Ja(d)en McDaniels

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#41 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sun May 3, 2020 5:32 am

Stillwater wrote:Highlight reels are great for posers...
What I saw that rubbed me wrong after having high expectations pre season is he is almost always
pressing/ forcing his will instead of letting it come to him. He might have the
cockiness to back it up but the lack of game to make it worth backing it up and the lack of
strength to be taken serious at the next level without making a significantly higher %
of the shots he takes that he shouldn't be taking out of the rhythm of the offense.
His upside is elite, and he has been put in a box , so I respect the opinions defending him.
I do not hold a ton of weight in my perceptions of
his attitude or body language, but he failed to back up the hype
coming into the season, and so no matter how many positives he has to dub into
highlight film, it cant hide the legit concerns of having a short fuse and unjustified in most cases, makes
me think the IQ as a player is farther away than suggested.
Let me guess it was his ankle that caused the techs the poor shooting % and the inability to
finish well in traffic?
didn't think so

What you saw? I don't think you really saw anything. Half of the techs against Jaden were very questionable (Montana, Utah, Arizona) not to mention that Pac-12 refs were targeting him all season long. And Pac-12 refs are some of the most crooked refs in NCAA basketball word to Larry Scott (Pac-12 commissioner) and Ed Rush. If you don't know about the Ed Rush-Sean Miller situation- google it up.

Plus, by the end of the season Jaden was the player calming other teammates down when things got heated on the court showing that he was learning from some of his earlier mistakes like when he threw the ball at he UCLA player while sitting on the bench. Maturation is a process and Jaden was maturing right in front of our collective eyes if one cared to pay close attention in real time and just not link up sports articles.

Who created the hype, expectations? Media? The truth is that the UW had a very young team with only one senior (Sam Timmons) on the roster and two juniors (Naz Carter, Hameir Wright) who weren't leaders. Coach Mike Hopkins lost many a game for the UW with his refusal to deviate from the 2-3 zone and his lack of coaching acumen to implement in game adjustments on both ends of the court.

Mike Hopkins offense mostly consisted of forced feeding Isaiah Stewart in the post and Pac-12 refs allowed opponents to hack Stewart and Jaden to death. A ref even came up to Stewart at halftime of their Oregon game and told him that he couldn't use his natural strength to ward off defenders as per Stewart in a post game presser. FYI Jaden was dunking on people to finish the season as he was getting stronger from all the weight room work he put in which will continue into the NBA where he can focus on basketball 100% of his time with no classes to worry about.

So you can go be a poser with your linked up article and bitter attitude towards one of the most talented prospects in this 2020 NBA draft. It wouldn't surprise me to see Jaden drafted in the top 10 when all is said and done after GMs/scouts do their complete homework on Jaden.



User avatar
big-shot-ROB
Senior
Posts: 733
And1: 622
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#42 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun May 3, 2020 9:50 am

He threw the ball to another player from the bench? lol
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#43 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sun May 3, 2020 10:07 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:He threw the ball to another player from the bench? lol

Jaden was sitting on the bench and the basketball ended up in his hands he then threw it back at a UCLA player. The ref saw it and called him for a technical foul.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#44 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Wed May 6, 2020 7:41 pm

nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 1,515
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#45 » by nolang1 » Thu May 7, 2020 5:52 am

Catchall wrote:The question with McDaniels is whether he'll be able to mature physically enough to get to the rim and finish in the NBA. That's really it. The jumper and the basic ball skills are there, and he has potential as a help-side defender. However, he's got to be a threat to score off the dribble in order to get some separation from defenders and open up his game.

Like Jonathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram, it's probably going to be a couple seasons before he has much impact. A player with that body type who cuts hard also might carry some extra risk of a knee injury, imo, so I would price that in.


Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,199
And1: 3,289
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#46 » by Fischella » Thu May 7, 2020 8:01 am

Ingram is a far case because he hasn't added much and it was obvious that he wouldn't, still he was way more skilled than Jaden and his frame was already better

But Giannis and Isaac were obviously going to get huge, like you could see that from when they were 17-18 just by looking at hteir bodies, yes they were skinny but they had the frame and body structure to widen up easy

Makes 0 sense to bring them up in this discussion imo
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#47 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 4:03 pm

No, Ingram wasn't far more skilled than Jaden. Jaden has an elite skill level plus is a better overall defender than Brandon was in college especially when it comes to shot blocking. Also, Jaden (6'10) is about an inch or two taller than Ingram and may still be growing.

Nope, Giannis and Isaac weren't obviously going to get huge. They got bigger by putting in dedicated work in the weight room. Jaden (19 years old) has the body to get bigger as well if he hits the weights and changes his diet to a high calorie one.

Your response makes zero sense...
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#48 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 4:13 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Catchall wrote:The question with McDaniels is whether he'll be able to mature physically enough to get to the rim and finish in the NBA. That's really it. The jumper and the basic ball skills are there, and he has potential as a help-side defender. However, he's got to be a threat to score off the dribble in order to get some separation from defenders and open up his game.

Like Jonathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram, it's probably going to be a couple seasons before he has much impact. A player with that body type who cuts hard also might carry some extra risk of a knee injury, imo, so I would price that in.


Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.

Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill not a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#49 » by Stillwater » Thu May 7, 2020 5:21 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Catchall wrote:The question with McDaniels is whether he'll be able to mature physically enough to get to the rim and finish in the NBA. That's really it. The jumper and the basic ball skills are there, and he has potential as a help-side defender. However, he's got to be a threat to score off the dribble in order to get some separation from defenders and open up his game.

Like Jonathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram, it's probably going to be a couple seasons before he has much impact. A player with that body type who cuts hard also might carry some extra risk of a knee injury, imo, so I would price that in.


Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.

Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill no a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.

Dude...really?
so you are basically admitting he is soft now but that's ok with you lol :lol:
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#50 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 5:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.

Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill not a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.

Dude...really?
so you are basically admitting he is soft now but that's ok with you lol :lol:

No, the NBA is a soft league- comprehension is a mental extension, Einstein.

Stillwater with a Stillbrain that logic doesn't run through...

Sir, Ease up with the insults. You've been given a warning. Thanks. - Ruz
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 1,515
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#51 » by nolang1 » Thu May 7, 2020 6:16 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Catchall wrote:The question with McDaniels is whether he'll be able to mature physically enough to get to the rim and finish in the NBA. That's really it. The jumper and the basic ball skills are there, and he has potential as a help-side defender. However, he's got to be a threat to score off the dribble in order to get some separation from defenders and open up his game.

Like Jonathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram, it's probably going to be a couple seasons before he has much impact. A player with that body type who cuts hard also might carry some extra risk of a knee injury, imo, so I would price that in.


Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.

Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill not a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.


Setting aside the obvious points that you can’t just change your frame/genetics with hard work and two brothers are in fact going to be more similar in that regard than two unrelated individuals, 33 percent on 3s and 2 assists versus 3 turnovers a game is not indicative of a very high skill level.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#52 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 6:30 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Based on his brother, the answer is not very likely. I had Jalen as an upside gamble around 15-20 in the 2018 draft based on the same logic (maybe when he fills out he becomes not only stronger but quicker and more explosive a la Giannis or Ingram). He came back basically the same player the following year (except less efficient since he was trying to show off his perimeter game) and his stock went down in what was a weaker 2019 draft.Ingram and Giannis (especially Giannis, who was basically malnourished growing up in poverty in Greece) were both longer and had a lot more room to grow than the McDaniels brothers. Then someone like Isaac was just an amazing prospect on the defensive end and has been somewhat of a dud on offense.

Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill not a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.


Setting aside the obvious points that you can’t just change your frame/genetics with hard work and two brothers are in fact going to be more similar in that regard than two unrelated individuals, 33 percent on 3s and 2 assists versus 3 turnovers a game is not indicative of a very high skill level.

A person can change their frame with a combination of hard work in the weight room and a high calorie diet. You are going based on stats. PoliSci 101 stats are another way to lie. I am going based on the eye test of actually watching him play. Jaden is only 19 years old and will maximize his talents as he can now concentrate on basketball 100% of his time with no classes to worry about. His skill level (passing, dribbling, shooting) for a player his size is elite. Plus he is a very good shot blocker/shot alterer as well as deflects, steals a lot of passes on defense with his length. Not to mention that he runs the floor like a gazelle at 6'10.

nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 1,515
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#53 » by nolang1 » Thu May 7, 2020 6:52 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:Based on his brother? Jalen and Jaden are two different people. Jaden is 2 years younger than Jalen. Giannis (and Isaac) didn't get bigger overnight it was a process that took years of dedication and hard work. Time will tell with Jaden but if he puts in the work his body will fill out. But remember the NBA today is a finesse league based on skill not a power league based on muscles. And Jaden has a very high skill level that is perfect for the NBA's wide open game.


Setting aside the obvious points that you can’t just change your frame/genetics with hard work and two brothers are in fact going to be more similar in that regard than two unrelated individuals, 33 percent on 3s and 2 assists versus 3 turnovers a game is not indicative of a very high skill level.


A person can change their frame with a combination of hard work in the weight room and a high calorie diet. You are going based on stats. PoliSci 101 stats are another way to lie. I am going based on the eye test of actually watching him play. Jaden is only 19 years old and will maximize his talents as he can now concentrate on basketball 100% of his time with no classes to worry about. His skill level (passing, dribbling, shooting) for a player his size is elite. Plus he is a very good shot blocker/shot alterer as well as deflects, steals a lot of passes on defense with his length. Not to mention that he runs the floor like a gazelle at 6'10.



Lol what exercises do you do to make your wingspan 4 inches longer? Just because someone is skinny doesn’t mean they automatically have a long wingspan, and you continually misrepresent his size by comparing him to someone like Giannis or Durant.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#54 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 6:58 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Setting aside the obvious points that you can’t just change your frame/genetics with hard work and two brothers are in fact going to be more similar in that regard than two unrelated individuals, 33 percent on 3s and 2 assists versus 3 turnovers a game is not indicative of a very high skill level.


A person can change their frame with a combination of hard work in the weight room and a high calorie diet. You are going based on stats. PoliSci 101 stats are another way to lie. I am going based on the eye test of actually watching him play. Jaden is only 19 years old and will maximize his talents as he can now concentrate on basketball 100% of his time with no classes to worry about. His skill level (passing, dribbling, shooting) for a player his size is elite. Plus he is a very good shot blocker/shot alterer as well as deflects, steals a lot of passes on defense with his length. Not to mention that he runs the floor like a gazelle at 6'10.



Lol what exercises do you do to make your wingspan 4 inches longer? Just because someone is skinny doesn’t mean they automatically have a long wingspan, and you continually misrepresent his size by comparing him to someone like Giannis or Durant.

Wow, you have really gone off of the edge. Who said anything about increasing his wingspan? I'm talking about increasing his muscle mass in the weight room and with his diet. Comprehension is a mental extension. :sleep:

Others have compared McDaniels to KD.



User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,221
And1: 1,729
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#55 » by getrichordie » Thu May 7, 2020 7:13 pm

Not trying to get in the middle of this kerfuffle but FWIW, once a player is done growing, their frame doesn't change. Your frame is literally a part of your DNA. You can add as much muscle and do as many exercises as you want, but it won't change your frame.
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#56 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 7:32 pm

getrichordie wrote:Not trying to get in the middle of this kerfuffle but FWIW, once a player is done growing, their frame doesn't change. Your frame is literally a part of your DNA. You can add as much muscle and do as many exercises as you want, but it won't change your frame.

I meant muscle mass added to the body frame from weight lifting, diet. Not changing their frame per say but changing their body type. I apologize for any confusion that my post caused. Hope that clears it up...
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,221
And1: 1,729
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#57 » by getrichordie » Thu May 7, 2020 7:47 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Not trying to get in the middle of this kerfuffle but FWIW, once a player is done growing, their frame doesn't change. Your frame is literally a part of your DNA. You can add as much muscle and do as many exercises as you want, but it won't change your frame.

I meant muscle mass added to the body frame from weight lifting, diet. Not changing their frame per say but changing their body type. I apologize for any confusion that my post caused. Hope that clears it up...


It's all good. I knew what you were getting at. The problem with McDaniels is that his frame isn't great and while he can still add muscle and get stronger, he still has a thin upper body and that doesn't bode well when bodying up other players.

I think his value in the NBA is going to be as a potential sixth man who can score from all over the floor once he gets stronger and also play the passing lanes and provide some helpside rim-protection. If he gets his foot work right, I think he can be a tall 2 if his shot is real. With good defensive coaching, he should be able to cause problems for 1s-3s but I think he's going to be too small to guard 4s or affect 5s.
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#58 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 8:21 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Not trying to get in the middle of this kerfuffle but FWIW, once a player is done growing, their frame doesn't change. Your frame is literally a part of your DNA. You can add as much muscle and do as many exercises as you want, but it won't change your frame.

I meant muscle mass added to the body frame from weight lifting, diet. Not changing their frame per say but changing their body type. I apologize for any confusion that my post caused. Hope that clears it up...


It's all good. I knew what you were getting at. The problem with McDaniels is that his frame isn't great and while he can still add muscle and get stronger, he still has a thin upper body and that doesn't bode well when bodying up other players.

I think his value in the NBA is going to be as a potential sixth man who can score from all over the floor once he gets stronger and also play the passing lanes and provide some helpside rim-protection. If he gets his foot work right, I think he can be a tall 2 if his shot is real. With good defensive coaching, he should be able to cause problems for 1s-3s but I think he's going to be too small to guard 4s or affect 5s.

I think Jaden McDaniels has number option potential and most definitely will be a NBA starter. In today's small ball era Jaden will be fine against 1s-4s and some small ball 5s as well. He can take bigger players outside and smaller players inside.

Once Jaden gets used to the NBA game I believe that his skill set will set him apart from average players. Being able to focus 100% of his time on basketball in a professional environment is going to do wonders to speed up his development in my mind.

Jaden from what I know about him is a gym rat that doesn't do the club scene nor smoke or drink. While others are out partying he will be in the gym/weightroom getting better one day at a time focusing on his craft.

Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,199
And1: 3,289
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#59 » by Fischella » Thu May 7, 2020 9:13 pm

Yoda is that you?
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 497
Joined: Apr 21, 2020

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#60 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 10:32 pm


We filmed Federal Way (Washington) forward prospect Jaden McDaniels as he went through his pregame workout at the 2019 HoopHall Classic in Springfield, Massachusetts. The 6-11, 180 pound and 18-year-old is the top prospect in our updated 2020 Mock NBA Draft on ESPN- Draft Express


Full uncut interview of uncommitted senior prospect Jaden McDaniels from the 2019 McDonald's All American Game in Atlanta, Georgia via Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Bauman- Draft Express


Jaden McDaniels: Potential 2020 Top 5 NBA Draft Pick at the Big Apple Showcase- Draft Express


Jaden McDaniels 2018 USA U18 Training Camp Interview- Draft Express

Return to NBA Draft