Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Re: 16 year old prospect: Victor Wembanyama 

Post#101 » by peZt » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:03 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
jman3134 wrote:The highest upside of anyone outside the NBA at the moment. No brainer number 1 whenever he applies.

Yup clearly not sure what some of these posters are hating on. Obv looking at by far the best prospect in the world. No question he was the best player in fiba and he just turned 17 in January.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absolutely incredible performance from Victor Wembanyama leading France to the semis w/20 points and 8 blocks in an overtime win over Lithuania. Might be the most talented prospect I&#39;ve ever scouted. Ridiculously skilled offensively w/DPOY-type potential. #1 pick favorite in 2023 <a href="https://t.co/E1NU6tdKeR">pic.twitter.com/E1NU6tdKeR</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah not sure either. Show me another 17 year old 7'4 kid who can shoot, handle and pass the ball the way Vic can.
You can't expect him to also bully people in the post, that's physcally impossible with his anatomics. If he could do that as well, we'd be talking about the greatest prospect ever basically. So not really sure what people are expecting.

And as if comparing him to Porzingis was an insult. A taller pre injury Porzingis with better ball handling, passing skills and even better defense is the best big in the league
peZt
Sixth Man

Post#102 » by peZt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 am

Standing next to him is Zach Edey, who is listed as 7'4. Going by that Vic should be 7'5 at least lol.

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#103 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:48 pm

peZt wrote:Standing next to him is Zach Edey, who is listed as 7'4. Going by that Vic should be 7'5 at least lol.

Glad to see that Edey made the tournament's best 5 squad. He definitely earned it. He was amazing.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
monalotry
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#104 » by monalotry » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:05 pm

peZt wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
jman3134 wrote:The highest upside of anyone outside the NBA at the moment. No brainer number 1 whenever he applies.

Yup clearly not sure what some of these posters are hating on. Obv looking at by far the best prospect in the world. No question he was the best player in fiba and he just turned 17 in January.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absolutely incredible performance from Victor Wembanyama leading France to the semis w/20 points and 8 blocks in an overtime win over Lithuania. Might be the most talented prospect I&#39;ve ever scouted. Ridiculously skilled offensively w/DPOY-type potential. #1 pick favorite in 2023 <a href="https://t.co/E1NU6tdKeR">pic.twitter.com/E1NU6tdKeR</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah not sure either. Show me another 17 year old 7'4 kid who can shoot, handle and pass the ball the way Vic can.
You can't expect him to also bully people in the post, that's physcally impossible with his anatomics. If he could do that as well, we'd be talking about the greatest prospect ever basically. So not really sure what people are expecting.

And as if comparing him to Porzingis was an insult. A taller pre injury Porzingis with better ball handling, passing skills and even better defense is the best big in the league

Not to say he isn't, but can you show me examples of Vic's plus passing? Not to say he lacks vision, but it wasn't something that popped off the screen in the single game I watched.
peZt
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by peZt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:21 pm

monalotry wrote:
peZt wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Read on Twitter

Not to say he isn't, but can you show me examples of Vic's plus passing? Not to say he lacks vision, but it wasn't something that popped off the screen in the single game I watched.

He's no Jokic, he won't get you 6 assists a game. But he definitely has better passing instincts than most young bigs. In these clips he was 15 years old. Passing highlights start at 6:20

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#106 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 pm

He will for sure be a plus passer. 4-5APG isnt crazy IMO.

He isnt going to be a point-center but he has shown the ability to make the right passes out of doubles at a very young age. Thats a great sign for future development.

The only downside this kid has is that historically guys his size have injury issues, but to me that isnt reason enough to pass on him. Keep his minutes reasonable and play him alot in the POs when the games count.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#107 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 pm

peZt wrote:Standing next to him is Zach Edey, who is listed as 7'4. Going by that Vic should be 7'5 at least lol.

Edey looks same height as Chet here...which is 7...not sure where they got the 7-4 stuff from
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#108 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:31 pm

Wow these are teens and they have all that tape on them. Ortho tape on his right shoulder at the tender age of 17?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#109 » by God Squad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:22 am

His frame or shoulders looks better than Chet IMO. Frame should fill out better.
peZt
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by peZt » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:45 am

God Squad wrote:

His frame or shoulders looks better than Chet IMO. Frame should fill out better.

I think every Basketball player in the history of Basketball had a better frame than Chet :lol:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,418

Post#111 » by Big J » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm

peZt wrote:
God Squad wrote:

I think every Basketball player in the history of Basketball had a better frame than Chet :lol:

Manute Bol?
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 484

Post#112 » by Stribor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:00 pm

peZt wrote:
God Squad wrote:

Kukoc

BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#113 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:04 pm

That Kukoc picture gives me mad hope for Chet.

I think thats a guy he compares well to also. I dont see him as some 25ppg scoring monster. More like an elite #2 option that does a bit of everything. Much better pop in his step than Tony when going vertical as well. A Kukoc w/ lob dunk potential and better rim finishing is probably a 20/10/4 guy who also makes positive non-stat contributions.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#114 » by sisibilio » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:05 am

Kukoc was a SF until late in his carreer, he even played at SG for Jugoplastica.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,603

Post#115 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:28 pm

sisibilio wrote:Kukoc was a SF until late in his carreer, he even played at SG for Jugoplastica.

Its crazy to think how game has changed in the last 13 years of so, We used to had 2 non shooters on the court pretty much all the time, we didnt even thought that centers could or should shoot, and PFs were just smaller versions of C, guys like Stojakovic, Marion, Kirilenko were obvious 3s cause they had perimeter skills, Stojakovic was almost a guard, today he would be an obvious 4 man at the least. Dario Saric is a center today, in 2005 I guarantee you he would have been an SF.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#116 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:46 am

Read on Twitter
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#117 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Big J wrote:He's 7'3 and I haven't seen him make a single post move. Reminds me of Porzingis.

His offense is exactly like Porzingis, thats true, he cant score in a very efficient way and he cant push anyone, but he is playing against older kids and will probably play in Euroleague next season. Not sure how to take it, will it make him stronger or will it even more make him fall in love in settled, terrible jump shots and fadeaways.

he is pretty much KP as a prospect but obviously has everyone's attention so he is favorite to go number 1 not a lock.
i would be very careful with his health and progress of offense not saying he is a bust but all of his comparable projects (giannis,kp, gobert) were taken not high lotto and paid off. Its a risk vs reward so as number 1 your expected to be as good as Giannis he needs to show he is a 20ppg Gobert not just get exploited in playoffs. In retrospect, I would have been comfortable taking gobert late first even with giannis elite ball handling shown in greece.

As much as Chet is getting trashed he seems to be going through that zion cycle from underrated to overrated to underrated. Def prefer his archetype and to me he seems to be a much safer choice if i had pick one although he is 2 yrs older. He has elite shooting, defense, playmaking like him much better than Cade.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,603

Post#118 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:04 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Big J wrote:He's 7'3 and I haven't seen him make a single post move. Reminds me of Porzingis.

His offense is exactly like Porzingis, thats true, he cant score in a very efficient way and he cant push anyone, but he is playing against older kids and will probably play in Euroleague next season. Not sure how to take it, will it make him stronger or will it even more make him fall in love in settled, terrible jump shots and fadeaways.

he is pretty much KP as a prospect but obviously has everyone's attention so he is favorite to go number 1 not a lock.
i would be very careful with his health and progress of offense not saying he is a bust but all of his comparable projects (giannis,kp, gobert) were taken not high lotto and paid off. Its a risk vs reward so as number 1 your expected to be as good as Giannis he needs to show he is a 20ppg Gobert not just get exploited in playoffs. In retrospect, I would have been comfortable taking gobert late first even with giannis elite ball handling shown in greece.

As much as Chet is getting trashed he seems to be going through that zion cycle from underrated to overrated to underrated. Def prefer his archetype and to me he seems to be a much safer choice if i had pick one although he is 2 yrs older. He has elite shooting, defense, playmaking like him much better than Cade.

Porzingis was very good defender when healthy, but Victor still has potential as an all timer, that is main difference. That said he is not very fast and we don't know how well he will move when he adds weight, and he need to add it a lot.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#119 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:58 pm

I do worry about his speed. He is a twig and looks pretty slow. What happens when he puts on weight? He has really good lateral mobility for his size but his straight line speed is confusingly slow IMO.

Then again, the slowness may be a symptom of being a child and 7'3. Sorta a baby deer scenario where he just doesnt understand his body yet and is growing into it.

Still, what a compelling, unique prospect.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Post#120 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I do worry about his speed. He is a twig and looks pretty slow. What happens when he puts on weight? He has really good lateral mobility for his size but his straight line speed is confusingly slow IMO.

Then again, the slowness may be a symptom of being a child and 7'3. Sorta a baby deer scenario where he just doesnt understand his body yet and is growing into it.

Still, what a compelling, unique prospect.

The lateral quickness is more important than speed for an NBA big, and when he puts on more weight he should get more athletic, same goes for Chet too.

Return to NBA Draft