Draft Strategy

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Re: Draft Strategy 

Post#21 » by The-Power » Fri May 1, 2020 12:52 am

getrichordie wrote:basically it sounds like it boils down to these four factors:

— athleticism (measurements, fluidity, explosiveness, quickness, etc.)

— basketball I.Q. (decision-making, ability to read defense/offense, situational awareness, foul-drawing, etc.)

— skill set (footwork, mechanics, finishing, ball-handling, c&s ability, etc.)

— fit (tweener?, role on offense? role on defense? on-ball? off-ball?, etc.)

You could add a fifth (potential) but I think that would be based on those four factors.

Fit seems to directly stem from the combination of the other categories, so I don't think it's an extra category. What's missing in my eyes is mentality – competitiveness, drive, confidence, teamwork, unselfishness etc. It's incredibly important for fit and potential as well.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#22 » by getrichordie » Fri May 1, 2020 12:58 am

The-Power wrote:
getrichordie wrote:basically it sounds like it boils down to these four factors:

— athleticism (measurements, fluidity, explosiveness, quickness, etc.)

— basketball I.Q. (decision-making, ability to read defense/offense, situational awareness, foul-drawing, etc.)

— skill set (footwork, mechanics, finishing, ball-handling, c&s ability, etc.)

— fit (tweener?, role on offense? role on defense? on-ball? off-ball?, etc.)

You could add a fifth (potential) but I think that would be based on those four factors.

Fit seems to directly stem from the combination of the other categories, so I don't think it's an extra category. What's missing in my eyes is mentality – competitiveness, drive, confidence, teamwork, unselfishness etc. It's incredibly important for fit and potential as well.

Fair point. That should go under intangibles. I don't know how you measure that, though. Do you just go off of public perception, what coach and teammates or saying, or what?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#23 » by The-Power » Fri May 1, 2020 9:47 am

getrichordie wrote:Fair point. That should go under intangibles. I don't know how you measure that, though. Do you just go off of public perception, what coach and teammates or saying, or what?

It's for sure difficult. I believe you can get some idea from watching the players play, listen to them talk and follow their development, or from some background information through reports and comments of former coaches etc. But ultimately we know too little to make confident judgements about most playeers and that's a problem. I know others disregard intangibles almost completely because there is limited information available and I understand the impulse; but ultimately it's too important as a factor for future success to just disregard it, in my eyes.

Return to NBA Draft