Aleksej Pokusevski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 43,311
And1: 49,073
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#341 » by clyde21 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 pm

patman66 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Clem wrote:With boston having 3 1st. Rd. Picks the celtics will be at least looking at 1 maybe 2 draft and stash players poku makes more sense going to the celtics


Poku is not getting stashed


if he goes to the celts, I think he will. If he goes to the bucks later, I think he will.


Poku is not getting stashed
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
patman66
Rookie
Posts: 1,024
And1: 247
Joined: Dec 11, 2019
     

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#342 » by patman66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 pm

clyde21 wrote:if those are 45s then it's 135 lbs


I thought euro weights were 25Kilo, or maybe it is just the set we have. We counted as 55 lbs and that is probably a 200 cm bar so about 35 lb so about 150, which is plenty for that reach, he probably has to lift it 30"to extend.
patman66
Rookie
Posts: 1,024
And1: 247
Joined: Dec 11, 2019
     

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#343 » by patman66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Poku is not getting stashed


if he goes to the celts, I think he will. If he goes to the bucks later, I think he will.


Poku is not getting stashed


Just like the 6ers did with saric and about the same spot too. Hayward is on his last year of his deal and next year he can come over.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 18,733
And1: 16,268
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#344 » by mademan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 pm

patman66 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
if he goes to the celts, I think he will. If he goes to the bucks later, I think he will.


Poku is not getting stashed


Just like the 6ers did with saric and about the same spot too. Hayward is on his last year of his deal and next year he can come over.


It's a 2-way street. He has to want to get stashed, and everything ive read about him is he wants to come over. NBA first round salary is kind of a big attraction i cant see him forgoing.
kobyz
Senior
Posts: 662
And1: 147
Joined: Oct 31, 2006

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#345 » by kobyz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:06 pm

mademan wrote:
patman66 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Poku is not getting stashed


Just like the 6ers did with saric and about the same spot too. Hayward is on his last year of his deal and next year he can come over.


It's a 2-way street. He has to want to get stashed, and everything ive read about him is he wants to come over. NBA first round salary is kind of a big attraction i cant see him forgoing.

Does he have a buyout?
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 18,733
And1: 16,268
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#346 » by mademan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 pm

kobyz wrote:
mademan wrote:
patman66 wrote:
Just like the 6ers did with saric and about the same spot too. Hayward is on his last year of his deal and next year he can come over.


It's a 2-way street. He has to want to get stashed, and everything ive read about him is he wants to come over. NBA first round salary is kind of a big attraction i cant see him forgoing.

Does he have a buyout?


I think its at a mill. If a team drafts him in the top 20, and he's slated to make 5-6 mill on an NBA contract, i have no idea why he would chose to stay over. He's a project; getting into the NBA with NBA trainers and a team who's 100% behind getting the best out of you is the best way to make a career. Worst case scenario, you've made 6ish mill and can go back to Europe in 3 years
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
Posts: 3,625
And1: 2,574
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#347 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Ya, getting him into a NBA strength and conditioning regiment ASAP should be the #1 priority for any team that drafts him.
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,959
And1: 1,184
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#348 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 pm

mademan wrote:I think its at a mill. If a team drafts him in the top 20, and he's slated to make 5-6 mill on an NBA contract, i have no idea why he would chose to stay over. He's a project; getting into the NBA with NBA trainers and a team who's 100% behind getting the best out of you is the best way to make a career. Worst case scenario, you've made 6ish mill and can go back to Europe in 3 years


Yeah, his buyout is a million. But he wouldn't actually make 5-6 million. NBA contracts are gross, and the players have to pay taxes and agent fees out of it. So more like half that amount.

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, getting him into a NBA strength and conditioning regiment ASAP should be the #1 priority for any team that drafts him.


A big EuroLeague club has the same exact kinds of strength and conditioning programs that any NBA team has. So that really is irrelevant.

The difference isn't that. It's that in EuroLeague they don't have the "magic pills", because they actually have strict testing in Europe.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 18,733
And1: 16,268
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#349 » by mademan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:04 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
mademan wrote:I think its at a mill. If a team drafts him in the top 20, and he's slated to make 5-6 mill on an NBA contract, i have no idea why he would chose to stay over. He's a project; getting into the NBA with NBA trainers and a team who's 100% behind getting the best out of you is the best way to make a career. Worst case scenario, you've made 6ish mill and can go back to Europe in 3 years


Yeah, his buyout is a million. But he wouldn't actually make 5-6 million. NBA contracts are gross, and the players have to pay taxes and agent fees out of it. So more like half that amount.

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, getting him into a NBA strength and conditioning regiment ASAP should be the #1 priority for any team that drafts him.


A big EuroLeague club has the same exact kinds of strength and conditioning programs that any NBA team has. So that really is irrelevant.

The difference isn't that. It's that in EuroLeague they don't have the "magic pills", because they actually have strict testing in Europe.


Its over 3 years he'd be getting the 6 mill, even at half that with fees, it's more than he'd make in europe in the same time frame. And like i said, foot in the door in the NBA is a real thing. He doesnt even have to be great to get a second contract worth a lot more than he'd make in Europe.

And no matter what you think about steroids and such, NBA teams, by virtue of being bigger and richer, will be the best bet to get Poku's body to where it needs to be. And he can do that while acclimating to the NBA environment and the US as a whole. There arent many benefits to staying in Europe for him, if he eventually wants to play in the NBA
User avatar
TheSuzerain
RealGM
Posts: 13,148
And1: 8,323
Joined: Mar 29, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#350 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:17 pm

NBA teams can pay up to 750k of the buyout without tapping into the player's salary right?
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,764
And1: 1,481
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#351 » by EvanZ » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:02 pm

I heard Poku is already coming to the US to train, which is unlikely if he was intending to be stashed.
jezzerinho
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 149
Joined: Jul 08, 2019
     

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#352 » by jezzerinho » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Is it such a given that Poku will have to be a 4/5 in the NBA and therefore will need to bulk up massively?

Or is there a path for him as a wing/combo fwd, at least in his early years where he may struggle defending quicker wings but he's playing into his strengths?
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,651
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#353 » by Revenged25 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:27 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Is it such a given that Poku will have to be a 4/5 in the NBA and therefore will need to bulk up massively?

Or is there a path for him as a wing/combo fwd, at least in his early years where he may struggle defending quicker wings but he's playing into his strengths?


I don't think he'll ever be a real 5 in the NBA as putting on that kind of weight to play it will limit what makes him special. I think if he's paid with another player that can defend the quicker wings then he could defend 4s and play more as 3/4. So maybe someone like Jonathan Isaac would be a good pairing for him?
pad300
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,579
And1: 264
Joined: Feb 16, 2005

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#354 » by pad300 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:47 pm

I personally think he'll end up as a perimeter PF, so I don't expect a large/quick bulking up, and a peak playing weight of 230, maybe.
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,576
And1: 106
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#355 » by TB » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 pm

I think his build is a bit deceiving, it's the opposite of alot of bigs that bulk up their upper body but still have toothpicks for legs. Don't get me wrong, he's still really skinny, but his legs look a lot stockier than his narrow shoulders and noodle arms. Build reminds me alot of Bertans. I think he's going to be just fine from a size standpoint to play the 4 or 5.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,396
And1: 1,555
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#356 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:23 am

TB wrote:I think his build is a bit deceiving, it's the opposite of alot of bigs that bulk up their upper body but still have toothpicks for legs. Don't get me wrong, he's still really skinny, but his legs look a lot stockier than his narrow shoulders and noodle arms. Build reminds me alot of Bertans. I think he's going to be just fine from a size standpoint to play the 4 or 5.


Yeah the collective amnesia people have where they fail to remember how many skinny 18-year-olds put on 30-40 pounds once they get into the NBA is really weird. 220 pounds is easily obtainable for Pokusevski, and that’s totally fine for a combo forward. He also doesn’t let his lack of bulk prevent him from rebounding at a very good rate, especially when you factor in how much of a shotblocker he is.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,651
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#357 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:30 am

nolang1 wrote:
TB wrote:I think his build is a bit deceiving, it's the opposite of alot of bigs that bulk up their upper body but still have toothpicks for legs. Don't get me wrong, he's still really skinny, but his legs look a lot stockier than his narrow shoulders and noodle arms. Build reminds me alot of Bertans. I think he's going to be just fine from a size standpoint to play the 4 or 5.


Yeah the collective amnesia people have where they fail to remember how many skinny 18-year-olds put on 30-40 pounds once they get into the NBA is really weird. 220 pounds is easily obtainable for Pokusevski, and that’s totally fine for a combo forward. He also doesn’t let his lack of bulk prevent him from rebounding at a very good rate, especially when you factor in how much of a shotblocker he is.


I think a lot of people like him as a combo forward, just not as a F-C.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,396
And1: 1,555
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#358 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:34 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
TB wrote:I think his build is a bit deceiving, it's the opposite of alot of bigs that bulk up their upper body but still have toothpicks for legs. Don't get me wrong, he's still really skinny, but his legs look a lot stockier than his narrow shoulders and noodle arms. Build reminds me alot of Bertans. I think he's going to be just fine from a size standpoint to play the 4 or 5.


Yeah the collective amnesia people have where they fail to remember how many skinny 18-year-olds put on 30-40 pounds once they get into the NBA is really weird. 220 pounds is easily obtainable for Pokusevski, and that’s totally fine for a combo forward. He also doesn’t let his lack of bulk prevent him from rebounding at a very good rate, especially when you factor in how much of a shotblocker he is.


I think a lot of people like him as a combo forward, just not as a F-C.


And that's entirely arbitrary based on the lineup. When basically every prospect 6'6 and up gets talked about as a potential small ball 5, saying he's not a center is just saying that he's not strong enough to guard a small number of players like Embiid or Jokic in the post.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,651
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#359 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:38 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Yeah the collective amnesia people have where they fail to remember how many skinny 18-year-olds put on 30-40 pounds once they get into the NBA is really weird. 220 pounds is easily obtainable for Pokusevski, and that’s totally fine for a combo forward. He also doesn’t let his lack of bulk prevent him from rebounding at a very good rate, especially when you factor in how much of a shotblocker he is.


I think a lot of people like him as a combo forward, just not as a F-C.


And that's entirely arbitrary based on the lineup. When basically every prospect 6'6 and up gets talked about as a potential small ball 5, saying he's not a center is just saying that he's not strong enough to guard a small number of players like Embiid or Jokic in the post.


I mean small ball 5 isn't an actual 5 and is used for maybe 10-15 minutes a game, not 30+ minutes. Embiid, Jokic, Drummond, Adams, DAJ, Horford, etc. Even then I think his skillset is still better for a combo forward than a F-C, though obviously he can be a "small ball" 5 for 5-10 minutes a game, but you don't want him constantly banging with true centers in the paint as it will wear him down faster. I mean even Dirk played center at times when needed though he was more ideal at PF.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,396
And1: 1,555
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#360 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:11 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
I think a lot of people like him as a combo forward, just not as a F-C.


And that's entirely arbitrary based on the lineup. When basically every prospect 6'6 and up gets talked about as a potential small ball 5, saying he's not a center is just saying that he's not strong enough to guard a small number of players like Embiid or Jokic in the post.


I mean small ball 5 isn't an actual 5 and is used for maybe 10-15 minutes a game, not 30+ minutes. Embiid, Jokic, Drummond, Adams, DAJ, Horford, etc. Even then I think his skillset is still better for a combo forward than a F-C, though obviously he can be a "small ball" 5 for 5-10 minutes a game, but you don't want him constantly banging with true centers in the paint as it will wear him down faster. I mean even Dirk played center at times when needed though he was more ideal at PF.


Yeah I don't know what strawman you're trying to put up here. Nobody is saying he's a center.

Return to NBA Draft