Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1661 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:58 pm

nolang1 wrote:
mirmil wrote:So Nuggets kind of filled their backcourt. As far as I can see they are in need of SG. Which SGs could drop this year around 23rd draft pick? Which of them do you think would fit Nuggets the best from them all you listed?

Looking through the draft, there are a lot of players at this position I like when it's been relatively hard to come by them in recent years. A couple pages back I talked about Chris Duarte as someone who I see having no problem plugging in on a good team despite his age. Joel Ayayi is also ascending to that point where even if he's not going to be a big scorer, it's hard for me to see him not sticking around for a while. Aaron Henry from Michigan State is one of my favorite sleepers where he can really be an excellent defender from the two-guard spot and has improved well throughout college while being thrust into a bigger offensive role than he'll play in the NBA. I haven't done a deep dive on Davion Mitchell, who will probably rise past Denver's pick if he continues his play from the tournament, but it's hard not to love his defense.Then there are guys like Boston or Ziaire who definitely fit the bill of players Denver will take a chance on sight unseen if they happen to fall to the 20s.

I really like Aaron Henry but the point with him is to play him at that 3-4 hybrid role, alla Winslow, putting him at SG is shooting yourself in the foot

Duarte is a good one, Mitchell I would be surprised if he goes all that high eventually, considering they liked Hampton I'd not be surprised if they were into BJ yeah
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1662 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Moody has no burst and no handle.. he looks like he knows how to play though and should be a good shooter and decent athlete but will probably be a bench guy. Reminds me Brandon Rush

I think he's very much this year's Saddiq Bey, in that it should be really clear what he is good at, and those things should translate, but he probably doesn't have a super high ceiling. I like him in the 10-20 range just fine, but not before - didn't really understand why people had him over Bouknight or Dosunmu.

What do you even think Ayo is? hardly a NBA prospect
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1663 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:08 pm

Fischella wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Juzang is working himself into a top 20 prospect at this point imo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Givony, is this you?

You must be a sour michigan fan smh
He gets whatever he wants pretty easy with noone really able to stop him so i like his chances to play well in the league and my comment of top 20 is based on garnering a lot of attention after carrying ucla to the final 4. Not sure who you think plays like that wouldn't
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1664 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:11 pm

Oh yeah he gets whatever he wants pretty easily, that's why he has a bad FTr and only 13.7% of his shot attempts come at the rim (where he finishes at a mediocre rate)

He is a good shooter that can defend some, but doesn't have the all around game or the tools athletically to be much, sure he could maybe be a rotation player if everything goes well, but the floor with him is too low and the ceiling doesn't justify taking him not just top20, but top40

There are literally dozens of guys like him in every draft class
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1665 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:36 pm

Fischella wrote:Oh yeah he gets whatever he wants pretty easily, that's why he has a bad FTr and only 13.7% of his shot attempts come at the rim (where he finishes at a mediocre rate)

He is a good shooter that can defend some, but doesn't have the all around game or the tools athletically to be much, sure he could maybe be a rotation player if everything goes well, but the floor with him is too low and the ceiling doesn't justify taking him not just top20, but top40

There are literally dozens of guys like him in every draft class

Sure there is lol but only one who just beat a 1 seed and a 2 seed on his way to the final 4.
Attention matters with half interested nba scouts.
I like him to be a rotation player easy in the NBA but he has some work to do but is young enough to invest a pick in that 15-20 range over lower ceiling types with similar resumes
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1666 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:23 pm

There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#1667 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:26 pm

Fischella wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Moody has no burst and no handle.. he looks like he knows how to play though and should be a good shooter and decent athlete but will probably be a bench guy. Reminds me Brandon Rush

I think he's very much this year's Saddiq Bey, in that it should be really clear what he is good at, and those things should translate, but he probably doesn't have a super high ceiling. I like him in the 10-20 range just fine, but not before - didn't really understand why people had him over Bouknight or Dosunmu.

What do you even think Ayo is? hardly a NBA prospect

I think he's a playmaking shooting guard who can score in isolation, run the PnR, hit open shots, and has the physical profile to be a fine defender. I don't know if that translates as something like Josh Richardson lite or James Harden lite, but I like him a lot.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#1668 » by ruffian253 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm

Riding the Gonzaga high, does Timme have a chance to go late first round?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#1669 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 pm

ruffian253 wrote:Riding the Gonzaga high, does Timme have a chance to go late first round?

possible, I don't think it's out of the question that he develops an outside shot either at some point. not sure I would take him at that point myself but he's definitely draftable.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1670 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 pm

Fischella wrote:There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class

Like hell there are lol I forgot I was talking to captain wonderful over here
congrats you made the skidmark club
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1671 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:48 pm

ruffian253 wrote:Riding the Gonzaga high, does Timme have a chance to go late first round?

no question he does...
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#1672 » by ruffian253 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:

possible, I don't think it's out of the question that he develops an outside shot either at some point. not sure I would take him at that point myself but he's definitely draftable.

I read somewhere that he has been training with Jermaine Oneal in Texas since high school, so you can see the similarities with excellent footwork and finesse low post moves. Fortunately, the big man is slowing to come back with Sabonis, Embiid, etc.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1673 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:32 pm

I know we're riding high on March Madness but I put together some scouting videos for Kuminga and Green for anyone interested in the G-League dudes.

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1674 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:15 pm

Fischella wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
mirmil wrote:So Nuggets kind of filled their backcourt. As far as I can see they are in need of SG. Which SGs could drop this year around 23rd draft pick? Which of them do you think would fit Nuggets the best from them all you listed?

Looking through the draft, there are a lot of players at this position I like when it's been relatively hard to come by them in recent years. A couple pages back I talked about Chris Duarte as someone who I see having no problem plugging in on a good team despite his age. Joel Ayayi is also ascending to that point where even if he's not going to be a big scorer, it's hard for me to see him not sticking around for a while. Aaron Henry from Michigan State is one of my favorite sleepers where he can really be an excellent defender from the two-guard spot and has improved well throughout college while being thrust into a bigger offensive role than he'll play in the NBA. I haven't done a deep dive on Davion Mitchell, who will probably rise past Denver's pick if he continues his play from the tournament, but it's hard not to love his defense.Then there are guys like Boston or Ziaire who definitely fit the bill of players Denver will take a chance on sight unseen if they happen to fall to the 20s.

I really like Aaron Henry but the point with him is to play him at that 3-4 hybrid role, alla Winslow, putting him at SG is shooting yourself in the foot

Duarte is a good one, Mitchell I would be surprised if he goes all that high eventually, considering they liked Hampton I'd not be surprised if they were into BJ yeah

In terms of the Nuggets though he'd mostly be spotting up and cutting on offense whatever his actual position is.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#1675 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:24 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Bouknight had that one 40-point game early in the season that made everyone move him up a ton, but he ended the year under 30% from 3 and was (predictably IMO) handled in the tournament by a Maryland team that had a lot of switchable defenders his size. The larger sample for his career still has him as a just 32% three-point shooter, which to me is low for someone who's not bringing a whole lot of passing or defense to the table. I'd gladly trade down anywhere in the lottery for a team that was looking to get him. I was higher than most people on Jahmi'us Ramsey last year but not top 10 high, and I'm having a hard time finding where Bouknight, who's 10 months older and had a worse freshman season than Ramsey, is supposed to be a better prospect than that.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#1676 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm

nolang1 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Bouknight had that one 40-point game early in the season that made everyone move him up a ton, but he ended the year under 30% from 3 and was (predictably IMO) handled in the tournament by a Maryland team that had a lot of switchable defenders his size. The larger sample for his career still has him as a just 32% three-point shooter, which to me is low for someone who's not bringing a whole lot of passing or defense to the table. I'd gladly trade down anywhere in the lottery for a team that was looking to get him. I was higher than most people on Jahmi'us Ramsey last year but not top 10 high, and I'm having a hard time finding where Bouknight, who's 10 months older and had a worse freshman season than Ramsey, is supposed to be a better prospect than that.

He shot 34% last year. I think there is a sample size issue this season, he's had some bad shooting nights for sure - but I think his form is translatable and his FT% is fairly decent. He's obviously an explosive athlete and draws a lot of fouls, I think that's an archetype that will translate pretty well.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#1677 » by Upperclass » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Timme is such a unique prospect.. The stuff he was doing out there and the way he does it.. not alot other guys can play this way.. so many head fakes, pump fakes, pinpoint passes, finishing over length, staying with guards on the perimeter.. idk who he compares to but some NBA team will take a chance that they can mold him into some kind of Brian Cardinal - Kevin Love - Jerome Williams hybrid
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#1678 » by MotownMadness » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 pm

Upperclass wrote:Timme is such a unique prospect.. The stuff he was doing out there and the way he does it.. not alot other guys can play this way.. so many head fakes, pump fakes, pinpoint passes, finishing over length, staying with guards on the perimeter.. idk who he compares to but some NBA team will take a chance that they can mold him into some kind of Brian Cardinal - Kevin Love - Jerome Williams hybrid

Guy is like a Mason Plumlee. That sounds disrespectful but it's not.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#1679 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 pm

I watched him at the Pangos camp in 2018 (should've made a thread about him!) and my takeaway then was that he'd be a better version of Georges Niang if he developed an outside shot. The Mobleys were on the same team in that event, and watching Timme get buckets last night while Evan was more deferential on offense than Isaiah definitely had some deja vu to it.

edit: here's the original post from then

Was at the Pangos All-American camp yesterday. Some players who stood out to me:

Isaiah Mobley (2019 high school class): skilled, smart big who can definitely play some point forward; equally adept at finding the open man when pushing the ball in transition or after attacking a closeout. Not a crazy run/jump athlete, but appears to have filled out some and increased his strength/explosiveness over the past few months.

N'Faly Dante (2020): the best rim protector in the high school ranks; in addition to his length and athleticism he communicates very well on defense and strikes a good balance between blocking shots and contesting them without taking himself out of rebounding position. Active on the offensive glass and is one of those players who can convert put-back dunks from unexpected angles. He didn't get the ball in the post much but looked fluid hitting a face-up jumper from about 15 feet and also did a nice job
holding onto the ball and finding the open man when the defense collapsed. I feel like there's some element of the stereotypical 'he's from Africa so he's older than his listed birthdate' kind of stuff holding him back from being ranked extremely highly, but he looks the part of a 16-year-old who's still gangly and growing into his frame.

Drew Timme (2019): 6'9-ish and can handle and pass really well for his size. Has a Georges Niang type of offensive game where he scores efficiently on well-timed cuts and unorthodox drives to the rim. More of an athlete and a much better defender/rebounder than Niang but doesn't seem to have range on his jumper just yet.

Precious Achiuwa (2019): 6'8" wing who moves well and is explosive but under control when attacking the rim. Versatile defender. Not an awful shooter but needs to improve from 3 like pretty much any other athletic player his age.

Sharife Cooper (2020): Shorter point guard who can get to the basket pretty much at will with his handling and change-of-pace ability. His jumper wasn't falling but the form looks good and he's been hitting them in EYBL. Wouldn't consider him some major disruptive force on defense, but he knows where to be.

CJ Walker (2019): About 6'8", very athletic, plays hard and covers a lot of ground. Seems to be in the process of expanding his game to the perimeter and will probably move up in the rankings due to his athleticism and the amount of skill he did show.

Looking back on this, everyone I listed who hasn't had their stock move up from that point just really sucks at free throws. Get Rick Barry on these guys ASAP haha.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#1680 » by Upperclass » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Timme is such a unique prospect.. The stuff he was doing out there and the way he does it.. not alot other guys can play this way.. so many head fakes, pump fakes, pinpoint passes, finishing over length, staying with guards on the perimeter.. idk who he compares to but some NBA team will take a chance that they can mold him into some kind of Brian Cardinal - Kevin Love - Jerome Williams hybrid

Guy is like a Mason Plumlee. That sounds disrespectful but it's not.

He doesn't appear to have anywhere that level of athleticism imo. He does play alot like Danny Ferry though actually

Return to NBA Draft