Tyrese Maxey

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Re: Tyrese Maxey 

Post#21 » by CoreyVillains » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:should be top 5 on everyone's lists at least, a top tier 6th man is his baseline, good chance he's a lot better than that too

a really good combo guard who isn't a negative defensively is highly valuable

I currently have him as the second best guard in the class. Maybe I’m too high on him improving the jumper, but everything looks good enough that I don’t believe raising that release point is going to be an issue for him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892

Post#22 » by Klomp » Sun May 10, 2020 11:56 pm

There's still a decent amount of skepticism, but I'm still so high on him as a prospect. Easily my biggest draft crush since I really started looking into him two months ago. Maybe I need to be careful I'm not buying into the hype so much, but there are times while watching him where I actually get some Dwyane Wade vibes from him (not as an athlete).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,426

Post#23 » by azcatz11 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:32 am

Looks like this board was spot on with Maxey. Well played
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#24 » by crows2 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:12 am

Yet another great guard to come out of the Kentucky factory. Whilst Calipari may cop a lot of flak for his recent on court results, it’s hard to deny he knows how to find/develop elite guards. It’ll be interesting to watch how Wagner, Dillingham, and even Edwards track this year and into the future.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:24 pm

crows2 wrote:Yet another great guard to come out of the Kentucky factory. Whilst Calipari may cop a lot of flak for his recent on court results, it’s hard to deny he knows how to find/develop elite guards. It’ll be interesting to watch how Wagner, Dillingham, and even Edwards track this year and into the future.

It's not hard to find the top ranked guards lol. Calipari recruits them, hides them in his offense and then they apparently revert to being good in the NBA. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,142

Post#26 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 pm

And they only play for him for 1 year so it's hard to give Calipari too much credit. If a guy is 23 yrs old, started playing basketball competitively at age 10, that means he played for Calipari for only 1 out of the 13 yrs he played competitive basketball. So why are we giving Calipari so much credit?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:36 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Looks like this board was spot on with Maxey. Well played

Holy crap I nailed it!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,426

Post#28 » by azcatz11 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 pm

Klomp wrote:

Holy crap I nailed it!

Yes but don’t let it get to your head :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:49 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Holy crap I nailed it!

Yes but don’t let it get to your head :lol:

I once predicted Meyers Leonard as having the most potential in the 2012 class (Davis, Lillard, Beal, Green, Middleton). I'll take any win I can!

crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#30 » by crows2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:20 am

Hal14 wrote:And they only play for him for 1 year so it's hard to give Calipari too much credit. If a guy is 23 yrs old, started playing basketball competitively at age 10, that means he played for Calipari for only 1 out of the 13 yrs he played competitive basketball. So why are we giving Calipari so much credit?

Because no other college coach seems to be able to do it at the same level of consistency as Cal. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t see busts from any top college. It’s naive to think that college coaches don’t play a significant role in a player’s development, even if it’s only for one year. I’m not the biggest Cal fan as a coach, but Kentucky certainly seems to be the safest option for a guard who has NBA aspirations.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,142

Post#31 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm

crows2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:And they only play for him for 1 year so it's hard to give Calipari too much credit. If a guy is 23 yrs old, started playing basketball competitively at age 10, that means he played for Calipari for only 1 out of the 13 yrs he played competitive basketball. So why are we giving Calipari so much credit?

Because no other college coach seems to be able to do it at the same level of consistency as Cal. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t see busts from any top college. It’s naive to think that college coaches don’t play a significant role in a player’s development, even if it’s only for one year. I’m not the biggest Cal fan as a coach, but Kentucky certainly seems to be the safest option for a guard who has NBA aspirations.

He just recruits the best guards. He's good at recruiting.

Sure, college coaches play somewhat of a role in the development of their players. But it's not as big a role as you seem to be implying for one and dones. Especially once a player is in his fifth season in the league like Maxey is - at that point, most of his development has to be attributed to his own work ethic as well as the coaches and trainers who have helped him at the NBA level.

After all, he dropped in the draft due to meh stats he put up in his 1 season at Kentucky. So did Tyty Washington and others.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to NBA Draft