Combo/Hybrid guards ranked

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Combo/Hybrid guards ranked 

Post#1 » by Goldbum » Thu May 7, 2020 12:22 am

This year seems to be full of 6'4" and above guys with good length who fashion themselves a PG but might have the size to be more of A SG or at least guard some of those guys... just curious how you feel about the group and how you would stack them.
Currently I have them ranked:
1. Killian Hayes: Just my preference his game feels Taylor made for today's game. His ability to shift gears and wreck a defense off the bounce is baby Harden esq..
2 Lamelo Ball: I can see why most have him as the number 1 guy. He makes reads like prime Rando and has the best hight of the group and that unorthodox shot goes in. Also he appears to be an excellent entry passer which is sort of a lost art in the spread it out game of today.
3. Tyrese Haliburton: An excellent floor general who doesn't need the ball to wreck a game. Feels like an elite sort of role player. A possible Draymond Green level contributor(obviously very different player). Just make an enormous impact all over the court.
4.Theo Maledon: Tons of potential but the least amount of polish...Possible highest ceiling, lowest floor type guy. Amazing athlete, tight dribble.
5. R.J. Hampton: Size scores mentality, highly skilled, lots of sauce and that "it" factor. Reminds me of what I liked about OJ Mayo before he wasn't any good...

Anyway I'm sure some of you have seen a lot more of these guys so I'm curious how you evaluate them. I feel like one or two could get lost in the shuffle and slide becoming great value picks...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: Combo/Hybrid guards ranked 

Post#2 » by getrichordie » Thu May 7, 2020 1:52 am

I thought the knock on Maledon is that he wasn’t a great athlete. He has size, sure, but I think he’s a good athlete, not great.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Combo/Hybrid guards ranked 

Post#3 » by No-Man » Thu May 7, 2020 7:57 am

Hayes, Ball and Maledon are def PGs, Hayes is bad off-ball, LaMelo you want him on ball, and Maledon is just too bad on defense to play anything else at the moment

I think Ball ultimately is likely going to be better on D as a wing, just guarding the least dangerous player, but his size could help bothering PGs too, Hayes is the most versatile and better defender of the bunch

I don't think they qualify for this, whereas Haliburton, unless he gets another play-making wing next to him, and Hampton (straight up a 2) are wingier

Return to NBA Draft