Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

2021 NBA Draft 

Post#621 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:25 pm

I don’t see anything from Cade that makes him a lock or a transcendent talent that demands he go #1. Those guys are almost always an overwhelmingly great scorer, or they have some blend of size/athleticism at their position that is unique, or some combo of both.

He’s a fantastic talent though, and in a fantastic class.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#622 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:59 pm

Sea2003 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Sea2003 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't see Cade as a consensus number one pick?

No. It’s just that kuminga and green haven’t played yet and Suggs got hurt last night.

Eh, I don't know about that. Cade has been perceived as the consensus number 1 pick by every draft outlet for the past year or so. The main thing for me is his lack of aggressiveness, particularly on the offensive side.

Right but two of the candidates that are more likely to unseat him haven't played yet. That was my point. As things stand now, if the thunder had number one pick I would be happy with Cade, Suggs or Mobley based on what I've seen.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#623 » by nolang1 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:34 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I don’t see anything from Cade that makes him a lock or a transcendent talent that demands he go #1. Those guys are almost always an overwhelmingly great scorer, or they have some blend of size/athleticism at their position that is unique, or some combo of both.

Whoever was comparing him to Luka did him no favors and I think the hype his senior season might have gotten a little out of control when he played on an all-time stacked high school team that likely included 3 other one-and-done first-rounders this year and another next year, but his combination of size and skill seems unique enough. Who really compares in recent memory? He's bigger, more athletic, and a better scorer than LaMelo, and Simmons' complete lack of a jumper always made him more of a power forward (where his size and athleticism isn't as much of an outlier) to me.

Cunningham is playing out of position so his team (whose best returning player is a non-shooting point guard) can get its best 5 players on the floor. There are plenty of prospects whose numbers have been excused (in a few cases justifiably so) due to lack of fit/talent around them, and Cade is still filling up the stat sheet and shooting good percentages.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#624 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:31 pm

nolang1 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
We're about 2 weeks past a draft where a lot of people had a tall point guard who didn't score efficiently but rebounded and assisted at a rate that suggested a future triple-double threat as the #1 prospect.

In the year 2010 it's not a novel concept that the box score doesn't capture defense very well (oops, I meant to type 2020 but even 10 years ago it still would apply) so it seems like common sense would dictate that anyone saying Barnes looked good would say his defense was really good. Other than that, what responses were you expecting - "OMG you're right on! I don't know what these other people are talking about. He only scored 8 points and didn't shoot well so he actually had a bad game." lol

I was expecting the responses I got: some color about what he looked like on the floor. It was a question without agenda.

If you’re one of these people who assumes every question about their favorite prospect is a sneak attack on their draft stock, you might want to take a beat and emotionally detach. You’ve gone to a weird place with this.

No, I wouldn't say Barnes is my favorite prospect; if you're assuming anyone who pokes fun at your lazy one-liner post is doing so because they're personally invested in the draft stock of someone they don't know and will never meet, maybe you might want to step back. I was just poking fun at your lazy one-liner post because A) if people are saying someone without a ton of points played really well, you can use some obvious process of elimination to infer they played good defense and B) even without that, it displays some general board-level ignorance about the box score to not understand that defense aside, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in 24 minutes is enough to indicate a player's pretty versatile, especially when triple doubles are much more rare in college than they are in the NBA.

8,6,6 on 4-11 FGA can be a good offensive game or a bad one. No one’s struggling to grasp that but you. Not sure what’s triggered your defensiveness but try to enjoy your day.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#625 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:32 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I don’t see anything from Cade that makes him a lock or a transcendent talent that demands he go #1. Those guys are almost always an overwhelmingly great scorer, or they have some blend of size/athleticism at their position that is unique, or some combo of both.

he was never a consensus #1, not sure why anyone was saying that in a class with Mobley and Green, and that's not a dig on Cade hes really good but so are these other guys.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#626 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:14 pm

Think we might end up getting Suggs or Mobley #1 and Cade going 3rd.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#627 » by nolang1 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:41 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

I was expecting the responses I got: some color about what he looked like on the floor. It was a question without agenda.

If you’re one of these people who assumes every question about their favorite prospect is a sneak attack on their draft stock, you might want to take a beat and emotionally detach. You’ve gone to a weird place with this.

No, I wouldn't say Barnes is my favorite prospect; if you're assuming anyone who pokes fun at your lazy one-liner post is doing so because they're personally invested in the draft stock of someone they don't know and will never meet, maybe you might want to step back. I was just poking fun at your lazy one-liner post because A) if people are saying someone without a ton of points played really well, you can use some obvious process of elimination to infer they played good defense and B) even without that, it displays some general board-level ignorance about the box score to not understand that defense aside, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in 24 minutes is enough to indicate a player's pretty versatile, especially when triple doubles are much more rare in college than they are in the NBA.

8,6,6 on 4-11 FGA can be a good offensive game or a bad one. No one’s struggling to grasp that but you. Not sure what’s triggered your defensiveness but try to enjoy your day.

You're the one being defensive about the fact you made a dumb, low-effort post worthy of ridicule (especially when mods are presumably supposed to be held to a higher standard). If someone who hadn't watched the game last night had posted a generic one-liner like "So I take it Evan Mobley is pretty good huh" that would be a similarly useless post.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#628 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Dec 4, 2020 5:05 pm

nolang1 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

You're the one being defensive about the fact you made a dumb, low-effort post worthy of ridicule (especially when mods are presumably supposed to be held to a higher standard). If someone who hadn't watched the game last night had posted a generic one-liner like "So I take it Evan Mobley is pretty good huh" that would be a similarly useless post.

Thank goodness you elevated that standard by encouraging me to look at his box... per 40.

Again, though. Have a good one. There’s a sweatiness to your posts that I’m going to disengage now.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
clyde21
RealGM

Post#629 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 5:27 pm

so is the G League ever actually gonna start or nah
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#630 » by Marcus » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:so is the G League ever actually gonna start or nah

Assuming sometime during the NBA season as per usual.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#631 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:27 pm

Marcus wrote:

Last I read, they were still trying to figure out if they were going to do a bubble and if they were going to do a 50 or 24 game season.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#632 » by Marcus » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:06 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Last I read, they were still trying to figure out if they were going to do a bubble and if they were going to do a 50 or 24 game season.

They better bubble. It would be the best thing to do id say. Small enough league to do so I would think.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#633 » by tundraknight » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:24 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2020/12/03/after-choosing-nba-g-league-path-over-college-jalen-green-wishes-he-were-playing-games-now-but-doesnt-regret-his-decision/?sh=51e8d887f490

Jalen Green has been watching College Hoops and really wants to play now.

Obviously he wouldn’t admit it if he actually does have second thoughts about the decision he made to go to the G League instead of College. But that’s what it seems like with the uncertainty of the schedule.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#634 » by MemphisX » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:14 pm

Some schools still haven’t played a game yet.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM

Post#635 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:36 pm

we still haven't seen a lot of guys, and some guys like only once (Barnes) lol
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#636 » by doordoor123 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 1:39 am

Really good inside-out defender for a big
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#637 » by kobyz » Sat Dec 5, 2020 5:48 am

The-Power wrote:Jeremiah Robinson-Earl deserves a mention in this thread. He's been straight up dominant in his first two games and he has a profile that a lot of teams should like in a PF. Just an excellent all-around player on both ends.

Second coming of Shane Battier
clyde21
RealGM

Post#638 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 7:26 am

why isn't Josh Giddey talked about more? I know GD's talked about him a bunch but the kid looks mad legit to me.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#639 » by The Moose » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:why isn't Josh Giddey talked about more? I know GD's talked about him a bunch but the kid looks mad legit to me.

wouldn't be surprised if hes more impactful than Lamelo was last year in the NBL
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#640 » by karkinos » Sat Dec 5, 2020 6:18 pm

Marcus wrote:
karkinos wrote:i like josh christopher probably more than most...love guys who compete on both ends of the floor.

I like Josh a lot too. Think he'll be a better pro than college player. Think the environment he's drafted to will be a big factor with his playing style. He's a switchable starter sixth man in a Lou Will kinda role to me.

we talked about him in may

i think he started off a lot stronger than i expected. i think he also plays a lot bigger than his size.

Return to NBA Draft