Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: 16 year old prospect: Victor Wembanyama 

Post#141 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu May 12, 2022 5:08 am

Hoopz Afrik wrote:I recently heard James Gist, former Terps star, talking about Victor on a podcast and that got me even more excited than I already was. I hope it all works out for him because he the raw tools to be somewhat of a new-school version of what Ralph Sampson was back in the day (without the injuries that derailed him).

Ralph Sampson is very underrated when it comes to guys that had ridiculous potential and kinda got derailed.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#142 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 pm

Sampson has always been my primary com for Victor. But honestly, I think he is better. Ralph averaged 1.6 BPG and never surpassed 2.4. Victor is going to average 2.5+ over his career IMO.

Also think Victor has a legit 3PT shot. I can see 35% for his career there as primarily a spot up guy (IE none of the dribble pull up nonsense that KP tries at times).
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#143 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri May 20, 2022 4:41 pm

Here's Kyle Hines, a EuroLeague vet/legend, interviewing Victor Wembanyama a few months ago.

Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#144 » by MemphisX » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:34 am

Has anyone heard about the possibility of him joining Scoot in the G League? Would be an amazing coup for the NBA if that happened. Might even get some nationally televised G League games.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#145 » by remi_222 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Wemby is probably going to be transfered to Paris Basketball, he won't play the Euroleague but will play the Eurocup (2nd best european competition). There he will be the leader, will be way more exposed. The owner of Paris is David Kahn, the former Wolves GM, who also got Begarin and Kamagate drafted these last 2 yrs.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#146 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:08 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:Here's Kyle Hines, a EuroLeague vet/legend, interviewing Victor Wembanyama a few months ago.

Kyle Hines. Ugh, whenever I hear his name, I just think about the fact that the voters of the Southern Conference voted him Player of the Year over freshman Steph Curry. Even though Curry outscored him and lead Davidson to the Conference title and to the NCAA tournament. Hines' UNC Greensboro squad went 16-14.

Cool interview, though.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#147 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:10 pm

As someone who watches zero euro ball. I know this kid has been getting talked about for a few years now. Are we talking same level of prospect as Luka or no? Or just a very different discussion all together? Not nearly the player Luka was entering the draft, but just as high if not higher ceiling?
FrightCoward
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#148 » by FrightCoward » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:As someone who watches zero euro ball. I know this kid has been getting talked about for a few years now. Are we talking same level of prospect as Luka or no? Or just a very different discussion all together? Not nearly the player Luka was entering the draft, but just as high if not higher ceiling?

I’ve heard best prospect since LeBron, but as a big, are we really higher on him than Oden? Oden was being touted as the next Bill Russell for years even before hitting the draft or even college. His hype was intense.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#149 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:58 pm

FrightCoward wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:As someone who watches zero euro ball. I know this kid has been getting talked about for a few years now. Are we talking same level of prospect as Luka or no? Or just a very different discussion all together? Not nearly the player Luka was entering the draft, but just as high if not higher ceiling?

I’ve heard best prospect since LeBron, but as a big, are we really higher on him than Oden? Oden was being touted as the next Bill Russell for years even before hitting the draft or even college. His hype was intense.

best prospect since LeBron was Zion.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#150 » by Jadoogar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:33 pm

In the Euroleague, he averaged:
13 games. 17.5 minutes per game, 6.5 points per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, 1.9 blocks per game, 34.8 percent from the field, 30.3 percent on 3-point attempts, 66.7 percent on free throws.

Considering these numbers and the fact that he will be likely the #1 pick next, it's absolutely wild that Luka Doncic wasn't the consensus #1 pick.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#151 » by baldur » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 pm

Potential. Luka literally accomplished every individual and team success in Europe by 18.
Sphynx
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#152 » by Sphynx » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:51 am

clyde21 wrote:
FrightCoward wrote:

best prospect since LeBron was Zion.

Yep. How quickly people forget.

Not sure you are going to get US presidents, celebrities etc going out to see Wembanyama play underage ball.

Not sure he causes a correction for a company the size of Nike either with an oncourt incident.
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#153 » by bucknut » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:25 am

How do we compare him to Chet offensively ? Literally almost the same player, chet was a unicorn and this guys the same player.........maybe Chet dribbles little more comfortably ? has few more in the repertoire offensively ? the spin, the dirk fall away off one leg

Obviously broader shoulders for Victor, and blocking shots with left hand is insane. Shooting 3's with left hand ......how many blocks does he have at gonzaga playing chets minutes ? 6 ?

Dude displayed a sidestep steback 3.....only thing missing is some off dribble pullups and a post game. If he fills out adds another 50 pounds and adds a postgame could be a top 10 all time. The next evolution is these unicorns who also have a post game seems impossible though
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#154 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 am

bucknut wrote:How do we compare him to Chet offensively ? Literally almost the same player, chet was a unicorn and this guys the same player.........maybe Chet dribbles little more comfortably ? has few more in the repertoire offensively ? the spin, the dirk fall away off one leg

Obviously broader shoulders for Victor, and blocking shots with left hand is insane. Shooting 3's with left hand ......how many blocks does he have at gonzaga playing chets minutes ? 6 ?

Dude displayed a sidestep steback 3.....only thing missing is some off dribble pullups and a post game. If he fills out adds another 50 pounds and adds a postgame could be a top 10 all time. The next evolution is these unicorns who also have a post game seems impossible though

He's actually considerably taller, and when they faced off, he looked like a better player than Chet head to head, that's what a lot of people saw as one of his big feathers in his cap.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#155 » by K_chile22 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Way more dynamic of a shooter than Chet imo. Chet never really got shots from three off movement like Victor has flashed at a much younger age
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#156 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm

It won't happen, but there's a few spots in the NBL which I think would be really great spots for him.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,653

Post#157 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:58 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,653

Post#158 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#159 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 pm

Luka at age 19 was best player in Europe, at worst top 2 with Nando at the time. VIctor at age 18 put all time terrible efficiency stats for a center In Euroleague, he wasnt ready at all. Two complete opposite situations, Luka was the superstar, Victor is the project. Victor couldn't really score efficiently even in junior tournaments, people who think they are getting taller KD simply do not know what they are talking about. Put Victor in the NBA right now, he would be great rim protector from day one probably, but offensively he would just float around 3 point line and he would be left wide open cause his shot is just a work in progress.

Victor IMO could be modern day Bill Russell, all time great defensively, but when you gonna look back at his percentages and points per game, you will not see a superstar.

P.S. I am incredibly disappointed hes leaving Euroleague. Weak move, guy wasn't happy with his role, so he downgraded the competition...
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#160 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 pm

and just like that, the #1 pick is wide open!

Return to NBA Draft