Aleksej Pokusevski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,968
And1: 1,187
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#401 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:48 pm

nolang1 wrote:He didn't play for their B team from late November to late February. Are you trying to tell me that someone with those numbers was suddenly bad enough to get DNP-CDs lol


He wasn't playing during that time because he was injured. They didn't bench him. I can't remember his exact injury, but I think it was a back injury or something like that. He was out due to injury, not because he was getting DNP-CDs.

And the team was winning all their games without him, so there was no need to rush him back until he was fully healthy.

There is no conspiracy in European basketball to hide NBA draft prospects from NBA scouts. I don't know where this false narrative began, although I remember it really starting with guys like Kurucs, Bender, and Hezonja. Bottom line, none of it was true even 1% in those cases, and it's not true even 1% in Poku's case overall.

This is some kind of strange marketing gimmick for the NBA that US sports media has totally created out of thin air. There isn't even a single iota of truth to it.
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,968
And1: 1,187
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#402 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:At which spot do you think that Pokusevski deserves to be selected in the draft? Over or under #15? I want to know your personal opinion.


If a team is drafting him for right now, and planning on using him in the NBA next season to compete with, then he should be drafted lower than that. Because he's a clear project. If a team has no issue with letting him develop in the G-League, or in Europe, then they could take him higher, if they don't need his contribution right now.

I think he's ideal for a team that wants to use a first round pick on a player that won't count against the cap, because they can leave him in Europe. He doesn't have to stay with Olympiacos either. He's not going to be getting any minutes on their senior team in EuroLeague without injuries. But he could be on some first division team in some European league, where he could get playing time. Nothing like EuroLeague level, but he could probably get playing time in some mid level Adriatic League club or something like that.

If the team that drafted him then thinks at some point that they want him for the NBA, then they can sign him, with that first round deal locked in place. If not, then the can just stay in Europe, and the team drafting him never has to waste that cap space. So basically, the same example of guys like Ricky Rubio, Nikola Mirotic, Nikola Milutinov, and so forth.

There is another option, which would be a team could draft him higher than 15th and play him right away, if they are tanking. He would definitely be a great option for a lotto pick, for any team that is tanking. So for any team that you know is tanking on purpose, he's a definite obvious option.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,400
And1: 1,556
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#403 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:40 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:He didn't play for their B team from late November to late February. Are you trying to tell me that someone with those numbers was suddenly bad enough to get DNP-CDs lol


He wasn't playing during that time because he was injured. They didn't bench him. I can't remember his exact injury, but I think it was a back injury or something like that. He was out due to injury, not because he was getting DNP-CDs.

And the team was winning all their games without him, so there was no need to rush him back until he was fully healthy.

There is no conspiracy in European basketball to hide NBA draft prospects from NBA scouts. I don't know where this false narrative began, although I remember it really starting with guys like Kurucs, Bender, and Hezonja. Bottom line, none of it was true even 1% in those cases, and it's not true even 1% in Poku's case overall.

This is some kind of strange marketing gimmick for the NBA that US sports media has totally created out of thin air. There isn't even a single iota of truth to it.


It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.
Sea2003
Freshman
Posts: 94
And1: 56
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#404 » by Sea2003 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Drafting Poku isn't about immediate success, it's about realizing the skills he has, willing to take the time to help him develop both his skills and his body further, and then in 2-3 years hopefully have a player that went from raw but extremely talented like Giannis into an All-Star or better. A team that is already borderline playoff or is a playoff team and has multiple 1sts, like Boston, are the exact environments that will let Poku reach his full potential.


I don't think Boston would be a good fit considering how tight their rotation is. Best cast scenario, he plays 8 min per game. That isn't nearly enough for him to develop accordingly. I think New Orleans and OKC would be a better fit
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,968
And1: 1,187
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#405 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:33 pm

nolang1 wrote:It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.


European teams don't actually do that. Yet it keeps being claimed in these forums and in US sports media that they do. It's easily one of the most ridiculous myths ever created in sports.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 18,808
And1: 16,357
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#406 » by mademan » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:08 pm

I have no idea why you would draft Poku and leave him in Europe. It's no secret the NBA game is different and you want him developing here to maximize his NBA potential. Getting playing time on some 3rd tier league (cause he's not doing it in the best European leagues) is not gonna develop him as well as playing in G-league here
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,400
And1: 1,556
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#407 » by nolang1 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.


European teams don't actually do that. Yet it keeps being claimed in these forums and in US sports media that they do. It's easily one of the most ridiculous myths ever created in sports.


No, it's easily much less ridiculous than when people like you claim that European teams are so good that anyone less than an NBA all-star couldn't get playing time for them. There have been plenty of players like Kurucs over the years who have managed to not be the worst players in the NBA as rookies despite your insistence otherwise.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,142
And1: 12,723
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#408 » by UcanUwill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Stash him would be great, I mean did G league scrubs helped anyone? I would rather stash him on some FIBA champions league team than see him play G league, I dont really like that hes committed to come over right way, I think playing on a bit better team than G league team, with players who are there to actually win, not to just showcase themselves to PRO teams. But oh well, I mean Hartenstein dominates G league now, but Houston still think hes useless.
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,767
And1: 1,483
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#409 » by EvanZ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Stash him would be great, I mean did G league scrubs helped anyone? I would rather stash him on some FIBA champions league team than see him play G league, I dont really like that hes committed to come over right way, I think playing on a bit better team than G league team, with players who are there to actually win, not to just showcase themselves to PRO teams. But oh well, I mean Hartenstein dominates G league now, but Houston still think hes useless.


Seems to me the GL has always been worse for bigs than guards and wings. Damian Jones routinely dominated in the GL, and he's the worst basketball player ever.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#410 » by Revenged25 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Stash him would be great, I mean did G league scrubs helped anyone? I would rather stash him on some FIBA champions league team than see him play G league, I dont really like that hes committed to come over right way, I think playing on a bit better team than G league team, with players who are there to actually win, not to just showcase themselves to PRO teams. But oh well, I mean Hartenstein dominates G league now, but Houston still think hes useless.


Seems to me the GL has always been worse for bigs than guards and wings. Damian Jones routinely dominated in the GL, and he's the worst basketball player ever.


It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.
pad300
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 264
Joined: Feb 16, 2005

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#411 » by pad300 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Revenged25 wrote:It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.


Interesting idea, and IMO, insightful.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,142
And1: 12,723
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#412 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:22 pm

pad300 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.


Interesting idea, and IMO, insightful.


New Zalgiris coach who coached G league teams prior was asked postgame what is the biggest difference between this level level and G league, and he said the biggest difference is ball movement, and that open man at Euroleague level will be found on offense, where in G league he said you really need to ask player to pass to open man. It is not ideal environment for bigs especially.
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,968
And1: 1,187
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#413 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:New Zalgiris coach who coached G league teams prior was asked postgame what is the biggest difference between this level level and G league, and he said the biggest difference is ball movement, and that open man at Euroleague level will be found on offense, where in G league he said you really need to ask player to pass to open man. It is not ideal environment for bigs especially.


We've already seen Team USA's all star G-League team have struggles against national teams like Mexico, Uruguay, and Argentina that were also playing without NBA and EuroLeague players.

We also saw two straight FIBA Intercontinental Cup tournaments, where the G-League champions (also being reinforced by some NBA players), lost every game to teams from Brazil, Argentina (BCL Americas), and Basketball Champions League Europe.

And the games were pretty much blowouts. This tells us all we need to know about the level of the G-League.

Return to NBA Draft