And1: 10,253

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#21 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:34 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not sure how there's not already a dedicated thread. Have only just begun looking into Poku, but he's on the fringe of my Top 10 already. I think if you see someone his age with size and skill it's a super intriguing package. I'm sure some are afraid he's "next Bender", but I wouldn't let Bender's failure necessarily preclude me from being high on a similar prospect with likely a bit more athleticism, better rim protection, higher IQ, and even higher skill level, especially as a shooter and passer.

You know who his highlights remind me of? A young Keith Van Horn. Maybe when he was a sophomore in college.

I had a high socks phase because of KVH.

Not a bad comp. I have been all over the place with Poku. I've had him as low as ~22 and as high as 9 on my BB.

I think KVH would be a better player in today's NBA than in his era, just because there's more space on the floor now and the game isn't as physical. He came into the league and was forced to bang with really burly PFs in the late 90s.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#22 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Jack Dempsey wrote:Is he a draft&stash prospect or is he coming to the US next season?
If he comes over he's probably going to spend the majority of his Rookie season in the D-League.
Otherwise I could see him slipping to #31.
Anyway, I hope won't get pick too early. The pressure would be enormous. Just look at Bender, Bamba or Darko, amazing prospects but not NBA ready at all. Two of them still have a chance but Darko clearly failed.

His body is very weak. He's a long way away from making the rotation in Olympiacos. If he gets drafted and comes to the NBA next season, he's definitely going to the G-League. I think he would be better off just staying with Olympiacos' development program for a year or two.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#23 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm

I think Pokusevki is a clearly better prospect than Zach Collins in 2017, but he needs to get up to 220 - 225 lbs.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#24 » by Catchall » Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Watching him some more, he still reminds me of Keith Van Horn at the University of Utah. Keep in mind, Poku doesn't turn 19 until late December. He's basically a high school senior in these clips. He'll need probably two years to develop his body.

His best-case scenario could be a game similar to Chandler Parsons, but with Chris Bosh measurables (6'11" w/ 7'3" ws)

2:25 -- Pokusevski brings the ball up under some pressure. He handles the ball like a guard, going behind his back and crossing between both hands. He gets his defender moving backwards to hedge against the drive, and then he effortlessly raises up off a hang dribble to drain a mid-range jumper on the move. It shows body control, balance, awareness and touch.

3:10 -- Here he's pushing on the break. He takes off from about the foul line and extends to finish with a finger roll at the rim. Next sequence at 3:16, he takes the outlet pass, pushes the full length of the court, jumps off of one foot above the dotted circle and finishes with an easy flush at full speed.

3:41 -- Hits a 3pt shot above the break and off the dribble over a tight contest from a forward-sized defender.

4:09 -- He spaces out on the weak side and calls for the ball to hit a corner 3 without hesitation. The key here is his confidence to call for the ball, catch and shoot with a quick release.

4:16 -- He comes up to receive the ball above the break, fakes his defender, takes a dribble side-step and knocks down a 3, maintaining nice balance and focus throughout.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,149

Post#25 » by TB » Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Should go top 5. Has a lot of Lamar Odom and Toni Kukoc to his offensive game. Only in todays NBA, he may be able to get away playing C due to his size and decent rim protection.

I wish he was a little closer to a finished product, because he'd fit perfectly with todays Warriors... but only way they grab him is if they trade down and pick up a vet in the process (not a bad plan to win now while also getting a future talent).
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#26 » by EvanZ » Thu May 14, 2020 6:15 pm

TB wrote:Should go top 5. Has a lot of Lamar Odom and Toni Kukoc to his offensive game. Only in todays NBA, he may be able to get away playing C due to his size and decent rim protection.

I wish he was a little closer to a finished product, because he'd fit perfectly with todays Warriors... but only way they grab him is if they trade down and pick up a vet in the process (not a bad plan to win now while also getting a future talent).

Would love to trade down somehow for Marcus Smart and then pick up Poku or PatWill. In my dreams.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,149

Post#27 » by TB » Thu May 14, 2020 6:23 pm

EvanZ wrote:
TB wrote:Should go top 5. Has a lot of Lamar Odom and Toni Kukoc to his offensive game. Only in todays NBA, he may be able to get away playing C due to his size and decent rim protection.

Would love to trade down somehow for Marcus Smart and then pick up Poku or PatWill. In my dreams.

Perfect scenario for sure. 3 things would have to happen that I don't expect though (Smart being traded, Poku/Williams lasting to Celtics picks)

But yes, thats probably number 1 on my draft scenarios. 8-)
Catchall
RealGM

Post#28 » by Catchall » Thu May 14, 2020 10:05 pm

I want the Jazz to come away with this guy or Leandro Bolmaro. I think they'll have to move up to do it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#29 » by getrichordie » Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Catchall wrote:I want the Jazz to come away with this guy or Leandro Bolmaro. I think they'll have to move up to do it.

Maybe, maybe not. Bolmaro is still pretty raw. Could definitely see him being there at 24.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Catchall
RealGM

Post#30 » by Catchall » Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Catchall wrote:I want the Jazz to come away with this guy or Leandro Bolmaro. I think they'll have to move up to do it.

Maybe, maybe not. Bolmaro is still pretty raw. Could definitely see him being there at 24.

All the Jazz have to do is lose 2 or 3 games, and they can sneak by Miami, OKC and maybe Houston in the draft order. No reason to compete for home court in the playoffs this year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#31 » by SNPA » Fri May 15, 2020 7:49 pm

This guy screams Vlade.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#32 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2020 10:42 am

SNPA wrote:This guy screams Vlade.

Not at all
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#33 » by SNPA » Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Fischella wrote:
SNPA wrote:This guy screams Vlade.

Not at all

Is there a sarcasm font missing here?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#34 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Vlade knows hes on a hot seat, and if he selects another questionable Euro who busts, his career is done. Its a shame, but its better to pick NCAA bust than Euro bust here, he is not reaching this time.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#35 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Vlade has never really drafted a dude like Poku, nor has he drafted any good euros, he goes for meh traditional prospects, I have no clue why someone will correlate Poku to Divac
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#36 » by getrichordie » Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 pm

Fischella wrote:Vlade has never really drafted a dude like Poku, nor has he drafted any good euros, he goes for meh traditional prospects, I have no clue why someone will correlate Poku to Divac

I think he meant Divac the player.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Mirotic12 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:54 pm

getrichordie wrote:I think he meant Divac the player.

I've seen Poku playing in Greek 2nd Division. He's nothing at all like Divac. No way in hell can he play center. He was playing SF in Greek 2nd Division, which granted, is a men's pro league, and he's like a high school senior. But nonetheless, he was having issues with not being strong enough, at SF in Greek 2nd Division.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#38 » by getrichordie » Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Fischella wrote:Vlade has never really drafted a dude like Poku, nor has he drafted any good euros, he goes for meh traditional prospects, I have no clue why someone will correlate Poku to Divac

I've seen Puko playing in Greek 2nd Division. He's nothing at all like Divac. No way in hell can he play center at the pro level. He was playing SF in Greek 2nd Division, and was having issues with not being strong enough.

He also hasn't filled out and is the youngest player in the draft, IIRC.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Mirotic12 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I've seen Puko playing in Greek 2nd Division. He's nothing at all like Divac. No way in hell can he play center at the pro level. He was playing SF in Greek 2nd Division, and was having issues with not being strong enough.

He also hasn't filled out and is the youngest player in the draft, IIRC.

Yeah, he's like a high school senior. But still, no way in hell is he going to be a center.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#40 » by Catchall » Sun May 17, 2020 10:58 pm

If Poku is mobile enough, he'll play on the perimeter as a 4. If he's not, he'll have to add strength and play at the 5 like Pasecniks. He needs a year or two to work on his body either way.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft