Daniel Oturu (Minnesota)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,710
And1: 1,457
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 am

OGLife wrote:Right from the get go, he reminds me a lot of Ibaka


:lol:

Oh boy. As I was saying...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,271
And1: 11,647
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#22 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 pm

getrichordie wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Most mocks have Oturu going in the top 10 for a while now.


Can you provide evidence of this? I haven't seen any. Are you confusing Oturu with Okongwu? If not, please show me some examples of Oturu going top 10 in mocks.

Oturu, Okongwu, Okoro.....same difference
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,473
And1: 1,812
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#23 » by getrichordie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Most mocks have Oturu going in the top 10 for a while now.


Can you provide evidence of this? I haven't seen any. Are you confusing Oturu with Okongwu? If not, please show me some examples of Oturu going top 10 in mocks.

Oturu, Okongwu, Okoro.....same difference


Lol. I think he genuinely was confused. At least, I hope so.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
hugepatsfan
Senior
Posts: 627
And1: 489
Joined: May 28, 2020
       

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#24 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Do people think Oturu can switch on the pick and roll?
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,036
And1: 3,034
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:42 am

Klomp wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Fun fact that everyone should know about Oturu: His dad is 5'5".

Correct, he gets his height from his 6'1" mother.

wth with that genetic angle...who cares if his unlikley to be actual biological familia have stubs for legs?
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,271
And1: 11,647
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#26 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 am

hugepatsfan wrote:Do people think Oturu can switch on the pick and roll?

Not regularly against top perimeter players, I don't think
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Goldbum
Veteran
Posts: 2,538
And1: 265
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
     

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#27 » by Goldbum » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:59 am

Baby Nurkic? Seriously I watch his tape and just keep thinking how much he reminds me of the Bosnian Beast.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,271
And1: 11,647
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#28 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 am

Goldbum wrote:Baby Nurkic? Seriously I watch his tape and just keep thinking how much he reminds me of the Bosnian Beast.

That's a decent comp, I think. One of the better ones I've seen for him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
kobyz
Senior
Posts: 603
And1: 134
Joined: Oct 31, 2006

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#29 » by kobyz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 pm

he reminds me Vin Baker
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,948
And1: 887
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#30 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:32 pm

What about a more fluid and /or thinner shotblocking version of Al Jefferson with a 3 or shot? Can you guys make any comparisons there perhaps? :dontknow:
Image
Goldbum
Veteran
Posts: 2,538
And1: 265
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
     

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#31 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:What about a more fluid and /or thinner shotblocking version of Al Jefferson with a 3 or shot? Can you guys make any comparisons there perhaps? :dontknow:

I don't think so Jefferson had a mobility issue not just a sub standard explosion. He was more of a black whole.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,948
And1: 887
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#32 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:17 am

Goldbum wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:What about a more fluid and /or thinner shotblocking version of Al Jefferson with a 3 or shot? Can you guys make any comparisons there perhaps? :dontknow:

I don't think so Jefferson had a mobility issue not just a sub standard explosion. He was more of a black whole.


Yeah, that's true man. I'm actually pretty high on Oturu, And wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go as high as somewhere in the teens to 20s'. I made the Al Jefferson comp mainly due to how dominant a post player he was back in his prime. And he easy he made it look scoring. But again, as mentioned, I do see Oturu as being a more fluid (mobile/agile) and better shot blocking ( more athletic) version of Al Jefferson. And with a three point shot. So in hindsight, It might have just been better to summarize the comp as: A much faster, more athletic rich mans' version of Al Jefferson. But both still being quite dominant ( and scoring easily) in the post. :D

I do think that either Boston or Dallas looks to draft him, Depending on whichever team hasn't already taken Achiuwa first.
Image
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
Posts: 3,239
And1: 2,274
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#33 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 pm

The Nurkic comparisons are pretty good IMO, but I have not seen the passing from Oturu. Other than that, I can get behind that comp.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,473
And1: 1,812
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#34 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Yeah, Oturu isn't much of a passing big, but we've seen bigs show competent passing chops at pro level after not showing it in college. Could be due to his role on the Gophers. All of his teammates (even Marcus Carr) shot around 50 TS% or below. So it's feasible that also dwarfed his AST%.

Nurkic wasn't a passing big before he came into the league and I'm sure that's true for quite a few bigs that have played in the NBA.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,036
And1: 3,034
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I like him more as a Miles Turner type long term.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,265
And1: 3,307
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#36 » by Fischella » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm

there are ridiculous threads in RealGM but this one may top them all and it has only 2 pages, unreal
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,036
And1: 3,034
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Fischella wrote:there are ridiculous threads in RealGM but this one may top them all and it has only 2 pages, unreal

I take it you are not a fan of a good story lol
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,950
And1: 1,917
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:11 pm

OGLife wrote:Right from the get go, he reminds me a lot of Ibaka

I could live with him being Ibaka 2.0.
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,950
And1: 1,917
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Daniel Oturu (Minnesota) 

Post#39 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:13 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Goldbum wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:What about a more fluid and /or thinner shotblocking version of Al Jefferson with a 3 or shot? Can you guys make any comparisons there perhaps? :dontknow:

I don't think so Jefferson had a mobility issue not just a sub standard explosion. He was more of a black whole.


Yeah, that's true man. I'm actually pretty high on Oturu, And wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go as high as somewhere in the teens to 20s'. I made the Al Jefferson comp mainly due to how dominant a post player he was back in his prime. And he easy he made it look scoring. But again, as mentioned, I do see Oturu as being a more fluid (mobile/agile) and better shot blocking ( more athletic) version of Al Jefferson. And with a three point shot. So in hindsight, It might have just been better to summarize the comp as: A much faster, more athletic rich mans' version of Al Jefferson. But both still being quite dominant ( and scoring easily) in the post. :D

I do think that either Boston or Dallas looks to draft him, Depending on whichever team hasn't already taken Achiuwa first.

Big Al was a true artist in the post. I love watching players with that skill level.

Return to NBA Draft