Haliburton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Haliburton 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:he's Warriors version Iguodala to me, he can play that role, that's why i want him on on this team

Well this is setting yourself up for disappointment.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#42 » by babyjax13 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm

The player comps in this thread are just bizarre.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:25 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:he's Warriors version Iguodala to me, he can play that role, that's why i want him on on this team

why can't he play the Iggy role? :-?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#44 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Isn't the hope that Haliburton will be something akin to SGA? He doesn't have the size, length, strength and explosive athleticism that Iggy had. Iggy could defend 4 positions and was a legit slasher on offense.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#45 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Catchall wrote:Isn't the hope that Haliburton will be something akin to SGA? He doesn't have the size, length, strength and explosive athleticism that Iggy had. Iggy could defend 4 positions and was a legit slasher on offense.

thats why I said WARRIORS iggy
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#46 » by getrichordie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:Isn't the hope that Haliburton will be something akin to SGA? He doesn't have the size, length, strength and explosive athleticism that Iggy had. Iggy could defend 4 positions and was a legit slasher on offense.

I kind of can see what you are talking about because Iggy was a glue guy but he could play all 5 positions for GSW. I don't think Haliburton ever has that kind of versatility nor athleticism (even Warriors' Iggy athleticism).
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You mean why can't he guard LeBron in the Finals? Hmm let me think.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#48 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:07 pm

I don't really see an Iguodala in this draft, but you might be able to get some of the same impact with Okoro.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#49 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You mean why can't he guard LeBron in the Finals? Hmm let me think.

oh so he can't guard the possible GOAT, throw the comp out the window :roll:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:12 pm

getrichordie wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I kind of can see what you are talking about because Iggy was a glue guy but he could play all 5 positions for GSW. I don't think Haliburton ever has that kind of versatility nor athleticism (even Warriors' Iggy athleticism).

5 positions? iggy didn't play 5 positions for the warriors what the heck are you all talking about?

Iggy in the death lineup was our 1, same position that Haliburton would play...outside of that he was a wing/secondary handler who defended primarily on the perimeter
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#51 » by getrichordie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

5 positions? iggy didn't play 5 positions for the warriors what the heck are you all talking about?

Iggy in the death lineup was our 1, same position that Haliburton would play...outside of that he was a wing/secondary handler who defended primarily on the perimeter

Didn't say he played all 5 positions. I'm saying he could play all 5 for GSW.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#52 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:25 pm

^ no, he couldn't, Iguodala never really guarded PFs so Cs so I'm not sure what you're talking about, he was primarily a perimeter defender on guards/wings, that was the majority of his role defensively

Haliburton is a 6-5 swingman with a 7 foot wingspan that can defend 1-3, is good at the POA and in help defense, high bbiq, can run offense/pass, and hit open shots

that's like literally what Iguodala was for us in GS...by the time he got to GS Iguodala's game was muchhhh more about finesse and IQ than it was about speed and athleticism.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:38 am

clyde21 wrote:^ no, he couldn't, Iguodala never really guarded PFs so Cs so I'm not sure what you're talking about, he was primarily a perimeter defender on guards/wings, that was the majority of his role defensively

Haliburton is a 6-5 swingman with a 7 foot wingspan that can defend 1-3, is good at the POA and in help defense, high bbiq, can run offense/pass, and hit open shots

that's like literally what Iguodala was for us in GS...by the time he got to GS Iguodala's game was muchhhh more about finesse and IQ than it was about speed and athleticism.

Halliburton can switch onto perimeter players, but he's not strong like Iggy was and will be at a mismatch disadvantage when he goes onto stronger guys (not just bigger guys). They just really aren't similar players, even if their skillsets are being smart + playing solid defense. Haliburton is a way better passer, even old Iggy was still a pretty monstrous defender out on the perimeter - don't think Haliburton will be that disruptive. If anything, Haliburton is more like Shaun Livingston with a jumper and slightly less length + more bounce. I love him to death, I just don't see the player you see.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:01 am

babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:^ no, he couldn't, Iguodala never really guarded PFs so Cs so I'm not sure what you're talking about, he was primarily a perimeter defender on guards/wings, that was the majority of his role defensively

Halliburton can switch onto perimeter players, but he's not strong like Iggy was and will be at a mismatch disadvantage when he goes onto stronger guys (not just bigger guys). They just really aren't similar players, even if their skillsets are being smart + playing solid defense. Haliburton is a way better passer, even old Iggy was still a pretty monstrous defender out on the perimeter - don't think Haliburton will be that disruptive. If anything, Haliburton is more like Shaun Livingston with a jumper and slightly less length + more bounce. I love him to death, I just don't see the player you see.

nah, Liv was much more on ball than either Iggy or Hali, Liv had a real live dribble and mid-range game that Hali will never have, also Liv never even attempted 3s, at least Iggy will and make them, Liv was also at the POA defensively but wasn't a guy to really disrupt and create transition opps like Iggy and Hali can

also Iggy is a great passer, super cerebral and can run offense, he essentially ran point on our Death Lineups for 4 years.

again, we're talking about roles here...for Hali he can come in, defend 1-3, take point when we need him to, be a spot-up shooter off-ball and run in transition...that's literally the Iguodala role for the Warriors
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:41 am

clyde21 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

nah, Liv was much more on ball than either Iggy or Hali, Liv had a real live dribble and mid-range game that Hali will never have, also Liv never even attempted 3s, at least Iggy will and make them, Liv was also at the POA defensively but wasn't a guy to really disrupt and create transition opps like Iggy and Hali can

also Iggy is a great passer, super cerebral and can run offense, he essentially ran point on our Death Lineups for 4 years.

again, we're talking about roles here...for Hali he can come in, defend 1-3, take point when we need him to, be a spot-up shooter off-ball and run in transition...that's literally the Iguodala role for the Warriors

Fair enough on roles, although I don't think you'd ideally be slotting him in as anything but a 1 that can switch when needed, maybe occasionally a 2 next to steph. Per most accurate comp, I think it's Lonzo Ball with a jumper, someone who is elite at pinging the ball around the court without having to dominate it. Halli is a bit more shifty/less bulky, so it isn't perfect. I'm excited to see him in the league. I do think he is a good fit for GSW.

JColl
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#56 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 pm

I wanted to comp TH with SL considering the body archetype being my main argument. SL pre injury was way more explosive vertically and horizontally. TH will need to gain 20+ w/o losing much foot speed. He relies way too much on leaners and floaters. In his highlights you rarely see much and 1s or him finishing through contact.

My main issue is with his shot. His mechanics are similar to Mark Jackson which is not ideal. Actually their games are fairly similar with the craftiness. I need some combine numbers on him to give a final verdict.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 12:29 am

getrichordie
General Manager

Post#58 » by getrichordie » Sun May 10, 2020 7:53 am

https://vimeo.com/378549667

Just watched this lengthy video of Haliburton running P&Rs which is going to be a huge part of his offensive game at the next level, and I have to say, I came away very unimpressed. He just looks uncomfortable. His left hand definitely looks uncomfortable and he missed a lot of simple reads and lacks burst to take advantage of defense being out of position.

At this point, I think his calling card has to be his defense and C&S ability. I'm kind of seeing now as a 3&D guy who will be able to play-make a little at the next level. Hate his shooting form, especially from deep. Mid-range isn't so bad. Reminds me of Livingston.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#59 » by The-Power » Sun May 10, 2020 9:36 am

getrichordie wrote:Just watched this lengthy video of Haliburton running P&Rs which is going to be a huge part of his offensive game at the next level, and I have to say, I came away very unimpressed.

That's the thing, though: you don't draft Haliburton to be a PnR-heavy Guard at the next level. Does it limit his ceiling? Yes, I believe so, too. Is it a big problem that he's limited in PnRs? No, as long as you're not asking of him to play like a player he's not. I don't see a reason why this would necessary be a ‘huge part of his offensive game’, as you claim.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#60 » by getrichordie » Sun May 10, 2020 9:47 am

The-Power wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Just watched this lengthy video of Haliburton running P&Rs which is going to be a huge part of his offensive game at the next level, and I have to say, I came away very unimpressed.

That's the thing, though: you don't draft Haliburton to be a PnR-heavy Guard at the next level. Does it limit his ceiling? Yes, I believe so, too. Is it a big problem that he's limited in PnRs? No, as long as you're not asking of him to play like a player he's not. I don't see a reason why this would necessary be a ‘huge part of his offensive game’, as you claim.

Well where does his offense come from at the next level? Just spot ups, backdoor cuts, and transition finishes? That's basically what his offense is relegated to if he's not running P&Rs. If that's the case, there are guys I'd rather have that can do those things and defend at a high level.
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to NBA Draft