrae » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:17 am

EvanZ wrote:He's great in transition and cutting. I'm not sure that is going to equate to an NBA creator level.

Read on Twitter

I’m betting with space he’s going to be a 3 level guy scoring 20 per. Just not sold completely on his durability. He missed a bunch of games and played injured a bunch throughout college. Look at his O-rating and usage rates they are both insane. He needed more rest.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#126 » by tiderulz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I feel that’s not an apples to apples comparison at all. Not only is James the far better finisher at the rim and more athletic, he is currently way better than Clarkson was coming into the NBA. Idk how he projects to only be a guy is 100% better than when he was at the same age. Watch Clarkson in college and it’s not close to the same as him now. Clarkson scored off straight line drives and and catch and shoots. He wasn’t breakdown guys the way James does with his hesitation dribble and side to side shake.

It was also easy to guess shooting %s were an aberration and largely due to context and then he shot the lights out in workouts. You could tell from the tape his jumper wasn’t broken and the confidence in his shooting (plus FT%) was a sign he’s a better shooter than his college numbers advertise (same feeling with Suggs). When I say people are going to be surprised, it’s going to be because he going to be an efficient (if everything works out including situation) high volume guy on a rookie contract getting 20 ppg in his first 2-3 years. Very few players I’ve seen in this draft that have his scoring ability and physical profile.

Itm also not surprised to be hearing their is a wave of FOs that are now on the bandwagon. If not for the Raptors moving up I was all in on us taking this kid 7-8

if the top-4 go as expected, i am on board for Orlando taking Bouknight at 5 and then Moody or Jalen Johnson(if his head is on straight) at 8
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#127 » by Brick Layer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 am

tiderulz wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

if the top-4 go as expected, i am on board for Orlando taking Bouknight at 5 and then Moody or Jalen Johnson(if his head is on straight) at 8

You want Orlando to pass up Barnes and Kuminga for Bouknight even though the Magic need more help at forward than guard spots?
Brick Layer
Junior

Post#128 » by Brick Layer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:53 am

tiderulz wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You want Orlando to pass up Barnes and Kuminga for Bouknight even though the Magic need more help at forward than guard spots?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#129 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:22 am

Bouknight over Barnes/Kuminga would be laughable, sry
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#130 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 am

Is he gonna be a Jerome Robinson type of meh player that can't deliver in the pros?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,661

Post#131 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:57 am

clyde21 wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I feel that’s not an apples to apples comparison at all. Not only is James the far better finisher at the rim and more athletic, he is currently way better than Clarkson was coming into the NBA. Idk how he projects to only be a guy is 100% better than when he was at the same age. Watch Clarkson in college and it’s not close to the same as him now.

he's not really that much more athletic than Clarkson other than verticality, and yea, development curve is a little ahead of Clarkson when it comes to scoring but that's about it, still projects to be the same type of player/role guy in the NBA if, again, his ancillary skills don't develop

again, no one is denying hes a dynamo scorer, that' aint the issue...but 2 guards that can only score and not do much else are relegated to being bench scorers in today's NBA.

I mean, if you want to minimize the gap between them as scoring prospects thats fine lol, but James played on probably the worst shooting team in the country with a James Harden level usage% getting doubled almost literally every play and ended with 55TS% for the year including games coming back off surgery. Just like with any scorer, you put them on a good team with spacing and other shooters/scorers so they don't have to try and do everything and their numbers and efficiency skyrocket (ala Wiggins who you should be familiar with that happening for)

Clarkson never had stats like that or was forced to play that way. The Clarkson comparison is because people are just looking for a modern guy who they think can score but not well enough to be a starter, but Clarkson wasn't this good as a prospect coming into the NBA without any strength training or NBA skill development. If you're comparing James to 6 year vet Clarkson who just won 6MOTY than what does that say about James already?
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#132 » by tiderulz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Brick Layer wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

If i had to take 1 between Barnes and Kuminga, i take Barnes. Kuminga has to improve EVERY single facet of his game, while Barnes is a very good defender but bad shooter and really isnt a point forward. But Orlando still needs help all over so it isnt about picking only at one position. And I did say Moody/Johnson with #8. everyone always seems to assume that players learn offense, learn how to shoot.

Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, MKG, Josh Jackson, Jarrett Culver, Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Fultz, Marquese Chriss, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, Exum, Noah Vonleh. All top-10 picks that came in and just needed to learn to shoot better.
Brick Layer
Junior

Post#133 » by Brick Layer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Brick Layer wrote:
tiderulz wrote:if the top-4 go as expected, i am on board for Orlando taking Bouknight at 5 and then Moody or Jalen Johnson(if his head is on straight) at 8

If i had to take 1 between Barnes and Kuminga, i take Barnes. Kuminga has to improve EVERY single facet of his game, while Barnes is a very good defender but bad shooter and really isnt a point forward. But Orlando still needs help all over so it isnt about picking only at one position. And I did say Moody/Johnson with #8. everyone always seems to assume that players learn offense, learn how to shoot.

Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, MKG, Josh Jackson, Jarrett Culver, Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Fultz, Marquese Chriss, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, Exum, Noah Vonleh. All top-10 picks that came in and just needed to learn to shoot better.

Based on your previous statement underlined above, your position is Orlando should take Bouknight at 5 over Barnes and Kuminga. If Barnes and Kuminga come off the board at picks 6 and 7, then you would look for the Magic to choose between Johnson & Moody at 8. Since you are a long time Magic fan, am I reading your opinion correctly on what Orlando should do with the picks at 5 and 8?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#134 » by tiderulz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Brick Layer wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Brick Layer wrote:You want Orlando to pass up Barnes and Kuminga for Bouknight even though the Magic need more help at forward than guard spots?

Based on your previous statement underlined above, your position is Orlando should take Bouknight at 5 over Barnes and Kuminga. If Barnes and Kuminga come off the board at picks 6 and 7, then you would look for the Magic to choose between Johnson & Moody at 8. Since you are a long time Magic fan, am I reading your opinion correctly on what Orlando should do with the picks at 5 and 8?

its what i would look at. I'm by no means any draft expert, just my opinions. I've been right in my view on some players, been wrong on others. Now, if Green was available at 3, i would test the waters for a trade of Cleveland didnt want him and was open to move back to 5 and pick up an asset, but by no means would i trade both 5 & 8 to move up 2 spots. i would be fluid about things. But the draft history with our current front office, they seem to lock in on exactly who they want and the only trades they seem to consider are to trade a current pick for a future one, sometimes taking a worse future pick.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,737

Post#135 » by basketballRob » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm

I think it's 60% the Magic take Kuminga, 40% Barnes. Not sure Bouknight is in the top 10.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#136 » by Hal14 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:49 pm

EMG518 wrote:
NYCbeadyrae wrote:
ciueli wrote:

No you have it backwards. He’s the best shooter in the draft with 2 feet or more of separation. That’s why he was instantly doubled and teams went over screens on him. Scouting report out of high school was lights out 3 point shooter, shot like 60% from 3 before he started getting doubled second half of last year, he has the best mechanics and shot the best in his pro-day in the entire draft. 20 straight 3s from the corner. He was injured and had no space at all this year for UConn, everyone who watches tape knows why he only shot 30% from 3(35% as freshman)

He shot 77.8% from the line, pretty sure he wasn't being doubled. You are smoking something if you think he is the best shooter in the draft.

78% from the line is pretty good for a sophomore, especially one who had an elbow injury.

Not saying he's the best shooter in the draft, though..I think that's either Kispert/Hyland/Wieskamp
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#137 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 pm

comparing Bouknight to Clarkson is laughable and embarrassing. Truly. There are tiers separating them as prospects. The kid is a stud. You just have to hope he's got the inner fire in him to compete on the defensive end. And if he does, he's got all-star potential. They could go either way i.e. SG at #5/SF at #8 or vice versa. It would take some incredible ineptness to screw this up given the talent and options they have.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#138 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:20 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:comparing Bouknight to Clarkson is laughable and embarrassing. Truly. There are tiers separating them as prospects. The kid is a stud. You just have to hope he's got the inner fire in him to compete on the defensive end. And if he does, he's got all-star potential. They could go either way i.e. SG at #5/SF at #8 or vice versa. It would take some incredible ineptness to screw this up given the talent and options they have.

terrible post
NYCbeadyrae
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#139 » by NYCbeadyrae » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Up to #6 on draft net. When it’s all said and done he’ll be the best player to come out of this draft. Stop sleeping.

To the poster who said he wasn’t being doubled. He had the highest rate of double teams in the Big East and the 2nd highest in all of college ball. AND he was playing injured all year. Kid can shoot, look at his freshman numbers, his FT%, and his mechanics. All on point. He’s going to be a 20pt guy in the league. Bouk it.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 210

Post#140 » by Gert42 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:comparing Bouknight to Clarkson is laughable and embarrassing. Truly. There are tiers separating them as prospects. The kid is a stud. You just have to hope he's got the inner fire in him to compete on the defensive end. And if he does, he's got all-star potential. They could go either way i.e. SG at #5/SF at #8 or vice versa. It would take some incredible ineptness to screw this up given the talent and options they have.

People aren't comparing him to Clarkson as JC was as a prospect. Whether that is fair or not it up for debate. I think a lot of people think that if his ceiling is a Jordan Clarkson level player is that worth taking Top 5-10?

Return to NBA Draft